Welcome to Gaia! ::

i hated ellen foster with a passion scream
UniqueChild
Oh my word. I'm sure they are many Charles Dickens fans spread everywhere but I'm not one of them. The one book that just ate it for me was Great Expectations . Alot of description were excessively detailed, for me atleast. The story itself I enjoyed but I felt it was drowned by details. crying I agonized over that book, then turned around and wrote an essay and created my own news paper on it...blast that Pip...

Heh... I hated that book too. I've never really liked Charles Dickens.

One of the few other reknowned authors I cannot stand is John Steinbeck, simply because all of his books/stories are so depressing. The Pearl was the most horrible book in the world. It's not even like there's a point to the sadness, his writing is always just so... hopeless.

Book I had to read and hated? A Prayer For Owen Meany. And Boy's Tale, I think it was called. Both of those were pretty awful.
It seems to me that a "bad book" is all in the eye of the beholder, so to speak. After reading through all of these posts, it seems to me that every gripe is a matter of opinion. But then again, I suppose that that is the whole purpose of this thread. Anyways, I didn't like The Fellowship of the Ring. I thought it was very boring because tolkein spent too much time explaining everything. But than again, it is all simply my opinion.
For me it is a the Hatchet. which i was forced to listen to. I won't even touch atlas shrugged.
Eliana
UniqueChild
Oh my word. I'm sure they are many Charles Dickens fans spread everywhere but I'm not one of them. The one book that just ate it for me was Great Expectations . Alot of description were excessively detailed, for me atleast. The story itself I enjoyed but I felt it was drowned by details. crying I agonized over that book, then turned around and wrote an essay and created my own news paper on it...blast that Pip...

Heh... I hated that book too. I've never really liked Charles Dickens.

One of the few other reknowned authors I cannot stand is John Steinbeck, simply because all of his books/stories are so depressing. The Pearl was the most horrible book in the world. It's not even like there's a point to the sadness, his writing is always just so... hopeless.

Book I had to read and hated? A Prayer For Owen Meany. And Boy's Tale, I think it was called. Both of those were pretty awful.

OhmiGOD. The Pearl is the worst book EVER.
Wow, this is a toughie, I am not exactly a fan of reading, lol biggrin . More of wirting. Um..... The worst book i have read is, "See spot run", it makes no sense at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE THAT BOOK!!!!!!!!!!! I would burn it, but I cant. Or else it would be like F451, lol! wink

zisme heart
The worst book I have ever read? Well... I just read the good ones over and over, so the bad ones get pushed out of my brain and go out through my ear. sweatdrop

A lot of books kind of droned on for me, but something about them made me turn to page. razz

I gave up on a lot of books and went back to them later and found out I liked it, except The Moorchild. Nothing about it made me want to go farther than the third chapter. x_x
Life of Pi by Yann Martel. So many people love it but there is no book that I hate more... with maybe the exception of the Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.
zisme
Wow, this is a toughie, I am not exactly a fan of reading, lol biggrin . More of wirting. Um..... The worst book i have read is, "See spot run", it makes no sense at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE THAT BOOK!!!!!!!!!!! I would burn it, but I cant. Or else it would be like F451, lol! wink

zisme heart

Ugh. I loathed F451. We had to read it for language arts--it was sooo confusing, and depressing, too!

But by far the most depressing books I have read are the two that I have to write 200-word journal entries for each chapter for...just to get in advanced lang. arts next year. Night and Of Mice and Men. I know that Night is a holocaust book and it's supposed to be depressing, so that we can "take responsibility from our past" and "learn from it for the sake of our future," but I was not alive back then, and I feel absolutely no guilt on the matter. Sure, I'm extremely sorry for what happened in the holocaust, but it wasn't my fault and I don't want to read about it.

Of Mice and Men looked like it was going to be ok, until I got to the end!!! Awful!!!! Of course they have to shoot Lennie...what a wonderful book.[/major sarcasm]

Oh yeah, I hated The Pearl, too. And it's weird that I'm ranting and raving over these awful books...I love books, really. My English teachers just have horrible taste. Every single one of these books I read for Language Arts.
Just for fun, here are the books people said they hated that I liked.
Life of Pi - I loved this one. It was just so cool--one of my favorites, actually. So cool...
F451 - I read this around the time I read Animal Farm, 1984 and Brave New World. Creepy books, all of them, but how can you not like them? They are a;; really interesting, and it's so weird to think of a world like that--and what our world could become.
A Prayer for Owen Meany - I like this author, even though his name escapes me right now. Wonderful book.
Of Mice and Men - I know it's depressing, but I still liked it. I don't know, it was good.
The Pearl - We spent way longer on this book than it deserved in eighth grade, but I actually thought it was decent. Steinbeck isn't my favorite author, but he's undeniably good.
The Fellowship of the Ring - Took me awhile to get into, but the trilogy taken together is so good--how can I turn against one book? I loved this one just as well as the others.
A Wrinkle in Time - Not really memorable, but I enjoyed it.
I think that's all. I don't think I've read any of the others sweatdrop
Being the loser that I am, I must defend Dickens and Steinbeck. Although Pip was horrible and nearly killed <i>Great Expectations</i> for me, but Joe saved it.

<i>The Door in the Wall</i> I don't remember who wrote it or what it was about. I jsut know I hated it and it ruined my life in 6th grade.
Also <i>Death Be Not Proud</i> was depressing as hell. Don't remember who wrote it, but reading about the kid dying from brain cancer = not fun. Also <i>The Red Badge of Courage</i>, <i>Jane Eyre</i>, and that's about my list of despised books. Other than that, I don't think I've met a book I haven't liked.
I'm probably going to get a lot of flack for this, but I couldn't stand Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix. I wouldn't of read the whole thing, but I forced myself to wade through it in the hopes that it would get better, which it never did. And no, it's not because a beloved char (who I wasn't that crazy about to begin with) was killed off, so don't try to drag me down that road. And since I couldn't give it away to my friends, or even sell it (everybody already owned a copy of the damn thing) I ended up donating it to my school library.
I'm none too fond of the Circle of Magic books by Tamora Pierce, but that was mostly my fault. Her Protector of the Small series may have raised my expectations too high.
I've never read a book I didn't like, but there are that I liked less then usual. I found "20 thousand leages under the sea" was kind of boring. I always ended up scanning though parts to get to the interesting bits.
Foxglove_Wanderer
I'm probably going to get a lot of flack for this, but I couldn't stand Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix. I wouldn't of read the whole thing, but I forced myself to wade through it in the hopes that it would get better, which it never did. And no, it's not because a beloved char (who I wasn't that crazy about to begin with) was killed off, so don't try to drag me down that road. And since I couldn't give it away to my friends, or even sell it (everybody already owned a copy of the damn thing) I ended up donating it to my school library.
I'm none too fond of the Circle of Magic books by Tamora Pierce, but that was mostly my fault. Her Protector of the Small series may have raised my expectations too high.
I agree, it was deffinatly my least favorite of all of those books. I love the series, but that book was a disapointment. Personaly, Serius was one of my favorite characters, but that's not why i didn't liked the book either. Also, the Circle of magic was okay, not as good as The Protector of the small, but i liked it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff