Life as a Fungus 0.28571428571429 28.6% [ 10 ]
Total Votes:[ 35 ]
1 2 >

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
So, the literary devil (who presumably looks like Edgar Allan Poe with Stephanie Meyer's face grafted onto him) owes you a favour. Maybe you helped him clean out his garage or something. He's agreed to make you a great writer, with no obstacles in your way. No publisher or literary agent will ever reject your work. Even your first drafts will be considered publishable (a clear sign that there's sorcery involved). Writing will pay for all of your basic needs, and you will never be forced to punch the clock at a day job ever again. Soon enough, you'll forget what a rejection letter or a boss even looks like.

But there's a catch.

Seriously, he's a devil, of course there's a catch. You'll be given two options for how your writing career will turn out, and there are no intermediate options available.

Option One - You'll be one of the most popular authors the world has ever seen. Your books will set sales records that make Harry Potter look like a household guide to breeding head lice, and first edition prints of your books will be regarded as collector's items. There will be movies, spin-off comic books, conventions, TV series and theme parks. Your books will be translated into every human language with enough known words to recreate them, and you'll have to squeeze in writing time between travelling the world on book tours and posing with the A-list stars from your movies on the red carpet. You're forced to make your family sign contracts agreeing not to auction off the personalized books you give them for Christmas. Everywhere you go (transported, of course, in the stylish flying limousine you paid for in cash on a whim), fans will sings your praises and beg you for autographs. Your publisher jokingly releases an anthology of your grocery lists and is floored when it outsells the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series.

But, no matter how hard you try, and no matter how much depth, social commentary and political satire you put into your books, they will never be regarded as anything more than shallow, amusing stories. Parents and teachers who see a child reading your books will shake their heads and say "Well, at least he's reading something." You could put out a book about a woman with cancer who is beaten to death by a medical insurance representative, and it would received as nothing more than a mindless tearjerker. After you die, your books are put up on the shelves next to the Twilight series, and the only people who remember you hundreds of years from now are the Anthropologists studying your inexplicable popularity.

Option Two - Your books are some of the most incredible - albeit obscure - things ever written. Grown men openly weep in public while reading them, and after you receive your Nobel Prize in literature (an accomplishment which, bizarrely enough, fails to catapult you to worldwide fame), the selection committee has to put out a memo reminding itself that there are other authors writing books besides you. You occasionally get letters from PhD students who are basing their thesis on your work, and reading your entire bibliography is practically mandatory for any serious literary scholar. You have to stop printing your books with all of their award medals on the cover, because they would need to be inconveniently poster-sized to fit them all.

But no matter what you do, you are never able to break free of obscurity. No movies are ever made, and you're lucky to be recognized in public even once per year. Book royalties aren't nearly sufficient to cover your expenses, and you mostly finance your modest lift with arts grants. The only time you ever meet fans is when you give talks in front of an enraptured audience of perhaps a dozen people. Your books are celebrated for centuries after your death by the few scholars who have heard of you, and you are consistently remembered as the greatest author of the 21st century.

This literary devil really doesn't like to be refused, and if you turn down his gift, he'll turn you into an aggressive species of fungus. So which do you choose - shallow popularity, or brilliant obscurity?

8,700 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
One.

The appeal of the second seems to be some kind of immortality, but it's a bogus immortality at best.
I think I'd prefer to make a living doing what I love over the alternative. Plus I don't have an ego large enough to ever imagine my work will stand the test of decades much less centuries, even if there was some sort of wish that could make it happen.

Writers like Meyers are a blessing to the industry. They sell a ton of books and get people reading. This profit lets publishers invest in other writers who may take decades, if ever, return a profit. Not that bad of a pair of shoes to fill nor is it that shallow at all.
I voted for Brilliant Obscurity, though it's easy to say that when we're not faced with an actual choice. On one side, yes, it would be amazing to make millions out of something I love doing, and to inspire people to read more etc, but when I think of becoming someone like, say, Nicholas Sparks, it's pretty repulsive. Writing something amazing is good enough for me, even if it's recognized by few. It's as much as many good authors get, anyway.

Sparkly Gekko

Fungus, man. Neither option is worth it to me. I mean, I'd really love a middle ground... maybe I'll be a fungus shaped like an appendage that can still write. Then I'd be famous for being a fungus who could write. So screw that, Devil! emotion_awesome

I hope to have a day job that I actually enjoy on top of my writing, so... the whole "writing becomes your whole life" one isn't so appealing. And I hate being ignored, so the second one would suck too. One would lead to endless boredom and the other endless frustration. Considering I've already got the frustration going on, might as well just keep doing what I've been doing.

Plus, fungi are awesome.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I would choose the fungi lifestyle. Fish-bowl-styled celebrity life isn't really appealing to me, and I feel like if that level of obscure "fame" was achieved, English teachers would have their students dissect "symbolism" in whatever book I happened to write. I'm just not okay with that. Maybe the curtains are blue because they compliment the white furnishings, and we need to remember that even fictional characters can have an interest in interior design because no one likes living in a house where things are completely jarring with mismatched pigments, unless they're just color-blind.

This is totally the kind of fungus I would be. emotion_kirakira

Magnetic Lunatic

Both of those stink, and not for their supposed negatives either.

I find talking to critics and scholars of the arts to be unbearably annoying. I find most of them make up bullshit that isn't there. Plus the egos.

And I also don't want movies, or even translations, or the rabid sort of stalker-fan. I don't think my writing translates that well, considering how dependent on slang the dialogue is. I suppose someone would manage a decent translation if everyone loved it so much.

Since every time I've talked to art critics has made me want to smash a lamp, I'm gonna go for the shallow popularity option. Though after I'm rich I'm going to hire five hundred lawyers and go to Demon Court to get the shallow part overturned.

Celestial Spirit

I'd probably go for brilliant obscurity, but either way it would lose all meaning, wouldn't it?
Starry Starry Fright
This literary devil really doesn't like to be refused, and if you turn down his gift, he'll turn you into an aggressive species of fungus. So which do you choose - shallow popularity, or brilliant obscurity?

Hmm... fungus you say? Well, I do enjoy Juffo-Wup as much as the next guy, but, on the other hand, I think I'd rather remain Non.

Obscure early nineties references aside, I'd go for Shallow Popularity. What I write isn't really all that interpretative in the first place. I do try to make it deep and interesting, but my purpose is, first and foremost to entertain people. Haha, the money wouldn't hurt either.

Distinct Humorist

7,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Timid 100
Brilliant obscurity. I don't see writing as being my future career anyway. I just want to write things I can be proud of.

Salty Pirate

46,975 Points
  • Grunnyland Dabbler 50
  • Grunnyland Collector 150
  • Grunnyland Expert 250
Brilliant obscurity. As long as I know what I wrote is good, and I can live off the money I made off of it (which it seems like I'd be able to if I'm winning the Nobel Prize and people are assigned to read me in class constantly), that'd be awesome. I'm terrible at dealing with crowds anyway, I wouldn't really want to meet my fans rofl

Blessed Genius

10,475 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Timid 100
Option two.

Honestly, I want to publish something, but more than that I want to publish something GOOD. Not something on the same level as Twilight, something that's an eye sore to all the adults and people who know good literary works when they see them. Besides... I never planned on relying on publishing as my only source of income twisted

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Hm, that's a toughie.

I do like money and I'd love to be in a position where I don't have to worry about it. Money to do whatever I want, go where I want...

But on the other hand, I try to write stuff that's good, and being almost universally considered a bad author by anyone with taste would really suck.

Still... I don't think I'd get much joy out of being super famous long after death. Not much point if you aren't alive to enjoy it.

I'll have to think about it more...

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Sir Icehawk
I think I'd prefer to make a living doing what I love over the alternative. Plus I don't have an ego large enough to ever imagine my work will stand the test of decades much less centuries, even if there was some sort of wish that could make it happen.

Writers like Meyers are a blessing to the industry. They sell a ton of books and get people reading. This profit lets publishers invest in other writers who may take decades, if ever, return a profit. Not that bad of a pair of shoes to fill nor is it that shallow at all.

That's a good point. Random House, the company that published "Fifty Shades of Gray", gave a one thousand dollar Christmas bonus to all of the employees who have been around for at least a year, to celebrate the massive success of the book.

If I decided to write for a living, I think the best thing that could possibly happen would be to see my work influence the genre or the industry in a positive way. Like you said, massively popular books can help create a boom in publishing.

Shirtless Wench

Option One.

If it's the literary devil, I'm sure he knows of pen names. Why have one when I can have both?

But srs. Option one.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces