Welcome to Gaia! ::

<center>GAIA EMOTICON RAPE COMPASSION CLINIC </center>
<center>User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.</center>

<center>A proud member of The Plus Link Directory</center>

Are you or someone you know the victim of Emoticon rape? Have you witnessed a post where there where more emoticons than words? Do you want to help stop this epidemic that is sweeping over Gaia?

Welcome to the Gaia Emoticon Rape Compassion Clinic. We at the ERCC aim to help in recovering those who have witnessed unholy misusages of emoticons and to give counseling to those who are committing this crime. We also seek to educate the masses on Gaia on how to post safety for the benefit of your self and others.
1 What is Emoticon Rape?:

Emoticon Rape is where someone misuses the privilege of the given Emoticons on Gaia in their posts. The following are examples of Emoticon rape, and may not be suitable for the weak of heart:

"I duno!1!! xp domokun scream xd 3nodding redface crying "

"WHA?!?!!! ANIME IS THE BESTS YOU SUCSK!!!! scream scream scream gonk stressed scream blaugh scream domokun "

"Gold ninja ninja ninja ninja 4laugh twisted "

"Hehe 3nodding redface 3nodding heart whee xd blaugh 4laugh "

"i went to the stor the oter day and my mom was like dont by the wipcrem scream but i did it anywayz! blaugh blaugh blaugh blaugh "

Saddly, Emoticon Rape usually is seen along side exclamation point and question mark rape, which we also hope to stop.
2 Why do we need to stop Emoticon Rape?:

Well, there are several reasons.
1.) It isn't visually pleasant.
2.) If you use a visually unpleasant amount of emoticons in your post, no one will take you seriously because you look like an idiot or an n00b.
3.) If you look like an idiot or an n00b, no one will like you or want to talk to you.
4.) While Gaia is not made as a place to conform to others so they will like you; it is a place for discussion and role play, and no one wants to talk to someone who takes advantage of the Emoticons.
5.) I will stress the fact that an ungodly amount of emoticons in a post makes you look like an idiot. A big idiot.

Please know that if you have been directed to the ERCC on account of Emoticon (or question mark/exclamation point) rape, it is only because the person who directed you here wants to see you cured and a healthy poster.

TO THOSE WHO WANT TO CLAIM MY THREAD IS UN-NEEDED/STUPID:

If you have read you'll remember that I stated that gaia is not a place to conform because this site is about individuality and personalization. And gold. Basically it's the American dream in fun-fun pixels. HOWEVER: gaia is a online community and what is another term for a community? Yes!: society! Gaia, if you will, is a online society. Like any society Gaia has edict and social do's and do nots.

How would you like it if you where engaging in a conversation with a friend/acquaintance/stranger and some random person came up to you shouting for money ("CAND I HAVE SOMESZ GOLDS Z PLEASEES!!!" wink ? Or maybe they swore uncontrollably, or lets say they are a close talker and stand 1 inch from your nose the whole time. In our society that is unheard of because it is rude and uncalled for.

For Gaia, " mad lol domokun blaugh redface " is not a way to 'be you'. Unless you spaz out and make a different face for every syllable in a sentence, Emoticons are not a way to personalize your statements. The way to 'be you' on Gaia is your avatar, font size, style and color (and now even your profile)- and let us not forget what it is you say is the most important personalization, since this is a open forum.

If I didn't want to conform to society or if I wanted to 'express myself' maybe I'd get a gun, go to your house and shoot your dog and your mom and claim "I'm not conforming to your standards of morality plus I like to shoot dogs and your mom." See: 'cause that's what you're doing. To my soul.

Bringing it back around: What is gaia again? An online community, and thus an online society. Gaia, like all societies, has edict. Using emoticons correctly and thus not being a dickwad is one of those fun social rules, that you can care not to conform to if you really will- but remember!: You're just asking for a verbal beating and a dead dog.
3 How do I use a Emoticon correctly?:

Using an Emoticon correctly is really a very easy thing. Restrain yourself to using an Emoticon only twice, maybe three times in a post. If the post is long; 3 is fine. If the post is short; 3 is pushing it. Use good judgment. Ask your self, "Does this statement really need an emoticon to express my feelings?"

Emoticons are wonderful things. Adding an emoticon can change the mood/feeling of your post to express your real meaning behind a statement which, with out the emoticon, would not be exspressable over the internet otherwise. How?:

That's not the point, is it? whee
That's not the point, is it? wink
That's not the point, is it? rolleyes
That's not the point, is it? mad

As amazing, wonderful and useful as this form of 'internet expression' is, it should not be abused. In a post like this:

That's not the point, is it? 3nodding redface smile scream domokun heart eek stressed

who the heck can understand how they meant to say that? It only leads one to believe the person does not know what they are talking about, because they can not seem to express their emoticons/emotions correctly and that they are far more interested in posting pretty faces then actual words in which to provoke/engage discussion .

So;

Please try to place an emoticon after a statement with an implied feeling. Example:

"My dog died today. sad "

When writing a longer post, placing emoticons at only pivotal feelings/places to get your point across would be best.

[Paragraph]
"Because we all want that to happen. rolleyes "
[paragraph]
[paragraph]
"But you know, that's just my opinion. 3nodding "

It also works best if you place your Emoticon after the period in your sentence, so the face does not 'chop' the sentence in half.

Emoticon usage like this: " whee heart ", where the entire post is only one or two Emoticons is acceptable, because it acts as words. This technique works well when responding to statement/opinion/movement threads/comments. Where would it not be acceptable? In a 'read and response' thread. If the topic is about politics or even just two characters from a TV show " scream domokun " doesn't add much to the discussion.

Using your Emoticons responsively and wisely will show others you understand the purpose of the Emoticon and how to use it- and thus are a 'learned' poster. However; using the correct grammar, trying your best to spell right, avoiding 'chat speak' when trying to be taken seriously, avoid misusage of 'bumping', and knowing your information and posting with facts in longer debates will also show that you are a 'learned' poster and you will have your posts be respected and read (we at the ERCC would also like to stress that you should not abuse the exclamation mark, question mark, or the word 'bump' either).
4 What do you do if you see Emoticon Rape?

If you see someone misusing the Emoticons in a violent manner, calmly tell them to stop and redirect them to us if you feel it to be a sever case. Please try to refrain from flaming them or insulting their intelligence/period of time on Gaia; it will usually only instigate more Emoticon rape- and we don't want that.
5 Banner/Links/Other

Banners:
Quote the post to get the Banner Codes

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
By: Frosted Pirate
---
User Image
By: Samurai-Katagi
---
User Image
By: MahouTragicQueen
---
By [Faiths Revenge]
---
By guitarjunki
---

If anyone wants to make banners or anything to support the ERCC, it would be much aprechiated and loved. heart

Links:

The Argument Hospital <- Learn how to not sound like a idiot when arguing your point.

User Image <- This place is friggin' awesome.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. <- the EERCC was featured here as a "Featured Thread", its a very spiffy place.

The ERCC Chatterbox Office is located here.

Other-other Links:
A thing my friends wanted me to plug. I think it's a total scam and a waste of time; but I said I'd do it, please forgive me. gonk
Free ipod
[Makata]
*claps*

Did you not see the topic to be titled "Not Open, Please do not Post"? I titled that so as no one would post in the middle of my attempts to get the firsts posts up quickly and in order. Thanks for reading. You have only shown that my hope for trying to help the posters of Gaia is futile.

Unbeatable Lunatic

Red Scully
[Makata]
*claps*

Did you not see the topic to be titled "Not Open, Please do not Post"? I titled that so as no one would post in the middle of my attempts to get the firsts posts up quickly and in order. Thanks for reading. You have only shown that my hope for trying to help the posters of Gaia is futile.

go ask a mod to remove his post.
k first thing
wtf is all this about
This is very good! 'Bout dagnabbed time somebody tried to put a stop to this! Maybe you should have a branch in the chatterbox... xp

Unbeatable Lunatic

hogarth3
k first thing
wtf is all this about

why don't you try reading before you post...saves you from looking like a dumb ********.
Jaw Breaker
hogarth3
k first thing
wtf is all this about

why don't you try reading before you post...saves you from looking like a dumb ********]
Ohhh, but he already does. Ouch.
Wow, hardcore. I understand perfectly. 3nodding I'd like to see less emoticon abuse on Gaia, its crazy.
Jaw Breaker
hogarth3
k first thing
wtf is all this about

why don't you try reading before you post...saves you from looking like a dumb ******** 1 whats your ******** problem man. 2. what the hell is this doing in a gaia community disscusion. It should be in chatterbox. or ect.
Brood Mayran
This is very good! 'Bout dagnabbed time somebody tried to put a stop to this! Maybe you should have a branch in the chatterbox... xp

Eh. Maybe. The Chatter Box is just that; the Chatter Box. Who cares what they do, as long as they don't drag it into the other forums.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff