Welcome to Gaia! ::

I know it's long but it's worth it.....I hope.

Please leave a comment more than just It was good/bad 1 100.0% [ 64 ]
Total Votes:[ 64 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Questionable Genius

Prologue

The walls of the room seemed to be closing in around Jessie as she listened to the midwife.

“One more push...we’re almost there...“

The silly woman had been repeating that for the last two or three hours, and Jessie was tired of trying to push.

“I can see the head now. One more push. Come on now. That’s it, push hard, it’s almost done.”

Jessie only hoped that this time the woman was right, she felt totally drained. She pushed again as hard as she was able.

“Awww there we are. Such a beautiful little boy Jessie. Okay, one last little push for me and we can finish up so that you can rest.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Even though the office was well lit it seemed very dark to Jessie. The lawyer behind the desk seemed like a kind person, but what he wanted her to do was terrible.

“Now Jessie, I want you to consider this very carefully. Once you sign these papers there’s no turning back.”

“Just sign it Jessie and let’s get home before your father does.”

Mother. How she hated this woman. Not only had she not come to see her once in the last eight months, but she didn’t even want to see her grandson. To make matters worse she was the one who arranged to have this lawyer here to make her give the baby up.

“Mrs. James, this is a very serious consideration for your daughter.”

“No, it’s not. She’s not keeping the baby, so I don’t see what all of this nonsense is about.”

“Mom,...”

“No Jessie, just sign the papers now so we can get home.”

“Mrs. James,...”

Jessie looked at the lawyer gratefully. Maybe he really did want to help her. Then her mother interrupted again.

“Look, Mister Bowlby, you’ve been talking our ears off since we got here. A body would think you didn’t want her to get rid of this baby. She can’t keep it without bringing shame on her father and me.”

Jessie‘s temper exploded. “Mom, my baby is a boy not an it! His name is Kenneth.”

“That doesn’t matter now, you can’t keep it, and no one is willing to help you even if you tried to keep it.”

Jessie hung her head. Her mother was right. She didn’t know the first thing about how to take care of a baby. If only Ken would have written her back. Mom must be right. Ken didn’t want her or the baby.

“Now Mrs. James.” The Lawyer began. “I’m beginning to think that it’s you, not Jessie, that wants this adoption to happen.”

“You just keep your fancy lawyer nose out of our business! You’re being paid good money to do a job, not to put your nose into where it doesn’t belong.”

The lawyer sat back looking at Jessie. She realized that she didn’t even know his name.

“Now you just pick up that pen and sign the papers Jessie.”

“Yes mom.”

Questionable Genius

Chapter One

Questionable Genius

“Ms. James, you have a call on line two from a Mr. Nicholsen and Mr. Durfey wants to speak with you before his 1:30 meeting with the board.”

“Thanks Julie. Any idea what Mr. Durfey wants?”

“Ideas, yes. Nothing that he said though.“

“Careful Julie, remember who he is.”

“Sorry.”

Jessie racked her brain quickly trying to remember who Mr. Nicholsen might be. The name was familiar, but she couldn’t put her finger on it.

“Julie, what does Mr. Nicholsen want?”

“He said it was a personal matter. Would you like me to find out more or take a message?”

“No Julie, I’d better find out myself.”

“He’s on line two. He sounds like a hunk though.”

“Julie!” Jessie said in mock horror. “What would Kurt say?”

Jessie could hear Julie laughing through the office door as she picked up line two distractedly, “Hello, J. James speaking. May I help you?”

“Jessie? This is Ken Nicholsen.”

Jessie’s mind stopped suddenly.

“Jessie? Are you there?”

Slowly her mind started functioning again. “Ken! What a wonderful surprise. How are you?”

How was she supposed to deal with this? She hasn’t heard or seen Ken in ten years.

“I’m fine Jessie. Look, I hate to be the one to break this to you, but your mother’s very sick and the doctors are saying she doesn’t have a lot of time left.”

Nothing registered with Jessie as she sat in stunned silence.

“Jessie? Are you still there?”

“Did she tell you to call me?”

“No. I just thought that since she’s your mother you should be told. She doesn’t have any other family since your dad died and you left.”

“I’m sorry Ken. I really didn’t mean to sound like that, it’s, it was just such a shock I guess.”

“It’s all right Jessie. I guess I should have figured out a way to soften it for you. I just didn’t think about it.”

If only you knew Ken. There were too many bad memories tied to that woman. “It’s okay. I’ll come just as soon as I can. Don’t tell her you called or that I’m coming, okay?

“Yea, I guess so. Are you sure you’re okay Jessie?”

“I’m fine Ken. Tell you what, why don’t you give me your number and I’ll call you when I get to town.“

“Oh, I guess that would be good. You got a pen?“

“Ken, I’m in an office, of course I have a pen.“

Jessie jotted down his number. “Got it. That sounds like a cell number, is it?“

“Yea, I don’t know when I’ll be home so I figured it would be easier to give that one than to have you try getting me and only getting an answering machine.“

“Thanks. I have to go, but I’ll see you soon all right.”

“Okay Jessie. Bye”

“Bye Ken.”

Hanging up the phone, Jessie’s mind was in turmoil. It had been ten years since she left home. In fact it was the day of her dad’s funeral that she made the final decision to leave. The cutting words her mother had thrown at her still felt like festering wounds. “It was the shame of knowing what a whore his only child was that killed him. He never forgot how you shamed him.” Hurt and anger still burned in her over those words. How dare the woman say that to her. She had done everything the woman had told her to do. She had even given up her baby for that woman.

Marshalling her feelings Jessie pressed the com button on her desk. “Julie, can we clear my calendar for the next,...for a while? A...a problem has come up that I need to deal with.”

“I think we can reschedule all of your appointments, Ms. James. How far out do you need me to go?”

“I, I’m not sure. Why don’t we clear it through Monday and we‘ll see how we stand from there.”

“Should I clear the rest of today too?”

Jessie thought for a moment, “No, we’ll finish out the rest of today.”

“Okay. Oh, Mr. Durfey called again, he’s still waiting for you.”

“Any new ideas about what he wants to talk about?”

“Well, um...”

Jessie smiled ironically to herself. “I know Julie. I’ve seen it in his eyes too.”

“Just be careful in his office ma'am. He gives me the creeps every time he looks at me.”

Jessie could almost feel Julie shuddering. “I know Julie. Me too. Thanks”

Jessie sat back for a moment to think. She always wondered how Michael Durfey got as high as he did in the company. His office was amazing. Even his secretary was the picture of professionalism. Mr. Durfey’s personality was something else though. She felt dirty and desperately in need of a shower every time she went into his office with him. The man was a womanizer to the bone. He had probably tried sleeping with every woman in the company. That thought brought a slight smile to her lips. She and Julie were probably the only two working here who were totally turned off by him. Julie because she was totally devoted to Kurt and Jessie because...well, just because.

Jessie slowly stood up. She’d better get moving. Mr. Durfey was her boss, no matter what she might think of him personally, she had better keep that fact firmly in front of her eyes. The man could fire her if she didn’t respond to a summons to his office. Then again if he tried anything he might just as well fire her the moment she stepped in his office because if not she would get herself fired without regrets.

Questionable Genius

“Mr. Durfey? Ms. James is here to see you.”

“Send her in.”

Michael Durfey straightened his tie and quickly moved everything off the left half of his massive desk. He worked hard to get where he was now. Being a vice president of one of the biggest multi-million dollar corporations had brought him the lifestyle and recognition he craved. When he saw Jessie he wanted her too. Well, he’d get her. After all, he had everything else, so why not. Yes, she’d be a sweet diversion. Just thinking about her made him hot. Yes, one way or another he’d have her too. As Jessie walked warily into his office He looked her over. She looked good in that suit. He’d like to see the skirt shorter though. She had great legs and he wanted to see more of them.

“Jessie. You look ravishing dear. Won’t you come in and make yourself comfortable.”

“Thank you Mr. Durfey.” She said trying to ignore the “dear”.

“Jessie, Jessie, Jessie. How many times must I ask you to call me Michael. That’s much more comfortable don’t you think.”

“I’m sorry Mr. Durfey, but that wouldn’t be proper with you being my boss.”

“Oh come now, Jessie. You don’t have to be proper with me. Relax, let your hair down. We can be friendly here.”

Jessie shrugged and sat down. “My secretary said you wanted to talk to me, Mr. Durfey?”

Scowling, Michael sat on the edge of his desk. This wasn‘t going the way he wanted. “Now Jessie, you know this isn’t the way to get ahead. I could make it much easier for you.”

“I’m sure I don’t know what you mean Mr. Durfey. Has my work been lacking somehow?”

“You know it’s not that Jessie.”

“Then perhaps it’s something else that I’ve overlooked in trying to do my job correctly?”

Michael smiled a slow lazy smile. “Tell you what sweetheart. Why don’t you have dinner with me then we’ll go somewhere private and I’ll show you how to...properly, get ahead in this company?” His smile was back full force now. He was sure that she couldn’t resist. After all, hadn’t every other woman come when he turned on the charm?

“Well, Mr. Durfey, how about if I check my calendar and get back to you?” Jessie said vaguely.

“Of course Jessie.” He said sweetly. “Say about eight tomorrow night.”

“I’m not sure if I can...”

“Yes,” Michael interrupted, “Eight tomorrow will work just fine. I’ll pick you up at your house.”

“But sir, you don’t have my address.”

“Jessie dear, I’m your boss I can just get it from personnel.”

“Oh. Well um, I, um...”

“Off you go now Jessie. I have work to do. See you tomorrow night. Oh by the way, why don’t you wear something, um, short.”

“Short sir?”

“You know, a mini skirt or something like that. Don’t bother with a bra though. They just get in the way.”

“Sir?!!”

“Off you get Jessie.”

Michael waved her out of the office. His mind already moving on the board meeting in a few minutes.

Questionable Genius

As she walked down the hall returning to her office Jessie was torn between being sick at the thought of her boss’ lust and the horror of the pictures he evoked in her mind with what he had told her to wear. Then it hit her. He really could get her address from personnel. It was on file just like everyone else's. How was she going to get out of this? There had to be a way to keep away from him and still keep her job. She hurried her step back to the office. She’d talk to Julie. Surely between the two of them they’d be able to think of something. Julie had been her best friend for almost five years now. Between the two of them they had risen this far in the toughest company in the country. No one had believed that they could do it and remain friends, but they had. They would find a way out of this.

Julie looked up startled as Jessie burst into the office. “Jessie? I mean, Ms. James, is everything all right?”

Jessie looked around the office and quickly recovered her composure “Julie, would you join me in my office for a moment.”

“Of course Ms. James.”

Shutting the door behind her and taking a seat Julie waited while Jessie gathered her thoughts and sat down.

“Julie, I need your help, but you can’t let anyone else know.”

“Anything for you Jessie, you know that. I owe you so much.”

Jessie cut her off with a wave. “No Julie, you don’t owe me anything. Besides what I have to ask you goes way over and beyond friendship.”

“What is it Jessie?”

Jessie told her what had transpired in Mr. Durfey’s office.

“That sick pervert!!!” Julie exclaimed disgustedly.

“Julie, get a hold of yourself. He’s our boss.”

“But Jessie, he’s a sick, demented, a**...”

“JULIE!!”

“Well it’s true. You know it is Jessie.”

“That doesn’t matter. What matters is the fact that he either already knows where I live or can find out from personnel soon.”

Julie looked totally shocked. “Oh no! Jessie you can’t allow that!”

“I can’t stop him. It’s part of the company records. He has access to them any time he wants.”

“But there must be something you can do. Can‘t you call them and tell them not to give it to him?”

“And what would I tell them for a reason?”

Julie was silent.

“Wait a minuet. If the records were wrong there’d be nothing they could do.”

Julie looked perplexed. “But Jessie, how could it be wrong, we just did a company update on it last week?”

“If I didn’t live there then it would be wrong.“

“What do you mean if you didn’t live there? Where else would you live?“

“I need to move. Now, tonight!“

“What??!!“

“Do you still have an extra room in that little place we found you over by the lake Julie?“

“Of course, but I don’t see...You mean? Oh Jessie, I’d love to have you live with me!“

“No Julie. Just a place to keep my stuff until I find a new place for me.“

But Jessie, I have more than enough room for you to move in.“

Thanks Julie, but no. If you agree we’ll move my stuff in to your spare room tonight.“

“But Jessie, what about you?“

“No Julie, just my stuff, not me.“

Julie looked like she was going to cry. “But where are you going to stay?

“I‘m not sure yet, but I‘ll worry about that when I get back.”

“Back? Jessie, where are you going?

“Remember that phone call earlier?”

“You mean the one from the guy that sounds like a hunk?”

Jessie smiled and nodded.

“But Jessie, where are you going?”

“He was an old friend Julie. He was calling about my mother.”

“Your mom? You‘ve never said anything about her. I thought she was dead, like your dad.”

“No. She’s very much alive. I just don’t like to talk about her. There’s some very hard feelings between us.”

“Oh. Well, is there anything I can do?”

“No. This is something I have to do on my own.”

“Are you sure?“

“Yes, I think it has to be this way.”

“Well, do you need any help moving your stuff over to my house?”

“That would be great Julie, but do you think Kurt would mind giving up one of your evenings together?“

Julie laughed, “Hey, he can help. What else are all those muscles for?“

“Thanks Julie, you‘re the greatest.“

Questionable Genius

“Jones, get me personnel on the phone.”

“Yes, Mr. Durfey.”

Michael leaned back in his chair. Everything was turning out according to plan. A private little dinner with Jessie then back to his flat and a long full night of exploring her delectable curves. He was hard just thinking about all of the pleasures she could provide him. He had noticed enough of her body to give him ideas on what it would look like. He could almost feel her body now, soft and delicious.

“Mr. Durfey?”

Michael struggled for control. “Yes.” He growled.

“Personnel is on line 3.”

“Connect me.”

“Yes sir.”

Michael waited, impatiently.

“Personnel, Suzanne speaking.”

“This is Michael Durfey, I need an address for Ms. Jessie James in advertising.”

“Sir?”

“Is there a problem with that!“

“Uh, no sir, um just a moment please.”

How dare that little person question him. He could have her fired and out on the street before the hour was up.

“Sir?”

“Yes.”

“I have the address. Shall I read it to you or would you like me to have a runner bring it to your office?”

That was more like it. “Run it to me.”

“Yes sir. Was there anything else sir?”

“No.”

Hanging up the phone Michael smiled. Jessie was as good as his already. Then again, why wait till tomorrow, he could get an appetizer tonight and have the main dish tomorrow. Yes, it would be good to have her tonight. Besides he had no other plans for tonight and the other girls were a pale substitute for her anyway.

“Jones. Call Candy and tell her I won‘t be joining her tonight.”

“Sir?”

Oh s**t, he had forgot that Jones was her brother. “Just call her Jones, tell her I have a business meeting.”

“But sir, there’s nothing on the calendar?”

“Just do it Jones, or you’ll be looking for a new job in the morning!”

What was wrong with employees today? Everyone seemed to be questioning him and his authority. They‘re all getting above themselves. Well, he’d deal with it later. He had to clear this mess from the board meeting off his desk before he could leave tonight. He hated this part of his job.

Questionable Genius

Chapter Two

Questionable Genius

“That looks like the last box Jessie.”

“Thanks Julie. And thank Kurt for me too.”

“We were happy to do it. Are you going to come back to the house with us?”

“No. I’m just going to do a last walk through and head out for a bite to eat.”

Julie smiled, “You could come and have dinner with us.”

Shaking her head with a smile of her own Jessie said, “Thanks, but you and Kurt don’t need me in the way. Why don’t you put the poor man out of his misery and tell him you’ll marry him?”

Julie blushed, “I, well, um.”

“Oh go on Julie. Go have fun with Kurt and I’ll call you later.”

“Are you’re sure you’ll be all right?”

“I’m sure. Now scoot and give that handsome hunk a hug for me.”

Julie reached out and gave her a hug. “I love you Jessie. Call me as soon as you find out what's up back in your hometown okay?”

“I will Julie. I love you too.”

“I’ll take good care of your stuff.” Julie said as she walked backwards toward the truck with Kurt waiting at the wheel. “I’ll even make Kurt unload it before I feed him.”

“Get outta here girl, before that man dies from malnutrition.” Jessie laughed, waved and turned back to the now almost bare house.

Questionable Genius

Jessie finished going through the house and put her two suitcases in the trunk of her car. She didn’t notice the sleek black Jaguar that pulled up across the street as she shut the trunk and walked around to get in the front.

Questionable Genius

Michael watched Jessie as she got into her car. Feeling frustrated that she’s leaving the house he decided to follow her.

Where on earth is she going this time of night? If she’s headed to some other guys place I’ll, I’ll... Wait a minute, that’s the freeway. Where does she think she going? I don’t have time to follow her off on some wild goose chase.

Questionable Genius

Jessie’s mind was in a whirl as she got closer to the town she grew up in. Ten years was such a long time. Did she still know anyone there? Would anyone even remember her? For that matter, did she really want to be remembered by anyone there? Wait a minute, how on earth did Ken get her phone number? This thought almost made her stop the car. How did he know where to find her to tell her about her mother? Did she still have his number? She had to have kept it. She promised him she’d call when she got into town. Okay, so it wasn’t exactly a promise, but she did say she’d call. Ah, there it was. She slowly dialed the number as she drove.

“Hello?“

“Hello Ken? This is Jessie.“

“Jessie? Where are you?“

“I’m about half an hour from mom’s house.“

“Jessie, she’s not there anymore.“

“What do you mean she’s not there anymore? Where else would she be?”

“Jessie calm down, she hasn’t been back to her house since she slipped on the ice last February and broke her hip.“

“She broke her hip?!!“

“Don’t you keep in touch with her at all Jessie?“ The censure in Ken’s voice made her feel guilty.

“She and I don’t communicate much Ken. We haven’t for a long time.” Jessie took a deep breath. “So if she isn‘t at home then where is she? Surely she hasn‘t been in the hospital for the last six months.” Jessie couldn’t see her mother staying in someplace so expensive for any length of time.

“Of course not. She’s been staying at the care facility on the north end of town.“

“ The care facility. I...I...I didn’t realize that she was that bad.“

“She wasn’t that bad at first, but it helped her while she was bedridden with her hip. Unfortunately she caught a bad cold that turned into pneumonia.“

“Is that what the problem with her is now?“

“No Jessie. I...you should really talk to the doctor about it.“

The doctor, her mother couldn‘t be that bad could she? “I should be there soon. Um, Ken?“

“Yea?“

“I know it’s asking a lot, but would you meet me there to, kind of...well...to help me get through this first meeting with her?“

There was a pause on the other end and Jessie started wondering if she was asking too much.

“Sure Jessie, that’d be no problem.“

“Thanks Ken. You’re a lifesaver.“

“I’ll be waiting for you when you get there.“

“Thanks again Ken. I’ll see you soon.“

“Bye Jessie”

Questionable Genius

Michael’s mind was working overtime. An hour and half of following Jessie just to see her walk into a care center in a two-bit run-down town. Why on earth is she here when we could be at my apartment? Wait a minute who’s that hillbilly hick wrapping his arms around her? I didn’t come all the way down here just to watch her in some other guy’s arms. Where are they going? Damn, I can’t see a thing from here.

Michael shut off the engine and checked his hair before getting out of the car. Stalking toward the doors of the care center his mind started to clear. Why confront them if he didn’t have to. Surely there was someone in here that knew one or both of them and knew how long this had been going on. Yes, that was it. He’d find out the details first, then he’d decide what to do.

Questionable Genius

Jessie still feeling a bit strange from the bear hug Ken had given her upon entering the building was scrambling for composure.

“How is she really Ken?“

“The doctors have basically said that it’s just a matter of time now.“

“A matter of time. What exactly does that mean?“

“Like I said before, you really need to talk to the doctor.“

Jessie stopped in the hall. “Ken, do you really think that I can get in touch with the doctor at this time of night.“

“Well, I guess you’re right. Okay Jessie, your mom seems to have given up on living. She’s actually been going down hill for several years, but after the fall it seems like she just quit trying. The doctors aren’t saying so professionally, but the cold she caught shouldn’t have turned into pneumonia.” Ken shrugged defeatedly. “Even that shouldn’t have been able to cause wide spread shut down the normal functioning of her body. She’s just given up living. Nothing anyone says or does gets her excited in any way.“

The two of them continued down the hall in silence. Ken stopped Jessie outside the door to her mother’s room.

Jessie looks at the floor, trying to get herself under control.

“Look, Jessie, you don’t have to do this. You don’t have to go in there right now.“

“No Ken. I came here to see her. I can’t just stop here. Not here, not now. I have to see this all the way through.“

“At least let me go in there with you.“

“Oh Ken.“ She said in relief, “Would you really do that for me?“

“Of course I would.” Ken smiled softly. “That’s why I offered. I don’t say things I don’t mean Jessie. Are you ready?“

“I, I think so.”

“Good girl.” Ken smiled down at her. “Let’s go in and see her then.”

Questionable Genius

Michael looked around the waiting room. The place was shabby. It needed renovating and a good interior decorator badly. He wasn’t even sure if the place would remain standing in a stiff breeze.

“Excuse me sir. May I help you find someone?”

Michael turned and looked at the young woman sitting behind the desk. Then he really looked her over. She wasn’t all that bad looking, maybe a few years too young, but that just meant that she’d be less experienced. She might be a lot of fun to teach. He wondered at her age. The last thing he needed was to get caught with an underage girl in a small town. He turned on his most charming smile.

“Hello beautiful. My name is Michael Durfey, what’s yours?”

“Oh, um, Emily. Emily Gray.”

“Well, well, well. Emily. I must say “Gray” is something you are definitely not. In fact “Gray” is the last word I’d use to describe you.”

The young woman blushed to the roots of her hair and Michael caught himself wondering if that delightful blush covered more than just her face and neck. It might be fun to find out for himself.

“Well Emily, since you’re here to help me,” Michael said suggestively, “How about helping me with a few other names.”

“Um, well, I have a list of all of the patients here. I’m sure I can help, Mr. Durfey.”

“Please Emily, call me Michael.”

She blushed again.

Michael smiled even more. “You are truly enchanting. Actually, it wasn’t a patient I was looking for. Would you happen to know the name of the two people who just came in here? They looked like a couple of people I know, but the names just won‘t come to me.”

“You mean Ken and Jessie?”

“Ken?”

“Yes sir, I mean, Michael. Ken Nicholsen and Jessie James. At least I believe it was her. It’s been several years since I saw her last, but Ken called her Jessie when she came in and they were headed toward Mrs. James room.”

“Mrs. James?”

“Jessie’s mother. She’s been here a while, but this is the first time that I’ve seen Jessie come to visit. Although I could be wrong. I don’t spend all my time here.”

The way the young woman was leaning forward was very pleasant. Michael could see the softly rounding tops of her breasts as they peaked out of the top of her blouse. The thought of making her a side diversion while he was here flitted back and forth through his mind. He could make it an extended trip here. At least an extra night or two if he had his way, and he usually did. Although, It might be better if he let her think it would be longer.

“Well, Emily, isn’t that a fascinating thought. You must love your work. What do you do here?“

Emily smiled. “Oh, I’m mostly just the receptionist for now. Although if things get busy back there,“ she waved her hand in the direction of the patients rooms, “then the doctors call up here to get more help and I kind of stand in as a nurse for whatever needs to be done.“

Ken smiled again, “It must be exciting work for you.“

“Well, sometimes it can be.“

“Is Mrs. James much trouble?“

“Oh no. Mrs. James is one of the sweetest ladies here. It’s a real shame that she’s dying.“

“Dying? Is that why she’s here?“

“Oh no. She came in here after she broke her hip back in February. The poor dear.” Emily looked down sadly. “She was almost ready to go home when she caught a nasty cold that somehow turned into pneumonia and now she’s just slipping away from us.“

“The poor dear.“ Michael said.

“Yes, I guess that’s why Jessie’s here. Although I would have thought that she’d visit her mother more often.“

“What about, uh, Ken, wasn’t it, Emily.”

“Oh yes. Ken is a regular visitor to Mrs. James” Emily said brightly.

Michael frowned, this Ken might be a problem. “So Ken and Jessie are close then?“

“Oh no! Well, I mean, they were before she left, but...well, it’s been ten years since she left.“

“That’s a long time, but of course she came back for holidays, birthdays...“

Emily frowned. “No sir, um, Michael. She didn’t, at least not that anyone around here knows about.“

Michael thought about that for a moment. Emily started squirming under his gaze. He noticed and sent a dazzling smile her way. “You really are lovely Emily. What time did you say that you got off work tonight?“

Blushing again Emily smiled. “Well, normally I don’t get off for another 2 hours, but if it’s a special occasion the doctor in charge might let me off early.“

“That would be nice. How often does Ken come in here?“

“Ken? Oh, Ken, he comes in almost every night after he gets off work, and on Saturday he spends most of the day.“

“Then it’s very possible that he and Jessie just met outside and came in together.“

“Oh, no. He knew she was coming here today.“

Michael was startled. “How would he know that she was coming?“

“He called her earlier today to let her know about her mother’s condition.“

Michael‘s eyebrows rose. “He called her. So they talk on the phone often?“

Emily shook her head. “Oh no. He had to go through our records to find her phone number. Even then it took some work because I guess our records were out of date.“

“Oh. Say, Emily, do you think your boss would call going out with a man who finds you fascinating a ‘special’ occasion?“

“Oh Michael.“ Emily smiled and melted.

Questionable Genius

Chapter Three

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out