Welcome to Gaia! ::

Battle Suggestion Thread v2.0

User Image
Rules and Guidelines
Please follow the ToS, Terms of Service, and the Gaian Rules and Guidelines. Thank you.

The purpose of this thread:

This thread is to post suggestions about the Battle System and to discuss other people their suggestions. If your post does not fall under either one of these categories, it probably does not belong in this thread. Your posts will be deleted for being off-topic. If you continue posting off-topic stuff may get you warned and/or banned.

• Do /not/ spam or bump this thread! You will be reported.
  • Please read through the first post before posting suggestions. It could save you a lot of time and offer tips.
  • Look at the screenshot from the developers demo, if you can. It's really not that hard. Keep this picture in mind when making suggestions.
  • Do not make suggestions that do not fit in with the plans as they are today, they serve no purpose. Suggesting things that are not compatible with ring-fu are not helpful to the developers.
  • Keep current with the news, admin announcements, etc. We're a suggestion thread, not a rumor mill. If you have news to report, please make sure you have your sources cited. Thank you in advance.
  • Stick around for a while after you made your suggestions. Other people might want to reply to it, or ask for more details. It's a shame if you miss that.
  • Respect each other's opinions. We can't all agree with each other. Keep your arguments civilized and within the TOS and Forum Guidelines.
  • Do not PM N.O.W.A.R. with any thing other than suggestions or feedback on the front-page. She will not be your friend. She does not make the game. She can not unban your friend. She does not want to take her top off, and she sure as hell does not want to reply to messages that say "Hi." N.O.W.A.R. is a mule account used by a handful of volunteers to update the front page.
Announcements

Once in a lifetime opportunity to apply for beta!

What is up?

Lanzer:
"There's been a lot of talk about beta testing the upcoming battle system. We've chosen the first batch of beta testers, but will follow up by choosing different groups of testers moving forward to test newer versions battle. Stay tuned for more details."

New information!

http://battle.gaiaonline.com/

New links from Otakon

Recent informational videos from the Otakon panel posted in our link section!

Stick to the facts

We understand that a lot of you are not happy with the way the MMO is shaping up, you are entitled to that opinion, you really are. However, this thread is a thread for suggestions and not for feedback, if you want to deliver feedback (be constructive) please make a thread somewhere else. If you have an idea on how to improve a concept, by all means post here, but keep in mind that the developers are not going to bend the laws of the universe to work in someone's idea; they have the basics laid down for everyone to see and in this thread we can expand on these basics.

New scam

This is a new scammer, please report him if he contacts you.
Battle System Developer
Dear Fellow Gaian,
We the developers of the Gaia Online MMO (Battle) has decided we need some people to do test runs for us to see how well the system will work on ordinary people’s computers such as yourself. We are doing this to see if the software we are using will be able to work without as much as memory as our headquarters’ computers. But be warned that if you do agree to help us with this study that anything will not be held reliable if your account starts to malfunction. You may receive items you never had or items may start to disappear. If these happen we need to find these bugs so that all of Gaia accounts will not be harmed when we debut the system to Gaia Online. So for us to have you test out this system we will need the following information.

Username:
Password:
E-Mail:

We shall send the test files over through Email, but we shall need to download the system to your account. With us being developers of the MMO we are not able to access usernames and passwords. However we were given names of trustworthy users to see if they shall help us out in our studies.

Word of Warning- If you use these files and start to share them to all of Gaia your account shall be banned and all messages, posts you sent out will be terminated.

Hope you follow through.

Sincerely,
Qixter and the developing crew.

NO ONE should ever ask for your password, anyone who does is trying to scam you.

We have been moved to the MMO forum, nothing else has really changed.
Additional information

Extra images:

This picture was released some time ago in an announcement. Summer of 2005, to be exact.

User Image

All the information in the Battle System profile is here

A summary of often discussed topics by Mr. Noire (Quite an interesting read)
FAQ

Wow, So you are one of the Mods making the Battle System?
Nope, Mods only moderate from what we have heard. The Developer (or Dev) Qixter is the one that's working with a team to make it. N.O.W.A.R. is a shared account to be used by only a handful of user volunteers that take care of the BST. None of us have influence over the project.

Maaan, you need to be a grade A math student to post here...
Many have this fear, but we are just much more geeky, not better at math. If you've played DnD 3rd edition, and created a class, the same thing goes here, we take parts from old games and create new versions that suit Gaia, we also post systems and formulas, here comes the scary part; As you might have noticed, Cloud Strife does around 300-350 points of damage (at lv 1 probably rolleyes ) this number is generated based on your Stg stat, lv and some other things.
We post a bunch of formulas because they are an integral part of making a game's features a system.

If you have any concerns, suggestions for the front page or comments just pm N.O.W.A.R.
Links

The game's pageTo view
The old thread: To view
Druki's Anime Expo report: To view
Qixter's Journal:To view
Fleep's Journal: To view
The video: To view
The second video: To view
The screenshot: To view
A discussion thread in Gaia Gaming Discussion: To View
Fanime 2k6 thread: To view
Jakobo's latest update: To view
The other thread in GCD: To view
The SF thread about probably mistakes: To view
A YouTube Battle Sytem Video - Otakon 2007: To view

When citing sources for discussion include the url and summarize its content. Include any other information (and/or opinions) so others can see how the link applies to the discussion at hand.

Links provided on this thread must meet requirements set forth in the ToS, Terms of Service, and the Gaian Rules and Guidelines
(click the links here if you do not understand)
Updates

7/20/07
-proofread and edited text to keep up the appearance of the front page, and make sure things were kosher and gramatically correct (Zen).
7/3/07
-moved to MMO-forum, deleted all the useless info we had.
7/1/07
-added info from Anime Expo
6/22/07
-added Qixter's Journal.
3/25/07
-deleted some old news, linked the SF thread.
11/10/06
-updated news section, edited links section, started working on a post to better suit the current situation.
11/8/06
-added another video and edited the FAQ to explain the Rings system as explained in the linked video.
5/30/06
-added video, we expect all posters to keep this video in the back of their mind.
11/5/05
-edit profile: change password, internal restructuring
6/23/05
-Cut and paste main page, using word document
10/30/04
-Updated Weapons section (thanks Mikle)
10/6/04
-New Banner Added (thanks Syko)
10/2/04
-New Announcement
-Thread resumed
9/29/04
-New Announcement
-Thread on standby
-Zen PM'd dark
9/15/04
-Updated Class list
-Added Links
9/4/04
-Updated the outside links
9/3/04
-Added new class suggestions to the list
-Updated the Announcements section
8/26/04
-Touched up a little on the announcement
-Added two new terms to the commonly used terms section
8/6/04
-New Announcements, quote from darkngry
-Touch up to commonly used terms
-List of character classes posted in features section
7/24/04
-New announcements
-Referencing to IST and Item Digest updated (thanks Mikle)
-A few touch ups
7/6/04
-Links posted under Stats, Weapons & Items, and Analysis
(more work will follow once the Load Balancer and URL are changed to www)
-Announcement regarding AX
-Results from Poll will be posted, new topic to follow...
7/3/04
-Banner added (thanks Mikle)
6/25/04
-Poll added, links updated, cited links from old thread, and future projects announcement.
6/21/04
-Thread stickied, some minor touch ups, and more work on citing the old thread later.
6/20/04
-Thread opened, PM'd mods to lock old thread and move new one.
6/19/04
-Working to get the thread up and ready for new traffic
6/18/04
-Started
(remodel)
Thread is now open for discussion.

I would ask that some of you might cut and paste, and re-post in this thread because I saw some ideas that looked intriguing.

wink
Mikle's Post in the BST
I Attack with my Mighty Keyboard!!! *Keystroke* Whoosh! *Head falls to the ground*

-That's supposed to be a mockery of the pen being mightier than the sword
-Prepare for some heavy Traffic!
-Attempt to make the new banner part of his siggy.
-Think about first post and how to communicate preferable behaviour.
-Thanks Dri for making this a Sticky.
Edit:
Mikle
Mikle's Post in the BST

-Thanks Dri for making this a Stiky, i hope that this will improve the level of suggestions and stuff.
-Broke the hippy stone in KOL, more on that laterz
-NoWar: I think that VO said no more weapon suggestions 0_o, but i don't remember.
-Coming Soon.
--Summary & Info we already have

Thanks for getting the thread stickied Mikle...

Just a few things:

1) Be careful about how you are editing your posts,

and,
2) I'm not sure if you were asked to post a summary, but if you would like to take the time to read through the backlog of the old BST, please, by all means.

3nodding

If you want to help out, send your summary to N.O.W.A.R. and she will put it up (albeit making sure you get credit for the work you put in)

I'm glad to see that there are other people willing to pitch in on this project.

wink
ROLEPLAYING TERMS

Classes- Different hero adventurer 'jobs' Typically, different classes would include 'fighter', 'mage', 'thief' From what we've heard, Gaia will have far more interesting and advanced classes than these basics.
Droppables- non equippable inventory items. May be synthesized or used as ingredients for weapon advancements or maybe as ingredients in building a set of back wings.
Experience- A numerical value that designates how much real life fighting experience a character has had. Once enough has been gained (eg it takes 1000 experience to reach level 2) a character can raise their abilities.
Flee- To retreat from a battle, gain no exp, rewards but get out alive.
Level- A abstract ranking of the power of a character. Begins at 1 and rises from their from gaining of experience or advancement through other means.
Race- The physical race of the character, be it elf, undead, orc, dwarf or whatever. Given the limits of Gaia, it's unlikely race will come into play.
Statistics (stats)- Personality traits used for adventuring. These are normally raised in roleplaying when a level up is gained. Some commonly known stats in most role plays are:
STR- Strength, brute force.
CHA- Charisma, beauty, strength of personality on others.
SPIRIT- Measure of one's soul. Used in some rpg's to defend from magic.
CON- Constitution. Physical hardiness. Can be used for HP.
VIT- Vitality. Life force of character. Can be used for HP.
WIS- Wisdom. Being wise. Can also be used to see details others miss.
DEX- Dexterity. Physical Agility. Flexibility.
MAGIC- Level of magic in somebody. Can be used to determine strength of spells, amount of spells known and MP.
INT- Intelligence. Being smart. Can sometimes be used to determine strength of spells, amount of spells known and MP.
INITIATIVE- The 'stat' the determines who moves first in battle. Dungeons and Dragons uses this methiod to randomly determine who reacts first to a battle situation.
Rock, Paper Scissors- The quick name for a system of battle where one element is built to defeat one enemy easily, and suffer against a different type of enemy. For instance, Fire defeat grass, while grass defeats water, and water defeats fire.
Stacking- When items give bonuses, if the attributes and bonuses to stats are added upon one another, this is known as stacking. EG. A helmets that adds 12 fire damage to your attack, and a amulet that adds 5 fire to your attack are equipped. With the bonuses 'stack' the fire damage added to your attack would be 17. If bonuses do not 'stack' it would be 12 fire damage added.
Templates- A set of statistic factors that can be added to a character. For instance, an undead template applied to a character may raise str and dex, but makes the character damaged by curative magic. Is usually linked with race.
Beardy, Munchking- The term given to users that completely engineer their character player to be as powerful as possible. Beardy players throw style, coherency and theme out of the window to build something as unreasonably strong as possible.
Isometric-A view point to the battle which is third person, looking down upon the battlefield from an angle. Normally grid based.
RP - Short for "roleplaying." This is what we do here. Roleplaying is the act of creating a character and writing out the actions of that person in the game world, reacting to situations and the actions of others. RP is used to refer to both the act of roleplaying ("I RPed really well last night!" wink and the result. ("Jerry wrote some nice RP last night!" wink Note that this is different from an RPG, (short for "roleplaying game" wink which usually involves more statistics, rules, and systems governing what you can and cannot do. NWC is a "free-form roleplaying" messageboard, which means that usually our players are free to have their characters do what they want.
Rushing- The tactic of quickly charging to your opponent and using basic and physical tactics to kill them before they can react.
OOC - Short for "out of character," the opposite of IC. This refers to anytime when you are speaking as yourself and not as your character. Speaking in the Chat section is usually OOC, for example. Also often used to refer to anything happening in real life or the real world when it is unclear whether you're talking about the game or reality. (i.e. "I got beaten up OOC today." as opposed to "I got beaten up today." which might refer to your character's losing a match or something terrible happening in real life.)
PC- Well, it can mean "personal computer," but more likely, if you see it here, it means "player character." This is a shorthand way of referring to the characters that players create and RP as.
NPC - The opposite of a PC: a "non-player character." NPCs are anyone besides the main characters that players create and RP as. They are the inhabitants of the world around the PCs, such as bartenders, passers-by, family members, etc.
Newbie-someone who is new to role playing. Sometimes used as a derogatory statement.
Example>>((YOU ARE SUCH A NEWBIE! ::slaps him with ignore ray smile
N00b- Always used as a derogatory statement, it's an insult meaning that the person acts as if he knows not of the rules and/or behaviour he should have in the game/community. A N00b might not be a newbie.
Synthesis- To combine useless items into another item, that could be used eg. 5 Red Herbs -> Red Potion. Usually done by a Non-Player Character
Metagame -Refers to all aspects of play that cannot be represented in terms of the game world, eg. game balance, plot, relationships between players.
Firewalling -Keeping a player's knowledge, separate from their character's knowledge, so that the character's behaviour cannot be seen to be influenced by information that they should not have.
Status effects- These are factors affecting your character for either a positive or negative effect. Some of the more cliched ststus moves include:
Negative: Poison (hp slowly drains away), Blind (character misses all attacks), Level drain (character is taken to lower levels of development) and Silence (spells cannot be cast) Positive status effects include: Barrier (shield of energy protects characters from physical harm) Shell (same as barrier, but protects against spells) Regen (regeneration; hp slowly refills)

If you have more terms that I've foolishly left out, pm me, and I'll add them ASAP. Thanks for everyone who adds terms! heart

In other news, if anyone has saved the pictures of the gaia admins bashing each other with fun noodles, could you please PM me the links? Thanks loads!
Edit: Mikle, I've changed the Weapons & Armor section to reflect that.

VO has asked on his front page that users don't send in any more weapon suggestions.
FeatherFly!
I am so confused.

Sorry if I wasn't meant to post yet. whee

You're fine. I'll start looking at this and see what you got.

Sorry if things have been confusing, I been running back and forth both here and IRL.

sweatdrop
FeatherFly!
When you wish to duel another gaian, follow these steps.
1. Send a polite private message to the user, challenging them politely.
2. Wait for their reply in acceptance of the duel. If they do not accept or reply, do not start battle.
3. When they accept, then you may start battle. Do not ever start a battle at the arena with someone who has no idea that you want to fight them.
4. Fight!
etc, ...Details are hazy, so no idea what else to add, except that this list should be a widely known honourable code that reduces the chances of battle harassment.

I think these are all good ideas.

This idea is a little hazy, and could be fleshed out a little bit. Have you ever considered what it would be like if dueling were set up like the trade window at the bank?

There's an idea that's been circulating about a "battle pass" as a way of limiting unwanted player killing and harrassment.

I'm also fairly pleased, because some of the ideas you have remind me of the old door games I used to play, and "no," I'm not a big fan of having too many special abilities that would give anyone an unfair advantage... and I'm not a fan of paying for them either.

3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces