Welcome to Gaia! ::

5,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Gaian 50
User Image
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX α ℭomedy of ℜoyalsXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
A semi-accurate tale of 16th century romance, intrigue, and drama

The country of Alton is a land covered with green as far as the eye can see. Its vast countrysides, uncorrupted by the inhabitants of the country, give one a tranquil feel early in the morning as one is sitting in a windowseat overlooking a meadow and sipping on freshly brewed tea. Beneath the green grasses and twisting rivers, though, lay the hidden scars of past battles. Deep in the hills, in the capital city of Belivia, stands a sturdy castle. Made of the strongest stones, dug out of the earth and molded by crafty hands, this monument stands as a beacon of hope to the people of Alton.

Now, across the deepest valley lays another city- Coren. No less beautiful are its green hillsides, and no less bustling are its streets. Therefore, these cities are prime for rivalry. In fact, their rivalry has carried on for generations. The blood that runs in the wounds of their countryside is the blood of their own ancestors. The king of Coren, being a just and wise man, has finally decided to put an end to his people's suffering, and even the suffering of the citizens of Alton, and has made a proposition. His only daughter shall be married to the oldest son of the king of Alton to make peace. And the royal wedding is set to occur in one month's time.

Now, the Princess is a smart young woman. She knows this could very well be necessary, but she is not necessarily willing to marry Prince Charming over in Alton. And our dear Prince will soon have to face the reality that his bachelorhood is coming to an abrupt end. The Princess is even said to be accompanied by a Nanny, to care for the children of their union, among others. Today, the Princess and her company are set to arrive in Alton, and are greeted by the most quirky, self-motivated, catty cast of characters as can be found behind the walls of any castle.

Now if you would, please, take your seats, ladies and gentlemen. I proudly present to you- A Comedy of Royals.

5,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Gaian 50
User Image
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX The Law of the LandXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On literacy. This is a fairly advanced roleplay, which means that you will be expected to be able to post four meaty paragraphs minimum, with good grammar and good spelling. If you cannot handle that then you should probably not be here. No maximum post length, but be reasonable folks. Don’t ramble on and on about a flower or shell or rock we will never see again. Quality over quantity.

On Posting. I’m not going to set some ridiculous, you must post X amount of times a week, rule because life happens. However, do not bail on us without warning, your character may get left behind or killed off if this happens. If you don’t intend to stick around or can’t post regularly, please don’t join. Along the same line as posting, stay active in the Out of Character thread. This is where planning and plotting and lots of other fun things will take place.

On Joining. To join this roleplay, please submit a reservation with samples on the Out of Character thread. Once you have passed the background check you have 72 hours to complete a profile and post it on the Out of Character Thread. If you do not post the profile within the time frame and you do not tell us why you cannot get it in on time, we will reopen your character. Do not post on the In Character thread until you have been accepted into the roleplay. You will find the codes for reserves and profiles on the Out of Character thread.

On Characters
                                            . Use real people (celebrities, models, etc) for your characters; no anime, signatures, or avatars. Try to avoid anything too incredibly modern, but if you must use a modern person, go for it. This is a 16th century roleplay, and thus your characters must behave appropriately. Think Tudor era, only this universe is fictional. This means women do not speak out of turn, they have no rights, and they certainly are not allowed to be crass or vulgar. While in private your character behave as they wish, in public your character should behave as would be appropriate for the royal court. If they don’t, there could be trouble.

On Posting Formats. Please make your posting format pretty, but don’t clutter it up with 50 pictures. You may have one large picture and three icons maximum. You may use quotes and the like to make your post more personal, but don't blind us or distract too much from the actual writing. You will have two posting colors or your choice, one for speech and one for though, please make sure they are legible.

On Time Skips
                                            . These will take place from time to time in order to keep the roleplay moving. I will always ask if everyone is ready for a time skip, and we will agree upon it before I do it. We can also discuss what might of happened during the time skip. Each time skip will be marked with a brief summary of what has happened so far since the last skip, and what has taken place during that time.

5,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Gaian 50
User Image
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX The Cast of CharactersXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

takenreserved │ open

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXFrom the Country of CorenXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Princess Elaine Tamblin p l a y e d b y Dublin Dreamer
                                            Princess Elaine's Lady in Waiting and Childhood Friend p l a y e d b y
                                            Royal Guard from Coren p l a y e d b y
                                            Lady Sibylla Grey, Lady-in-Waiting and Future Governess p l a y e d b y Naturally P e a c h y

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXFrom the Country of AltonXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Prince Aiden Rochester, Crown Prince of Alton p l a y e d b y Chronic Disco
                                            Prince Aiden's Royal Guard p l a y e d b y
                                            Princess Fianna Rochester, the Prince's Twin p l a y e d b y LadyTymora
                                            Princess Ciera Rochester, younger princess p l a y e d b y Aemsy_Love
                                            Princess Jane Rochester, youngest sister of the Twins p l a y e d b y Petite Hibou
                                            A Duke p l a y e d b y
                                            Lord Chamberlain, adviser to the Prince p l a y e d b y
                                            Marquess Gregory Essex, Artist in Residence p l a y e d b y Dublin Dreamer
                                            Suitor of Oldest Princess of Alton (Prince Aiden's Twin Sister) p l a y e d b y
                                            Viceroy 1, suitor of Younger Princess of Alton p l a y e d b y
                                            Viceroy 2, suitor of Princess Jane Rochester and brother to Viceroy 1 p l a y e d b y
                                            Rose Westenra, student of Marquess Gregory Essex p l a y e d b y Chronic Disco

5,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Gaian 50
User Image
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX On the Road to AltonXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Tired of the bloodshed and death that comes from war, King James of Coren accepted a bargain with King Richard of Alton. The war would end if the King of Coren would consent to a marriage between the Crown Prince of Alton and Princess Elaine, only daughter of King James. Sacrifice a daughter to save an entire people. Princess Elaine has been informed of this arrangement, and, though she is extremely unhappy with it, she now travels with a small entourage to Alton. Only the knowledge that it is the only way to protect Coren, save brutal and bloody war, prevents Elaine from resisting the union. She has chosen to take her Lady-in-Waiting, who is a childhood friend, and a trusted Royal Guard with her; accompanying her is a Lady who will act a governess to any future children. The Lady’s Younger Brother is permitted to travel with them because he has no other family.

Three black carriages carry the Princess Elaine and her attendants, along with a few belongings across the valley to Alton, leaving behind their home in Stranford, the capital of Coren, for a new life in a new country. Princess Elaine leaves behind all she has ever known and the last bastion of her childhood to become the future queen of a people she does not know. Her life has changed forever. Soon they will arrive in Belivia, capital city of Alton. How they will be received is yet unknown.

5,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Gaian 50
User Image
                                                        Princess Elaine, the Spirited
                                                        Elaine Tamblin of Coren
                                                        w r i t t e n __ b y __ Dublin Dreamer

These wars have cost my family a great deal, and I am glad that they are finally coming to an end; Charles' death was particularly hard on my father, and I have no desire to lose another brother. Besides, this world has quite enough hardship and pain without adding to it with war. This treaty will save many lives, and I must say that it is a good thing. As for arranged marriages, well… It would not be very polite or appropriate for me to say precisely how I feel about arranged marriages or this marriage in particular, but I will say this. This arrangement did not come as complete shock to me. I have always known that my older brother Henry was to be king after my father, and I have always known that my lot was to be married off in order to form some sort of treaty or agreement. Henry's marriage to Katerina, who is quite lovely, was arranged with a treaty for open trade and unhindered travel. I am quite aware that daughters are frequently bargaining chips for their fathers; such is the way in our times. It is not that my father does not love me, but that he must do what is necessary to protect Coren. I will miss my home, with its beautiful hills and rivers, but I know that I have no choice in this matter. I promised my father that I would try very hard to be gracious and well-mannered, and I intend to keep that promise. I must try to emulate my mother, who is the picture of grace and elegance; she would never show distress at such happenings, and neither should I. It will be difficult, for I am known to speak my mind and to be very headstrong; these are two attributes that I am sure will not be looked kindly upon in the Royal Court of Alton. I know that it is my duty to marry this man, but a part of me cannot help but be a bit resentful. To be forced to marry a man I hardly know, who may never understand me, and whom I may never love, is so distasteful. Father promises that love will come after, when we have gotten to know each other, and he does love my mother dearly; I am not so certain that is a common result. I have been promised that I will not be ill-treated, and I suppose that is the most I can hope for in this arrangement.

5,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Gaian 50
User Image
                                                        Lady Sibylla, the Cunning
                                                        Lady Sibylla Ester Grey of Coren
                                                        w r i t t e n __ b y __ Naturally P e a c h y

Milady is not familiar with the hidden treacheries of court. She is too young to understand that this marriage between Coren and Alton is a delicate matter. I understand it is a selfish act to use marriage as an opportunity of peace, but it can subside bloodshed between our two kingdoms for a few years. Ever since my uncle has arranged for my position in the palace, I have served as Princess Elaine's Lady in Waiting. Since the Queen has observed my attentiveness to the Princess she has placed me in her favor. I am commanded to be the future Governess to Milady's children once they are born. Indeed, it is a great honor, even my 'dearest' uncle couldn't agree more. He encourages that I must seize this opportunity and use it to bring our family back into court. However, knowing my uncle for his greed he and the ambassador from Alton have conspired against the peace arrangement. From what I have gathered, each has their own scheme to bring both kingdoms back into war for reasons unknown to me. I admit I have grown attached to the Princess. She like a younger sister to me. I do not wish for harm to come upon her. I vow to do what I can and advise her to trend carefully in Alton. At least, the skills I has obtained from Coren's court may come in to good use in due time.

5,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Gaian 50
User Image
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Awaiting arrivals from CorenXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The castle is situated among the rolling hills, with the Queen’s gardens in bloom around it. The third floor is the royal bedchamber. The second floor contains the massive royal library, the bedchambers of the various guests and other members of court, and various rooms for use by artists, scholars, and the like. Located on the first floor are the servants quarters, the kitchen, and the dining hall; there you will also find the throne room as well as a few other rooms.

To end a brutal war and needless bloodshed, King Richard of Alton has made a bargain with King James of Coren; if King James will allow his daughter to marry the Crown Prince of Alton, he will call back his troops and no more of the blood of Alton and Coren will be spilled in battle. The Crown Prince has been informed of this arrangement, and the news has sent shockwaves through the three story castle in Belivia, Alton’s capital. The Crown Prince, who has been rather content with his bachelorhood, is now faced with the prospect of settling down. Out of respect for Coren traditions, his mother has order the release of his mistress from court. His Twin Sister, who has always been resentful of the fact that she would never be queen of Alton, has grown more sullen and frustrated now that the Crown Prince is to be wed. The Lord Chamberlain, the youngest adviser in many years, has heard that Princess Elaine, while beautiful, is stubborn and headstrong, and that worries him greatly; he’s advised the Crown Prince to watch his step around his future bride, and the Crown Prince is not terribly pleased by this knowledge. The Younger Princesses are both undecided in their opinions of the new arrivals, but hopeful that this marriage will mend relations between the countries. Rumor has it that Alton’s princesses are being courted as well or at least that there are hopeful men with their eyes on the lovely women.

The Princess Elaine and her party will be arriving any moment, and the royal court of Alton is waiting to receive them in the throne room.

5,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Gaian 50
User Image
                                                        Prince Aiden, the Resilient
                                                        Aiden Rochester of Alton
                                                        w r i t t e n __ b y __ Chronic Disco

A great and noble man I was, a single one at that. No one woman to answer to, but instead a thousand to call upon. The life of a free man was once mine, until the day someone was promised to me. Funny thing promises are. I could have sworn that in order to abide by one, that both parties must see fit. So much for that then eh… Seeing as how my family has a reputation to uphold biting my tongue and going along with whatever my future plans are is the only way to please my father and be one step closer to his crown. Not that it is my life long goal or anything… But when that time does come I shall rule with an iron fist, but be a noble and resilient king. As for now I‘m stuck marrying some woman I have yet to meet. Hopefully she is my type or at least not a beast to one‘s eyes. God forbid. At least if she is a beauty to uphold then I can at least take this whole arrangement in stride. Looks as though I shall soon find out.

5,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Gaian 50
User Image
                                                        Princess Fianna, The Elegant
                                                        Fianna Joan Rochester of Alton
                                                        w r i t t e n __ b y __ LadyTymora

While I would never openly contradict the edict of my dear father the King, I must admit I wholeheartedly disapprove of a marriage of my twin to this...woman from Coren, Princess Elaine. What need do we, people of Alton, have for our long standing enemies? I do not look upon this marriage of convenience as my younger sisters do, in their unending insipid positivity, but as a way of saying that we are weak, and could not crush the kingdom of Coren, as I am sure we could. But these are not womanly things to think or transcribe. Suffice it to say, I have no love for this princess who is to join the ranks of my sisters. I am frustrated, I must admit, and I wonder at my father's choice of crowning Aiden future monarch. I would be the better choice, as I spend more time educating myself in the ways of court and war and economy and he is more of a...freer spirit. Perhaps it is I who should be Crown Princess, no? But my ambitions are my own, and I say such in the utmost of confidence that they will not be betrayed. Despite the rather tumultuous path of my thoughts before hand, this does not mean I am a disagreeable person - far from it. I love my family, and my country and would sacrifice anything for them. Like my youngest sister Jane, I have my own quirks. I am an artist and a musician by nature, and I know it my fathers love that allows me to pursue my passions. Jane, my sweet sister. I do not understand what goes on in her mind sometimes. But I suppose she does not think as I do, as a woman of my guile and age. I am nineteen and should marry before I loose the chance to have children and contribute to the royal family. I have no particular overflowing love for my suitor, and he will be hard pressed to gain my true affection. I hope he is up to the challenge.

User Image
                                                        Princess Ciera, The Tactical
                                                        Ciera Addyson Rochester of Alton
                                                        w r i t t e n __ b y __ Aemsy_Love

I for one think that father made a very good decision in agreeing to this arranged marriage business. It is going to bring home our men who are needed for other things like tending their farms and families. Honestly I don't see how our home has done so well with all the men that have been killed over the years. The revenues pouring out into the war along with the rising cost of food since we have to buy from outside the kingdom, since we cannot grow enough, to meet keep up with the stomachs of the army. Not that I actually know any of this, after all why should I be worried about anything aside from that delicious new blue silk that my next dress is being made from? So maybe I spent most of my "reflective time" sitting under Prince Aidan's school room, but logistics and battle are so much more interesting then wandering around mother's garden taking in the 'essence of nature's beauty'. Indulgent though my father may be at times I know that my duty is to the kingdom and I don't mind fulfilling my duty in the least, besides someone has to show the aristocracy how to properly dress. Who knows what horrid ideas they would come up with if left without someone (me) to show them the way. The other thing about this particular marriage is that it has a certain poetic justice to it, because as much Prince Aidan is my brother and the crown prince to whom I owe my allegiance, I find it funny he is to be the one stuck with the family's enemy for a spouse. Better still that it is him rather then sending one of my sisters, annoying as Fianna and Jane may be, into danger in a foreign country. My own courting life is floundering a bit right now after a slip up and my last suitor found out there is something between my ears besides ribbons and different cuts of silk. Hopefully this new Suitor does not try to cart me around on his arm having conversations with actual meaning with other woman and expect it all to be over my head and beyond my comprehension. Just because I like taking an interest in my clothes and enjoy embroidery does not mean I am not capable of other things. Believe me when I say the pretty bow and arrows I carry around when we go for hunting rides are not just decor, even while riding side saddle.
[

User Image
                                                        Princess Jane, the Vivacious
                                                        Jane Elizabeth Rochester of Alton
                                                        w r i t t e n __ b y __ Petite Hibou

I am the youngest of my siblings. I find it hard to compare sometimes- do they take me serious at all? I know that my dear siblings know of my impulsive actions, but those of court are shown nothing but a veil of silence hidden behind a fan of lace. My siblings I love dearly but I do fear for the Prince. The poor fellow being pushed into it. For all I know I might be next! What crazy times we live in. My brother being one of the kingdoms most famous bachelors is now set to marry a Princess from our enemy kingdom. No, I do not hold the opposing kingdom to ill thoughts- but I must admit I am very convinced this will lead to very bad terms. But as a princess I must show that I agree nothing more than with my fathers idea and agreement. But once they are married- under gods watchful eye? What can they do? My dear sister, the princes twin: I fear she has to much spite in her body that she will soon do something she will regret. I suppose I cannot murmur of her doings. You see...I tend to push my boundaries as well. Um, I am very grateful that my father does love me so because if I was apart of any other family I fear I might have already been disowned. I do not do anything to dramatic, no. But I do push myself to make sure I do a little different. I cannot help it. I fear it comes from my father either ways. The whole kingdom knows I am a reader, even though it is not much of a 'Woman' thing to do. Now, they do not know I enjoy Shakespeare, but they know I read along side my father sometimes in the library- that is when he has a moment of time for himself. Which caused shock to some- until they met me. I am lucky beyond far that I am a princess for if I were a commoner my life would have ended a long while ago due to my well many offences as a Female. I cannot say I am drawn back- I will debate along side my brother, but I will reside from conflict like many men abrupt into. And do not be surprised if you appear at the castle during a hunt and I am riding like a man. How do you expect me to catch anything if I am trying to sit side saddled. That is a very big pain. I do not try to vex my mother so in my actions, but I cannot seem to fix what is broken of me. I often battle with myself to be a right and proper lady as I ‘should’ be. But I cannot bring myself to do it! And for the whole of my body to marry a man they’ve picked me to is not like I had hoped for my future. But with privilege you also pay a price. I suppose in the end my price will be that?

5,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Gaian 50
User Image
                                                        Rose, the Passionate
                                                        Rose Westenra of Alton
                                                        w r i t t e n __ b y __ Chronic Disco

I have no title that I wish to give away, for I tend to keep my nobility behind me. The reason being that I desire to achieve greatness without the rankings of my family name. I take passion in anything that I strive for, which happens to be in the artistic area. So in order to better myself, my father has sent me abroad to Alton all the way from France. For a while now I have been studying under Gregory, and please no pun intended. I know of his ways and no I do not judge him for it. Actually I find his eccentric personality to be quite entertaing to say the least. We get along rather well and become fond of each other, he makes me laugh and I am a great student. That is all and that is the only relationship that will occur of the two of us. Perhaps that would be a lot easier said than done since he takes my jestful flirting seriously. Oh well. Onto other matters like the marriage. If the whole idea of Aiden being straped down hadn't made me laugh before I'm absolutely getting a chuckle out of this now. no matter how lovely the princess of Coren may appear, the prince only has eyes for what he can't have. I guess seeing the events play out could be fun, if anything goes wrong I'm returning back to my family in France.

User Image
                                                        Marquess Gregory, The Roguish
                                                        Marquess Gregory Michael Essex of Alton
                                                        w r i t t e n __ b y __ Dublin Dreamer

Please do ignore the ridiculous title, it's only good for very little and in the long way of thinking means only that my father was of noble blood. I am the artist in residence at Alton's castle in Belivia, a position I was granted due to the situation of my birth, but for the most part such things are not to be discussed, especially in the presence of ladies. I was brought up along side the royal children and taught to read and write and all the necessities that would make me a man in the eyes of the world, but my true passion is painting. I am now not only the artist in residence, but I am also teaching a lovely, if occassionally naive and trouble, young woman named Rose As for this marriage and the treaty, I for one am glad to see that the war has finally ended. I've lost two brothers to the bloodshed. I must admit, having come of age in the castle alongside Prince Aiden, I do find it rather humorous to see him now to be bound to a single woman, no matter how lovely she is. I am rather fond of both Princess Jane and Princess Ciera who are like younger sisters to me, and Princess Fianna is a lovely creature to behold, if only she'd allow me to paint her. The arrival of the lovely ladies of Coren has offered me more subjects to paint, and I confess that both Lady Sibylla and Princess Elaine are quite beautiful.

5,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Gaian 50
User Image
                                                        DEAR JOURNAL/DIARY/NAME,
                                                        day (spelled out or not) month year (1526)

Taken from britt. r0cks`itt's forum. This is to be written in first-person by your character of whatever updates has happened in his or her life. It can be posted in the IC thread.
                                                        Heard some gossip? Write it down. Letters to family. Love letters? Post it wink Remember this format cannot used as your regular post. Don't forget to end it.

HERE'S SOME TITLES FOR YOUR CHARACTER:
                                                        here

5,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Gaian 50
User Image
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Credit Where Credit is DueXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I would like to thank several people who made this possible:

A special thanks goes out to the planning committee, without whom this thread would never have been born. Many of the characters and tiny subplots that will make this show a fun thing to play and to watch came from that thread.

A massive thank you to Roleplay W O N D E R for our beautiful intro post and for finding and editing some of the beautiful images we’ve got here.

Credit goes to britt. r0cks`itt for the inspiration and the use of the letter/journal template as well as the profile template.

5,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Gaian 50
RESERVED FOR THINGS I MAY HAVE FORGOTTEN

5,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Gaian 50
RESERVED FOR STUFF I MAY HAVE FORGOTTEN

5,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Gaian 50
User Image
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX α ℭomedy of ℜoyalsXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Current Affairs

It is Friday, April 7th, 1526. The time is half past nine in the morning.

The sun rose this morning to find history being made. Troops from both Alton and Coren had withdrawn from the battlefield; men from each camp prepared to return home. There was peace in the great valley that separated the nations for the first time in many years. On the road to Belivia, Alton three black carriages bearing the mark of King James of Coren passed safely. An order from King Richard himself had been issued that declared them to be under royal protection. The trip had been uneventful. In Belivia, Alton, the castle had been alive since before dawn as preparations were made for the arrival of the Crown Prince’s bride- to-be.

The Royal Court of Alton has convened in the throne room to await the arrival of the Princess and her attendants. They have yet to arrive, and the Crown Prince is becoming impatient. The air in the room is growing tenser by the moment as the Crown Prince sends out a page every few minutes to find out if she has arrived. Sometimes he sends another page out before the last one has returned. Each time a page returns from the front gates with a message from the Crown Prince’s Royal Guard announcing that she has not arrived the mood in the throne room becomes more unpleasant. The party is already fifteen minutes late, and everyone is on edge. The Crown Prince grows more irate as each moment passes, making the rest of the court more uncomfortable.

Livestock in the road and a few other mishaps have delayed the royal carriages from Coren, but their journey has almost come to a close. The ride has been uncomfortable and silent for the most part; nervousness and anticipation have kept the party from having a great deal to say. The only sound that has been heard is the wheels as they roll over stones. The three carriages reached the royal highway to Belivia two hours ago, and they are now just minutes from their final destination. The gates of the castle grounds swing wide open, and all eyes in the area turn to see the arrivals. Soon the carriages stop in front of the front gates and the Princess’ Royal Guard dismounts his horse and greets the Crown Prince’s Royal Guard; the two bow politely, and a page is sent to the throne room to announce that the party from Coren have arrived.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff