Benevolent Genius

18,325 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Grunny Harvester 150
User Image

Maryn Tala Valji

FillerSpaceFillerSpace THE BASICS[Indent]

Hey! Pleasure to make your acquaintance, my name is Maryn Tala Valji!
        Most people call me Tala.
        My mother gave birth to me on Autumn 14.
        I've been living for twenty-eight years since that day!
        I've grown to be about five feet and four inches.
        My long, brown hair runs in the family.
        My mother says I have brilliant blue eyes!
        You really can't tell that I am a lady yet!?
        The men are what send my heart into a frenzy.
        I can be found at the inn as the owner at any time!

FillerSpaceFillerSp MY LIFE STORY[Indent]

Biography / /
          Maryn was born to the main house of the Valji family. The first born, she was cherished by her parents as the successor to their inn. Once she was able to speak, she quickly proved that she had more qualities to remove than to keep. As a young child, she was ruled by the never-ending strictness of her parents. Where they wanted her to be calm and quiet she was loud and rambunctious. Where she wanted to be reserved and pensive, they wanted her to be outgoing and cheerful. Every instance of conflicting desires escalated into shouting match followed by the angry silence of a child that felt undeserving of their punishment. Her mother always designed the most brutal punishments. Either she was to sit like a lady for an hour or mind the front door and greet customers. Maryn gave little resistance during her punishments, fighting spirit lost to the understanding that if she cooperated it would be over faster.

As she aged, her attitude began to shift towards what her mother and father desired. Maryn's personality faded into the obscurity of indifference. Blank-faced and disinterested, she took on chores, neither failing nor excelling any longer. In regards to molding the ideal hostess, her mother had hit a dead end. Instead of swapping her daughter's behaviors, she'd only succeeded in equalizing them. Torn between passing the inn on to an adequate heir and pushing her daughter any further, she ceased her efforts of molding her child.

Maryn, seven, was relieved that her mother seemed to accept their silent understanding. To show her appreciation, she worked just a little harder, hoping the occasional blush of embarrassment or welcoming smile would raise her mother's spirits. Of course, her mother read too deeply into the improvement, quickly deciding on a new plan of attack. A boy, merely a year older than Maryn, was invited from the branch house to live at the inn. The young Maryn quickly took to tormenting the boy.

The second son of his house, Aries was horribly timid. Being the second of only two boys and many girls, he often spent time with his sisters, taking up hobbies such a knitting, sewing, cooking and cleaning. Maryn, for once forced to face her own interests by being forced into the boy's presence, found herself both bitter and unamused. She was quick to name him 'Frog Face', claiming he had a frog face and should ribbit instead of speaking. Maryn would beat him with sticks and rulers, play keep away and participate in any other activity to try and pull a reaction from Aries that wasn't sniveling or whimpering.

Her mother, who'd planned on an early love blossoming between the two and increasing Maryn's femininity, was displeased to see the more masculine shift. Forced to a last resort, she deemed that Aries would instead take over the inn, finding that the boy was much more fit for the task. The announcement was made when Maryn was thirteen and Aries was fourteen. For the first time since her child days, Maryn found herself actually pleased. She'd smiled before and even chuckled on occasion, but the relief of the title of heir being lifted from her was liberating.

Lightening up on Aries, she no longer caused him grief, keeping her torment held in her nickname for him and light taunting when he did not perform a task to perfection. Free to chase her own pursuits at last, she discovered an interest is traditional forms of entertainment such as dancing and playing the shamisen. The moment she turned sixteen she took up an apprenticeship to learn the skills, sparking pride in her parents for at last pursuing something with the energy she'd displayed as a child and diligence she'd learned from years of training.

Un-sheltered and unburdened, Maryn found herself meeting people in the outside world on level ground. Maryn encountered her first crush and made her first female friend. She learned how money worked outside the system at the inn through a particularly funny sequence of events. She'd been out in the general store and simply picked up a few things and began to walk away without paying. In the inn, things had always been delivered and totals tallied until the payment was due at the end of the month. While she didn't get arrested for the misunderstanding, it had turned into a rather large scene where her father was summoned from the inn as proof of her explanation. With many apologies and a payment, the merchant had allowed her to go with a mere warning.

Another positive, albeit awkward experience, occurred when she was twenty-one. Maryn had moved out on her own at eighteen, tired of her mother's overbearing attitude. Smitten with Aries and missing her daughter, her mother renewed her idea to have him marry into the main house via Maryn, a move that would bring her daughter home and make the inheritance of the inn official. Neither youth interested in the plan, they both firmly rejected the proprietress' efforts. After disgruntled forfeiture on her mother's part a year later, Maryn returned to living at the inn intending to bring some joy to her mother. While silent in nature, the reconciliation brought the mother and daughter duo a bit closer. Maryn began practicing some tolerance of her mother's personality and her mom shifted her pushiness to less dire matters such as dressing like a lady instead of marriage.

While the freedom led to many good experiences, it led to some bad ones as well. With her first crush came her first heartbreak and with her first friend came her first betrayal. Unaffected by the rejection of her crush years later, the falling out with her female friend, Leena, when she was twenty-two still impacts Maryn's outlook on life. Years of pent up energy and expression had made exaggerated faces rather fun for Maryn. Whether she was happy or sad it showed on her face clearly, leading to people believing she felt what she did to an extent further than she actually was. Tired of Leena's timidity about confessing to her own crush, Maryn took the situation into her own hands, telling the lucky man about her friend's feelings.

To Maryn's delight, the man's feeling were reciprocated and it was the exaggerated pleasure that her friend saw when she entered stage right. Misunderstanding the source of Maryn's joy, her friend fled, hurt and angry, having assumed that Maryn had stolen her crush behind her back. Of course, she chased after her friend, only causing the timid girl to flee with more intensity, resulting in her running in front of a wagon. The accident ended in Leena being paralyzed from the waist down. Wracked with guilt for her friend's injury, Maryn distanced herself from her, even when Leena attempted to apologize for misunderstanding.

In response to the tragedy, Maryn reverted, at least as far as her expressions were concerned, to the indifferent self of her childhood. No matter what her mood, her facial expression and tone remained unchanged. Rumors spread across town that she'd pushed Leena into the street. Unsettled by the shift in Maryn's attitude and the accusations floating about town, her mother insisted she stay out of the public eye. Maryn, broken from the incident, obliged, delving into work at the inn. Her solemnity proved incredibly useful against pushier guests and her calm demeanor and blank face brought out the beauty in her entertainment.

After a few weeks, Maryn's mother became wrapped by guilt for keeping her daughter cooped up. Just as much as she demanded Maryn stay in, she also demanded that she go out, convinced that the fresh air might do her some good. While confused by her mother's mixed messages, Maryn followed suit, meeting some interesting people during her days when she lazed about town. Before long, word came from Aries' family. They insisted that he return home as his older brother had fallen ill and they needed someone to help run the family company in the mean time. Suddenly alone with her mother in the inn, Maryn was forced to shoulder more responsibility.

Dedicating herself to cooking, cleaning and other physical labors when she wasn't entertaining, she found herself enjoying the power she held over her assigned tasks. Compared to just performing specifically what she'd been told as a child, she had a new dimension of control. Maryn was allowed to decide how things were done. The newfound interest proved wonderful a few years later when news came that her cousin would not be returning. He proved more adept at running the branch house's business than his older brother. At the age of twenty-five, Maryn's mother retired, leaving control of the inn to her only daughter.

While Maryn still held an expressionless face and empty voice, she ran the inn without any reservations, finally entering into her expected role in life. Even though she inherited the family business as originally planned, Maryn still argues with her mother over finding a proper spouse or producing her own heir. Instead of paying much attention to her mother's whims, she runs the inn her own way with an iron fist, caring for customers and dissuading advances through her blank expressions.

Themes / /
        Lie
        Sayonara

Crush / /
      I do not currently have a crush.

FillerSpaceFillerSpa PREFERENCES[Indent]

Loves / /
          → ✓ ✓ - Curry Rice
          → ✓ ✓ - Lilies
          → ✓ ✓ - Shamisen

Likes / /
          → ✓ - Corn
          → ✓ - Curry
          → ✓ - Fans
          → ✓ - Lightning
          → ✓ - Potatoes
          → ✓ - Pudding
          → ✓ - Tea
          → ✓ - Winter

Dislikes / /
          → ✗ - Burns
          → ✗ - Cuckoo Clocks
          → ✗ - Gems
          → ✗ - Horses
          → ✗ - Licorice
          → ✗ - Muffins
          → ✗ - Salads
          → ✗ - Vodka

Hates / /
          → ✗ ✗ - Apples
          → ✗ ✗ - Failed Dishes
          → ✗ ✗ - Roses

Fears / /
          → ☠ - Betraying A Friend
          → ☠ - Death
          → ☠ - Getting Married
          → ☠ - Spiders

Marriage Item / /
          → ღ - A blue feather.

FillerSpaceFilerSpace THE PLAYER[Indent]

Username:
          I, Merlin The Mage, have been in the same relationship for six years.

User Image User Image User Image

Kasan0da's Partner

Benevolent Genius

18,325 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Grunny Harvester 150
User Image
User Image

Location / / BLANK tab tab Company / / BLANK tab tab Mood / / BLANK tab tab Thoughts / / BLANK

ɪ ϵɴȷɵү ϻү ȿϻạʟʟ ғʀϵϵĐɵϻȿ.

I am free to rule over the inn however I please.

⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰

TEXT
                                                              "QUOTE"

⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

I am free to leave the inn when it suits me.

вυτ ɪ ωɪʟʟ ɴϵѵϵʀ τʀυʟү вϵ ғʀϵϵ.

OOC

User Image / / / / User Image / / / / User Image

Kasan0da's Partner

Benevolent Genius

18,325 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Grunny Harvester 150
┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━[Indent][Indent][Indent]

MY FAMILY [Indent][Indent]

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

FATHER / / Alive
    Name
      Edward Williams-Valji
    Comments
      Father was younger than mother. He always seemed so awkward. Clearly he had been a boy who had fallen for a inn hostess. I love my father, but I did not see much of him. He worked in the city during the week and balanced books for the inn on the weekends. Sometimes he would play with me though and assure me mother only wanted what was best for me.

MOTHER / / Alive
    Name
      Ayame Tala Valji
    Comments
      Mother was rather old when she had me. She had been so concerned that she was infertile and would have to hand the inn over my aunt's son. She was so happy when I was born...I am sure I have disappointed her by not marrying yet. It must have been hard on her to pass on the ownership of the inn with no hope of an heir in sight. I suspect she might still be hoping Frog Face and I still marry. Such an absurd notion. I have come to terms with my mother, but we do not get along in the slightest.

UNCLE / / Alive
    Name
      Clive Garrot
    Comments
      Uncle is as strict as my mother in regards to his business. Most of his children have some variety of marketable skill and would make fine spouses. In his old age he has become more docile. His new woman has softened him and he openly voices his regrets of his failed children in the annual letters he sends to the main house.

AUNT / / Deceased
    Name
      Hazuki Garrot
    Comments
      Auntie and my mother have always had a strong rivalry. Although they were sisters, only one was able to carry on the name of the main house and the other was forced to the branch house. Auntie married very well and often bragged about how successful her house was compared to mother's. It was a petty feud and I do not miss the pressure ridicule that came with their bickering.

COUSIN / / Alive
    Name
      Charles Garrot
    Comments
      Charles was the original heir to the branch house's mercantile business, but after a series of bad trades he was ousted. I have heard that he wanders the slums, drinking and gambling with his monthly allowance. It is unfortunate as he was once such a fine man.

COUSIN / / Alive
    Name
      Marina Evans
    Comments
      Marina is frog face's oldest sibling and a force to be reckoned with. She excels at everything she attempts and refuses to have anyone look down at her. She is often called a tyrant of the home and I image she often makes decisions in her relationship.

COUSIN / / Alive
    Name
      Shirley Ward
    Comments
      I am afraid I do not know much about Shirley. From what I have heard, she is not particularly memorable.

COUSIN / / Alive
    Name
      Hilda Garrot
    Comments
      Hilda is terribly clumsy. My uncle bought her a restaurant, fearful that she would be unable to find success anywhere else. If it was not for the constant shattering of glassware, she would make a splendid cup of tea.

COUSIN / / Alive
    Name
      Rosalind Valji
    Comments
      Rosalind was allowed to take the last name Valji as a favor to strengthen the identity of her flower arrangement studio. While Marina was the most skillful of frog face's sisters, Rosalind managed to best her at flower arrangement. Despite her skills, she is very polite and well-mannered. Mother often refers to her as an image to strive towards.

COUSIN / / Alive
    Name
      Aileen Bell
    Comments
      The last of frog face's huge group of older sisters, Aileen is highly skilled at embroidery. I believe she is a seamstress down south.

COUSIN / / Alive
    Name
      Aries Hemmingway Garrot Frog Face
    Comments
      Tch...frog face.

COUSIN / / Alive
    Name
      Henrietta Cooper
    Comments
      Henrietta was frog face's only younger sibling by the same mother. From what I have heard, she was babied and was allowed to ignore the same tedious lessons his others sisters received. Despite her lack of skills, she married well.

Kasan0da's Partner

Benevolent Genius

18,325 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Grunny Harvester 150
┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━[Indent][Indent][Indent]

HEART CHART [Indent][Indent]

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

[Indent][Indent]FRIENDSHIP[Indent][Indent]

[--]ღ / / HATE / / "I am very busy right now."
[--]ღ / / DISLIKE / / "We should talk later."