Welcome to Gaia! ::

User Image

Write a Chapter Contest
Now is your chance to fill in the middle part of the story of Little D's Adventures in Wonderland! Is Ultra-Satan the mysterious Cheshire Cat? Is Carl the queen of hearts, upset that the rabbot army painted his roses red so now they taste like paint? What is happening at Diedrich's Mad Tea Party? Will the Easter Bunny succeed in his plans to thwart the fools? What exactly occurs in the middle? You decide!

Rules
    🐇Your work must be original and not plagerise. You may make reference to themes and characters from the original Lewis Carrol books, but you may not write them word for word.
    🐇There is no word limit, but you aren't writing a book for us.
    🐇You will be allowed to post a set up summary before your chapter if you want to make reference to what got the characters into a situation, or another chapter entry that you wish to follow up with your chapter
    🐇Fill out the below form to enter
    🐇You may write up to three chapters, but you may only win once.
    🐇Winners will be selected via council vote between the D-Party and E-Corp Crews and volunteers.

Form:
[b]Username:[/b] (Your name)
[b]Chapter Title:[/b] (Your title)
[b]Set Up:[/b] (Any set up you feel we need to understand where this chapter is staring out, it's fair to refer to other chapters here)

[b]LETS GO:[/b]

(Begin your chapter here)

Toxic Treasure

22,490 Points
  • Excitable Emoter 25
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
  • Party Member 100
Username: Inuyasha_roxs_08
Chapter Title: Relativity has no place here
Set Up: I feel like this story would take place maybe two chapters into their adventure...or even towards the end? It can sort of fit in wherever!

LETS GO:

Little D and her new friend Clubs opened a door and into a large room. The room had many stairways and none were going the same direction. It defied logic and gravity. Some went up, some went down. Some went side to side....and many just made no sense at all. Little D recognized this as some sort of M.C. Escher 'style' room (Relativity) from a painting her big brother had showed her. In seeing that the room had no means of escape, she turned to go back the way they had came. But alas...the door was gone! Pouting, the little bunny decided that she best press forward and attempt to find her way out of this strange labyrinth.

Deciding splitting up was the best way to find a way out faster, they descended and ascended several flights of stairs. But in passing through an arch or through a closed door, they found themselves back in the same room. Sometimes they would be upright, and other times upside down. A few times they were on the walls or ceiling. Little D would find Clubs examining his options from time to time, but even he did not seem to understand the strange complexity of these stairs. Alas they seemed forever trapped in this place.

Little D started to lose hope as eventually her and Clubs found their way back to where they had started. How troublesome this was! How were they supposed to escape!? Clubs again looked at the entire room, but now for the first time looked down over the railing. “Look, down there.” Clubs pointed with his claw towards the middle of the room and down between the stair cases. Little D peeked between the railing and down to see that below there was a strange round door. If they could reach the door, maybe they could escape! But how would their reach it? None of the stairs reached that far. But oh...they could always jump!

Gasping excitedly, Little D climbed onto the railing with the help of Clubs. “On the count of three we jump to the door!” She pointed. Clubs tilted his head, maybe to question her choice. But softly nodded and stood with her, hand in claw. “One...two….THREE!” She jumped with clubs, falling towards the door. Before they hit it, the door opened and they were tossed through the air and landed in some nice soft bushes that broke their fall. The door was gone, but they had escaped the strange room and could now continue their quest!

Unidentified Hobo

45,150 Points
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Cute 200
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Poltergeist Pulverizer 100
Username: hobokids
Chapter Title: Little D and the Wish Club
Set Up: On the way to the Heart of the Park, Little D and Clubs run into some odd Easter collaborators, who are hoping to join their party and bring more cheer for a collective wish in the heart of the park.

LETS GO:

In the beautiful gardens and opposite the marching minions of Easter, Little D followed Clubs down a rather peculiar path lined with sweets. It led to a small round circle of crunchberry trees and a gathering of familiar but unfamiliar people and animals around a table.
"What is this place?" Little D asked the rabbot Clubs.
"It is the friendship circle. They gather here in times of war in order to discuss which wish to agree upon." Clubs replied in a mechanical voice.
"A wish to agree upon? Like a wish club, Clubs?" asked Little D.
"Sure...why not." said Clubs.
They hopped into the large circle of trees, and noticed two boys, one boy dressed in blue and one in yellow slacks and suspenders. Both looked rather handsome, but somewhat daft. Snickering to each other and eating crunch berries from the trees, they approached Little D and Clubs, pulling on each others suspenders and giggling.
"Hello, hello friends! Have you come to give your opinion on the war, the time at hand?" Said the boy in blue, with a large L on his shirt.
"Or have you come to discuss your wish, a wish that will surely save us all?" Said the boy in yellow, with a big I on his shirt.
"Uh,well...'' began Little D.
"I beg your pardon you have a funny accent," said boy in blue.
"Quite funny, you wouldn't be a fool of April would you?" Said the boy in yellow.
"No. I'm not a fool, I'm Little D and this is Clubs." She pointed to the rabbot.
"Ah how lovely, we salute your cause little friends! I'm Louie and this is Ian." They both saluted in sync. Little D slowly saluted back, distracted by the unusual crowd they were around. Others started to stare, wondering what was going on.
"You must join us in our discussion! We have sweets!" said Louie, waving to the large table.
"And treats to eat! Join us!" said Ian.
Unsure of what to do, Little D followed Clubs to the friendship table, where others sat eating sweets and treats, wildly chattering about the war. Louie and Ian joined them.
"So tell us Little D and Clubs, where are you heading?" Someone yelled from the gathering of Easter supporters. The crowd went silent with full attention of Little D and Clubs.
"We are heading to the Heart of the Park to make a special wish, and we are looking for fellow friends to help bring good energy," Clubs mechanically replied. The crowd cheered around the table, and continued their mindless chatter with one another.
"So what is the wish you have agreed on?!" Hollered another random supporter to Little D. Little D looked to Clubs for guidance, but he sat motionless. Little D sighed a bit and tugged on her ear.
"Well,it will be a wish to wish me back home, and put an end to this war," she quietly replied.
"Absurd! An end to the war? Why end the war? Then what would we discuss?" Louie hollered.
"Outrageous! A wish to wish you back? why would you ever want to leave Wonderland?" hollered Ian.
Others begin to boo at Little D and Clubs. "But don't you want to have a wish for the Heart?" she asked.
It fell silent around the table, and then they began to chatter again. 'But of course' and 'ah yes' filled the air. It was getting a little weird around here.
Little D whispered to Clubs to sneak out with her before it got out of hand. He nodded and joined her quietly heading out to the garden path while they were all distractedly eating and talking..
"Wait wait! Don't go without us!" cried Louie, accompanied by Ian. They ran after them and stopped to take a breath, stuffing more crunchberries into their mouths.
"We will help you bring more cheer for the wish!"
"We shall help you end the war!" Ian and Louie said excitedly, walking out arm and arm.
Little D was relieved they didn't boot her and Clubs out and nodded her head in thanks.
"Thank you both kindly!" She exclaimed, following Clubs down the path, with Louie and Ian behind her, followed by the entire wish club.
"Let's head to the Heart," said Clubs. And the group cheered in excitement as they headed off marching together.

They continued to march to the Heart while eating sweets. The path stopped abruptly at a vast and spooky labyrinth, causing the crowd to scatter unnerved, leaving Little D, Clubs, Louie and Ian to their next journey...

Username: BananasFoster
Chapter Title: The Tea Party
Set Up: Little D is wandering through Wonderland to find the tea party. She doesn't know why or even who is hosting it, but she knows she's late.

LETS GO:

She was late! She was late for a very important... What was the word? A meeting? Something like that. Little D was heading to a tea party, that was all she really knew. Ever since she had come to Wonderland she had little time to wonder about her surroundings. She passed large flowers that loomed over her like trees. Maybe they weren't so big though, Little D was a tiny bunny after all. Had she gotten lost in someone's garden again? No, she thought to herself, this was nothing like a garden.
She finally found herself a clearing where the giant tree flowers became little regular size flowers. Pinks, and blues, and yellows bloomed all around her. Dazzling butterflies swished their delicate wings as they fluttered by. There was also a very long table in the clearing. The chairs around the table were all different sizes and colors and as she approached, Little D noticed that all the cups and plates were different too.
This must be the tea party! She rejoiced. She must not have been very late as the other guests had not arrived. Little D wondered if, in fact, she was very, very early to this party. At the head of the table, in a red velvet chair (that looked more like a throne) sat a Grunny who looked very sad.
"Excuse me, sir." Little D said in her tiny voice.
The Grunny did not respond but instead gave a dejected sigh.
"Excuse me!" Little D squeaked.
The Grunny's ears perked up and he looked down at Little D. "A guest!" He cried out.
"Um, yes." Little D replied. "Am I early?"
"No, no. You're right on time!" he smiled, Little D could see one very sharp tooth. "I'm Diedrich."
"My name is Little D... Where is everyone else?" She asked as she tried to climb into one of the normal size chairs.
Diedrich helped her up and then sat again in his throne.
"Beheaded." He replied sadly.
"B-beheaded?!" Little D asked bewildered.
"Yes, the Queen of Hearts chopped off everyone's heads." Diedrich poured tea in the smallest cup he could find on the table.
"But why?" Little D took the cup in her tiny paws.
"Tea parties are illegal in Wonderland." Diedrich said nonchalantly.
"What?!" Little D squeaked in horror.
The sound of shuffling cards filled the air and Little D turned in her seat to find that they were surrounded by the queen's guard.
"Hope you can hop." Diedrich winked.
Little D's heart was racing. Just what had she gotten herself into?

Swashbuckling Bookworm

29,325 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Wry Dealer 500
  • Bookworm 100
KimCare:
The Batter Up and Others Are Still Way Out There
Set Up: Although having made some sense of the place of nonsense and how to speak to it's inhabitants D still discovers that she still has a long way to go.
LETS GO:
And so Little D had happened upon a rather unusual plant - at least seemed to be at first glimpse - with its leaves and branches.
And...shoes?
Most were white - but a couple were tinted pink - and a few others which had just started to darken.
Just as she wondered if any would be in her size, Little D was aware of another noise.
It was rather melodious, and catchy - not unlike a video game soundtrack.
The muscle-ed boy and dark brothers - each ran their shops.
She wondered if she had triggered some kind of audio security device.
These handsome lads stayed busy and had pulled out all the stops...
Coming closer she realized what else was up there.
Some fancy them in all the eclectic, electric glory.
At the base of this arrangement was a handsome, although very pale young man.
The rest wait for their next installment in Gambino-saga story.
He speaking to no one in particular; and was moving the first hand
closer to the next...
Then further away.
Little D also noticed that the base of the structure and the man both had wrapped a bit of color.
The odd structure had a rather large yardage of crimson fringed fabric.
And his own ebony hair was also tied in a similar fashioned, knot-ed ribbon.
These shades seemed to emulate the few shoes carrying the same ruby color...
Which Little D had likewise expected him to... sparkle?
She called up to him.
"Are you...talking ...to those shoes?"
The young man paused to take a breath.
"Of course... "
He smiled.
And made a gesture that seemed to mark his progress.
"These shoes must be read to for them to become red."
But without a book...?
Little D stepped even nearer.
An object which reminded Little D of an almost finished stick of cotton candy.
And the other hand was unwinding a long piece of string.
A spindle and a thread!
"And that works?"
He smiled again.
"Don't you think if one thought is good, surely a few threads could be better for the rest?"
Little D was fascinated.
"But why the scarves...?"
"Don't you see the shoe tree?"
Is that what it was?
"Yes but ...how is it possible...?"
"Shoes have tongues and four bases need to be kept warm - so I wrapped them in a large scarf - since it is springtime!
That's why baseball players are always running to them."
Little D laughed.
"Silly! The batters have to hit the baseball first."
The man gave a strange expression that was difficult to see if it was a bigger smile or tge beginning of a frown.
"Now who's being silly?"
A cake needs a batter and music can put a Spring in your step and threads can go on forever and so can't there be a shoe tree...?"
Little D said goodbye before a hot dog for six dollars seemed like a good idea.

Anxious Lunatic

36,525 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Magical Gems 500
Username: Emalthya
Chapter Title: The Chapter where Little D makes a splash and meets some Talking Shoes
Set Up: Basically starting where the first part finished, Clubs is taking Little D down to the April Fool's party. (I got inspired after no ideas so... there's... yeah. Sorry. (not sorry))

LETS GO:

Clubs the Rabbot took Little D down into the throng of fuzzy creatures and random things. There were also sudden sounds like bangs and fart noises in between fresh bouts of giggles, snorting, and cackling laughter. In the centre of the confusion of activity there was a long table set with tea and cake and teapots which were actually cakes and cakes which were actually guests covered in icing and all sorts of other strange things.

“Excuse me,” called Little D to anyone who would listen. A few creatures turned to her and one prunny gave her a teacup with nothing in it. She looked closer and realised the cup was made of spun sugar. She licked it. It was minty. She put it on a pile of phonographs. “April Fool’s creatures? I need some help!”

Nobody turned to her. One small bodied but long limbed elephant moved his trunk around Little D to pick her up, but Clubs raised his cannon arm subtly and the plasma blast began to glow brighter until the elephant walked away as though he was actually two people on stilts.

“They won’t listen to you,” said a sad, slow voice. It belonged to a red panda whose face, like the faces of all red pandas, looked a little sad. He didn’t seem sad because of his markings, but because every part of him drooped. His ears drooped, his bushy tail drooped, and his whiskers drooped.

“Why not?” asked Little D.

“Because they don’t listen to anything if it’s not a song.” The red panda flicked away some icing from his fur with his paw. “There’s a stage up there and the only time when everyone is paying attention is when somebody is up there singing. Even if they sing very badly, everyone pays attention to laugh at them. If they sing really well, at least they all stop laughing to hear it.”

“No-one’zz up zinging now,” said Clubs.

“The last person was very good and the April Foolers wouldn’t let him stop until he fell off the stage.” He sighed sadly.

“You don’t seem like an April Fooler,” said Little D.

“I got caught up with the crowd and I never got free of them. Every time I try to leave, somebody dances with me until I’m so dizzy I can’t find my way out, or they carry me around and don’t let me go, of something else. It’s not so bad, but I am getting tired of the gag gifts.”

“I got carried along here myself,” said Little D. “I’m trying to get home. My name’s Little D and this is Clubs.”

Clubs let out a surprised mechanical noise like the grunt of a gear box crunching, then a pleased, higher noise like the sound an old computer makes when it stops booting up and starts humming. “Clubz.”

“My name’s Akane,” said the red panda. “Maybe you can take me with you when you go?”

Little D shook her head so her pink ears wiggled. “I have to use the wish of the Heart of the Park to get home and I don’t think that’s on the way to your house.”

“The Heart of the Park? You’d have to convince all the April Foolers not to use it for themselves to make it April Fool’s day every day. Can you sing?”

Little D thought. Of course she could sing. But maybe the question was, could she sing well enough? She didn’t want these hysterical creatures laughing at her instead of listening to her, and she didn’t want to sing until she fell off the stage. “I don’t think I could convince everyone…” she said slowly. “Can you sing, Clubs?”

“No,” said Clubs. “Only techno music and zzampling.”

“That’s still really cool!”

Somehow Clubs looked very happy, even if his face was metal and didn’t quite show emotions properly.

“I saw a guest with a pair of singing shoes earlier,” said Akane the red panda. “Maybe you could ask him for them?”

“These creatures might go for anything,” said Little D, “but I wouldn’t want to give some stranger my shoes.”

Akane picked up a box and a lid which didn’t match it. “Give him this in trade.”

Little D took it from him. “It’s empty, though?”

“It’s a gag gift,” explained Akane. “I last saw him over here.”

Little D and Clubs followed Akane through the braying, eating, dancing, and dashing crowd. Clubs was a little concerned that someone might get angry at him for being a rabbot, seeing as the whole mechacity was on the warpath against them, but nobody cared. Some young rabbit with a cupcake ran into him and smeared cream and icing all over his shiny front panel, but all the rabbit did was laugh, draw a smiley face in the mess, and run away. Little D was not thinking fondly about putting on some person’s shoes and dancing her way home. It sounded like another story of her brother’s, but that story had a pair of shoes covered in oysters which spat pearls at the enemies of whomever wore them. Singing shoes or oyster shoes, shoes which had been worn by someone else were stinky and sweaty.

“That one,” said Akane, pointing his paw at a strange creature with the head and neck of a giraffe, the wings of a bat, the feet of a stag, and the body of a leopard. Through some really intrepid tailoring, the creature was wearing a well-made and dandyish suit. On his back feet were a pair of sturdy brown shoes, like the shoes a schoolkid would wear. Little D could tell they were far too big for her.

“Just go up to him and suggest a swap,” encouraged Akane.

“But…”

Clubs put his claw down to where Little D could reach it and she took it in her paw. She felt better and the three of them approached the creature.

“I want to swap you your shoes for this present,” called Little D up to the bat-winged thing.

The thing looked down at her. “Me? My shoes? I tell you these shoes were once owned by a marvellous stage performer for so long they learned to sing and act themselves! And then they were given to Waxberry the Mortowog.” He spoke in a strange lofty tone.

“Who izz Waxberry?” asked Clubs.

“Why he’s me,” said the Mortowog.

“It’s a very April Fool’s present,” said Little D unwillingly.

Waxberry twisted his long neck down to look at her and the box she held. “If you insist,” he said, and he opened the box.

Out of the box swelled a torrent of liquid, as though a wave from the ocean had hidden in ambush and burst out suddenly. Waxberry was utterly drenched and knocked from his seat, right out of his shoes. At once, Little D could tell that whatever it had been, it was not water.

I’ve shruuuunk!” shrieked Waxberry shrilly, capering around on the ground, now the size of a puppy.

Little D gasped and clung harder to Clubs’ claw. “Sorry!” she squeaked. “It was empty before!”

But Waxberry was laughing. “What a fine joke!” he cried, still prancing around. All the creatures about them laughed as well.

Little D looked into the box. It wasn’t even wet.

“Here, Little D,” said Akane. “I got the shoes. They're no use to him now; he's even smaller than you are.” He set them down in front of her so she could step into them.

The shoes had been shrunk by the potion, too, but not nearly as much as Waxberry had shrunk, because they had flown off his feet. They were now a perfect fit for Little D’s feet.

Little D let Akane take the box from her and set it on a pile of junk nearby. “Did you know that would happen?” she asked hesitantly.

Akane looked at her quizzically, the first time he hadn’t just looked sad. “You didn’t?”

Little D put on the shoes and tied them. They didn’t sing. “How do you make the shoes work?” she asked.

“I don’t know,” Akane replied. “I just saw that Mortowog Waxberry dancing and the shoes sang along.”

“Let’zz go back to the ztage,” suggested Clubs.

Little D started walking back with him and a voice from below her said “Ouff I haven’t been this tight since I left the cobbler!”

“What?” asked Little D. She and Clubs and Akane stared at her feet and the now silent shoes.

Clubs shrugged and took a step. Little D had to take two steps to keep up.

“I can’t talk while you stand still, pinkie,” said the shoes.

“Oh!”

As they walked back to the stage, the shoes explained to Little D, Clubs, and Akane all about itself.

“I need to be able to flap my soles to say anything, and I can’t flap if you pin me down.” The shoes spoke in a squeaky voice, like the sound shoes make when you walk in them for the first week. “But if you do a dance, I’ll do a song.”

“I need to perform a song so these April Foolers will listen to me about needing the Heart of the Park’s wish to get home,” explained Little D.

“That would take a very good song,” squeaked the shoes. “Good thing for you, I’m a very good songwriter. What kind of music will you dance to?”

Clubs tilted his head and began to play a peppy, light-hearted song.

“That’s perfect,” said the shoes. Each shoe took a turn to speak as it was lifted off the ground and no matter how quickly Little D walked, the shoes still sounded odd.

They reached the stage. “Do you have a song made up?” Little D asked the shoes and then jumped in the air while they answered.

“Yes, just have that music-“ Little D jumped again “- from the beginning and try-” Little D did a twirly pirouette “-to dance and keep up.”

So they all went on stage. Clubs stood near the edge so his music would be heard better. Akane went to the front and yelled out “Here’s a new song for you! Listen up!” The he scurried to the side and began to clap his paws.

Little D glanced at Clubs, who played his music. Then Little D began to dance. It didn’t matter what the steps were, as long as she was always moving. She even had fun, jumping and spinning and tapping her feet and waving her arms. Over the sound of Club’s music, Akane’s clapping, and the sound of her own feet, she heard the shoes singing the song they had made up for her.

“Should our land be japey and jokey every day of the year~
There is someone here who would be disappointed, so I fear.

Her name is Little D and she is not some sour lemon face!
But she’s not from here and needs Park’s wish to go back to her place.

If a joke’s not funny to everyone, it isn’t worth a laugh~
Pranks all day without a smile won’t be so great by half!

There’s a cheer wish to make each and every year, don’t forget!
So send her home and next year we’ll have April Fool’s forever yet!”

Little D ended with a dynamic pose, breathing heavily with one foot raised.

“Not my best work,” admitted the shoes mildly. “But I only had about three minute’s notice.”

“It wazz v-hery good,” said Clubs. “I liked it.”

“I think they did, too,” said Akane, pointing with his bushy tail to the crowd. The crowd was not silent, but they were paying attention.

One bunny bounced up on stage, or was perhaps thrown up by the narrow-legged elephant. “We don’t need a wish to have fun all year! I’d hate it if I couldn’t be here having fun with you. The April Fool’s fun we make would be better than any wish can make!”

Maybe they listened to him because Clubs was still playing music, but the crowd seemed to agree.

“I think you won them over,” said Akane to Little D.

“I think so,” said the shoes, taking the credit.

Clubs addressed the crowd, still covered in cake topping with a melty smiley face drawn in it. “It’zz not enough,” he said. “You muzzt ztop the rabbotz from uzing-g the wish to make it always Eazter or Little D will be ztuck.”

There was a cheer from the April Foolers. Clubs turned to Little D and she could tell he was very happy. He may not have expected a teeny pink grunny as help, nor may he have thought she would make a big difference, but he was wrong and glad to be, because only Little D could have made an impact on these fun-crazed creatures.

He put his claw out to take her little paw. The ravening tide of rabbots was approaching. If anyone could win them over, it was Little D.

Hungry Fairy

71,725 Points
  • Bonfire Starter 500
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Grunnyland Collector 150
Username: GriffinFire
Chapter Title: The Tulgey Wood
Set Up: Little D and Clubs are seeking a way to the Heart of the Park before the Minions of Easter reach it.

LETS GO:

From somewhere far ahead of them, so far that it was out of sight despite the straightness of the road, Little D could hear the relentless marching of the Easter army. There seemed to be no way that she and Clubs would reach the Heart of the Park before the Minions of Easter did.

Something rustled beneath Little D's paw. She looked down to see a rather crumpled piece of paper, curled as if it had once been rolled up as a scroll, and written over with lines of neat, loopy writing. Intrigued, Little D picked it up and read the lines aloud to Clubs.

'Twas glowsome, and the bunnish bots
Did whirr and wickle in the wild:
All shooketh were the greenie tots,
Their tea bebumped and spiled.

The paper ended in a torn edge. "How curious," Little D remarked. "I suppose it's about the rabbot army and the fools' tea party, but it's very odd poetry."

Clubs was still for a moment, whirring, the light of his single eye blinking thoughtfully. "Very odd," he said, simply.

Several minutes further on, Little D spotted a second scrap of paper, spinning gently in a small circle along with a few fallen leaves. She darted forward to snatch it up, and read the lines she found there.

"Beware the Ystre Bun, my dear!
The beams that zap, the eggs that 'splode!
Beware the Chickie bird, and fear
The bloominous Mechanode!"

"Curiouser and curiouser," she said, noticing that this scrap matched perfectly to the bottom of the first, but was still not complete. She wondered how many verses there were, and whether they would find the rest. And whether they might meet the frightening creatures it described.

"Does this mean anything to you?" she inquired of her companion. "I hate to pry, but were you not a Minion of Easter before you met me?"

Clubs went still again, and this time he said nothing, but merely shook his head and began hopping along again. Little D frowned, but followed.

After a few more minutes, Clubs held out his small cannon arm, cautioning Little D to stay back.

By the side of the road were two figures, who seemed to be engaged in a struggle of some sort. One of them, Little D quickly realized, was lying on its back, flailing, and unable to right itself. The creature sported a turtle's shell, thus his difficulty, but the rest of him looked nothing like a turtle at all. In fact, he was rather handsome, despite appearing to be stitched together from many disparate parts, and much of him either green or purple.

The second figure was not fighting with the first, as Little D had presumed, but was trying in vain to tip the turtle-creature right side up. This second person was a gryphon with magnificent black and red plumage, wearing a pair of rectangular spectacles perched precariously upon his beak.

Little D darted around her protective companion and hurried forward to stand beside the two figures, tipping her head sideways to look the turtle-creature in the eye. "Hello," she ventured politely. "Would you like some help?"

"Ja, please!" the gryphon squawked, though his friend had also opened his mouth to reply. "My friend, the turtle for mocking, he has taken the fall and is now, how do you say... stuck."

The mock turtle nodded slowly. "Please," he confirmed, dolefully.

Little D bounced back to Clubs and tugged him over, though he seemed reluctant. Together, they eventually managed to right the mock turtle, though his friend the gryphon, in his enthusiasm, only hindered their efforts.

"Takk fyrir!" the gryphon screeched happily, then busied himself with preening his feathers.

"Thank you," the mock turtle added, still sounding rather melancholy.

"How did you come to be in this predicament?" Little D inquired, glancing further down the road toward the continuing sounds of the army. "Was it the Minions of Easter?"

The mock turtle shook his head slowly. "No, but they did nothing to help me, either. Rabbits are no great friends of turtles, after all."

Little D nodded. This made sense, though she could not quite pinpoint why.

"It was the gryphon's fault entirely," the mock turtle continued, swinging his head to gesture at his friend. "He thought he could fly us both to the Heart of the Park."

"Oh, did you want to use the wish?" Little D asked. "What did you want to wish for?"

"To be a real turtle again, of course." The mock turtle gazed wistfully toward the distant spire. "But I will never reach it now."

"I'm sorry," Little D said. She glanced down at the scraps of paper clutched in her paw. "But perhaps you could help me understand this poetry?"

"Oh, ja!" the gryphon exclaimed. "I have very knowledge of the poetry. Read to me it."

Little D read both verses aloud again, the strange creatures both seeming to listen closely. When she had finished, she looked up at them hopefully.

"No, I have no knowing of this," the gryphon said dismissively, with a rustle of his wings that might have been a shrug. "Is very silly." He returned to preening.

The mock turtle looked at Little D seriously. "That creature passed by here, at the head of the rabbot army. Do not follow it."

"But we have to get to the Heart of the Park!" she protested.

"You must take another route."

"Any other way would take even longer, and they're already so far ahead!"

"A short cut," the mock turtle said, shortly.

"But where--"

"Here." It was Clubs who spoke now. He pointed toward the trees to the side of the road, just a few feet on. Pinned to one tree trunk was another scrap of paper.

And, as in fluffish thought they stood,
The Ystre Bun, with eyes of light,
Came hopping through the tulgey wood
All rumbling for the fight!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items