Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm referring to the feat in Savage Species named Supernatural Transformation.
It changes any one spell-like ability into a supernatural ability.

The warlock is a base class in Complete Arcane, basically what they wanted to have when Wotc was contemplating the sorceror class (at least IMO).

If I convert my warlock's eldritch blast into a supernatural ability with the feat, when I apply blast shape and eldritch essence invocations to my eldritch blast, does the blast become a supernatural or spell-like ability? Can I even do that at all? Lastly, since it's no longer a supernatural ability, does that mean the feats that modify Spell-Like Abilities, such as Purify, Maximize, Extend, etc. can no longer interact with it?
Oh dear... Savage Species rears it's ugly head once again... *Sigh*!! wink

I see one of two scenarios developing..

1, The Eldritch Essence and Blast Shape invocations are invocations that are cast alongside with the Eldritch blast.. I suppose making one of the two actions a free action.. So whatever shape or form the Blast is in (Spell-like or Supernatural) The essence will still effect it, as what it does is modify the blast itself, not the meathod by which it is created...

The main point of turning an Eldritch blast into a Supernatural ability is so it will work in Null-Magic fields.. right? This would work, but obviously, your Warlock would be unable to apply Essence and Blast shape invocations to it in that environement, as the invocations are still Spell-Like...

2, By applying the Eldritch Essence or Blast Shape invocations.. those invocations themselves Become and/or replace the Blast.. (So it is a single action and not two actions as described above) So in this case, the Modified Eldritch blast would become a spell-like ability, while Eldritch blast itself remains Supernatural...

I prefer the first translation myself...

Did I make some sense there?
Actually even supernatural abilities get nerfed in antimagic areas, they just don't provoke AoOs or have to deal with spell resistance. From my understanding, the blast and essence invocations graft themselves onto a blast. one interpretation I've seen says something to the effect of needing to take Supernatural Transformation for every modified blats type you want to be supernatural instead of spell-like. By this logic:

ST (Eldritch blast) is a supernatural ability, making things like Eldritch Spear or Vitriolic Chain spell-like.

ST (Vitriolic Chain) When using a vitriolic blast combined with eldritch chain, the blast is considered a spell-like ability, while a "naked" eldritch blast is spell-like.
Galateal
Actually even supernatural abilities get nerfed in antimagic areas, they just don't provoke AoOs or have to deal with spell resistance. From my understanding, the blast and essence invocations graft themselves onto a blast. one interpretation I've seen says something to the effect of needing to take Supernatural Transformation for every modified blats type you want to be supernatural instead of spell-like. By this logic:

ST (Eldritch blast) is a supernatural ability, making things like Eldritch Spear or Vitriolic Chain spell-like.

ST (Vitriolic Chain) When using a vitriolic blast combined with eldritch chain, the blast is considered a spell-like ability, while a "naked" eldritch blast is spell-like.
Ack! You're Right! I'm thinking of Extraordianary abilitys arn't I!

Yea, I agree with the translation you give, that's kinda like the second theory I put accross... only worded differently... (read better!)

[Edit] Just a thought... but would turning it into a Su ability also remove the Arcane Spell Faliure Chance Invocations get?
Yup razz i've been toying around with what I call a "Barlock" (Warlock 11/Barbarian 12). When I realized I could pull off fell flight I kinda went nuts and took a bunch of flight-related feats. Combined with his belt of mighty prowess and greater rage he got up to 32 Strength and Consitution (giving him 454 hit points in the process) for 19 rounds eek .

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff