Welcome to Gaia! ::

Would you like to see the Marketplace tax increased?

Yes 0.13394744790094 13.4% [ 1774 ]
No 0.71534279673815 71.5% [ 9474 ]
Yay for neutrality/free gold! 0.15070975536092 15.1% [ 1996 ]
Total Votes:[ 13244 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 255 256 257 > >> >>> »|

Scurvy Pirate

Hi all,

We know many of you are asking for ways to reduce the gold/inflation in the economy and rest assured, we have several gold sinks coming down the pipe to satisfy that demand. We have noticed several requests/suggestions to increase the Marketplace tax though and wanted to know how all of you felt about this idea. It's a very simple thing for us to do and it would indeed increase the amount of gold being taken out of the economy. This isn't something to say we're definitely going to do it, but if the popular opinion is that it would be beneficial, it's definitely something we would consider.

So, how about it, do you think the Marketplace tax should be raised? Why/Why not? If you do want it higher, how much higher would you want to see it? 3%? 5%? 10%? Sound off below and let us know how you feel about it.

Perfect Saint

If only it involves Gaia Jaegers. I'm on the fence here.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
According to Black Witch of Ra, this is Gaia's first Jaeger.

Krule Keke's Significant Otter

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100

I suggest raising it to at least 9%. 2% is nothing.

“Does this hurt? Of course it does, that’s why I’m going to keep doing it.”

Greedy Drake

I would not want the marketplace tax increased because I actually sell things on the mp. Most people who do want it increased probably only sell a couple of things a month.

Relentless Glitch

I don't like it. I make my gold vending so this will hurt me. I see the possible long term good, but I can help but feel a little more than selfish.

Married Otaku

19,640 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
If the tax gets hiked I will stop using the MP completely and turn to the exchange instead, where I do not have to pay ANY tax. The only reason I have not yet done this is because 2% is small enough to not matter.

Not that it matters anyway now that you guys flooded the site with gold. rolleyes

Tiny Shapeshifter

10% is an easy number to work with, but I think it's too big of a jump for the sudden change. I prefer 5%. But, if you do go with 10%, well, I don't mind it too much either (I'll be bothered by it, but not too much). Dealing with 10% fee is so much better than dealing with bartering in the Exchange, let alone the fact that MP is so much more convenient.

It's probably going to be received negatively no matter what number you choose though. Sellers like to get as much gold from their items as possible (they'll just increase their item's price by however amount), while buyers like to buy items as close to their sell back price as possible (buyers of CI items)... People are just going to cry a river. xD

Ruthless Survivor

13,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Invisibility 100
I'd be cool with up to 5%. 4% would double the current marketplace goldsink effectiveness - but 5% is a nice even number lol.

Fluff Bunny

21,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Millionaire 200
I don't want to see the market tax go up because, I need all the money I can get. I'm sure there are a lot of people questing and this will only slow them down.

Greedy Drake

Uncle Kenny

Kenny can you make this a dev announcement about this vote. Not everyone reads site-feedback, and most of these people stalked you from that SF thread about this issue so votes might be a bit biased.

Distinct Pumpkin

please dont rise the tax
if you raised it to 10% i wouldnt sell in the mp anymore anyways if you did and i have sold a ton in the mp already over a bil in sales
i think ways to help with removing gold is to concentrate more on the gold shops make items people will want to buy, add a whole bunch new stuff to denier cri and slow down on the cash items (its making me want to cry having new cash stuff released every day)
Yes, but the most I'm willing to accept is 5%, otherwise I'm off to the Exchange forums.

Edit: Though, it does seem a bit unfair that Gaians have to be essentially penalized just because you guys are putting out too many cash shop offers with heavy gold generation without properly pacing it with gold sinks inbetween.

Scurvy Pirate

Jinglybell
Uncle Kenny

Kenny can you make this a dev announcement about this vote. Not everyone reads site-feedback, and most of these people stalked you from that SF thread about this issue so votes might be a bit biased.

I plan to do so tomorrow morning. I was too late to get it in today.

Tiny Shapeshifter

tsukune_713
please dont rise the tax
if you raised it to 10% i wouldnt sell in the mp anymore anyways if you did and i have sold a ton in the mp already over a bil in sales
i think ways to help with removing gold is to concentrate more on the gold shops make items people will want to buy, add a whole bunch new stuff to denier cri and slow down on the cash items (its making me want to cry having new cash stuff released every day)
What Gaia need is a constant gold-sink, not a temporary one (talking about your gold shop item idea). Sure, I don't like the idea of MP fee being 10% either, but gold shop items can only do so much.

Shy Gaian

13,750 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
No! Just No!
Not everyone on gaia is made of gold. Why are you guys so afraid to make it harder to earn gold in a more legit manner? This whole concern and issue with inflation and what not is staff's fault for even allowing users to make a couple mill in a few days from games like BG and zOMG in the first place! Not every plays those games. *raeg*

Edit:
Lemme give you an example. I and a lot of users I know only make gold selling fish on the MP to users questing rare fish helms or users making philosopher's caches. It takes me a month of fishing 12+ hours a day (average) to make a million gold off those fish. It takes a person playing BG, zOMG or HoC days. It takes someone vending on the MP minutes. Someone doing artwork or something? As long as it takes them to finish their drawing. A person making millions like it's nothing, won't even be bothered with a tax increase. The only users you'd be punishing/affecting are those who don't do the above actions.

Balance out gold earning across the site and the games. Make the gold sinks you already have actually attractive to use. Stop punishing truly poor users who find it hard to make gold. I'm so ******** tired of it. So ******** tired. scream

More feedback in the spoiler. Tl;dr is above.
General Feedback/ranting below:

Gaia's just bandaging the problem they made instead of actually fixing it. They're the ones who gave users a taste of greed through earning a million gold within two-three days, using what you're telling me now (as user told me they can make 210K in 4 hours). Gaia decided to throw out gold to users for absolutely no work at all compared to how it was before those games were put in, not us. So now that users can make gold really quickly the ones who can go "Oh this item's really not worth that much, but I can make this gold back really quick, so I'll buy it anyway." instead of sitting there thinking "Do I want this item or not?" And that equals a price increase.

And now Gaia goes "We wanna to see if you'd like the idea of taxing you more instead of using the gold sinks already here and balancing out gold earning across the site so users just don't farm the one or two things that makes them the most gold." Because God forbid they admit that those actions compared to every other action on this site, doesn't make anywhere near as much gold. Screw that, Gaia. For real.

And I'm not even talking about the Cash Shop, 'cause it only generates gold when Gaia goes full retard and hands it out in a CI/RIG fashion. Even the CS items having a sellback price doesn't generate gold, unless they soulbind the thing *stares at the good ol' poor "Oni Set" item*. Thank goodness they've stopped that. Usually the sellback price is too low compared to how much the item's worth on the MP.

This s**t's so easy to fix, it should have never happened.
Lower the CS price of zOMG powerups. Then nerf the gold. Even with that you'll still piss people off 'cause the staff behind that game decided to make it tedious as ******** to play for some stupid reason. I still remember that dev and his ridiculous notion of how to play that game "It's supposed to be like pacman, casual fun, but you never actually win." :eyeroll:

Lower the CS price of aquarium fish. The only reason BG exists, and the fish drop so much gold was because Gaia decided to make an item that dies/disappear cost so damn much. So they somehow had to make Gaia aquariums attractive to use. But God forbid Gaia make anything in the CS cost less than $2-3 USD. That's ********' taboo. "Do I buy an EI/REI or do I buy this fish? If I buy this fish, it better be worth it, which means they better drop a s**t ton of gold so I can buy the EI/REI I probably should have picked up in the first darn place."

Eventually...balance out gold earning across the games and the site, which includes the above. Make your gold sinks more attractive *stares at gold shops*. Problem solved. Prices may not drop back down to how they were, but those who don't touch those features won't feel like they "can't make gold for s**t" and those with way too much gold won't be sitting there bored out their minds trying to figure out "what do I do with this huge amount of gold? *stares at it*." This isn't rocket science and we're certainly not trying to build a nuclear power plant.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff