Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkling Transmutator

User Image

Announcement: I am winding down for the evening. I will continue updating tomorrow morning.

This is my first time making an Item Reference guide, especially for a RIG... but here we go.
I was wondering why there wasn't already a reference guide already, so I decided to take up the charge.
This thread will be listing the various references behind the items found in the Culinary Coliseum.
For a full list of the items (with links), please visit the Culinary Coliseum Item List. All are welcome.
Also for the fantastic and adorable art, please visit the lovely Culinary Coliseum Art Thread.
Oh and I simply cannot forget the ever-so-helpful Stage Results thread. It is filled with very useful information~

Do note, that not all of the items will have references. Some might just be food inspired.
I will need a lot of help gathering and sorting through the references that these items might have.
Thank you everyone for putting up with my first attempt in making an item reference thread. <3

Color Code:

Blue = indicates the item has a cultural reference.
Dark Red = indicates the item was simply inspired by food.
??? = reference has yet to be identified or added.

The Items:

User Image (Bonbonieru Konpeito) - Description and item name is referencing a Japanese candy. Proof: Image

User Image (Bourgaille) - Translates to "Hamburger" in the Norman language (prevalent in Normandy, France). Proof: Translation

User Image (Crème Brulée) - Just a reference to the food with the same name. Proof: Food

User Image (Cupcake Darling) - ???

User Image (Cutthroat Cook) - Might simply be a play on the Evil Chef trope. Proof: Trope Description

User Image (Dai-kun) - Reference to the Japanese radish Daikon. Frequent reference in anime and manga. Proof: Food , Image

User Image (Devil's Spice) - The character Sanji from the manga/anime One Piece. Proof: Image

User Image (Doufu Hua) - Based on a Chinese tofu dessert named Douhua. Proof: Food

User Image (Dulce Príncipe) - Spanish for "Sweet Prince". Description is a quote from T.V. personality Bethenny Frankel. Proof: Quote, Bethenny Frankel

User Image (Flaky Choco) - Inspired by Chocolate Croissants/Pastries. Proof: Food

User Image (Giovane Maccarone) - Translates to "Young Macaroon". Inspired by Coconut Almond Macaroons. Proof: Food

User Image (Hip Hop Shake) - ???

User Image (Honeydew Drop) - Simply based off of the Honeydew fruit. Proof: Food

User Image (Keylime Cutie Pie) - Simply based off the Key Lime Pie dessert. Proof: Food

User Image (Kyarameru the Purring) - Reverse pun translates into "Caramel the Pudding". Description mentions a Japanese dessert called the Giga Pudding. Proof: Food , Wiki

User Image (Loli Pop) - Description takes a line from the song Lollipop from the late 1950s. Proof: Wiki , Song

User Image (Mako Maki) - Could be inspired by a California/Japanese cuisine called Maki Maki, an assortment of sushi rolls. Proof: Food

User Image (Maraschino Cherry) - Reference to Shirley Temple. Dress is a redesign of her classic polka dot dress. Description contains lyrics to one of her songs. Proof: Song , Shirley Temple Dress , Food

User Image (Matcha Anko) - Referencing a Japanese dessert called Matcha Azuki (Green Tea Cake with Red Bean Paste). Proof: Food

User Image (Onigiri Emotion) - Homage to the trend involving putting cute faces on Onigiri, which has been featured all over the internet and anime over the past few years. Proof: Image

User Image (Piero Dionysus) - Referencing Dionysus, the Greed god of grape harvest, wine-making, ritual madness and ecstasy. Description also references wine. Proof: Image , Wiki

User Image (Princess of Cakes) - ???

User Image (Queen Marie's Velvet) - In reference to Marie Antoinette. Description is a play off of the quote "Let them eat cake!" once believed to have been said by Marie Antoinette towards her subjects before a revolution that ended with her execution. Proof: Marie Antoinette , Quote, Wiki

User Image (Red Leather Scotch) - Poses referencing the hit show Mad Men. Description is a quote from Alice in Wonderland, but is used in a popular Mad Men blog. Proof: Blog , Image

User Image (Royal Jelly-Bee) - ???

User Image (Shrimp Cocktail) - ???

User Image (Silver Service) - Lumiere from Beauty and the Beast. Item description is a quote. Proof: Link , Character

User Image (Sugared Ambrosia) - ???

User Image (Sunny Hollandaise) - Inspired by Hollandaise Sauce, a sauce comprised of egg yolk and liquid butter. A key ingrediant to eggs Benedict (which could account for the white and yellow color combination in the item). Proof: Sauce, Eggs Benedict

User Image (Sweet Strudel) - Inspired by Strudel, an Austria/Hungary dessert. Proof: Food

User Image (Truffle Man) - ???

User Image (Turkish Delight) - Clothing inspired by Turkish dancers. Item name references the candy, Turkish Delight. Proof: Dancers , Food

User Image (Xiaolong Bao Bao) - "哑巴吃饺子,心里有数 !" in the description translates to "A dumb person eats dumplings". Literally: He knows the number in his mind, although he cannot say it. Figuratively: Means somebody has a clear idea of the situation. Clothing is inspired by Chinese dumplings called Xiao Long Bao. Proof: Translation , Food

The Sets:

User Image User Image (Soft Serve Set) - Inspired by over-the-top soft serve ice cream and ice cream costumes. Proof: Costume

User Image (Angel Food Maker) - Inspired by Angel Food Cake. Proof: Food

User Image (Devil Food Baker) - Inspired by Devil's Food Cake. Proof: Food

User Image User Image User Image (Refreshing Set) - Item descriptions are lyrics from the song "Summer Paradise" by Simple Plan. Proof: Song

The Recolors:

User Image (Black Russian) - Recolor of the White Russian. Simply inspired by the alcoholic Black Russian drink. Proof: Original Item, Drink

User Image (Mille-Crepe Au Chocolat) - Recolor of the Mille-Crepe. Simply inspired by a chocolate Mille-Crepe. Proof: Original Item, Food

The SDPlus Dolls / RIG NPCs:

User Image (SDPlus #435 Chairman Basil Confit IV) - Possibly inspired by Japan's Iron Chef Chairman Takeshi Kaga. Proof: Image, Wiki

User Image (SDPlus #436 Calvin Pointer) - ???

User Image (SDPlus #437 Fleury Ives) - Possible reference to Jean Armstrong a "French" chef in the Phoenix Wright video game series. Proof: Character

User Image (SDPlus #438 Kid Kobe) - Character is filled with food puns (especially of the meat variety). Named derived from Kobe beef. Proof: Food

User Image (SDPlus #439 Harrison Simmer) - ???

User Image (SDPlus #440 Tetsu Yoshimi) - Character design is similar to Baiken from the Guilty Gear video game. Description is a quote from the anime Mobile Fighter G Gundam. Proof: Baiken , G Gundam, Quote

User Image (SDPlus #441 Seol-tang Park) - Description references lyrics to a song by SNSD/Girl's Generation. Proof: Song

Original Pumpkin

I think Devil's Spice is reference to Sanji from One Piece:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Fluffy Creature

Silver Service: The description is a quote from Beauty and the Beast (Lumiere says it at the beginning of Be Our Guest).
Devil's Spice: Sanji from One Piece

In a relationship with Elemes Kant

Steadfast Inquisitor

13,075 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Battle: Defender 100
  • Bookworm 100
User Image
SDPlus #439 Harrison Simmer

AND his RIG challenge line ''Simmer down now'' reference to a reoccurring Saturday Night Live character named Nadine, played by Cheri Oteri. Who, predictably enough, told people to 'Simmaaaaahhh daaaahhhnnn naaaaaah.'

Fuzzy Bear

I'd say most of them arent references to people or shows but are easily figured out references to foods. refreshing lime, turkish delight, maraschino Cherry, loli pop etc etc

Firebreathing Dragon

23,425 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Dragon Master 50
Loli pop description is a song called Lollipop from 1958 Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lollipop_(1958_song)

Big Member

I love each and every single item. <33333

Dangerous Sex Symbol

Red Leather Scotch is based on the TV show Mad Men.

Sparkling Transmutator

Officer Russell-Peters
The Harrison Simmer doll AND challenge line ''Simmer down now'' is a reference to a Saturday Night Live character named Nadine. Who, predictably enough, told people to 'Simmaaaaahhh daaaahhhnnn naaaaaah.'

I don't believe those items are referencing that Saturday Night Live character.
Nadine might have used the word "Simmaaaaahhh", but Harrison isn't like her at all.
Besides, he has "Simmer" in his name. He could just be referencing his own name.

Steadfast Inquisitor

13,075 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Bookworm 100
Winter Hue
Officer Russell-Peters
The Harrison Simmer doll AND challenge line ''Simmer down now'' is a reference to a Saturday Night Live character named Nadine. Who, predictably enough, told people to 'Simmaaaaahhh daaaahhhnnn naaaaaah.'

Nadine might have used the word "Simmaaaaahhh", but Harrison isn't like her at all.
Besides, he has "Simmer" in his name. He could just be referencing his own name.

No, it is an SNL reference. I used the stretched out version that she mentions as a fun way to verifying it. I also could have said ''Sih-mah-dah-na. Nah laaa...na.'' Or ''SIMMADAHNAH''.

You want proof?

Pyawakit tipped my post by the way. I think that's a pretty good indication I got the ref right.

boichiro's Senpai

Vicious Cutesmasher

I'm quite curious about the reference for Dai-Kun; hopefully something about it will be posted soon.

Sparkling Transmutator

Officer Russell-Peters
    Winter Hue
    Officer Russell-Peters

No, it is an SNL reference. I used the stretched out version that she mentions as a fun way to verifying it. I also could have said ''Sih-mah-dah-na. Nah laaa...na.'' Or ''SIMMADAHNAH''.

You want proof?

Pyawakit tipped my post by the way. I think that's a pretty good indication I got the ref right.

Now now don't get defensive. It is very logical for me to question it considering the RIG character looks or acts anything like that SNL character.

Fashionable Vampire

SDPlus #441 Seol-tang Park's description is homage to the song "Gee" by Korean pop group SNSD.

Princess of Cakes is referencing princess cakes.

Reindeer

bonbonieru is a reference to all those pastel goth/kawaii grunge/pastel grunge fashions that are raging on tumblr right now

creme brulee is just a reference to the food

cupcake darling + cutthroat cook look like theyre kpop inspired

daikun = a play on words for daikon, a japanese radish

doufu hua is a reference to dou hua, a chinese food...lol basically messier-ly chopped up tofu that can be served spicy or sweet

matcha anko = just the anko part makes me think of tamako market, but im probably WRONG..since the outfit has nothing to do with it at all

maraschino cherry = the cherry..

queen maries velvet = red velvet cake...

Steadfast Inquisitor

13,075 Points
    • Citizen 200
    • Bookworm 100
    Winter Hue

Now now don't get defensive. It is very logical for me to question it considering the RIG character looks or acts anything like that SNL character.

That wasn't me getting defensive. That was me providing evidence of my own path of logic.

I figured I'd give you specific references (those which I could find on Youtube...too bad I couldn't find Cheri Oteri's ''Simmer'' Christmas skit), and added in the bit about the artist tipping my post to bolster my case.

That's all I had to contribute to this thread, so I'm out now. Have fun collecting references.

Quick Reply

Submit
    Manage Your Items
    Other Stuff
    Get GCash
    Offers
    Get Items
    More Items
    Where Everyone Hangs Out
    Other Community Areas
    Virtual Spaces
    Fun Stuff