Welcome to Gaia! ::

8,700 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Is anyone else who gives regular advice on these boards finding the lack of material to work with frustrating as hell?

"I need help with my story, it's about a girl with blue eyes. Also, a title. And can you help me think of a name for her? She's shy."

They give you ****ing nothing to go on and want help. And by help I suspect they mean "Just tell me what to write."

Would it kill them to post some of their story? Do they think someone's going to steal their shitty writing and get rich off it? There was one a few weeks ago who wanted help making their story sound a certain way, but wouldn't ****ing post any of it. Oh, she'd tell us all about the damn thing, but wouldn't post more than a sentence or two.

It's writing, kids. It's words. It's not an expensive piece of fabric you can't afford to eff up, or weapon's grade uranium. Show it. Tweak it. Mess around. Give us something to work with! Writing isn't something you can discuss meaningfully in the abstract, you need something to point to while you do it, and it's not as if you're going to break it by doing so.

Wealthy Informer

2,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
That's why I don't post in those threads. If someone has a fully developed plot and characters and needs advice progressing it, sure, I'll help, but if people asks for a plot to be written out for them then I won't help, that's just lazy.

There's nothing more exciting then creating a new plot and with new characters biggrin
You see like the example you gave. I think it's often a misunderstanding. They're less experienced and aren't sure what we need to know. They may not even have an idea yet, hoping someone will say something that turns the bulb on.

Then there's insecurity. It's not easy to share.

It doesn't really bother me. It might if I was a professional writer and they emailed me for help but kept dancing around my questions for more info/context like it was molten fire. Here? Not so much.

*shrugs* I've gotten somewhat picky at what topics I respond to.

Salty Pirate

46,975 Points
  • Grunnyland Dabbler 50
  • Grunnyland Collector 150
  • Grunnyland Expert 250
It only bothers me when they get all defensive when asked for more information.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Klaark

Would it kill them to post some of their story?

I''ve been told 'yes.'
Lazarus Larkin
It only bothers me when they get all defensive when asked for more information.

Just had a flash of Gollum and his ring.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff