Welcome to Gaia! ::

User ImageUser Image

Before posting, please be sure to read all the key posts below. Anyone ignoring the rules will be blacklisted and unable to post in the thread.

User Image

Welcome to Care for a Newb! This little project was started by The rebel prince!, who has kindly agreed to let us take over the idea for the time being, so we can put its wonderful incentives and ideas to use. With this thread, we aim to help newbies acclimatize themselves to the OP/L by pairing them up with poets and regulars.

Below are lists of our participating poets and newbies, as well as what is expected from both, and how to enrol as either.

Any questions can be asked here or sent via PM to the project's mule account.

User Image

• Gaians wanting to be a Poet in CAN apply by completing and posting the below form. Accepted poets are added to the Our Poets roster, posted below.
  • Gaians wanting to be a Newbie in CAN look through the Out Poets roster below, and choose their preferred Poet.
  • The preferred Poet posts to agree and the Newbie is added to the Our Newbies roster below. Poets are encouraged to post with their views while/before accepting (for example, their views on what the Newbie would benefit from working on).
  • Our Newbies and Poets then post here with their pieces and critiques. We ask that you post here to show progress between our Newbies and Poets, and to encourage others to join in.

It's that simple!
User Image

Everyone
  • No trolling.
  • No flaming.
  • Any work posted for or as feedback is to be posted in default font (black, size 12, non-boldfaced, non-italicised, non-underlined font). The only exception to this rule is stylised font used as a poetic device.
  • Remember, this thread is as much for getting to know one another as it is on helping one another with their poetry. Have fun!
  • Commenting on one another's work is accepted here, but please don't take to critiquing everyone without applying as a Poet.

Newbies
  • Be graceful in accepting criticism. By posting in here, you're submitting your work to be criticised by your chosen Poet and possibly others.
  • Remember that critiques can be quite time and energy consuming, and so might not be done straight away. Everyone has their lives off the Internet, the Poets here are no exception to that.
  • Also by submitting you are agreeing to edit your poetry based on the feedback received. Refusing to do so will result in your username being removed from the list of project members.
  • Newbies can only have one Poet at a time. You can request to change your Poet if you wish to, but please be sure to tell your Poet about this before hand. This is your responsibility. Putting a lot of work into helping someone develop their art just to have them jump ship isn't a nice thing to experience.

Poets
  • By posting here, you're agreeing to be kind and considerate when giving criticism. What you may consider to be obvious and basic in writing may not be so obvious and easy to grasp first time for your Newbie. Letting yourself get easily frustrated won't be any help to anyone.
  • Although critiques are time and energy consuming, please try to have them posted in a timely fashion. A couple of days is neither here or there, but waiting a week for feedback from someone who is specifically mentoring you is frustrating.
  • Poets can also be Newbies if they like. In this case, the rules for Newbies still apply to Poets participating as both.

These rules may and can change. If any big changes are made, an announcement will be posted under the guild mule in the thread. All the same, please be sure to read over them from time to time.

User Image

• When you post, send your Poet/Newbie a PM to let them know. As said before, we all have lives offline and a quote notification doesn't always mean you have a completed poem/critique waiting for you.
  • If you don't understand something, ask. This goes for both Poets and Newbies. No one knows everything. Not understanding a reference in a poem or understanding why some feedback would be important doesn't make you stupid. Being to proud to ask does.
  • Newbies: If you decide not to use a specific piece of criticism, explain why, don't just overlook it. This will give your Poet a chance to explain whether or not s/he thinks this is a good or bad idea, and why.
  • Poets: Explain your feedback. There's no point in saying "use enjambment" or something similar if your Newbie doesn't know what enjambment is or why it's important.
User Image

As should be obvious by now, the role of a Poet here is to take their Newbie(s) under their wing and help them develop their writing. We also expect Poets to help their Newbie(s) in getting used to the OP/L (how to take criticism, OP/L etiquette, &c.). We really want everyone to have fun in here; enjoy getting to know one another and talking about writing, but please remember this is a responsibility.

Poets won't automatically be accepted because of their interest. Please fill out the form below and we will add your name to the list if we feel you're suitable to be a Poet. Either way, you'll be PM'd to let you know if/when you've been accepted as a Poet.

[b]Length of Time Writing/Critiquing:[/b]
[b]Example of Poetry:[/b]
[b]Example of Critiques:[/b]
[b]What You Like in Poetry:[/b]
[b]What You Dislike in Poetry:[/b]
[b]What You Expect in a Newbie:[/b]

If you're accepted as a Poet, your form above will be added to the Our Poets roster below for our Newbies to look through and choose their preferred Poet. Please also remember that this will be a reflection of what to expect as you from a Poet.

User Image
[in alphanumeric order]

Adimurti
Length of Time Writing/Critiquing: About 9/10 years.
Example of Poetry:
Example of Critiques:
What You Like in Poetry: I like to see a vivid imagination, strong and original communication/presentation of ideas, and a creative use of poetic devices. I feel art should be a methodical process and writing is most probably the easiest form of art to use such a process in. To be honest, I just love to see creativity. Showing off your intellect won't get me nearly as excited as showing me you have a great imagination.
What You Dislike in Poetry: Form (including rhyme) being used for the sake of it. Using a form won't get you brownie points from me unless I feel it's being used in a way that enhances they content of the poem. I can't express how much this irritates me. Restricting yourself for the sake of it doesn't make you a better poet, if anything it's the opposite. All it does is restrain your ideas, which to me completely contradicts the whole idea of poetry.
What You Expect in a Newbie: All I expect in a Newbie is for them to enjoy writing and to want to learn about the technicalities behind writing. I'm not interested in someone who isn't interested in learning about poetry as an art.
Current Newbies: Elexa, melon386.

Calviness
Not Accepting Any New Newbies, at the Moment
Length of Time Writing/Critiquing:abt. 10 years
Example of Poetry:
Example of Critiques:
What You Like in Poetry: sound play, word play, imagery
What You Dislike in Poetry: excessive repetition, wordiness, funky formatting
What You Expect in a Newbie: I am polite, considerate, and dedicated, I expect the same from any Newbie. I like talking about the theory and art behind what we write, and how. If you disagree with my critique, I would like to know why - who knows, you might teach me something. I am not going to be able to help you polish your grammar - I struggle with that myself - but that doesn't mean that I won't catch a misspelled word or strange punctuation. Most of all, if I give advice, I do expect it to be at least listened to.
Current Newbies: Mistaken 4 Granted.

Lovers Never Tell
Length of Time Writing/Critiquing: Writing - 11 years. Critiquing - 4 years
Example of Poetry: Here. Just read.
Example of Critiques: Uhhh...
What You Like in Poetry: Puns, imagery, imagination, something concrete and tangible, complicated forms, free/blank verse
What You Dislike in Poetry: Obsessive and needless repetition, Same old, boring analogies and similes, shitty grammar and bad spelling, using big words just because they're big.
What You Expect in a Newbie: Nothing more than respect and that they follow the rules... and use grammar and abc check...
Current Newbies: None Yet!

rumirumirumirumi
Length of Time Writing/Critiquing: 11+ years
Example of Poetry:One Two A Collaberation Topic History
Example of Critiques:One Two Three Four Older one
What You Like in Poetry: I like feeling s**t or thinking s**t or doing s**t.
What You Dislike in Poetry: I don't like it when I don't feel s**t or think s**t or do s**t.
What You Expect in a Newbie: I expect a newbie will respond to criticism or challenge with smug indignity or dogged sycophancy. Once that's done, they're probably not a newbie anymore. I like the idea of working closely with someone, but Master/Student relationship is a little weird.
Current Newbies: None Yet!
User Image

As a Newbie, you have a responsibility to yourself. By posting here, you're saying that you want to work on your craft and become part of the cliquey OP/L.

By posting to be a Newbie, you're not saying "I'm no good at writing!". There's a difference between "journal poetry" and poetry as art - posting here just means you want to learn more about the latter, and I haven't seen any other writing forums that can help with that like Gaia's OP/L.

Newbies are accepted pending on a Poet accepting their request. Please fill out the form below and we will add your name to the list if/when the Poet confirms. If your preferred Poet doesn't accept, you're more than welcome to apply asking for another Poet. And remember that a poet not accepting isn't a reflection of you.

[b]Length of Time Writing/Critiquing:[/b]
[b]Example of Poetry:[/b]
[b]What You Like in Poetry:[/b]
[b]What You Dislike in Poetry:[/b]
[b]What You Expect in a Poet:[/b]
[b]Area(s) You Would Most Like Help With:[/b]
[b]Preferred Poet:[/b]

If you're accepted as a Newbie, your form above will be added to the Our Newbies roster below.

User Image
[in alphanumeric order]

akumestsi
Length of Time Writing/Critiquing: On and off fiction writing for a couple years. Poetry maybe a few months.
Example of Poetry:
What You Like in Poetry: How much that can be said in such few words and the beauty
What You Dislike in Poetry: The strict forms and rythms
What You Expect in a Poet: Knowledge of the technical aspects and the wisdom of what to use and when
Area(s) You Would Most Like Help With: I have problems with being wordy, can let metaphors go too long, and sometimes make ideas too abstract
Current Poet: Lovers Never Tell

calviness
Length of Time Writing/Critiquing: long enough.
Example of Poetry: see above.
What You Like in Poetry: intellectual challenge, emotional stirrings - those kinds of things.
What You Dislike in Poetry: arguing with form, sentimentality, etc.
What You Expect in a Poet: Someone who will crack the proverbial whip, and beat my stubborn bad habits out. Or just someone who'd like to check my grammar for me. You know, it's all the same.
Area(s) You Would Most Like Help With: Grammar. Also, if someone can help me get over my battle against set form/rhyme, that would be like a miracle.
Preferred Poet: someone I don't know already would be fun. But I promise to not ignore good advice from anybody.

Elexa
Length of Time Writing/Critiquing: It's very vague. around 4-6 years, but it's really been an on-again off-again thing.
Example of Poetry: I have a thread floating around, but this is my newest one and I haven't posted it anywhere, yet. Post.
What You Like in Poetry:puns, alliteration, clever images, occasional sappiness, irreverence
What You Dislike in Poetry: pointless obfuscation, clichés (with no twists or anything)
What You Expect in a Poet: Support but not coddling, willingness to discuss back and forth, some insight into some of my artistic bind spots, but obviously that comes more with time. Maybe some good reading recommendations, but that's pretty optional.
Area(s) You Would Most Like Help With: I have trouble finding inspiration and so I rely on writing about myself and with myself as the narrator most of the time, which I know is limiting. I just have trouble tackling larger or less personal themes without coming off (at least to myself) as pretty pretentious. I can also tend towards some awkward phrasings and rapidly-shifting metaphors, so some help cleaning those up would be great.
Current Poet: Adimurti

melon386
Length of time writing: 5 years, but I didn't get really into it until the second year
Example of poetry: Link
What you like in poetry: I like being able to vividly express every emotion and feeling that I have. I especially like metaphors and imagery.
What you dislike in poetry: I hate when it doesn't flow or have some sort of rhythm to it.
What you expect in a poet: I'm hoping for someone that will really criticize me. I also need someone to help me with form and grammar. I basically just write what I want and call it poetry, but I'm hoping to have someone to guide me to poetic genius. Or at least help me be less of a newb.
Areas you would most like help with: Poetic form, grammar, creativity with words (I have a limited vocabulary), basically everything razz
Current Poet: Admiurti

Mistaken 4 Granted
Length of Time Writing/Critiquing: 9-10 Years
Example of Poetry:
I cannot be compared to the poets who write so well,
they almost trick their readers into relating to their stories.
I cannot be compared to those poets who pore their hearts out on paper,
and sketch a masterpiece of words.
I also cannot be compared to those poets we call the rhyme masters, who rhyme beautifully, and take your breathe away.
I simply cannot be compared the poets who write so well they leave you speechless.
But of course that's not a bad thing.
I cannot be related to the Maya Angelou's of our time.
The Robert Frost's of the future.
Nor the Emily Dickinson's of tomorrow.
No not I.
I cannot be compared to those greats of the then, these greats of today.
For I believe I am a poet of unspoken time.
A nomad of the hobby of writing.
A vagabond with my words.
And I fear no matter how much I write, maybe it all should remain hidden.
What You Like in Poetry: Imagery, Emotion, Beauty, Word Choice, Flow, Something that connects all things together, Or tells a story
What You Dislike in Poetry: Big words that are just used, stealing of other ideas, simplistic poems, poetry that doesn't have emotion
What You Expect in a Poet: Kindness, Honesty, Not slamming of my poems but help with how to get better
Area(s) You Would Most Like Help With:
Current Poet: Calviness

Rhiea chan
Length of Time Writing/Critiquing: 3+ years writing, but I do feel like I have a decent bit of skill.
Example of Poetry:Second post here has 3 The poem folder on my DA My Newest
What You Like in Poetry: Dark, Sick, Grotesque, Sexual themes. Nature poems that make everything come alive. Goddess Poems that do a good job of depicting energy in them or the earth. Visual poems. I LOVE detailed imagery.
What You Dislike in Poetry: Rhyming. It makes me want to explode. I always thought it made poems sound amateurish. I also dislike extremely short poems (excluding properly done haikus) Or extremely long (novel sized) poems.
What You Expect in a Poet: Some one who won't baby me, or over look little things just because I've improved over time. Basically Some one who will support me, but if I have a nasty reoccurring problem, be willing to dig their nails in and make me stop. My previous mentor in poetry started to baby me because we became really good friends, and I feel that I cannot improve beyond this point because of that.
Area(s) You Would Most Like Help With: Grammar and Grammar mistakes biased on spelling. My spelling is discussing, and any time I use spell check, I'll end up picking the wrong word, and that really kills me.(Sometime letters get a little mixed up for me because I have bad vision problems.)
I also need help writing structured poems, because almost everything I write is what I tend to classify as 'Free verse'
A third thing I need help with is FINISHING THINGS. I will start poems, get several verses done, then Not be able to think of anything else... Yet the work just doesn't feel done.
Preferred Poet: Any one who is willing to work with me. I can be hard to work with at times, but for the sake of getting better I am really willing to work.
User Image
No One Yet!
Let's Keep it That Way, Yeah?
User Image

If you'd be so wonderfully kind as to agree to advertising our little project in your signatures or posts we've got a few little signature images you can use, below. They're only small, so they won't cause too much clutter.

User Image . User Image . User Image

Baby Einstein Sig:
[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/t.74991805/][img]http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy40/Adimurti/Gaia/Care for a Newb/BabyEinsteinSig.png[/img][/url]

Kid Sig:
[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/t.74991805/][img]http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy40/Adimurti/Gaia/Care for a Newb/KidSig.png[/img][/url]

Teacher Sig:
[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/t.74991805/][img]http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy40/Adimurti/Gaia/Care for a Newb/TeacherSig.png[/img][/url]

3,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Aaand we're open! biggrin
Username: Elexa
Length of Time Writing/Critiquing: It's very vague. around 4-6 years, but it's really been an on-again off-again thing.
Example of Poetry: I have a thread floating around, but this is my newest one and I haven't posted it anywhere, yet.

This is what happens when you read books.

It's the little cracks in my fishbowl mind
that leave my courage gasping on dry land.
One author's flashbulb line about pink vs. brown nipples
and, removing the day's clothy carapace,
suddenly I look down on little mountains of naked uncertainty.
I ask the tannish snowcaps if they can't reach some consensus
with the blushed pink peaks, but press a point too hard
and they send only testy nerve-missives in reply
(they're sensitive, you know).
Perhaps I should be grateful for my quantum nipples,
but in my experience "both" is really "neither."
A plaintive mewl of "I don't know" may keep the world at bay
until your inner scientist dissects that forbidden portion of your heart.
Or, you know, other parts of your chest.
But stall too long and the impatient world will tick a box for you.
And whatever it picks your skin will crawl under your shiny new soup can label.
But really, if that damn writer hadn't gone and shackled my pink-brown mammaries
to my epicanthic folds and amber skin,
then maybe I'd have a shirt on by now.

What You Like in Poetry:puns, alliteration, clever images, occasional sappiness, irreverence
What You Dislike in Poetry: pointless obfuscation, clichés (with no twists or anything)
What You Expect in a Poet: Support but not coddling, willingness to discuss back and forth, some insight into some of my artistic bind spots, but obviously that comes more with time. Maybe some good reading recommendations, but that's pretty optional.
Area(s) You Would Most Like Help With: I have trouble finding inspiration and so I rely on writing about myself and with myself as the narrator most of the time, which I know is limiting. I just have trouble tackling larger or less personal themes without coming off (at least to myself) as pretty pretentious. I can also tend towards some awkward phrasings and rapidly-shifting metaphors, so some help cleaning those up would be great.

Do I also list my preferred poet? That wasn't on the form, but it's implied in the application guidelines. Well, I would love it if Adimurti would be my poet.
What criteria would make an exceptional candidate for poet? What criteria would bar someone as a candidate?

3,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Elexa
Username: Elexa
Example of Poetry: I have a thread floating around, but this is my newest one and I haven't posted it anywhere, yet.

This is what happens when you read books.

It's the little cracks in my fishbowl mind
that leave my courage gasping on dry land.
One author's flashbulb line about pink vs. brown nipples
and, removing the day's clothy carapace,
suddenly I look down on little mountains of naked uncertainty.
I ask the tannish snowcaps if they can't reach some consensus
with the blushed pink peaks, but press a point too hard
and they send only testy nerve-missives in reply
(they're sensitive, you know).
Perhaps I should be grateful for my quantum nipples,
but in my experience "both" is really "neither."
A plaintive mewl of "I don't know" may keep the world at bay
until your inner scientist dissects that forbidden portion of your heart.
Or, you know, other parts of your chest.
But stall too long and the impatient world will tick a box for you.
And whatever it picks your skin will crawl under your shiny new soup can label.
But really, if that damn writer hadn't gone and shackled my pink-brown mammaries
to my epicanthic folds and amber skin,
then maybe I'd have a shirt on by now.

Do I also list my preferred poet? That wasn't on the form, but it's implied in the application guidelines. Well, I would love it if Adimurti would be my poet.

I'd love to work with you. =]

I'll add your info to the post and add "Preferred Poet" to the form. Really shouldda put that in there. =

If you want to, you can post your poem on here and I get onto critiquing it tomorrow. I'd make a start now but it's getting late where I am and I feel I should start as I mean to go on, rather than giving you a crit while I'm half asleep.

3,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
rumirumirumirumi
What criteria would make an exceptional candidate for poet? What criteria would bar someone as a candidate?

I think an exceptional candidate for a poet would be someone who can critique honestly without being harsh and seeming discouraging. The idea of this thread is to give newbies to the OP/L a place to get used to accepting critique in a way that shows them critique isn't an attack at them. So long as the poet has a good attitude and enough experience to be able to help others with their writing, they're qualified to be a poet and more than welcome to apply.

I wouldn't say that someone could be barred as a candidate as a poet. If anything we'd just suggest that the person goes away and works more on understanding the technicalities of poetry a little better so they could be a better help to their newbie.
dangit! How come you get to steal the newb that wants "support but not coddling"?! I say dibs on the next one!

Also, because I'm greedy, and like to get crit whenever possible...
Length of Time Writing/Critiquing: long enough.
Example of Poetry: see above.
What You Like in Poetry: intellectual challenge, emotional stirrings - those kinds of things.
What You Dislike in Poetry: arguing with form, sentimentality, etc.
What You Expect in a Poet: Someone who will crack the proverbial whip, and beat my stubborn bad habits out. Or just someone who'd like to check my grammar for me. You know, it's all the same.
Area(s) You Would Most Like Help With: Grammar. Also, if someone can help me get over my battle against set form/rhyme, that would be like a miracle.
Preferred Poet: someone I don't know already would be fun. But I promise to not ignore good advice from anybody.

3,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
calviness
dangit! How come you get to steal the newb that wants "support but not coddling"?! I say dibs on the next one!

I can do "not coddling"... when I try. Haha.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff