Welcome to Gaia! ::

I am going to apologize to all those on the Gaia team who spent weeks working on this "Prom Crashers" idea, but I must say this:

This was probably one of the worst events we've ever had. First of all, the Gaia team actually encouraged, yes, encouraged cybering by making the "seedy bathroom" area (which is exactly how they described it in the announcement). Whether or not cybering was implied, I can assure you that that's what 90% of Gaians went in there to do - either pick up other members for cybering in the houses or right there for all to see. As if enough 14-year-olds aren't doing that in towns. Gaia has gone way downhill as far as keeping Gaia "kid-friendly."

Second, it was insanely difficult to win any prizes or gold even on the easiest levels of the dancing game. I had an extremely hard time with it and won nothing. Yes, it's nice to have a challenge, but that was just obnoxious. Call me a failure, but I won nothing.

I will admit that some of the prom outfits were actually very interesting, though I'm sure it might have been an attempt to help Gaia's stumbling economy.

My biggest problem with the whole thing: the fact that Gaia is no longer all-ages-appropriate. Has anyone seen the
Buddhist Monk's Rosary Red item description!?!

"I don't care what those Tantric New Agers told you, this is what you should be fingering while you meditate."

I can tell you right now, if I had a say in the age group that should be allowed on Gaia, it would more than likely be sixteen and up, and a decent portion of Gaia's population is under fifteen.

That's how I wanted to sign the year book. biggrin
It could be that the rest of the world is getting like this, and Gaia is just keeping up. My small town school bathroom was littered with those type of phrases. Songs, movies, commercials, TV is all going like this.

We're (humans) are always pushing boundaries. The more we push, the less it becomes a "shock" value. This means the boundary gets pushed back, and we again strive to break it. This is nothing new.

Invisible Heckler

13,500 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100

I love the cheeky item descriptions.
And honestly, even if they HADN'T had the 'seedy bathroom', you can bet that there probably would have been cybering.
A favourite quote of mine is "They'd do it if our avatars were black shadows or looked like the current president.", all that can be done is to report it.
The Admins have said Gaia is a 13+ site, and I doubt they'll change it.

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Friendly Vet

39,675 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Fluff Rehab 200
While I admit the bathroom was trashy and distasteful, it's not like the admins said "Here's a place for you to go cyber!" They have no control what people decide to do when they make a "seedy bathroom". Like you said, people are already doing cybering in towns; I don't think people decided to do it just because of the bathroom.

I had absolutely no trouble in winning all the prizes from the game. It's the same thing with the rest of Gaia's games: some people are good at them, some people aren't. Gaia can't cater to everybody, and I actually applaud them for at least trying something new instead of the usual "click a button under this many people and get a prize" events that they've always had.

And this site has never been all-ages appropriate. When you register, you're required to say that you're over 13, and while that item description may not be suited for little kids, I don't think anyone over 13 would really have a problem with it. By that time, they're heard worse, I'm sure, and if they haven't, then they probably don't know what it means anyway.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff