Welcome to Gaia! ::

How much thought do you put into setting?

Setting? I'm too busy with plot and character to worry about setting! 0.081632653061224 8.2% [ 4 ]
I like to make sure it's at least believable 0.51020408163265 51.0% [ 25 ]
I am an obsessive worldbuilder and know more about the history of the world as my characters 0.24489795918367 24.5% [ 12 ]
Obligatory Pollwhore option 0.16326530612245 16.3% [ 8 ]
Total Votes:[ 49 ]

Have you ever read one of those stories where you feel as if the characters are acting against a white background? How about a problem particularly common in the fantasy genre, when you find yourself staring at a character juxtaposed against a society that has no room for said character's beliefs to develop?

Every few months or so I seem to run against one of those setting vs. character vs plot threads, and completely ignoring how difficult I believe it is to seperate them, I am always struck by the way no one pays much attention to the setting option. The focus is always the actions and the people doing the actions, with very little regard for the place these actions are taking place in. For the world, in other words.

. . . I can only say that I hope this isn't because no one ever thinks about the setting.

I'm not saying that the setting is more important than plot or character, because I don't mean that by a long shot, but I do think it is more important than people give it credit for. The natural background of the world, after all, will effect the plot, the things the characters need to take care of, the difficulty of getting to one place or another . . . and the list goes on. Time setting will effect things--- a story taking place in the winter will require different actions than one taking place in the summer. If your character is crossing a bridge in a stormy, meltwater-full early spring, there is far more room for drama than if they are crossing it on a sunny summer day.

And society, and the ways it will shape a character--- in belief, appearance, and actions--- needs a lot of thought, too. You can do it backwards to assimulate your character with them world (or at least make them a believable product of it), or create a society and see what kind of character will come out of it, but few things are more jarring than a 20th century character in a 14th century world with absolutely no explanation for it.

Please think about your setting. Its your characters' homes and your plots' backdrop. There's no reason it shouldn't be as vibrant as they are.

So . . . any thoughts on setting, and how much thought people need to put into it?
Setting is an incredibly important foundation. It doesn't make a story, but it can break it. One of my favorite characters was a feisty warrior woman half crazed AND royal blood. She could have this odd combination because even though her world was medievil, she came from a wild swamp tribe, explaining the odd bits like her position in society, her fighting ability etc.

Really, if you have a crap setting then you WILL have a story that's underpar.

Hallowed Phantom

And a setting does not have to be detailed; just enough that the reader knows the time and place. For example:

1881 in the Opera House.
2890 on Mars, with a space colony and possible mingling of alien life.
Medieval Europe, in a cold dungeon cell.

It probably is wise to go a little further in detail than that, but my point being is that so long as the reader has some sort of idea of what is in the background, with room to build their imaginations around it, I would consider the setting fairly good.

One thing I hate, however, is when the setting is overdone as opposed to not very well established. I do not want to read twenty pages on how every room in the castle is described in minute detail down to the last teacup sitting by the candelabra in place of a jewelry box. At that point, I want to put the book down, because I picked it up for the story, not how extravagent the bedroom is, or how many pots and pans are in the kitchen. If I wanted that, I would pick up a furniture magazine.
I don't think anyone here is old enough to know one of the reasons why the original Star Wars movie worked on a visual level, but it's the same reason the Lord of the Rings movies worked.

They poured an insane amount of work into the background to build up a believable field -- the scruffed up look of the Falcon, the used and battered appearance of the tables and tools in the Shire -- and yet put no focus on them.

That's the cold, hard truth of worldbuilding, for any kind of Alternate Timeline, Fantasy, Science Fiction, etc. setting, if you're writing anything more involved and longer than a short story. You need to devote time into creating the world, the politics, the religion, the manner of dress and the climate and the towns, even if it's nothing more than a throwaway line of an overall impression of something (ex., "Cleburn was a day's hard ride away from Wesarbo, but not much worth visiting. No major trade came through, and the whole village seemed grimy and smelled vaguely of rotten food." wink

Then comes the hard part.

Ignoring all the work you just did.

I know how tempting it is to throw in all these little things to highlight how very brilliant and clever you are, but believe me, it is generally very obvious when a writer does that, and very annoying when it is obvious. Your cleverness is not the main character, and needs to go back to being the Invisible Man Behind The Curtain. If you do it right, your cleverness will not NEED you to point it out, because you are writing a world so rich and full and vivid and real that has a feeling of extending out far beyond the pages of the book that the reader will know it, without you beating them over the head with this fact.

It's hard to do hours and countless hours of figuring out the names and places and royalty and religious policies -- especially when you know the odds of the information ever making it into the book as anything more than a tossaway reference (if even that much at all!) -- and sit down to write and not at least nod to your work. It's hard to look at what you have to do and think it's at all important and wanting to sit down and flesh out a story... but you can't make something from nothing. Why is The Bad Guy considered Evil? Why does your character believe the way they do? Why is it Always Done This Way in that village? Why? Why? Why?

And why should you do that work when it may never even see the light of day beyond your notes? Because it gives you meat on your plot. It flavors it, seasons it, gives a reader something to really sink their teeth into, and it gives you more information to build up twists and secrets and discover new characters and things you hadn't thought of when you began to plan the basic plot.

This is especially important if you're writing Alternate History set in this world. What would happen if our world had been more steampunk, or if religion hadn't been such a strong developing influence over the centuries? What if Christianity died out by the tenth century? What sort of things would NOT have come to pass because of that? And what sort of things -- good and bad alike -- would have? Another religion would have stepped in to fill the gap, it's human nature. What would be the political differences? The social ones? You can't just say "oh, X religion never got big" and ignore the names and places and social customs and political policies and wars that shaped entire nations and empires over the centuries because of X religion, unfortunately.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. That's the reason why we have to worldbuild when we are writing in a place beyond our own. We have to find out where the actions are coming from in order to figure out the reaction it has on the story and plot, and what actions those reactions cause.

It seems thankless, but it makes all the difference when you hit 'print' for that final draft to ship it off to your agent.
Nightmare1
One thing I hate, however, is when the setting is overdone as opposed to not very well established. I do not want to read twenty pages on how every room in the castle is described in minute detail down to the last teacup sitting by the candelabra in place of a jewelry box. At that point, I want to put the book down, because I picked it up for the story, not how extravagent the bedroom is, or how many pots and pans are in the kitchen. If I wanted that, I would pick up a furniture magazine.

Well, when an amatuer author does this, I get the urge to pat them on the head and say "Good effort, but you seem to be getting setting mixed up with physical location."

Because I think that is one of the reasons setting gets ignored: A lot of people forget that in addition to time and place, the society and atmosphere are also a huge part of setting. These need to be shown, and in detail, because they are a lot more character and plot effecting than the number of teacups on the table in a Victorian tea (Unless the MC is hugely superstitious and scared out of her mind to notice that there are thirteen, but that probably goes back to atmosphere). I'd just rather not hear about it in the purple prose, please and thank you.

Kuchehexe: you said what I wanted to better than I did, which I can only thank you profusely for. Although I do think that thinking about setting in more detail than you'll ever need applies not just to speculative fiction. If you're writing about Chicago, it's a good idea to live there, visit there, or do more research on the history and layout than will ever make it into the story. If you're writing it in a thinly veiled version of your nameless town somewhere in the US . . . is it a small, religious community like the one I grew up in? Is it a pinprick on the midwestern plains? A suburb of a bigger city? It'll produce three completely different atmospheres, if not really three completely different casts of characters.

Cheers!
I'm an absolutely obsessive world builder! While my characters and plot end up being dominant once the story is a-rollin', I make sure that my setting is built to a high level of detail before I begin writing. I know not only what the physical location looks like, but what life is like in the place, which part of the location the characters grew up in and how this shaped their lives, what the technology is like and how this affects the story, and how history has unfolded up until the point the story starts.
Hmm..
This thread got me thinking a bit. smile
I always tend to loose a lot of the background due to my very spontaneous style of writing.
I'm getting better at it, but it's still very much a "white background" kind of thing. sweatdrop
I hold with those who think there should be a distiction between "Physical description" and "setting". I don't want to read pages and pages of purple prose about the glorious land somebody's created, or the thousands of cliches about places like New York*. I would rather see the setting embodied through the character, by how it affects their way of thinking, their daily habits, etc.

*Seriously, I have never read a story set in New York that didn't constantly reiterate all the things people know about it; pidgeons, homeless people, rude taxi drivers, etc. Which I guess kind of suggests that the writer never bothered going there or researching it, and just took the easy way out.
Jhesy

*Seriously, I have never read a story set in New York that didn't constantly reiterate all the things people know about it; pidgeons, homeless people, rude taxi drivers, etc. Which I guess kind of suggests that the writer never bothered going there or researching it, and just took the easy way out.

Because most amateur writers can’t afford to go to New York and do research. Professionals, I have no mercy for, but for the average kid who want to write, I’m lenient.

In world building… I’m not so obsessive about it. I borrow tons from known cultures/lands… mostly Asian ones, not because I’m anime-obsessed, but because I’m Asian myself and understand Asian and American culture tons better than everything else in the world… so yes, my setting needs work. I’ve basically slapped a European-type Medieval Japan, Alaskan-like Europe, America + cynicism (x5), and a Baptist-Christian Theocratic China on a board and called everything a different name.

I need to sit down and put stuff on a map… *takes out a piece of paper now…*
I love settings; they really make a story for me, along with the characters.
HDM has a setting which makes the story; the plot is good, the characters good but the setting is fantastic. A new world where the soul is visible and takes the form of an animal, witches with a prophercy, theories on dust etc

I agree with ignoring settings though- making them present but not upfront. At the moment part of my setting is based in my hometown simply because I know it best, I know its character etc and I think thats better then trying to make a town I've never visited seem real. Plus it fits in with the general theme of ordinary, my town is the very picture of ordinary and thats what I need. I may change it, I don't know- at the moment it fits in with the rest of the setting though.
I agree wholeheartedly about the word building - sometimes I find it so fun I forget to make a plot sweatdrop

But yeah, all the tiny little shadows and stuff really make the story! I just find it a little difficult to stop myself in time - let it make sence, but not be soaked in boredom.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff