Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do NOT pursue Lu Bu!

I pursued Lu Bu. 0.40853658536585 40.9% [ 67 ]
I did NOT pursue Lu Bu. 0.59146341463415 59.1% [ 97 ]
Total Votes:[ 164 ]
1 2 3 >

Please try to read the whole post, guys. I'll try to keep it entertaining.

I'm sure some of you have played Dynasty Warriors at some point. In case you haven't, it's a game set in ancient China and the wars between three kingdoms (Wu, Wei, and Shu) to conquer all of the land, restore the glory of the Han, what the ******** ever.

So in the game, you choose one of many characters, and they stick you on the battlefield and ask you to kill as many peons and generals as you can. Around the end of a level I usually end up killing anywhere from 300 to 600 characters. Depending on the level, you'll end up with around five to 20 generals, 20 being really rare and only in levels with those weak-a** generals all over the place. And those levels where the generals keep coming back like that ******** Nanman level with Meng Huo. I was playing that last night in Chaos with Jiang Wei who is barely maxed and the armor troops ******** raped me. It was awful.

Anyway. So 300-600 peons, 5-20 generals. Some of you may be thinking, Gee Triste, I don't think that sort of thing happens in real life. Despite what my brother would tell you ("Lu Bu is based off a real guy who killed thousands of people in battle!" "Uh..." wink it is probably a little unlikely that one guy with a sword will kill 600 people and five generals in one battle in real life.

But whatever. Dynasty Warriors is a game, and it's a really, raelly awesome game. But then I started thinking about it, and I realized how many fantasy authors fall into that same trap. You know, their character will slaughter enemy peons like there's no tomorrow, cut through them like they're cheese.

And then I realized that they make their characters such insane killing machines because they're unable to think of any other way to get them to have an impact on the world. They want their charcter to be important. They see what Tolkein did with Frodo and Aragorn and the Fellowship where he made a few people heroes like the world had never seen before. And they're going about it all wrong.

So here we have a rant, in the way limyaael does them, on how to avoid overpowering your characters, and how to make characters important without remaking Lu Bu.*

How to Avoid Overpowering Characters

1. Make a median, and don't stray too far from it. The idea of keeping your character from being overpowered is not necessarily to make that character realistic in terms of power. This is fantasy, after all. People can have magic on their sides, or other supernatural forces, and they might not be human. If it doesn't follow the same patterns as it does in the real world, however, it becomes very hard for us to believe.

Think for a moment about the hypothetical Average Soldier. He is average height and weight. He has an average amount of muscle mass for a soldier and can lift an average amount of weight for a soldier. He has an average amount of skill with a sword.

Now think about the hypothetical Really, Really Good Soldier. He is large and tall. He is muscular. He is fast. He is very skilled with a sword.

Now, ask yourself a couple of questions.

1. How many AS will RRGS be able to kill at once?
2. How much more of a beating will RRGS be able to take than AS?

I'm not an expert on this, so I might be wrong on details. But I'm not that far off. In a fight, one good fighter versus two average fighters will be hard on the good fighter. Three fighters versus one good fighter will be very hard, and the good fighter will almost certainly takes some hits. Once you get to four or five fighters, you start getting into borderline impossible territory. The chances that one very good fighter will be able to take out ten average fighters all attacking him at once is almost astronomical, and I'm talking about a fist fight here, where the fists have to wear the person down. In a sword fight, each hit does significantly more damaged. If the good fighter is going to get hit, it's probably going to cause some serious damage.

A lot of people figure, well, this is fantasy, so my character will be stronger than the average soldier is on earth. And maybe he will be. But he shouldn't be that much stronger than the average soldier on his planet, or the pattern breaks and the reader thinks, well ******** this. He's overpowered.

Think of it as a proportion. If you make the hypothetical RRGSD stronger, you have to also adjust the strength of the AS for it to make sense.

2. There doesn't have to be just one median. This is just a side note on the last point. Your character can be significantly more powerful that the average joe. In this case, though, you merely need to create another median.

So basically, you would take the average fighter/awesome fighter model and make it more specific, which would make a number of models. You could have the average male fighter versus the awesome male fighter, and the average female fighter versus the awesome female fighter. The average female is going to be physically weaker than the average man, and thus, the awesome female is almost certainly going to be weaker than the awesome man. Don't b***h at me - this is proven. The best male athletes do things better than the best female athletes.

In this case, you just move the median for your character. So maybe your character is in a group that is far above peons, but don't let him or her go about without being threatened by others who are at his level.

How to Make Your Character Important Without Making Him a Killing Maching.

1. Add a bit of randomness. Gavrilo Princip assassinated Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria, which sparked a conflict that lead Austria to declare war against Serbia, which started WWI, which lead to the Treaty of Versailles, which wrecked Germany, which made the people desperate enough to elect Adolph Hitler their leader, which lead to the wholesale slaughter of 12 million people and WWII.

All because of Gavrilo Princip.

Follow the ripples of your character's actions. See where they lead. The consequences of a person's actions are not always the ones you would expect.

2. Give him a brain. This is fairly obvious. If your character can't just swing his sword wildly and kill everyone, he'd better have a good instinct at the very least.

This involves having an actual battle strategy, of course. But it also is about knowing when it's better to sneak past the guards then to run up and fight them. It's also about knowing that sometimes the fortress you're trying to break into is just too big, just too much for you. It's about having a wall that you simply cannot climb, and knowing that you can't climb it. People see to have this strange idea that this is cowardice, though. rolleyes

3. Give him ideas. Ideas are the most powerful thing in our world. People die for them and kill for them. They have destroyed nations. They have created empires.

Visionaries are some of the most dangerous and powerful people on the planet. Take advantage of this.

They don't just have to be philosophical ideas either. What about people who have scientific ideas? What about a person who has a revolutionary new medicine? A revolutionary sterilization technique that makes for better surgery and medical care? What about a person with ideas about sanitation, a person who realizes that plagues can be slowed with things like sewage systems and not leaving s**t lying in the street? What about a person working on a new, more powerful kind of bow, or a better technique for making armor or steel? What about the person who invents guns?

The people who invented the atom bomb would probably get their asses kicked by a big guy with a sword, but nobody will remember him anyway.

4. Give them power, or put them behind people with power. I'm talking political power here. Sure, maybe you don't want you make your character the king or the lord. But you can put him at the king's side, if you want. People often think of advisors as evil. Advisors tend to be villains who tell their kings all the wrong things. But it doesn't have to be so.

This can also work in combination with the third point. A person with ideas can be much more effective if he is also a person in power, or if he has the ear of a person in power.

The thing about this point is that rebellious teens aren't going to do well with it. Anti-establishment types won't fit here. You have to be a bit of a politician even if you aren't, and again, people tend to think of this as a bad thing. You don't have to, people.

Anyway. I'm getting rather sick of writing at this point, and sick of thinking as well. If you disagree with anything or have any additional ideas, feel free to add them.

This rant stuff is harder than it looks. sweatdrop

* Do NOT pursue Lu Bu.
AHAHA I saw your comment on this on the Limyaael post.

Yes, rants are so much harder than they look.

You're correct about the two vs. one. Believe me, when my coach thought I was getting too cocky, he'd pit me wielding a naginata against two of the newbies who were also wielding naginata. I could win a lot of the time, but it was damn hard, and after the first battle I'd wind up making lots of mistakes.

I think the other thing to remember is a realistic portrayal of actual combat. There were no such thing as "Fighting styles" to the extent that they're portrayed by bad authors. Certain "schools" taught things certain ways, but not enough to completely define someone by how they fought (barring an extreme geographical difference, like the Germans versus the Italians). And recall that every single person will fight differently. That's part of the challenge of actually fighting someone. People learn, too.

A lot of it comes from portraying the opponents as being intelligent. People learn. If some guy sees you hack apart his minions on the battlefield (ignoring the logistics of him not just stabbing you in the ******** back), he'll be watching you carefully so he knows what you do.

Next time, you're dead meat.

Visionary characters are the most powerful ones out there.

I'd also like to read more fantasies about people with neutral powers, powers that don't kill people and aren't used for killing but are still useful.

Of course, a lot of this comes of a segmented view of the world- FIGHTING IS COOL SO IT IS THE ONLY THING THAT EXISTS. Nevermind who used to own the great field they're fighting on, nevermind who feeds the armies, nevermind who, exactly, they're backed by.

I'd also like to read a story about a kickass, ridiculously awesome fighter who has been practicing since he was nine... and is instantly pulled into court games. If you're that badass of a fighter, you must've worked at it to the detriment of things like knowing social skills or how the world works- it's like being a brilliant carver at the age of fifteen. Chances are that if you just aim to be good at what you do, you'll wind up forgetting about the complexities that happen when other people want you on their side.

And don't get me started about the number of "badass" characters who have 'instincts' about who is "good" and "morals" and s**t that they really don't show outside of choosing who to side with.
Veive
AHAHA I saw your comment on this on the Limyaael post.

Yes, rants are so much harder than they look.

You're correct about the two vs. one. Believe me, when my coach thought I was getting too cocky, he'd pit me wielding a naginata against two of the newbies who were also wielding naginata. I could win a lot of the time, but it was damn hard, and after the first battle I'd wind up making lots of mistakes.

I think the other thing to remember is a realistic portrayal of actual combat. There were no such thing as "Fighting styles" to the extent that they're portrayed by bad authors. Certain "schools" taught things certain ways, but not enough to completely define someone by how they fought (barring an extreme geographical difference, like the Germans versus the Italians). And recall that every single person will fight differently. That's part of the challenge of actually fighting someone. People learn, too.

A lot of it comes from portraying the opponents as being intelligent. People learn. If some guy sees you hack apart his minions on the battlefield (ignoring the logistics of him not just stabbing you in the ******** back), he'll be watching you carefully so he knows what you do.

Next time, you're dead meat.

Visionary characters are the most powerful ones out there.

I'd also like to read more fantasies about people with neutral powers, powers that don't kill people and aren't used for killing but are still useful.

Of course, a lot of this comes of a segmented view of the world- FIGHTING IS COOL SO IT IS THE ONLY THING THAT EXISTS. Nevermind who used to own the great field they're fighting on, nevermind who feeds the armies, nevermind who, exactly, they're backed by.

I'd also like to read a story about a kickass, ridiculously awesome fighter who has been practicing since he was nine... and is instantly pulled into court games. If you're that badass of a fighter, you must've worked at it to the detriment of things like knowing social skills or how the world works- it's like being a brilliant carver at the age of fifteen. Chances are that if you just aim to be good at what you do, you'll wind up forgetting about the complexities that happen when other people want you on their side.

And don't get me started about the number of "badass" characters who have 'instincts' about who is "good" and "morals" and s**t that they really don't show outside of choosing who to side with.

That you did. You just know that she'll have better insight than me, so what the hell, right?

And yeah, in my karate class, even the good kids have trouble against two people. Like you said, they might win, but they'll have a hell of a time with it.

That is an interesting concept, by the way. Making someone so focused on one thing that they lose themselves.
This is why I never liked superman. You can't get much more overpoered than that. he's invincible, he can fly, he has super strength, he can do pretty much anything. How can anything be a challenge to him?

Codger

Yay for someone posting some much needed sanity in here! *showers love and cookies on Triste!* heart heart heart heart heart

That said, people write the "OMG!!!11 twnty 2 wun!!1!! Mai charie's ossum and kix A$$!!!!!111 SLAshie slashie!!11! AHAHAHAHAHAH@@@@@" because they're 1.) incompetent RPers, 2.) too lazy to bother with actual characterization for a character like that, 3.) too lazy to do the research to make a character like that believable, or 4.) some combination of 1-3.

This is one reason I don't like Drizzt Do'Urden, or really any of RA Salvatore's warrior characters. Even assuming they are good enough to stand untouched under the assault of ten others or more, they will be exhausted by the effort, regardless of how fit they are. Now, if they have some sort of magical or technological aid, like a massive speed/reflex boost, then it's more reasonable, but this isn't used very often. In fact, I quite pointedly make this the case to explain why some of my characters are such good melee combatants, though I tend to avoid melee sorts of characters in fantasy simply because it's too easy and tempting to overpower them. Again, I cite Drizzt as the perfect example stare

Of course, when you bring magic into the mix, that adds a whole other level of complexity that most people ignore entirely. The mages on the opposing side are not going to ignore your uber-awesome warrior as he cuts through the cannon fodder soldiers while making a beeline straight for them. They are going to take that ******** down, they will do so as quickly as they possibly can, and there's not likely going to be much, if anything, the uber warrior can do to stop them. The only realistic, large scale battle I've read that had magic involved was in Tigana, and it was just as tiring on the mages to counter each other's magic as it was on those engaged in the actual melee fighting to fight each other.
You've got a really good point, Triste. Too bad I've never had any problems with that. Sure, once my MC goes up against someone with another guy, but they had to retreat because even though the person they were going up against wasn't a partucularly good fighter, she was a psychic and a lot of psychic stuff works like if you poke a certain part of the mind, you can make people do certain things... usually this is used a lot in hospitals, or to help out with seasickness, but it can also severely hinder someone's fighting if the psychic can hack into their minds fast enough. This has its limits, though, like you can only do it to one person at a time, etc.

I always thought the thing about superman would be that he wouldn't be able to think fast on his feet. Sure, he's got this superstrength and all, but how would he use it to avert a hurricaine? I know that's not the way it is, but I always thought that would be the way to balance it out.
You have to be careful about creating characters with political powers, depending on the degree of influance you give them. Believe it or not a king is the least likely person to go on a crusade, and a prince is even less likely. Without their royal blood there would be no one to run the country, so they can't risk themselves.
I suppose saving a lot of people from a natural disaster would be a challenge. And thinking about it, all of the superman shows I remember involved villains taking hostages, which can't really be conquered by brute strength. I still don't like the idea though.

Invisible Ghost

Awesome thread! Yes, it is very unrealistic to have one character to be any good against several. (Which is why I never put my characters up against several foes. They'd have their butts kicked! whee )

But the point about the ripple effect was interesting, and I have a story waiating to be written which involves a similar effect. I just never noticed it before now.

As for Superman - he had a weakness. Kryptonite. There just seems to be a hell of a lot of it here on Earth.
the hidden ghost
Awesome thread! Yes, it is very unrealistic to have one character to be any good against several. (Which is why I never put my characters up against several foes. They'd have their butts kicked! whee )

But the point about the ripple effect was interesting, and I have a story waiating to be written which involves a similar effect. I just never noticed it before now.

As for Superman - he had a weakness. Kryptonite. There just seems to be a hell of a lot of it here on Earth.

IMO, Kryptonite doesn't count because it's a combat weakness, not anything that's actually wrong with him. His archenemies use it, but most people don't.

But what makes Superman more realistic is that he's kind of not well-liked when he's just Clark Kent. Now, if Clark Kent were the guy everyone loved at the office who could get any girl he wanted, Superman would appeal to a lot less people- and not just because it loses the target "nerd" audience. It's unrealistic and boring.

...also, this is why I'm so addicted to Smallville because Lex Luthor is awesome.

Invisible Ghost

Veive
the hidden ghost

IMO, Kryptonite doesn't count because it's a combat weakness, not anything that's actually wrong with him. His archenemies use it, but most people don't.

But what makes Superman more realistic is that he's kind of not well-liked when he's just Clark Kent. Now, if Clark Kent were the guy everyone loved at the office who could get any girl he wanted, Superman would appeal to a lot less people- and not just because it loses the target "nerd" audience. It's unrealistic and boring.

...also, this is why I'm so addicted to Smallville because Lex Luthor is awesome.

My mistake. biggrin

But that's a good point about Clark Kent. I don't think I'd be able to stand him if Clark was loved by all.
Okay, going with the subject of powers characters have being useful for everyday life and jobs, what could the ability to shatter rigid materials and turn soft materials into jelly by singing or whistling possibly be used for? And don't say construction.

Questionable Cat

32,450 Points
  • Enemy of the Goat 25
  • Festive Eye 50
  • Tree's the Season 100
Soft materials to jelly? I don't know. Well, jelly could be used as insulation... <.< I'm sorry! My ideas are lame! crying
x_haphazard_x
Okay, going with the subject of powers characters have being useful for everyday life and jobs, what could the ability to shatter rigid materials and turn soft materials into jelly by singing or whistling possibly be used for? And don't say construction.

Depends on whether the jelly is edible. 3nodding
Triste-chan
And those levels where the generals keep coming back like that ******** Nanman level with Meng Huo. I was playing that last night in Chaos with Jiang Wei who is barely maxed and the armor troops ******** raped me. It was awful.

OH GOD I REMEMBER THAT BATTLE. gonk I had to call in a friend for backup, and we still each had over 2000 kills by the time it was all over.

Quote:
("Lu Bu is based off a real guy who killed thousands of people in battle!" "Uh..." wink

FALSE INDEED! The most anyone's ever mentioned killing in the novel is Zhao Zilong ("some fifty in all" wink , who made a run behind the enemy's lines and then back out the other side to rescue his lord Liu Bei's son - and even then, he wouldn't have killed near so many if he hadn't come upon Prime Minister Cao Mengde's swordbearer, who had wandered off somewhere in the process of Lord Mengde's forces routing Liu Bei's (the sword Zhao Yun took off the poor dumb b*****d was an extremely valuable and well-made one, said to have a blade that could cut through iron like mud).

Triste-chan
But whatever. Dynasty Warriors is a game, and it's a really, really awesome game.

QUOTED FOR ******** TRUTH.

Quote:
I'm not an expert on this, so I might be wrong on details. But I'm not that far off. In a fight, one good fighter versus two average fighters will be hard on the good fighter. Three fighters versus one good fighter will be very hard, and the good fighter will almost certainly takes some hits. Once you get to four or five fighters, you start getting into borderline impossible territory.

Quite possibly one of the most critical little details in the novel that wasn't carried over to the game was the fact that the generals were all on horseback. This was how they managed to do so much damage and not get bogged down in fights.
Also, it was often the case that the generals would fight several passes-at-arms before their troops joined in battle. The reason Lu Bu is a legend is not because he killed thousands of men (which he didn't), but because he took on Guan Yu, Zhang Fei (two of the best warriors of the era - their equals were few and far between; the only ones I can recall being named in the novel are Ma Chao, Zhao Zilong, Zhang Liao, and Zhang He), and Liu Bei (one of those above-mentioned average fighters) at the same time, and escaped without injury.

It's a damned impressive duel, actually. You should all read it.

Quote:
In this case, you just move the median for your character. So maybe your character is in a group that is far above peons, but don't let him or her go about without being threatened by others who are at his level.

Exactly. This is what I've done with certain characters of mine that are to some degree joined at the mind with weapons systems AIs - which makes them t3h |_|b4r 1337 - it may be equivalent to absolute power on some scales, but it's also not a unique power, and while my main character has more natural ability with it than most (as she wants it more than most, and is willing to sacrifice more of herself than most), there are still plenty who outclass her, including several others she deals with on an almost daily basis.

It's in her application of this power to the political arena that she shows more talent and innovation than those around her - and it's probably where I stand out as well, because a lot of amateurs really don't think through the political consequences of their character's martial might.

Quote:
1. Add a bit of randomness. Gavrilo Princip assassinated Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria, which sparked a conflict that lead Austria to declare war against Serbia, which started WWI, which lead to the Treaty of Versailles, which wrecked Germany, which made the people desperate enough to elect Adolph Hitler their leader, which lead to the wholesale slaughter of 12 million people and WWII.

All because of Gavrilo Princip.

Follow the ripples of your character's actions. See where they lead. The consequences of a person's actions are not always the ones you would expect.

The above will yield far cooler story ideas than any other method you could use. If you don't try it, you are a loser and a fool. I speak from experience.

Quote:
2. Give him a brain. This is fairly obvious. If your character can't just swing his sword wildly and kill everyone, he'd better have a good instinct at the very least.

This involves having an actual battle strategy, of course.

I think a good example to cite here is Zhang Fei. He may be extremely hotheaded, especially when he's been drinking, and he may be a kickass warrior, but what makes him cool is that he's also got a good grasp of strategy. It shows up on occasion earlier in the novel, but becomes clearer later on, after Zhuge Liang's had some influence on him - it's the reason why he's such a fearsome general. And it doesn't interfere with him being a hot-tempered manly-man (which, in fact, is what gets him killed; he's assassinated by his own subordinates after setting impossible deadlines and then beating his men when they let him know they're not going to meet them).

Quote:
Visionaries are some of the most dangerous and powerful people on the planet. Take advantage of this.

A word of caution, though: in matters such as this, there will be a temptation to make your characters always right. This is the voice of Satan speaking to you, trying to tempt you into literary ruin, and you must ignore him. The best course of action for certain sorts of visionaries (especially those preaching social reform, for example) is to make it ambiguous whether the ends they're pursuing would really and truly be in the best interests of the group they're supposed to benefit.
PTerry did it. I'm doing it. You can do it too.

Quote:
4. Give them power, or put them behind people with power. I'm talking political power here. Sure, maybe you don't want you make your character the king or the lord. But you can put him at the king's side, if you want. People often think of advisors as evil. Advisors tend to be villains who tell their kings all the wrong things. But it doesn't have to be so.

What about the advisors who are both "villains" and their country's salvation? I speak, of course, of Machiavellian figures - those like Prime Minister Cao Mengde, who I'd mentioned above. Mengde arrogates imperial power, puppeteering the emperor and keeping him well under his thumb - and the result of this is unrivaled (by the other parts of China at the time) peace and prosperity in the lands under Mengde's rule.

Actually, it's part of Mengde's appeal. He's deeply and ruthlessly honest, as well as the bravest of the era's political figures - who else would have the guts to usurp the throne because he'd do a better job of ruling than anyone else? Who else would have the guts to say, "Better I betray the world than let the world betray me"? Certainly not Liu Bei, who, though he tries to uphold proper virtues, is ultimately vain, shallow, and cowardly, lacking the resolve to take action because he's terrified of what the world will think of him - and certainly not the Sun clan, who'd rather mind their own business and try to pretend the rest of China doesn't exist, insofar as possible.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff