Welcome to Gaia! ::

Invisible Citizen

21,825 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Olympian 200
I realize that the cross is a symbol of medicine, but it is also obviously tied to Christianity. There are so many great items with a nurse theme that I love, but as a non-Christian I feel uncomfortable adorning my avie with crosses. Despite my love for it, I eventually sold my White Collar Nurse because my favorite poses, the arm poses, gave my avie sleeves with crosses on them. Please consider letting up on the use of the cross in these items.

im done fam's Princess

Nymph

as a christian, i've never considered a cross to be tied to religion - but i suppose everyone has their own preferences... honestly, i thought it was tied to the swiss flag...

edit: and i personally think the crosses look charming for medic outfits, it's more of a symbol of "hey i can heal you" than "love jesus or go to hell"

Krule Keke's Significant Otter

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
"Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

You do realize that it probably has no reference to religion, right? Specially on Gaia.

"Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wagh’nagl fhtagn."

Aged Codger

I'm athiest and it doesn't bother me one bit. The crosses used in items here aren't meant to be religious.

Tenacious Sage

You realize that a lot of cultures have crosses in them and they aren't Christian? Anyways, I believe the cross was tied down to the inverse of the Swiss flag since the founder of the Red Cross was Swiss or founded it in Switzerland. While I'm sure that the cross a thousand years before that involved Christianity, at this point it's kind of moot and the medical cross doesn't really hold any religious connotations sweatdrop

Commander in Chief

Calelith
"Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

You do realize that it probably has no reference to religion, right? Specially on Gaia.

"Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wagh’nagl fhtagn."
Did you know that if you tie 17 electric eels together they'd create enough electricty to power the town of Looneyville, Texas for 7.35 hours but only in Spring? It's a fact! Ok Bye!

Dapper Man-Lover

If the southern segment of the cross on the medical items was longer than the others, I could understand a Christian connection/symbolism argument, but not so much in this case.

If it helps, just associate it with the addition (+) symbol, as if to mean "increasing the quality and condition of one's personal health."

Perfect Saint

I think a beer mug would be a wonderful replacement. Yes? No? sad

Commander in Chief

Meguriuta
You realize that a lot of cultures have crosses in them and they aren't Christian? Anyways, I believe the cross was tied down to the inverse of the Swiss flag since the founder of the Red Cross was Swiss or founded it in Switzerland. While I'm sure that the cross a thousand years before that involved Christianity, at this point it's kind of moot and the medical cross doesn't really hold any religious connotations sweatdrop
Did you know that when it rains and I am outside I get wet? IT IS HARD TO BELIEVE BUT TRUE I SWEAR! Ok bye now, bye!

Aged Codger

Myrielle
I think a beer mug would be a wonderful replacement. Yes? No? sad

Beer heals all wounds? Love it!

Aged Fox

Those aren't crosses they are lower case t's. biggrin

Demonic Defender

16,350 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Firestarter 200
A lot of cult symbols have been used by various groups so calling the cross a christian symbol wouldn't be entirely correct.

The inverted cross for instance was a actual symbol of the christian belief once upon a time but now it has a different meaning. I think saint pauls church uses the inverted cross. Vikings whom were converted from Asatru to christianity would wear a inverted cross to show they were converted vikings. This was during christianization I think.
The pentagram was and is a pagan symbol but was also once a symbol for the catholic church.

For me personally,the crosses on items here just ruin the items that contain them completely.
I would personally love some Mjolnir pendants and various pagan,asatru,devil worship related,satanist and other symbols though on items. Just waiting for them to get off this cross train and branch out.
Cult symbols change a lot though so i'd just like the more well known ones related to the specific faiths curently. emotion_kirakira

Commander in Chief

IIwizardeigesII
A lot of cult symbols have been used by various groups so calling the cross a christian symbol wouldn't be entirely correct.

The inverted cross for instance was a actual symbol of the christian belief once upon a time but now it has a different meaning. I think saint pauls church uses the inverted cross. Vikings whom were converted from Asatru to christianity would wear a inverted cross to show they were converted vikings. This was during christianization I think.
The pentagram was and is a pagan symbol but was also once a symbol for the catholic church.

For me personally,the crosses on items here just ruin the items that contain them completely.
I would personally love some Mjolnir pendants and various pagan,asatru,devil worship related,satanist and other symbols though on items. Just waiting for them to get off this cross train and branch out.
Cult symbols change a lot though so i'd just like the more well known ones related to the specific faiths curently. emotion_kirakira
Today is my birthday and it is also April Fools and it is also a day that is not in March? Let's have cake! Bye bye!

Married Otaku

19,640 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
" Hey, it's me! Don't shoot! "

»»» The medical cross is shaped entirely different from a religious cross. I don't see the issue here, I think you're overreacting.

" I did everything you asked! "

Invisible Citizen

21,825 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Olympian 200
I have a lot of complicated feelings that are hard to put it down, but let me put it this way: despite the cross's supposed lack of tie to Christianity and its supposedly strong association with the medical profession, have you ever seen (or would you ever even think to see) a Jewish or Muslim Doctor or Nurse wearing a cross?

Why do you think that is?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces