Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Fairy

7,750 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
I think this feature should either be disabled or edited. I think it's a bit dumb for a dislike to equal -2 rather then just -1. It's like it adds insult to injury, not to mention you cannot change the option you choose after you pick it. I've known people to accidentally click dislike when they mean to hit like and vice-versa. I just ask that if this feature is kept that it should be fixed.
There's another thread like it on the same page, but repeat threads are allowed so . .

First off, I encourage you to sign this petition. It's not a petition to get rid of it so much as it is a petition to change it. There are different ideas of how it could be changed - my personal preference is to make it optional, but there are others.

Unfortunately, in posting this thread, you're going to be faced with a lot of dissent.

Fashionable Fairy

7,750 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
CleoSombra

I hadn't seen it before I posted, but thank you for the link to the petition.

Rainbow Borg

13,400 Points
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
No, when the feature was created I believe users asked for the </3 feature, and its biased to have only the option to like something.

Now i understand removing it in certain forums (Questions and assitance, &Life issues ) but there's no reason it should be removed or edited other than removal in those forums

Vicious Nerd

10,900 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Battle: Mage 100
I'm a little confused as to what you mean by a dislike being -2. Could you explain?

As for being able to change our votes, that would indeed be wonderful.
I Mei Chang I
No, when the feature was created I believe users asked for the </3 feature, and its biased to have only the option to like something.

Now i understand removing it in certain forums (Questions and assitance, &Life issues ) but there's no reason it should be removed or edited other than removal in those forums

If something clearly has enough of a negative impact that it should be removed from certain forums, than it clearly has a negative impact and is capable of making users uncomfortable. Why are people in LI and Q&A barred from from this negativity, but others are not? Is it because people in LI have already suffered enough - they don't need to anymore - but people in other forums could really use a bit more negativity?

Could you please show me the feedback thread for voting where people asked for the </3 feature? I'd really like to understand the context in its entirety. Or at least the name of the developer who implemented it, so I can find the thread myself?

Also, just because lots of people ask for things (i.e., banks with interest, changeable bases), doesn't mean Gaia should listen to them. ;o

Shirtless Powerhouse

CleoSombra
I Mei Chang I

If something clearly has enough of a negative impact that it should be removed from certain forums, than it clearly has a negative impact and is capable of making users uncomfortable. Why are people in LI and Q&A barred from from this negativity, but others are not? Is it because people in LI have already suffered enough - they don't need to anymore - but people in other forums could really use a bit more negativity?

Could you please show me the feedback thread for voting where people asked for the </3 feature? I'd really like to understand the context in its entirety. Or at least the name of the developer who implemented it?

Also, just because lots of people ask for things (i.e., banks with interest, changeable bases), doesn't mean Gaia should listen to them. ;o

Actually, there are studies suggesting that yes, people COULD use a bit more negativity these days. Especially kids.

I'd go look them up but I really don't care quite enough to go to all the trouble when I could go back to reading Small Gods instead.

Fashionable Fairy

7,750 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
I Mei Chang I

I just don't see why people feel the need to dislike / like in the first place. I can understand having
a choice to have this feature or not. I just find it discourages people in general.

Rainbow Borg

13,400 Points
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
CleoSombra
I Mei Chang I

Could you please show me the feedback thread for voting where people asked for the </3 feature? I'd really like to understand the context in its entirety. Or at least the name of the developer who implemented it?

But there is no negative impact ,and the only reason they should be removed from those forums is that they really have no point in being there. You don't downvote or upvote questions or people looking for assistance. and I don't know if the thread is still available for when users decided that, but I do remember them asking for it.

Exactly, and that's why they shouldn't listen to this. There has been no good reason other than users who cannot take criticism as to why it needs to be removed entirely. It would again be biased to just have a <3 feature.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Purenia
I Mei Chang I

I just don't see why people feel the need to dislike / like in the first place. I can understand having
a choice to have this feature or not. I just find it discourages people in general.

It allows lurkers to express their opinion without having to post. It cuts down on the number of repeat posts, as people who support or oppose something in a thread for the same reasons others have already posted can just use like/dislike. When it comes to feedback threads, it can show how popular (or unpopular) a suggestion is. If a user is in a thread with a particularly hostile OP (like, someone who screams, bitches, and swears at anyone who posts a negative opinion) it allows them to show their opposition without having to subject themselves to the crazy poster. If a user gets "discouraged" by a number, what do they do when a bunch of people post opposing opinions?

Rainbow Borg

13,400 Points
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Purenia
I Mei Chang I

we have always had this system , except it used to be thumbs up thumbs down. I see no discouragement in it , it allows people to express their opinion on something and if a number on the internet discourages people or really upsets them that's really their problem as it really should not matter.

Fashionable Fairy

7,750 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
Valheita

I should re-word that. It isn't -2 as I thought. I think that instead of taking one away from the total it should me more of a percentage.

For example: a thread that has 10 votes (1 dislike, 9 likes) it shouldn't say 8, it should say something more like 9/10 likes or something. I don't know. It just looks more negative the way it is or something I guess.

I'm glad you agree with the being able to change votes, though. : )

Tiny Shapeshifter

Valheita
I'm a little confused as to what you mean by a dislike being -2. Could you explain?

As for being able to change our votes, that would indeed be wonderful.
I think OP is misinformed on this bit. OP believes that hitting the </3 button would give you negative 2 points, rather than just 1.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Purenia
Valheita

I should re-word that. It isn't -2 as I thought. I think that instead of taking one away from the total it should me more of a percentage.

For example: a thread that has 10 votes (1 dislike, 9 likes) it shouldn't say 8, it should say something more like 9/10 likes or something. I don't know. It just looks more negative the way it is or something I guess.

It only looks negative when it has a lot of negative votes. If a person has one like out of ten votes, it'll say 1/10 likes, which is still a poor rating.

Vicious Nerd

10,900 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
Purenia

Hmm, it is a little strange at first glance. At the same time though, the exact numbers are shown when you hover over it so I dunno if it needs fixing.

I'm going to sit on the fence for that suggestion.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff