Welcome to Gaia! ::

Spectacular Pecan

31,775 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
First off thank you for taking the time to read my topic.
It is my opinion that this feature is not a necessity to Gaia. I feel that in many places it is even inappropriate, such as the lifestyle forum.
I believe that as users of the site we should be able to decide if we want the feature on our thread. Some people like it and want it available, so they should have it. Those of us who don't should not have to have it.
I disagree with it and feel it lends to trolling and negativity. And yes I am generally an if you can't say something nice then don't say anything person.
I feel like making it optional will maximize the experience on the site for all Gaians including those who are sensitive to criticism (who should not have to just toughen up.) The real world may be exceptionally harsh and negative, why should the Gaia experience be a mirror of that?

I realize there are many people who love this feature, and so be glad that your voice was heard and you have it. I hope that Gaia will take the time to listen to my voice, and the voice of other people who are petitioning for the change.
Thank you all again.

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
Nie Chan
it's cool to have a like the dislike thing is just a jerk move on your part Gaia.

Actually, Gaia was only going to have a like feature. But users asked for a dislike feature. And Gaia listened.

Spectacular Pecan

31,775 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Magical Girl 50
Lady Kayura

I sincerely doubt every user wanted it.. and if that is the case they should make it so you can disable it. Because not everyone wants that. If you don't like a thread don't post there. If the thread is abusive report it. It's simple.
At any rate thank you for responding. smile

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
Nie Chan

I sincerely doubt every user wanted it.. and if that is the case they should make it so you can disable it. Because not everyone wants that. If you don't like a thread don't post there. If the thread is abusive report it. It's simple.
At any rate thank you for responding. smile

Did I say every user?

No, I did not.

I'm simply pointing out the "jerk move" was requested by enough Gaians that Gaia listened.

As for having an option to disable it, I'm sure there'd be good times to have it disabled. Honestly I don't care either way if Gaia makes it optional or not. I, however, don't like your reasoning "don't like a thread don't post there" reasoning. There are reasons to post in a thread when you disagree with the OP.

Intellectual Sex Symbol

Having the like and dislike is a good thing to have. especial as an Artest it is a good way to get get feedback. I am glad gaia lissened when users wanted it

Spectacular Pecan

31,775 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Magical Girl 50
Lady Kayura
I can appreciate that you don't care but I do. Just like those other people wanted it, I do not. The reason that I said "not all" is because I feel like my point of view should matter as well. If the masses want something does that mean the minority should have no voice. And how many people wanted it? Was there a user poll? I wonder what the criteria were for it being added. And why I had no chance to speak out against it.
It is your prerogative to post somewhere that says something that you do not agree with. It is your prerogative to dislike something.
I come to Gaia to have fun and meet people and chat. I don't care if random person a likes my friend's thread or mine. It's the same reason that facebook only has a like button. The dislike button only allows people to add negativity, and while somethings trully should be disliked it only detracts from Gaia does not add.

Spectacular Pecan

31,775 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Magical Girl 50
Jekkceo
Having the like and dislike is a good thing to have. especial as an Artest it is a good way to get get feedback. I am glad gaia lissened when users wanted it
A click of a dislike is not feedback. It gives the artist no reasoning for why it was clicked. Only a negative feeling about something they worked hard on.
I agree that it sucks, but unfortunately, many users feel it's important to be able to assert their opinions in ways that don't demand them to justify or even fully develop said opinions.

Have you signed this petition?

It's not a petition for removal so much as it is a petition for change. I'd personally prefer to make voting optional by the thread owner, as polls are optional, but there are different suggestions floating around.

Spectacular Pecan

31,775 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Magical Girl 50
I just did. I am glad that there are other people who think that it is being abused as well.
I couldn't agree more.. it should be optional!

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
Nie Chan
I can appreciate that you don't care but I do. Just like those other people wanted it, I do not. The reason that I said "not all" is because I feel like my point of view should matter as well. If the masses want something does that mean the minority should have no voice. And how many people wanted it? Was there a user poll? I wonder what the criteria were for it being added. And why I had no chance to speak out against it.
It is your prerogative to post somewhere that says something that you do not agree with. It is your prerogative to dislike something.
I come to Gaia to have fun and meet people and chat. I don't care if random person a likes my friend's thread or mine. It's the same reason that facebook only has a like button. The dislike button only allows people to add negativity, and while somethings trully should be disliked it only detracts from Gaia does not add.

You are right, you can and clearly are making your voice heard. And that brings up a counter to the "if you don't like the thread, don't post" suggestion. I don't like this thread's suggestion and yet I am posting. Why? Because while I can </3 your thread, I can also post and explain why making my voice heard too. ^^

Was there a user poll? Don't remember. I'm sure if you really search though, you can find the suggestion threads related to the feature. As for not having a chance to speak out against it, if you didn't frequent the feedback forums when Gaia was gathering info, you likely missed the thread where you could voice what you wanted. However, since the thread was open to anyone on Gaia to post, I think it isn't Gaia's problem if you didn't make your voice heard.

Ah, Facebook. If I'm recalling correctly, users didn't want the site to mirror FB and only have the like feature. Some users don't want Gaia to appear like FB. Other users use FB and saw the ability to only like something as a shortcoming.

And while you feel the </3 feature detracts from Gaia, I think it adds to it. But how do we debate opinions?

Magical Girl

35,050 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Tested Practitioner 250
Nie Chan
I think this feature can be pretty obnoxious as well as hurtful to the people that made a thread. For example an artist who works hard on their art does not want to see a bunch of negative marks on their like/dislike bar.. I know someone who is really talented who closed her shop because several people disliked her shop and really for no apparent reason. Some people might want to be rated.. but I know I personally don't want that available on my threads. The people who are gonna post there like it.. the ones who don't don't.
It's rude and pointless.. it's cool to have a like the dislike thing is just a jerk move on your part Gaia.

I for one like that we can dislike threads. I don't see how it's rude. Most people don't down vote a thread for no reason. Yes some are trolls and down vote for fun but not everyone does it. And your friend may have been talented to you but her art work may not have been all that good to someone else. So they down voted for that reason. Or her prices where to high. If your friend closed her shop just because some people didn't like her art well that's her own fault. No one made her close it down.

As for the down vote feature being 'rude and pointless' I would have to disagree. I love the down vote feature. I can't tell you how many times it's made it easier to not get trolled myself for not liking someone's thread. I hated back when we could only ‘like’ a thread. It made everything biased.

I down voted your thread for this reason.

And word of advice, (not trying to sound rude but) if you can’t handle criticism, then you really shouldn’t be on the internet.

Fashionable Gaian

10,750 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Citizen 200

JUST seven? sweatdrop

People have different taste in art. As an artist you are definitely opened to verbal critique. I usually don't take </3's seriously enough for me to close my shop.

Plus, some people (I've been guilty of it myself) accidentally hit the </3 instead of the <3 at times. And I'm like...
classified_fu

Fuuuuuuu----

Though I do think certain forums <3 and </3's don't really need to be at. (Example: Life Discussions, Life Issues, Q&A, Welcome to Gaia, Friends Chat...) I click <3 if I agree or </3 if I disagree. I like the feature. Usually in most threads it's because everyone said pretty much the same thing, so I don't want to beat a dead horse so to speak. Like here. I merely </3 because I don't really agree here.

Spectacular Pecan

31,775 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Magical Girl 50
Lady Kayura

You are right, you can and clearly are making your voice heard. And that brings up a counter to the "if you don't like the thread, don't post" suggestion. I don't like this thread's suggestion and yet I am posting. Why? Because while I can </3 your thread, I can also post and explain why making my voice heard too. ^^

Was there a user poll? Don't remember. I'm sure if you really search though, you can find the suggestion threads related to the feature. As for not having a chance to speak out against it, if you didn't frequent the feedback forums when Gaia was gathering info, you likely missed the thread where you could voice what you wanted. However, since the thread was open to anyone on Gaia to post, I think it isn't Gaia's problem if you didn't make your voice heard.

Ah, Facebook. If I'm recalling correctly, users didn't want the site to mirror FB and only have the like feature. Some users don't want Gaia to appear like FB. Other users use FB and saw the ability to only like something as a shortcoming.

And while you feel the </3 feature detracts from Gaia, I think it adds to it. But how do we debate opinions?

Well I suppose it is my fault for not having the time to go to the feedback forums and being a regular contributor. I will concede that there are likely many pages asking for them and many other things I undoubtedly would dislike. But just like sparkles on my special inventory items, I feel I should be able to disable the dislike feature. And since you like it, then you don't disable it. And then everyone is happy. And then if you cannot dislike a thread that you feel the need to comment on, post your dislike of it there. I feel like the dislike button is used in many cases as a form trolling. I do not see the need for people to be negative and spread more negativity than is already in this world. I don't want the place I come to have fun to be a mirror of the bad aspects of the world we live in. There is no need to be mean to other people, and really what other reason is there to click that button. It offers no feedback, gives no explanation, doesn't even allow the person to know who it was. If your need to voice your opinion is so great then why does it not allow the person to see who posted it?
I also don't want Gaia to become facebook but at least on facebook to an extent unless you are a lying weirdo who makes fake accounts it requires accountability. I feel like the dislike button is like a group of gossipy kids who say everything behind your back and not to your face,

Dangerous Visionary

I agree and I think it should be removed from the life issue forum altogether.

Spectacular Pecan

31,775 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Magical Girl 50
phoebe-chan
I appreciate your opinion and feedback. However some of what you said deeply concerns me... Mostly that because she and I don't agree with the whole down voting thing that you agree with that we should not be on the internet? I did not know we had to accept and embrace being treated rudely.
It's great that you enjoy the feature but those of us who don't should not have to endure it. We also should not have to "toughen up" because other people abuse the anonymity of the internet. When I don't like someone or something I tell them directly and include a reason for it. I do not hide behind a button that allows me to be mean without fear of my identity being known.
I can handle criticism just fine. But just because my friend can't doesn't mean she shouldn't be on the internet. And I am appalled that your response would be that she should change and not the people that are being negative towards her.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff