Welcome to Gaia! ::

Is this a better idea than just flipping tables?

It's good enough 0.51515151515152 51.5% [ 17 ]
No, flipping tables is much more fun! 0.24242424242424 24.2% [ 8 ]
You don't get a gold option b/c inflation is already high enough :c 0.24242424242424 24.2% [ 8 ]
Total Votes:[ 33 ]

So, a lot of people in SF are hating on the constant stream of BUY THIS!!!!1!! that we are getting through the announcements. Since the glitch that allowed us to ignore NPCs has been fixed, we need a new way to weed among the useful announcements and the sale announcements.

Open spoiler for rant.
No gaia, the sale announcements are not useful. We understand that you want to get the information in our faces as fast as possible, but that does not make them effective.

Imagine that you walk past a store. Imagine that as you do so, some maniac throw the door to the store open, rush up against you and press a flyer into you face while screaming hysterically that this is a one-day only deal.

That hysterical maniac is you right now gaia. Take a chill-pill before you start foaming at the mouth please.

This is the fix I'm suggesting
Open spoiler for magnificent brilliance.
Make a permanent "sale page". This page could be updated whenever you add new items for us to buy. Here you could place sale schedules, announce discounts and generally include whatever it is you write in the sale announcements.

I imagine it would look similar to the Monthly Collectible page. Possibly with dressing room functions so that we don't have to go to the cash shop to try the items on but instead immediately can check out how pretty the pixels are. (I imagine this would up your sales - surely I'm no the only one turned off by having to load the cash shop just to try on an item?)

Once a week (no more!) you can send out an announcement reminding us to check the sale page. That way you won't clog up the announcements too much. Trust me on this, I got the inspiration from the local lidl store. They change their stock constantly, so you'll never know if they have sweaters or sneakers in if you don't check their newsletter. The newsletter is sent out on a weekly basis and thus I can plan my weekly shopping instead of waiting for someone to manhandle me with a flyer.

For those who really want to be on their toes and catch the discounts there could be a subscription feature so that they'd be notified when something new happens on the sale page. Since aforementioned subscription would instantly notify those who are interested it ought to be more effective than spamming our main pages with flash advertisements that take up the whole screen on some devices and utterly ruin the experience for many users.

Other suggestions in this thread collected up here so you don't have to read the rest of the thread look for them.
You know the drill by now
Don't make a completely new page.
Make a thread similar to staff notices and have it reserved for sale-spam. No dressing room option, but admittedly it sounds like a much easier set-up, as the staff would just have to make a new post when there's new items coming in (or new old items, as it so often is). Sounds less flashy to me, but sometimes flash has to give way to function.

Only announce the sales that rarely happen
Monthly Collectibles, holiday sales, and other big things. This makes it more special. No daily sale announcements.
(OP takes the time to point out that in this scenario a schedule would be good to have on hand so that we can still see when what is on sale every day of the week - and a schedule could be somewhat tricky to keep in a thread where no one is likely to check the first post)

More on the schedule idea
Quote:
A sales page would be nice, I'd mostly like some sort of google calendar system that shows upcoming sales that gets updated regularly (with links to the MP for the items)

Short and sweet so I just copied the idea straight of and marked the link suggestion because yes, I would love that so very much. I would quite possibly love the google calendar knock-off too, but I would't know since I've never used google calendar. Marketplace links is something I have wanted a long time in announcements.

Threads of similar content
If you don't want to post in my thread, post in one of these.
Suggestion: Opt-Out GC Announcements. Consolidated GC Page

13,550 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Hero 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
kiitokseni paholainen
With two votes in favour of table-flipping I decided to bring my own table :]

This solution isn't something that could be pulled over night though. It would require a whole new page to be done and it would have to be continuously updated which may or may not be a complicated ordeal. I have no idea how that kind of thing works, but worst case scenario there'll be only one developer who knows how to work the code and then that dev leaves or is laid off and then we have the usual issue.

Alternatively, could this be set up in a way similar to the staff notices? Both staff notices and and announcements are based on ordinary threads, so you'd get the optional instant notifications like with staff alerts, as well as ease of use - you could put just as many fancy pictures in as you could in the announcements.

The downside would of course be that we don't get a special page with dressing room option, but I think I could live without that.

They could easily pop the flash sales into a thread that people could subscribe to (or not), they had them in Staff Alerts before.

It would be much less annoying if we only got the big holiday sales, actual site updates, MCs, etc.

Moonlight Sweetheart

52,925 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Coloring Champion 0
  • Snowball Sharpshooter 50
I'd love a separate dev thread alert just for gc announcements.

A sales page would be nice, I'd mostly like some sort of google calendar system that shows upcoming sales that gets updated regularly (with links to the MP for the items). I'd probably fall behind on this one without the dev alert though.

13,550 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Hero 100
dreamsk

A sales page would be nice, I'd mostly like some sort of google calendar system that shows upcoming sales that gets updated regularly (with links to the MP for the items). I'd probably fall behind on this one without the dev alert though.

They already release sale calendars (Halloween), so it's not like they'd have to make a brand new system, just less announcements. mrgreen

Moonlight Sweetheart

52,925 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Coloring Champion 0
Nova0437
dreamsk

They already release sale calendars (Halloween), so it's not like they'd have to make a brand new system, just less announcements. mrgreen
evil Google calendars are more interactive than static images.

13,550 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Hero 100
dreamsk
Nova0437
dreamsk

But do you think Gaia would make something like that?

Moonlight Sweetheart

52,925 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Coloring Champion 0
Nova0437
dreamsk
Nova0437
dreamsk

But do you think Gaia would make something like that?
It would be easier to update/maintain than images. If it's easier in the long run they may go for it.

Romantic Cheerleader

19,200 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
I have another solution. Never click on an advertiseme....errr, how silly of me.... ANNOUNCEMENT ever again, and just let them accumulate the top 10.

13,550 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Hero 100
Bumping because we got a separate page for BFS.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff