Welcome to Gaia! ::

Adventuring Abductee

I was thinking it would be interesting for people to take a small survey to let other people know what kind of roleplays they like and so roleplay creators can know what people want in roleplays.
On multiple choice sections, please make it clear which ones are chosen. If you notice any spelling or grammatical errors, feel free to point it out, I tend to think faster than I type.

1. What's your favorite genre ?
([i][size=9]up to 10, with your favourite being 1[/size][/i])

2. What makes a good roleplay ?
([i][size=9]what makes you want to join one ?[/size][/i])

3. What do you like to have incorporated into the roleplay?
([i][size=9]be it rules, story points, being in depth, etc.[/size][/i])

4. What makes or breaks a roleplay for you ?
([i][size=9]Some things that make a roleplay bad or turn you off from a good one[/size][/i])

5. What age range do you usually roleplay as ?
([i][size=9]Not level of how dirty it is, just the ages of the characters you roleplay as[/size][/i])
- Highschool aged
- College aged
- Older adult age

6. Which do you prefer ?
- No OOC
- Forum based OOC
- Skype OOC
- Gaia chatroom OOC
- Chatzy OOC
- Emails
- Other:

7. Do you prefer to roleplay
- In gaia forums
- Over PM
- Via an IM chat ( skype, kik, etc. )
- Other:

8. What literacy do you prefer ?
- Lazy lit ( usually txt type and ** for actions )
- Semi Lit ( Usually 1-3 paragraphs )
- Lit ( Usually a minimum of 3 paragraphs with the occasional grammer mistake. )
- Advanced Lit ( Usually a minimum of 5 paragraphs with hardly any mistakes )

9. Would you rather join
- A fast pace rp ( multiple posts a day )
- A medium rp ( at least once a week but pretty chill )
- A slow pace rp ( one every couple of weeks to a month )

10. What are some common pet peeves you have ?
([i][size=9]for example, when they harass you for hours when it's your turn to post[/size][/i])

11. For groups sizes do you prefer
- 1x1
- Small group ( 3-10 people )
- Large group ( 10 or more )

12. How long do you typically stick to a roleplay ?
- A week max
- A month max
- Until the story is done
- Until it dies off

13. How long have you been roleplaying ?
([i][size=9]In general, not just on gaia[/size][/i])
- ( place here )

14. Anything extra I didn't cover that I should add to the survey ?

15. What did you think of the survey ?
( not mandatory to answer )

High-functioning Lunatic

Horror
Romance
Modern supernatural fantasy
Wild West
Sci-fi

For the most part, a solid plot in a small/relatively small group. Alongside of that, I yearn for people who know how to toy with words; paint me a picture using just those, because no matter how pretty the graphics on the side, it won't sum up to that.

Sometimes, and only sometimes it is entertaining to have the creator set up certain plot points and twists; give a little taste of the environment around the person writing their character.

From a good one, I turn away from if:
* There are pre-made pairings or personality forms I'm supposed to fit my character into - sorry, but no. I decide what I want to write, not you.
* Mindless rules - I have read your thread, I don't need no 'passwords' to send out a profile.
* Profiles detailed to the point where I will need to think of how often my character clips their toenails - total turn-off. Less is better, guys. Aim for that. An outline is all fine and dandy but it won't help if it slams the writer into a box.
* Demand to post at a certain time interval - I am an adult, I have a life, I don't get to prance away from that because you want to read how many toe clippings my character had.
* Set demand for post size - oh no you don't. Quality over quantity, at all times. It is understandable to write more than a sentence but I won't hit some 4000 word limit for you.
* Demand for pretty posts - again, no you don't get to insist that I put an extra hour or what not behind making a pretty coded post just for you. It is cumbersome and pointless.

Twenty to... whatever. College to older adults.
- Highschool aged
- College aged
- Older adult age

6. Which do you prefer ?
- No OOC
- Forum based OOC
- Skype OOC
- Forum AND Skype OOC

* let's add Hangouts/emails to this list. To hell with the Discord you kids are using these days. Let's stick to things everybody uses.

7. Anything extra I didn't cover that I should add to the survey ?

See above. Skype isn't as hip and pop as you might think. Hangouts/emails/Google/even Gaia chatrooms are a thing.

Perhaps attitude towards grammar; towards post length, literacy issues, graphics, make your pick.

8. What did you think of the survey ?

I think it's a good idea to come and ask. All the praise to you for that! Thank you!

Adventuring Abductee

Primae Pandora

Horror
Romance
Wild West
Sci-fi

For the most part, a solid plot in a small/relatively small group. Alongside of that, I yearn for people who know how to toy with words; paint me a picture using just those, because no matter how pretty the graphics on the side, it won't sum up to that.

Sometimes, and only sometimes it is entertaining to have the creator set up certain plot points and twists; give a little taste of the environment around the person writing their character.

* There are pre-made pairings or personality forms I'm supposed to fit my character into - sorry, but no. I decide what I want to write, not you.
* Mindless rules - I have read your thread, I don't need no 'passwords' to send out a profile.
* Profiles detailed to the point where I will need to think of how often my character clips their toenails - total turn-off. Less is better, guys. Aim for that. An outline is all fine and dandy but it won't help if it slams the writer into a box.
* Demand to post at a certain time interval - I am an adult, I have a life, I don't get to prance away from that because you want to read how many toe clippings my character had.
* Set demand for post size - oh no you don't. Quality over quantity, at all times. It is understandable to write more than a sentence but I won't hit some 4000 word limit for you.
* Demand for pretty posts - again, no you don't get to insist that I put an extra hour or what not behind making a pretty coded post just for you. It is cumbersome and pointless.

- Highschool aged
- College aged
- Older adult age

6. Which do you prefer ?
- No OOC
- Forum based OOC
- Skype OOC
- Forum AND Skype OOC

* let's add Hangouts/emails to this list. To hell with the Discord you kids are using these days. Let's stick to things everybody uses.

See above. Skype isn't as hip and pop as you might think. Hangouts/emails/Google/even Gaia chatrooms are a thing.

Perhaps attitude towards grammar; towards post length, literacy issues, graphics, make your pick.

I think it's a good idea to come and ask. All the praise to you for that! Thank you!

Thank you for your feedback ! I'll be sure to update the survey

High-functioning Lunatic

Chobitches
Primae Pandora

Horror
Romance
Wild West
Sci-fi

- Highschool aged
- College aged
- Older adult age

6. Which do you prefer ?
- No OOC
- Forum based OOC
- Skype OOC
- Forum AND Skype OOC

Thank you for your feedback ! I'll be sure to update the survey

Superb! I wish you all the luck with this, any many more replies to come! : )

Cat

Based on the roleplays I've joined in the past:

- Adventure
- Fantasy
- Science fiction
- Horror
- Mystery
- Superhero/supervillain? Is this a genre? Probably not

- A solid setting with a motive (pre-made missions/goals)
    ~ 'go to X'
    ~ team-based
- Mini-events
- Making sure people aren't ignored, comfortable social environment

- Story points
- Basic locations
- Pre-made roles are 50/50 depending on how free they are

- If it seems like fun (?). As in, it feels like you're playing a well-developed video game, but with words
- Reliability
- Continuous flow of ideas to encourage creativity
- The rules section (how stiff/open everything is)

- Highschool aged
- College aged
- Older adult age

I'm open to playing any range, but I usually go for older adults or characters in their late 20s

6. Which do you prefer ?
- No OOC
- Forum based OOC
- Skype OOC
- Forum AND Skype OOC

Sometimes I'll join public Discord servers, but that feels a lot more closed-off and exclusive

Maybe stuff like availability, roleplaying mediums (threads, PMs, etc.), canon/non-canon settings and characters, male/female character preferences, graphic preferences

In roleplaying terms, a solid literate since it seems to cover enough to respond to. Length usually isn't an issue though and builds up naturally over time. Something could start off with one paragraph and expand into more or fluctuate depending on the situation. I usually make typos at least once, but I go back to proof-read it and fix it afterwards

9. What did you think of the survey ?
It's interesting. I hope more people fill it out, because there are so many threads that fall off the face of the earth. I sort of wish there was a pinned thread somewhere

Melaeryn's Significant Otter

Hopeless Dragon

39,925 Points
  • Dragon Master 50
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Worthy Challenger 25
I don't really have a set list by genre but moreso if it has the following elements:
- Fantasy / powers / something more than just real life to spice it up. Doesn't matter the time period or location.
- A plot that engages the characters in challenge (both physical and personal)

Note: I typically create more than I join but I personally feel like the two are similar.
- Organization: I don't mean stifling rules but I mean a well thought out RP premise that allows all characters (not just the "chosen ones" of the plot) to be engaged and affect the outcome of events. This also pertains to keeping a structured world where there are rules to magic, powers, and nonhuman races. It can be painful sometimes to see an "everything goes" roleplay in a serious setting where there's no reason as to why someone can have X ability or be some crazy mishmash of races. Not saying that can't be fun, but good story and world building means establishing what can / can't happen in the world.
- An active OOC: the roleplays that last the longest seem to be ones where members communicate ideas and even everyday chatter. I've had roleplays go for 3+ years and made good friends with the people even if the roleplay died. You don't have to be by friends with everyone, but just talking and being open to ideas really opens up the doors to making the roleplay grow.
- Active owner / mods: I'm sure we all get annoyed if we have members who aren't active for various reasons, but one thing that really hurts is an inactive leader or mods. They're the people who should be poking people to post, urging people to plot, and thinking up ways to keep people involved. Mind they can't do everything and even the best creators / mods can't force people to post or plot, but nothing kills a roleplay faster than if the leader isn't there or seems to care.
- An open plot with some direction: I personally like plots that develop the world and set the stage for a greater plot, arc, whatever you'd like to call it to be activated later in the roleplay. That plot shouldn't be the only thing in the RP nor should you be stuck on what to do after it happens. A good plot allows individuals to make their own smaller plots and include their characters into the story, even if they may not be powerful beings or the "chosen ones".

Similar to above: thought out worlds, active players and creators, well thought out characters.

- Inactive members and uncaring creators
- No set guidelines for powers, races, and the like.
- No plot progression
- Posts where either nothing happens or people who write long fluffy posts that don't move the plot along, offer nothing to respond to, and that at the end really was just the person roleplaying with themselves.
- Similarly to the last point, a group roleplay where the creator only interacts with their close friends / cocreator / mods. It just makes people feel left out.

5. What age range do you usually roleplay as?
I've done pretty much everything.
- Highschool aged
- College aged
- Older adult age

6. Which do you prefer ?
- Forum based OOC
- Skype OOC
- Discord

I've tried a bunch and had mixed feelings. If my group is full then I've made Skype or discord chats since I'm not actively looking. Forum ooc has always served well. I'm not against any off Gaia chats so as long as:
- most of the RP members agree to use it
- anything that affects the whole of the rp is put on the forum ooc with everyone quoted. I e bad times where in other RPs things were mentioned (like a timeskip or important plot point) in a large chat. I wasn't there at the time and came back to find the roleplay had moved onto a different location with (apparently) no warning. Since the OOC is all about communication, make sure everyone can use it or be sure to put those important points out where others can see them.

As far as off Gaia preference I'll admit I do like discord since you can summon people easily with @ and have different chat channels for chatter, plotting, etc.

Hmmm good question. Maybe you could ask people more info such as how long they've been roleplaying, what's the longest group rp they've been in or managed, etc. just to get an idea of experiences? Other than that it's pretty spot on for things to talk about.

- Lit ( Usually a minimum of 3 paragraphs with the occasional grammer mistake. )
- Advanced Lit ( Usually a minimum of 5 paragraphs with hardly any mistakes )

I typically make my roleplays open to lit through adv lit. I find it helps people improve in a comfortable, exciting environment. We've all started somewhere and so as long as the person comes in with good ideas and creativity, why stop them if they're on that lit to adv borderline?

9. What did you think of the survey ?
It is pretty neat to get these thoughts out there and see what others think!

Adventuring Abductee

A gentle bump~

Adventuring Abductee

Gentle Bump

Fashionable Vampire

10,125 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
(Fantasy, Medieval, Kingdom/Royalty, Vampires/Supernatural)

(A well constructed Plot and concepts, Interesting Roles)

(Lore and World Building.)

(Poor Management and Roleplayers who behave in a negative manner.)

(Not level of how dirty it is, just the ages of the characters you roleplay as)

- College aged

6. Which do you prefer ?

- Skype OOC

- Other: Discord

- In gaia forums

9. Would you rather join

(for example, when they harass you for hours when it's your turn to post)

-pre-determined Romances

- Until it dies off

(In general, not just on gaia)
- Six years

N/A

An interesting concept.

Sweet Pyromaniac

User ImageEYESWATCHING
      a l w a y s tab p l o t t i n g ▃ ▃ ▃ ▃ ▃ ▃ ▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Fantasy
                          • Magical Girl
                          • Dark fantasy
                          • Medieval fantasy

Science Fiction
                          • Suck in a MMO [would this fall under a fantasy umbrella as well?]
                          • Dystopian fiction
                          • Cyberpunk
                          • Apocalyptic fiction
                          • Post-apocalyptic fiction

Series Related
                          • Soul Eater
                          • Pokemon

(I know it shouldn't be a thing, but how they look really weighs heavily on whether I join or not. That doesn't mean that a good looking roleplay equals a good roleplay. For me good would be an rp designed in a way that makes it easy for members to jump in and have smooth character interactions.)

(I like long term roleplays with open and communicative roleplayers. I also prefer small group roleplays over large ones. First thing I look is for the activity rule in a rp due to my busy schedule.)

(If it doesn't look pleasing image/code wise, and if they expect a lot of activity.)

(I like to vary, playing from toddlers to golden year citizens, but mainly I play characters in their twenties.)

6. Which do you prefer ?
                          - Forum based OOC
                          - Other: Discord

- In gaia forums
                          - Other: Jcink and Proboard forums

9. Would you rather join

(No communication. People just disappearing without a word (and then I catch them roleplaying somewhere else))

- Until it dies off

(Thirteen years)

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃ ▃ ▃ ▃ ▃ ▃

RequiemSyn's Queen

7,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
(up to 10, with your favourite being 1)
-Romance
-Fantasy
-Scifi
-Drama

(what makes you want to join one ?)
-Details. I like it when I can tell that the other person is into the story we are making together.

(be it rules, story points, being in depth, etc.)
- I do actually have a few rules on my profile, Like i said if i can tell your into it it makes it all the better, I love the little details.

(Some things that make a roleplay bad or turn you off from a good one)
-Text talk is a no
- Gore is a no
-Deatails are love

(Not level of how dirty it is, just the ages of the characters you roleplay as)

- Older adult age : 20/700

6. Which do you prefer ?
- Other:Gaia pm using //00C

- Over PM
- Via an IM chat ( skype, kik, etc. )

9. Would you rather join

(for example, when they harass you for hours when it's your turn to post)
-No text talk
-No one liners

- 1x1

- Until it dies off

(In general, not just on gaia)
- 15+ years

Nah your good

I liked it quite a bit. Thank you.
Btw Lazy Lit nowadays is more like 5+ paragraphs on here

Adventuring Abductee

Adventuring Abductee

Adventuring Abductee

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash