Welcome to Gaia! ::

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
black_wing_angel
darkz2005
Aight, guys. Probably enough on this topic. s**t happened. We can't change it.

I agree. The fact is, she committed a crime. Whether it was intentional or not, is actually irrelevant. If I accidentally run somebody over with my car, and it's because of my own negligent behavior...well...the fact that I didn't mean to, is almost entirely irrelevant.

Kevin can think whatever he wants about the WWE's decision to fire her, and not others. But that doesn't make it wrong. It's their company, their decision. And they hired her back (for reasons I can't begin to imagine), and that's really all that matters, in the end.

I agreed that she did it. I was objecting to your assumption that it was intentional, considering what was reported about it. And I've already explained to you why the WWE hired her back...and it was because of the consistency thing I kept bringing up. That's not my stance on it...IT'S THEIRS...Why are you playing dumb on this when I've already explained this s**t multiple times....

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
darkz2005

I agree. The fact is, she committed a crime. Whether it was intentional or not, is actually irrelevant. If I accidentally run somebody over with my car, and it's because of my own negligent behavior...well...the fact that I didn't mean to, is almost entirely irrelevant.

Kevin can think whatever he wants about the WWE's decision to fire her, and not others. But that doesn't make it wrong. It's their company, their decision. And they hired her back (for reasons I can't begin to imagine), and that's really all that matters, in the end.

Dapper Phantom

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
black_wing_angel
No, I wouldn't expect you to find them compelling, since you're trying so hard to suggest she's some innocent angel...

What part of "I think she did it, but I don't think it was intentional" implies that I think she was innocent....to save you the trouble of trying to misconstrue what I've written, again, NOTHING. BECAUSE THAT IS NOT NOR WAS IT EVER THE STANCE I WAS TAKING.

Quote:
I've made far less assumptions than you have.

NO YOU ******** HAVEN'T....YOU NEVER EVEN READ ANYTHING ABOUT THIS, AND YOU ALREADY HAD FORMED AN OPINION....IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR YOU TO CLAIM YOU HAVEN'T MADE AS MANY ASSUMPTIONS WHEN YOU DON'T EVE KNOW THE DETAILS....

Quote:
Not at all.

It's essentially an ad hominem fallacy. You're saying "x can't be trusted (without demonstrating why x can't be trusted) and x must be lying." That is a logical fallacy...it's not that ******** hard to see.

Quote:
BECAUSE HE'S GOING TO SAY SHE'S INNOCENT, EVEN IF SHE'S NOT! THAT'S HOW HE GETS PAID!!!

HE GETS PAID EITHER WAY, IDIOT! AND HE DIDN'T ******** SAY SHE WAS INNOCENT. WHAT PART OF INNOCENCE=/=NOT INTENTIONAL DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND!

Quote:
That, or she got the "famous person" leniency. Or that he felt $20 didn't warrant anything higher.

....She's a wrestler...not the pope. That, and no one outside of the WWE fan base has any clue who she is.

Quote:
If he thought it was genuinely an accident, he would more likely throw out the case. He has that right.

Not if she still did the crime...remember, this isn't a jury making the decision, it's a judge. They're bigger sticklers for the law.

Quote:
Consistency that they're not required to hold, so it's irrelevant.

Which I didn't say they're required to be, however, it is in their best interest to be. So it is relevant...because that's precisely why they hired her back.

Quote:
I haven't made very many assumptions, at all. I've only poked holes in the assumptions YOU'VE made.

The hole picking you've done is BASED ON YOUR ASSUMPTIONS. And it's not like your hole picking is convincing at all, considering you're operating from the point of "well, she must have done it on purpose"...which everything that's been reported indicates the otherwise.

Quote:
Yes, I'm an arrogant p***k, when it comes to debates. Thank the wonderful people in the ED for that. But you honestly don't have a leg to stand on, except some appeal to empathy. Logic and reason do not hold up on your arguments.

Dude...I'm the only one being logical in this conversation. I've provided arguments for my stances based on the evidence provided, not on an appeal to empathy...as I never once said anything about feeling sorry for her. You're the one not supporting your arguments and relying solely on ad hoc reasoning...which isn't ******** convincing. So get off that pony that you're calling a high horse, sport...cause you're out of your ******** element.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Rumblestiltskin
black_wing_angel
Incorrect, sir. My arguments have all been legally and logically sound.

No...they haven't. But keep deluding yourself into thinking otherwise. It'd be a shame for you to have to admit you're wrong...

Quote:
Your only arguments are:

1: Sources that you refuse to cite, suggest that it was a simple mistake.

2: Her lawyer said she didn't do it on purpose.

...That's literally all you have.

Actually, no it wasn't...but considering how dishonest you're being, I don't expect any better of you right now.

That's all you cited. If you have more, then do present it. Or shut the hell up.

Quote:
Quote:
I have:

Jack ********' s**t. Your arguments aren't compelling

No, I wouldn't expect you to find them compelling, since you're trying so hard to suggest she's some innocent angel...

Quote:
and are just ad hoc reasoning based on your preconceived belief that "well, she's a garbage wrestler, so she must have done it intentionally." You're full of ******** s**t, and you're too dumb to realize it.

I haven't said anything about her talent, except that her lack of value to the company right now, doesn't put her above the termination line. She's expendable, because she's not involved in anything significant, at the moment.

Quote:
The logic that, depending on where she had the item placed, it's highly suspicious, and not a mistake that is typically seen as "understandable".

It never stated where the item was...

Hence the "depending on"

Try to keep up, Kevin...

Quote:
just that she forgot to pay for it.

"Forgot" being an assumption.

Quote:
So you aren't using logic, dumbass...You're making assumptions.

I've made far less assumptions than you have.

Quote:
The fact that her lawyer is not a reliable source, because he's OBVIOUSLY going to say it wasn't intentional, as that's the only defense he has. Whether its true or not.

And I've explained countless times that saying "well, we can't trust him" is ******** fallacious.

Not at all.

Quote:
You haven't demonstrated anything remotely close to why her particular lawyer is untrustworthy

BECAUSE HE'S GOING TO SAY SHE'S INNOCENT, EVEN IF SHE'S NOT! THAT'S HOW HE GETS PAID!!!

Quote:
Quote:
In a court-room, there's no way a judge or jury would rule it a "simple mistake" based on what evidence we have.

And yet, that's what it seems happened because she got the lowest possible penalty for it....meaning the judge most likely saw that, while she did it, she probably didn't do it intentionally, so he decided to be lenient with her...

That, or she got the "famous person" leniency. Or that he felt $20 didn't warrant anything higher.

If he thought it was genuinely an accident, he would more likely throw out the case. He has that right.

Quote:
And WWE has every right to fire her, as they see fit.

WE AREN'T TALKING ABOUT RIGHTS. WE'RE TALKING ABOUT CONSISTENCY.

Consistency that they're not required to hold, so it's irrelevant.

Quote:
Quote:
Get over it.

Sorry, it's hard for me to get over some arrogant p***k thinking their being logical and then saying some of the stupidest s**t imaginable...especially when you did ******** all to research the case, and just made assumptions for the majority of this.

I haven't made very many assumptions, at all. I've only poked holes in the assumptions YOU'VE made.

Yes, I'm an arrogant p***k, when it comes to debates. Thank the wonderful people in the ED for that. But you honestly don't have a leg to stand on, except some appeal to empathy. Logic and reason do not hold up on your arguments.

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
black_wing_angel
Incorrect, sir. My arguments have all been legally and logically sound.

No...they haven't. But keep deluding yourself into thinking otherwise. It'd be a shame for you to have to admit you're wrong...

Quote:
Your only arguments are:

Actually, no it wasn't...but considering how dishonest you're being, I don't expect any better of you right now.

Quote:
I have:

Jack ********' s**t. Your arguments aren't compelling and are just ad hoc reasoning based on your preconceived belief that "well, she's a garbage wrestler, so she must have done it intentionally." You're full of ******** s**t, and you're too dumb to realize it.

Quote:
The logic that, depending on where she had the item placed, it's highly suspicious, and not a mistake that is typically seen as "understandable".

It never stated where the item was...just that she forgot to pay for it. So you aren't using logic, dumbass...You're making assumptions.

Quote:
The fact that her lawyer is not a reliable source, because he's OBVIOUSLY going to say it wasn't intentional, as that's the only defense he has. Whether its true or not.

And I've explained countless times that saying "well, we can't trust him" is ******** fallacious. You haven't demonstrated anything remotely close to why her particular lawyer is untrustworthy...and, in fact, I've at least provided arguments for why his statement is probably valid, considering he wasn't saying she was innocent, and was arguing for a reduced sentence...which she ******** got.

Quote:
In a court-room, there's no way a judge or jury would rule it a "simple mistake" based on what evidence we have.

And yet, that's what it seems happened because she got the lowest possible penalty for it....meaning the judge most likely saw that, while she did it, she probably didn't do it intentionally, so he decided to be lenient with her...

Quote:
And WWE has every right to fire her, as they see fit.

WE AREN'T TALKING ABOUT RIGHTS. WE'RE TALKING ABOUT CONSISTENCY. HOW MANY ******** TIMES DO I NEED TO EXPLAIN THAT TO YOU, YOU IDIOT...

Quote:
Get over it.

Sorry, it's hard for me to get over some arrogant p***k thinking their being logical and then saying some of the stupidest s**t imaginable...especially when you did ******** all to research the case, and just made assumptions for the majority of this.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Rumblestiltskin
black_wing_angel

No...just no. You're an idiot. That is all.

Incorrect, sir. My arguments have all been legally and logically sound. Your only arguments are:

I have:

In a court-room, there's no way a judge or jury would rule it a "simple mistake" based on what evidence we have. And WWE has every right to fire her, as they see fit.

Get over it.

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
black_wing_angel

No...just no. You're an idiot. That is all.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
You know, Kev, we could go on and on and on. But let's drop this, since you're completely convinced that I'm biased against her, and it's more than obvious that you're biased in her favor, because you're convinced that if a lawyer...a guy who gets paid to try to convince people of the innocence of his client...says she didn't do it, then obviously this means she didn't do it. Which is naive at best.

Also, the only sources you apparently have in relation to this, is TMZ. Which is not an unreliable source, all things considered....but it also doesn't support your assertions, either.

Quote:
Maybe the WWE realized ... if stealing a $21.14 iPad case is a fireable offense ... there wouldn't be enough wrestlers left for a tag team match -- so they REHIRED Diva Emma 2 hours after canning her.

The wrestling org gave Emma the boot 2 days after she copped a plea to stealing the iPad case from a Connecticut Walmart.

The WWE just said, "Upon further evaluation, WWE has reinstated [Diva Emma] but will take appropriate punitive action for her violation of the law."

Sources familiar with the situation tell TMZ ... WWE officials quickly realized they overreacted, because their action would open the floodgates to fire a gaggle of wrestlers for fighting outside the ring, DUI and all sorts of other misdeeds.

It's unclear how Emma will be punished.

iPad case closed.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2014/07/02/wwe-diva-shoplifter-emma-rehired-walmart-ipod-case/#ixzz382HVlTNl

Ok, so the first bolded point outright claims she did steal it. The second one says that she copped a plea deal. As you yourself claimed, if she was guilty, the lawyer would advise her to do exactly that. And the third one is just hilarious. "Unnamed sources" can easily = "we just made this s**t up."

And none of this claims she simply "forgot" it. In fact, it paints a very clear picture of her guilt. So why you, someone trying to vie for her innocence, would post this as a means to support that vying, baffles me....

Between your 2 posted sources, nothing suggests that she was innocent, except a statement from her lawyer. Which amounts to nothing.

So pretty much, you have nothing except overblown faith in someone I assume you must like a lot, especially since you try real hard to suggest that I'm biased against her, and assuming her guilt, just because I'm not buying the word of a defense attorney, and legitimately nothing else, unless you post some better sources.

No, it's not on me to go look for these "supporting sources". You're claiming her innocence. It's on YOU to cite your sources. I'm not doing your homework for you, Kevin.

So come back when you have something better than a lawyer statement. Until then....it's looking more and more clear that she did fully intend to steal it.

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
black_wing_angel
Except I didn't say she "must" have done it. I said she probably done it.

Which you have not demonstrated in the slightest. In fact, everything that I've pointed out that indicated that she probably didn't do it intentionally, you've tried to deny...and it's not like your denials are based on anything rational...because they aren't.

Quote:
Then you're an idiot...

Sorry, there's really no nice way to put it.

Again, not necessarily...considering that, by that time, I'd be spending more energy and time trying to find a basket for the stuff, when I can just rearrange the items to make it more manageable. Besides, we're not talking about "to the point where you're unable to carry it all"...it's more a matter of it being unwieldy to carry it all...which is more about positioning than weight.

Quote:
"Possibly" wasn't. All the "probability" still points to her having full intention, so far as I've seen.

No it ******** doesn't. As I've already been explaining, all the things we know actually point to it being a misunderstanding. In fact, for you to keep up your bullshit of "well, she probably did it" you have to keep assuming that you're being lied to...What kind of conspiracy theory bullshit is that?

Quote:
Then you have no understanding of employment laws. ANYTHING can be a fireable offense, as long as it's not covered by protections, such as race, religion, etc. A potential misunderstanding is not a protected circumstance.

"Anything can be"...followed by several points of things that aren't fireable offenses. Have you never heard of "wrongful termination?" They don't just cover race, religion and the like...if someone feels they've been wrongfully terminated, for a whole slew of reasons, they can file a complaint. And this is one of those types of situation where the court might actually side with the person making the complaint... So, you have a lot of nerve telling someone else that they don't understand employment laws...

Quote:
I'm fairly sure that trial has not been conducted, yet, since she's still outside of a prison cell.

That, or she got acquitted. Or charges were dropped.

Dude...IT'S A ******** MISDEMEANOR. It's not a felony...it's generally not an offense someone would go to prison for...and in fact, she was ordered to do community service. You can easily look this s**t up instead of just pulling it out of your a**.

Quote:
Records have to have a first offense. Also, just because there's no record, does not mean there's never been an offense. The idea is to not get caught...

Yes...they do need a first offense...however, at her age, it's rare to see shoplifting behavior (as it generally emerges in the formative years)...so this most likely is the first offense...especially in this day and age when it's increasingly harder to shoplift. So I don't buy your "well, maybe she was never caught" argument.

Quote:
And again, tell me when we have something more solid than a lawyer's statement.

That's pretty ******** solid right there. Because if he thought he didn't have a case, and this is the type of thing where it's easier just to plea bargain, he wouldn't have bothered with announcing the excuse. Have you never seen a court room drama? Lawyers are always more concerned with only taking cases they think they can win...

Quote:
Changes nothing. In fact, it actually strengthens her potential alibi.

Which...again, is you starting with the assumption that she must have done it...how about that concept of "innocent until proven guilty," eh?

Quote:
Depends on a lot of factors, however.

Not as many as you seem to be implying...we don't need to call forensics in on this...in fact, this is such a small claim, that I think a plausible alibi like this is not something that needs so much doubt cast on it. You're being pretty ******** unreasonable.

Quote:
And that's fine. Except that your reasoning lacks a lot of ground.

Dude...what ******** evidence have you shown to the contrary?! I'm at least looking at reports and s**t. I have at least some semblance of the case...you're barely informed at all.

Quote:
Shoplifting is typically not about the prices. It's more often about the thrill. The thrill of breaking the law, and the thrill of trying to not get caught,

Which doesn't seem to fit her behavior since she has no prior record, and no former complaints. In fact, it's more likely that this was just a misunderstanding.

Quote:
That changes nothing.

It does under the circumstances. She's not poor. She's got a job. She has no prior record. And the possibility of her being a ditz...which is her ******** gimmick to begin with, and probably not a surprise why WWE went with that because they do tend to look at who you are to make a character for you...it all indicates that she didn't do this intentionally.

Quote:
I'm not doing your homework for you.

You're right...you're not doing anything substantial. You're just making assertions that you have no intention of backing up and then expecting me to try and prove you wrong. If you're going to say that she probably did this with intent, PROVIDE SOMETHING SUBSTANTIAL TO BACK UP YOUR CLAIM. Otherwise, your objection is ******** pointless.

Quote:
Actually, in a court of law, they'd do more than hold up well.

The PW forum on gaiaonline isn't a court of law...and even if it were, that kind of petty hole drilling wouldn't. You're basically just throwing your arms up and saying "still could have done it"...it's not effective.

Quote:
No, I am not convinced of anything. Stop assuming s**t about me. It doesn't help your case.

Dude...it's not an assumption on my part...THIS IS WHAT YOU'RE ACTUALLY SAYING. And the fact that you are so unwilling to take ANY sort of evidence that contradicts what you apparently want to believe is why I keep pointing this out.

Quote:
I'm only "convinced" that what I've heard so far of her defense, is shaky at absolute best, and a criminal jury would very likely not buy it.

A criminal jury probably would...BUT IT WOULD NEVER GO TO THAT. Again...MISDEMEANOR. And that's if it even goes to trial. You keep saying that I don't know about the law, but you keep making such sweeping assumptions that seem to come from a complete lack of understanding of how the law actually works. Not every arrest goes to trial, and not every trial has a jury. Have you not seen Judge Judy before?

Quote:
Seems more and more like you just don't get what I'm saying, and are simply reading what you want me to say. I get that a lot in the ED, so I'm pretty well aware of most of the tactics. You're not exactly debating against a novice, here...

No...I get what you're saying. It's just not rational, and that's a big part of my objection.

Quote:
By an unreliable source. Which is worth nothing. I want something a lot more solid than that.

It isn't unreliable...YOU may not find it compelling, but that doesn't mean it's "unreliable." If you're going to make that claim, then demonstrate that her lawyer, specifically, cannot be trusted. And appealing to "because he's a lawyer" is not a valid excuse, because lawyers don't ALWAYS lie...and in fact, if his client did it...it'd be in his best interest to not say anything and try and push for a plea bargain rather than stating an alibi for a case he could possibly lose...

Quote:
No, I really don't think so.

Then you don't understand what valid means.

Quote:
Alright, let's make this easier.

List and link to those reports.

Considering your complete lack of knowledge on the case, it'd probably be easier for you to just google it yourself...however, I'll be nice and give you a couple links.

Quote:
And I haven't. No matter how much you want to believe I have, the fact does not change that I have not.

YOU HAVEN'T DONE ANY ******** RESEARCH INTO IT! Maybe I'd take your position more seriously if you brought anything substantial to the conversation, but you just keep assuming that you're being lied to...THAT'S NOT ******** RATIONAL!

Quote:
No, it's just Wrestlemania, pretty much all national news outlets (which is free advertising), explosive social buzz (also free advertising)...

Explosive in that it fizzled out quickly...seriously, that s**t was barely memorable, even going into WM. It's not like they couldn't have found a way to at least punish the guy...which they didn't. In fact, he was given a better position and it wasn't until he concussed Ziggler that they took him out of the title picture. And, again, the point is that the WWE has zero consistency.

Quote:
...and Glenn Beck.

I mean, when the guys had to break ******** kayfabe on their own program, in order to remind people that they were just portraying characters....that's pretty ******** huge. And absolutely not something that can just be dropped or changed, without a very forceful reason.

...It wasn't something they NEEDED to do...it was something they DECIDED to do because they wanted to make Glenn look like an idiot (which isn't hard) for more media exposure. They could just as easily not done that and continued subtlely mocking him and still got the same amount of exposure...because their breaking kayfabe did nothing to get them more exposure, as it was only wrestling fans who really took notice. And, again, that whole thing was barely memorable...it was here and gone faster than Ryback's push as a championship contender...

Quote:
That much was probably an oversight after the fact. Or maybe he just got a little extra leeway, for whatever reason. It may not be right, but it's not our call to make.

I never said that it was our call to make...however, consistency in the company is a much better attribute than playing favorites and ignoring serious crimes while punishing much more minor infractions....especially when it's a publicly traded company.

Quote:
Yes there are. That...doesn't really change anything.

Yes...it does...because we're talking about consistency.

Quote:
Negative. I meant only that she wasn't involved in anything relevant.

Which is irrelevant because relevancy to the show is ******** subjective.

Quote:
Just being Santino's associate. And not even especially solidly. It was a situation where she could disappear forever, and nobody would really know the difference.

Which is applicable to almost the entire roster...seriously, there may be ten guys who, if fired, it'd be a big deal.

Quote:
I...did not deny anything.

For the last ******** time, Kevin, I simply said that A LAWYER'S STATEMENT IS NOT RELIABLE!.

NOT NECESSARILY. It may not be COMPELLING. But it can still be RELIABLE. DEMONSTRATE THAT IT'S ******** NOT.

Quote:
I did not say "nope. Her lawyer said she didn't do it, so she clearly did." I just said that if someone wants to prove her innocence, they'll need a LOT more than just a statement from a lawyer, who gets paid to convince you she's innocent, whether she actually is, or not.

"It was a misunderstanding" isn't stating that his client is innocent. It's admitting that she did it, but that she didn't do it intentionally...and yes, you are implying that, because her lawyer said it, that we can't take the information seriously, despite all the things that seem to indicate that he was telling the truth.

Quote:
Yeah. I know how the law works. A hell of a lot better than you do, apparently.

Considering you think a misdemeanor charge goes to a trial jury...Yeah, I don't think so...

Quote:
And a lawyer's statement doesn't really have much pull, in a trial.

....YES IT DOES. THAT'S WHY THEY'RE ******** TALKING, YOU RETARD! They are there to convince the jury and/or judge that what they're saying is true....If what they say had no relevancy to the case, then there'd be no point to hire a ******** attorney in the first ******** place. You can not seriously be this ******** stupid.

Quote:
...Nevermind. You just don't ******** understand how speculation works...There's no sense trying.

No, I do understand how speculation works...however, speculation isn't ad hoc responses to let you keep your preconceived notion. You aren't being ******** rational, dude.

Quote:
Then your mom's an idiot.

Coming from you after the s**t you've just said, I'm not too bothered by what you think about me or my mom. It's like having a creationist telling you that you ignore reality. It's just painfully ironic.

Quote:
Because that is especially suspicious.

Actually, it's not. Because once again, you don't have any concept of the circumstances. She has her purse open, right in front of her in the cart, with the greeting cards she intends to pay for sticking out the top...right next to her wallet, so she'd have to see them before she paid for the rest of the stuff. Again, stop with the immediate assumptions, and maybe ask questions FIRST before you jump to your conclusions...

Quote:
Anyone watching the cameras who sees her put something she hasn't paid for into her purse, is GOING to be on high alert. And the moment she forgets, and walks out without paying for it, they're GOING to assume it was intentional, and a jury is GOING to believe them.

Just like a jury is going to believe forensic evidence that indicates that Casey Anthony killed her daughter, right? Again, juries are ******** stupid...they aren't always going to act rationally, especially when you can pull on their heartstrings...that's why the attorneys are present at jury selection...they're looking for people that THEY CAN CONVINCE...

Quote:
Which has a likelihood of astronomically low value. People very seldom do that. And for that exact reason. Because you have pretty much no ******** chance, in court.

Just because it's unlikely, doesn't make it impossible, especially if that's the sort of circumstance that seems to be what happened...which is what is indicated by everything that's been reported. And it's not a matter of guilt or innocence...we've both agreed that she did it. What we are disagreeing on is INTENT...which is why she had to do a day of community service...if it was intentional, she probably would have had to do more...like 30 days...which is about the norm for a misdemeanor.

Quote:
...Which is actually worse.

Depends on the case...but in this circumstance, if it was the intent of her lawyers to try and prove her innocence, then yeah, it wouldn't be ideal. However, considering her lawyers statements, that doesn't seem to be what the plan was. They probably took getting her off with such a light punishment as a victory.

Quote:
Not always. And most juries are smarter than to buy "whoopsie! I totally didn't mean to walk out with an unpaid for item in my purse / pocket / other location other than where unpaid for items are expected to be"

Have you never seen a jury in action? These are the most easily persuaded people on the planet. Again, look at all the high profile murder cases where the person clearly did it, that ended with them being let off the hook because of the jury...In fact, it takes a lot to convince a jury that someone did commit a crime as opposed to convincing them that they didn't.

Quote:
That's circumstantial, at best. And comes mostly down to various applicable laws regarding admissibility, and burden of proof.

...That's not circumstantial when I'm pointing out that juries are not the most rational group of people...in fact, it's ******** indicative of what I'm saying.

Quote:
That's why an intelligent person does not put items in purses / pockets / other places where unpaid for items do not belong.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Quote:
Have I done some stupid s**t? Absolutely. Have I ever put items I have not paid for, in places where it would be easy for me to forget, and look ridiculously suspicious? No.

I didn't imply that you've been in this exact situation. I'm pointing out that criticizing someone for doing something stupid when no one on the ******** earth is any better is hypocritical at best.

Quote:
My reasons are not wrong. I'm well within my right to be skeptical.

You aren't being skeptical. Skepticism isn't outrightly denying anything that could prove what you want to think wrong...which is what you're doing. In fact, if you were being skeptical, you wouldn't be taking a stance either way UNTIL you had enough compelling evidence to sway you. Your stance wouldn't be "well, she probably did it with intent"...it would be "I don't know if she did it with intent or not."

Quote:
I'm not dismissive of that fact. I'm just greatly aware of how unlikely it is.

By denying every indication that you are wrong...my, how non-dismissive you are... rolleyes

Quote:
It's entirely possible for me to win the lottery tomorrow, by picking the exact sequence of 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12. But I honestly wouldn't put a lot of faith into it. Why? Because it being "possible", does not hold up against it being "unlikely".

And you came to that conclusion based on evidence...what ******** evidence do you have that implies that she did it with intent!?

Quote:
Some might, but I'm pretty sure most do not.

They do. In fact, only the more really successful firms offer the "we don't get paid until you do" clause. It's a bad business practice, especially when you have a tendency to defend more guilty people than you do innocent ones...meaning you're more likely to lose more cases than you are to win them.

Quote:
That's their incentive to present the strongest case physically possible. Their paycheck relies on it.

Not paycheck...CAREER. Having more successful cases leads to more people wanting to hire you, which leads to getting more money and more fame, and even, better cases and better clientele. Lawyers are not paid "per win"...this isn't ******** retail commission.

Quote:
Actually, it's pretty smart.

You've done nothing to back this up other than assert it...and I've just explained why it's not. Lawyers end up defending people who are more often guilty than they are innocent...meaning they are going to lose more often than they win.

Quote:
Again, if you only get paid when you win, you have a lot more incentive to win. And it's cheaper for the firm.

They already have incentive to win....winning means you get MORE money. Not winning does not mean that you get no money. And just because something is cheaper, does not mean it is better. If I ran a business where I didn't pay you until you sold something, I'd get a lot less talented employees than someone who paid their employees regularly, and then paid them more when they were more successful. This shouldn't be that hard of a concept to understand.

Quote:
Plea bargains usually come once all hope is lost. Unless there's video evidence, or something concrete against the defendant, they won't typically start with it.

Unless it's a case like this, where they're certain they can bring the charges down...which is what seems to have happened considering she only did a day of community service...

Quote:
I don't know that, though. People do lie. It's "possible", isn't it?

Which, again, is not a ******** rational position to take. I could understand just not being convinced...but to assume that someone isn't being honest just because the possibility exists isn't being skeptical...It's being delusionally paranoid.

Quote:
I'll have to look into that one.

Yeah, it's an interesting case...because even his "alibi" indicates that he did it...and it wasn't until Vince came into the police department with a briefcase (that he left there...the implication is that he bribed the officers) that the investigation was dropped.

Quote:
People have been harping on the WWE for their executive decisions, since at least 2009, when they announced their new PG rating. And that's just on a mass scale. Every decision they've ever made, has had some sort of resistance. You really thing a bucket full of people bitching about an irrelevant diva getting s**t-canned, is going to rattle their cages?

Where did I say it would....I've only ever stated that they were getting negative feed back. That says nothing about how the WWE should respond...although, THAT IS WHAT LED TO THEM HIRING HER BACK. They were concerned that people would point how inconsistent they are. I don't see why you're objecting to this because this is precisely what happened.

Quote:
Now, when they fired Daniel Bryan, that was a different story. He had a fanbase. A very, very ******** large and vocal one. That's a lot harder to ignore, than maybe 1/100 of that.

Size of the feedback is irrelevant as well, considering I was just pointing out that it was going on...And, in fact, again, the negative reaction is why they hired her back...so your objections are moot.

Quote:
But all of this aside, I would like to see her come back with her entrance theme edited to use police sirens xd That would be hilarious.

I wouldn't be opposed to that...or even giving her a klepto gimmick. I don't think this is anything she necessarily has to feel embarrassed about because s**t happens. Hell, I've been accused of shoplifting before, and it was a complete misunderstanding on their part.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Rumblestiltskin
black_wing_angel
I didn't say it was. I just said you shouldn't trust her lawyer as a reliable source. Which pretty much everything I've heard to suggest her innocence, traces back to.

Which....again...is a fallacious argument. If you have an objection, find a more suitable argument than "her lawyer said it was an accident...well, we can't trust him, so she must have done it."...

Except I didn't say she "must" have done it. I said she probably done it.

Quote:
Quote:
Well, typically, if you come to a point where you have more items than you have the ability to carry....you can always go BACK to the front and pick up a basket.

Not necessarily....I don't.

Then you're an idiot...

Sorry, there's really no nice way to put it.

Quote:
Quote:
Never keep any item anywhere where you might forget it. For exactly that reason. From the sound of it, the responsibility is still on her.

I'm not saying it's not. I'm saying there probably wasn't intent behind it.

"Possibly" wasn't. All the "probability" still points to her having full intention, so far as I've seen.

Quote:
..and you seem to be implying that there was. I'm also saying that this isn't a fireable offense,

Then you have no understanding of employment laws. ANYTHING can be a fireable offense, as long as it's not covered by protections, such as race, religion, etc. A potential misunderstanding is not a protected circumstance.

Quote:
especially considering the precedent WWE has set with the people who commit felonies and stay employed.

I'm fairly sure that trial has not been conducted, yet, since she's still outside of a prison cell.

That, or she got acquitted. Or charges were dropped.

Quote:
Quote:
It might be one thing if she tried to scan it, and it simply didn't register, this happens with CDs and other electronic merchandise, all the time. But to "forget you had it", is a bit out there...There's only so many ways you can be in that situation, and most of them look very suspicious.

Again, it was me speculating, so it may have well just not have registered.

And if that's the case, then so be it.

Quote:
All we have to go on is the lawyer's statement of it being a misunderstanding and the fact that she doesn't have a record of doing anything like this before.

Records have to have a first offense. Also, just because there's no record, does not mean there's never been an offense. The idea is to not get caught...

And again, tell me when we have something more solid than a lawyer's statement.

Quote:
Quote:
It's easier to get away with stealing something small, than to try to walk out with a handful of items. And the fact that she paid for the rest of it, might serve as an alibi that she had thought she scanned it, but it didn't register.

...I imagine by that point, she probably bagged her items...so I doubt she would be walking out with her hands full of stuff.

Changes nothing. In fact, it actually strengthens her potential alibi.

Quote:
Quote:
People try this s**t, all the time. It basically "looks less suspicious". Or so they think.

And do you know why? Because it's a plausible excuse.

Depends on a lot of factors, however.

Quote:
Yes, there are people who take advantage of this, but I don't think that's what was going on here,

And that's fine. Except that your reasoning lacks a lot of ground.

Quote:
especially since it's not like she's in financial trouble. Sure, she's not making John Cena money...but I find it hard to believe that she didn't have money for a $20 item.

Shoplifting is typically not about the prices. It's more often about the thrill. The thrill of breaking the law, and the thrill of trying to not get caught,

Quote:
Quote:
Then do so.

I've already told you that she doesn't have a prior record of this.

That changes nothing.

Quote:
..if you're suggesting otherwise...YOU go look for it...

I'm not doing your homework for you.

Quote:
Quote:
Not at all. I'm speculating. I have not outright accused her of anything. Only drilled holes in all of your assumptions of her innocence.

And your hole drilling is based on petty arguments that don't hold up, honestly...

Actually, in a court of law, they'd do more than hold up well.

Quote:
and yet, you remain convinced that there has to be a reason for why she was taken into custody other than a simple mistake....WHICH IS AN ASSUMPTION.

No, I am not convinced of anything. Stop assuming s**t about me. It doesn't help your case.

I'm only "convinced" that what I've heard so far of her defense, is shaky at absolute best, and a criminal jury would very likely not buy it.

Quote:
Quote:
Incorrect, but a solid effort.

An assertion which isn't jiving with the s**t you're saying, but nice try.

Seems more and more like you just don't get what I'm saying, and are simply reading what you want me to say. I get that a lot in the ED, so I'm pretty well aware of most of the tactics. You're not exactly debating against a novice, here...

Quote:
Quote:
I've done no such thing. I've only ran with the information you've provided, and how logically flawed it is.

It's not logically flawed...this is the stuff we've been told.

By an unreliable source. Which is worth nothing. I want something a lot more solid than that.

Quote:
I'll admit that there's a possibility that I could be wrong, but I'd be wrong for a valid reason. And if what you're saying is right, you'd still be right for invalid reasons.

No, I really don't think so.

Quote:
Quote:
In an indirect way...it kinda does. As I mentioned before, if you look back at all the people you're noting for them "being soft on", they have all been people involved in important (or at least semi-important) story angles. Emma is literally nowhere, at the moment. The only angle she had, was being associated with Santino. Didn't even have a feud going. And now Santino is retired from in-ring competition, leaving her with nothing. And thus, easily expendable. She doesn't even have that strong of a following. Yeah, you see a few zoom-ins on fans doing her dance, but they're also highly isolated. Most of the people don't give a single ********. So there's no motivation to give her that leniency, because there's nothing to protect.

Here's the thing: she isn't the first mid-card nobody to get caught up in this kind of s**t. Plenty of guys have, and none of them were fired, regardless of if they were being used at the time or not. So it's not a talent thing...it's not about her being over (I'll grant that if she were more over, she wouldn't have been fired, but I'm saying her not being over isn't why she was fired). It was about WWE making a gut shot decision without really thinking about it first.

And I suppose that's possible. Hell, likely. But the ultimate decision to go ahead with it, is most likely predicated by her lack of value as an asset to the company. I'm sure when Swagger got busted, there was talk of his future. But his status at the time, was ultimately the deciding factor to not fire him.

For better or worse, status in the company gives one a lot of pull.

Quote:
Quote:
Except that....it very well might be like she was trying to do something wrong.

Yes...it could...however, the reports coming out about are indicative to the opposite.

Alright, let's make this easier.

List and link to those reports.

Quote:
And again, I'm not saying she's completely innocent...or that she's innocent...I'm just saying that it's too early to start saying that she's guilty, considering what we've heard about it.

And I haven't. No matter how much you want to believe I have, the fact does not change that I have not.

Quote:
Quote:
Questionable, certainly. But they did it. They had him highly invested in a feud for Wrestlemania. And not just some throw-in that nobody would remember. A feud so powerful and culturally relevant, that it made NATIONAL NEWS, and even led to calling out Glenn Beck.

You really can't just walk away from something like that, if you don't absolutely have to.

Actually, you probably could have...it's just Glenn Beck...who isn't even on TV anymore.

No, it's just Wrestlemania, pretty much all national news outlets (which is free advertising), explosive social buzz (also free advertising)...

...and Glenn Beck.

I mean, when the guys had to break ******** kayfabe on their own program, in order to remind people that they were just portraying characters....that's pretty ******** huge. And absolutely not something that can just be dropped or changed, without a very forceful reason.

Quote:
It also happened early enough in the storyline that they could have gone a different route with it...cause I'm fairly certain he wasn't even punished for it, period...even though he should have been because it was a violation of the WP.

That much was probably an oversight after the fact. Or maybe he just got a little extra leeway, for whatever reason. It may not be right, but it's not our call to make.

Quote:
Jeff Hardy (just because I have a feeling someone will bring him up) was a different story, altogether. When he missed out on Wrestlemania, he was only involved in the MITB match, which didn't even need him, anyway. There were enough guys in it, to make it easy to exclude him, and still have basically the same match, possibly a different winner. I don't even remember him being involved in any feuds, regarding that match. It was like he was just a throw-in.

Sure...and there are plenty of other guys like Jeff...who have mug shots online for getting arrested for doing far worse things than maybe trying to take a $20 item...

Yes there are. That...doesn't really change anything.

Quote:
Quote:
That....doesn't really mean anything. Lots of people see TV time, even when they're not part of anything, at the time. Jobbers, and popcorn throw-ins, especially.

You implied that she wasn't being used...she was. Was it a big spot? No...but she was still being used.

Negative. I meant only that she wasn't involved in anything relevant. Just being Santino's associate. And not even especially solidly. It was a situation where she could disappear forever, and nobody would really know the difference.

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe she was about to become involved in something, but she wasn't at the moment, so it's relatively easy to abandon the arc, at that stage.

Which, again, is irrelevant considering the more important aspect should be the consistency of the company...WHICH is why they brought her back.

Quote:
Again, speculation =/= assumption. It's more of a process of elimination.

No...at this point, you're not speculating anymore.

Yeah, I still am.

Quote:
When you're outright denying her alibi because of who it came from..

I...did not deny anything.

For the last ******** time, Kevin, I simply said that A LAWYER'S STATEMENT IS NOT RELIABLE!.

I did not say "nope. Her lawyer said she didn't do it, so she clearly did." I just said that if someone wants to prove her innocence, they'll need a LOT more than just a statement from a lawyer, who gets paid to convince you she's innocent, whether she actually is, or not.

Quote:
it's you basing your preconceived notion that she must have done something wrong. I mean...you do understand that lawyers don't just defend the guilty, right? They also have innocent clients.

Yeah. I know how the law works. A hell of a lot better than you do, apparently. And a lawyer's statement doesn't really have much pull, in a trial.

Quote:
And you haven't eliminated anything...So it's definitely not a process of ******** elimination.

...Nevermind. You just don't ******** understand how speculation works...There's no sense trying.

Quote:
Quote:
Which is ridiculously dumb, and highly suspicious. And either way, if that's indeed what she did, her innocence plea is pretty much dead in the water. No jury on Earth would reasonably believe someone put something unpaid for in their purse, with intention to pay for it. That is pretty much exclusively an act of attempted shoplifting.

Again...my mom does it all the time...

Then your mom's an idiot. Because that is especially suspicious. Anyone watching the cameras who sees her put something she hasn't paid for into her purse, is GOING to be on high alert. And the moment she forgets, and walks out without paying for it, they're GOING to assume it was intentional, and a jury is GOING to believe them.

Quote:
She doesn't hide it in her purse, she keeps the items where she can see them, but I know for a fact that one time, she forgot to pay for it, and caught herself before she got to the scanner. It's a plausible scenario...it doesn't make it right, but it certainly does show a scenario where it could have happened and not have been intentional...

Which has a likelihood of astronomically low value. People very seldom do that. And for that exact reason. Because you have pretty much no ******** chance, in court.

Quote:
Quote:
It's possible in some astronomical way, but don't ever expect a jury to buy it.

Actually, it probably wouldn't go to a jury...it's a misdemeanor, which means it would probably just be a judge's decision...

...Which is actually worse.

Quote:
however, a jury would totally buy this story, especially if they sold the whole "mistake" angle...because juries are pretty ******** stupid.

Not always. And most juries are smarter than to buy "whoopsie! I totally didn't mean to walk out with an unpaid for item in my purse / pocket / other location other than where unpaid for items are expected to be"

Quote:
How many high profile murder cases where the defendant clearly committed the crime and yet is found not guilty do you need to hear about before you understand that?

That's circumstantial, at best. And comes mostly down to various applicable laws regarding admissibility, and burden of proof.

Quote:
Quote:
And if that's indeed anything close what actually happened, then she's grade-A ******** retarded, and deserves every bit of the punishment, if only as a public service to anyone else who might have this sort of mental process...

Or...she was distracted by something else...like a phone call or something. Or she just plain forgot.

That's why an intelligent person does not put items in purses / pockets / other places where unpaid for items do not belong.

Quote:
One mistake does not necessitate mental retardation...Hell, I'm sure you've done stupid s**t in your past, and I doubt anyone's been nearly as critical of you as you're being of her.

Have I done some stupid s**t? Absolutely. Have I ever put items I have not paid for, in places where it would be easy for me to forget, and look ridiculously suspicious? No.

Quote:
Quote:
No, it's not me deciding she's guilty. It's me simply not trusting the source. If a more reliable source surfaces, then there will be that. But "her lawyer said it!"...well...no s**t, Sherlock. You can murder 15 people on camera, and a lawyer will at least say that it's not you...

Like I've said...I could very well be wrong on this...but I'd at least be wrong for the right reasons, instead of right for the wrong ones...

My reasons are not wrong. I'm well within my right to be skeptical.

Quote:
And you ARE deciding that she's guilty when you're completely dismissive of the fact that it COULD be a mistake.

I'm not dismissive of that fact. I'm just greatly aware of how unlikely it is. It's entirely possible for me to win the lottery tomorrow, by picking the exact sequence of 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12. But I honestly wouldn't put a lot of faith into it. Why? Because it being "possible", does not hold up against it being "unlikely".

Quote:
If he were to outright admit that "well...yeah. She kinda did..." then his defense is ******** shot to hell, and with it, any chance of him winning the case. And if he doesn't win, he doesn't get paid. So, in the interest of getting paid, he's going to tell you that she didn't mean to do it.

.....Lawyers still get paid if they lose.

Some might, but I'm pretty sure most do not. That's their incentive to present the strongest case physically possible. Their paycheck relies on it.

Quote:
Not every firm does the "we don't get paid if you don't win" thing. In fact, most of them don't...cause that'd be a dumb way to run a business.

Actually, it's pretty smart. Again, if you only get paid when you win, you have a lot more incentive to win. And it's cheaper for the firm.

Quote:
He's saying she didn't do it because he thinks he can win the case. Any respectable lawyer who didn't think his client had an opportunity to win would make a plea bargain...especially for something like this.

Plea bargains usually come once all hope is lost. Unless there's video evidence, or something concrete against the defendant, they won't typically start with it.

Quote:
Quote:
I have my doubts about that, but ok.

Somehow, I doubt that you know me better than I do...so when I say "it wouldn't matter if this person weren't on TV"...I ******** MEAN IT.

I don't know that, though. People do lie. It's "possible", isn't it?

Quote:
Quote:
Not exactly. But they do get a fair bit of leniency. A minor marijuana charge, which is basically at a point where it's not even honestly worth it, is quite a far-cry from 2 solid counts of murder.

Okay...maybe the Benoits were a bad example...should have probably gone with Snuka killing his girlfriend instead...

I'll have to look into that one.

Quote:
Quote:
Wrestling fans. The people who think that Bo Dallas should be fired for....literally...doing his job? You really trust these peoples' judgment?

I didn't say I trusted their judgement. I said the WWE was receiving negative reactions...which they were. Trust in the people making the argument is irrelevant.

People have been harping on the WWE for their executive decisions, since at least 2009, when they announced their new PG rating. And that's just on a mass scale. Every decision they've ever made, has had some sort of resistance. You really thing a bucket full of people bitching about an irrelevant diva getting s**t-canned, is going to rattle their cages?

Now, when they fired Daniel Bryan, that was a different story. He had a fanbase. A very, very ******** large and vocal one. That's a lot harder to ignore, than maybe 1/100 of that.

But all of this aside, I would like to see her come back with her entrance theme edited to use police sirens xd That would be hilarious.

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
black_wing_angel
I didn't say it was. I just said you shouldn't trust her lawyer as a reliable source. Which pretty much everything I've heard to suggest her innocence, traces back to.

Which....again...is a fallacious argument. If you have an objection, find a more suitable argument than "her lawyer said it was an accident...well, we can't trust him, so she must have done it."...

Quote:
Well, typically, if you come to a point where you have more items than you have the ability to carry....you can always go BACK to the front and pick up a basket.

Not necessarily....I don't.

Quote:
Never keep any item anywhere where you might forget it. For exactly that reason. From the sound of it, the responsibility is still on her.

I'm not saying it's not. I'm saying there probably wasn't intent behind it...and you seem to be implying that there was. I'm also saying that this isn't a fireable offense, especially considering the precedent WWE has set with the people who commit felonies and stay employed.

Quote:
It might be one thing if she tried to scan it, and it simply didn't register, this happens with CDs and other electronic merchandise, all the time. But to "forget you had it", is a bit out there...There's only so many ways you can be in that situation, and most of them look very suspicious.

Again, it was me speculating, so it may have well just not have registered. All we have to go on is the lawyer's statement of it being a misunderstanding and the fact that she doesn't have a record of doing anything like this before.

Quote:
It's easier to get away with stealing something small, than to try to walk out with a handful of items. And the fact that she paid for the rest of it, might serve as an alibi that she had thought she scanned it, but it didn't register.

...I imagine by that point, she probably bagged her items...so I doubt she would be walking out with her hands full of stuff.

Quote:
People try this s**t, all the time. It basically "looks less suspicious". Or so they think.

And do you know why? Because it's a plausible excuse. Yes, there are people who take advantage of this, but I don't think that's what was going on here, especially since it's not like she's in financial trouble. Sure, she's not making John Cena money...but I find it hard to believe that she didn't have money for a $20 item.

Quote:
Then do so.

I've already told you that she doesn't have a prior record of this...if you're suggesting otherwise...YOU go look for it...

Quote:
Not at all. I'm speculating. I have not outright accused her of anything. Only drilled holes in all of your assumptions of her innocence.

And your hole drilling is based on petty arguments that don't hold up, honestly....and yet, you remain convinced that there has to be a reason for why she was taken into custody other than a simple mistake....WHICH IS AN ASSUMPTION.

Quote:

An assertion which isn't jiving with the s**t you're saying, but nice try.

Quote:
I've done no such thing. I've only ran with the information you've provided, and how logically flawed it is.

It's not logically flawed...this is the stuff we've been told. I'll admit that there's a possibility that I could be wrong, but I'd be wrong for a valid reason. And if what you're saying is right, you'd still be right for invalid reasons.

Quote:
Quote:
And? Empathy typically hurts business, more than it helps.

Not necessarily, especially when we're talking about a company with such a public face as the WWE, who decides that trying to bribe a cop, which Cameron had absolutely no rational excuse for, is not a serious infraction (even though it's a felony), but a misdemeanor with a pretty plausible excuse is grounds for termination? ...Yeah...THAT makes the company look bad, as can be seen by HOW PEOPLE RESPONDED TO THE STORY.

Fair enough point, I suppose.

Quote:
In an indirect way...it kinda does. As I mentioned before, if you look back at all the people you're noting for them "being soft on", they have all been people involved in important (or at least semi-important) story angles. Emma is literally nowhere, at the moment. The only angle she had, was being associated with Santino. Didn't even have a feud going. And now Santino is retired from in-ring competition, leaving her with nothing. And thus, easily expendable. She doesn't even have that strong of a following. Yeah, you see a few zoom-ins on fans doing her dance, but they're also highly isolated. Most of the people don't give a single ********. So there's no motivation to give her that leniency, because there's nothing to protect.

Here's the thing: she isn't the first mid-card nobody to get caught up in this kind of s**t. Plenty of guys have, and none of them were fired, regardless of if they were being used at the time or not. So it's not a talent thing...it's not about her being over (I'll grant that if she were more over, she wouldn't have been fired, but I'm saying her not being over isn't why she was fired). It was about WWE making a gut shot decision without really thinking about it first.

Quote:

Yes...it could...however, the reports coming out about are indicative to the opposite. And again, I'm not saying she's completely innocent...or that she's innocent...I'm just saying that it's too early to start saying that she's guilty, considering what we've heard about it.

Quote:
Questionable, certainly. But they did it. They had him highly invested in a feud for Wrestlemania. And not just some throw-in that nobody would remember. A feud so powerful and culturally relevant, that it made NATIONAL NEWS, and even led to calling out Glenn Beck.

You really can't just walk away from something like that, if you don't absolutely have to.

Actually, you probably could have...it's just Glenn Beck...who isn't even on TV anymore. It also happened early enough in the storyline that they could have gone a different route with it...cause I'm fairly certain he wasn't even punished for it, period...even though he should have been because it was a violation of the WP.

Quote:
Jeff Hardy (just because I have a feeling someone will bring him up) was a different story, altogether. When he missed out on Wrestlemania, he was only involved in the MITB match, which didn't even need him, anyway. There were enough guys in it, to make it easy to exclude him, and still have basically the same match, possibly a different winner. I don't even remember him being involved in any feuds, regarding that match. It was like he was just a throw-in.

Sure...and there are plenty of other guys like Jeff...who have mug shots online for getting arrested for doing far worse things than maybe trying to take a $20 item...

Quote:
That....doesn't really mean anything. Lots of people see TV time, even when they're not part of anything, at the time. Jobbers, and popcorn throw-ins, especially.

You implied that she wasn't being used...she was. Was it a big spot? No...but she was still being used.

Quote:
Maybe she was about to become involved in something, but she wasn't at the moment, so it's relatively easy to abandon the arc, at that stage.

Which, again, is irrelevant considering the more important aspect should be the consistency of the company...WHICH is why they brought her back.

Quote:

No...at this point, you're not speculating anymore. When you're outright denying her alibi because of who it came from...it's you basing your preconceived notion that she must have done something wrong. I mean...you do understand that lawyers don't just defend the guilty, right? They also have innocent clients.

And you haven't eliminated anything...So it's definitely not a process of ******** elimination.

Quote:
Which is ridiculously dumb, and highly suspicious. And either way, if that's indeed what she did, her innocence plea is pretty much dead in the water. No jury on Earth would reasonably believe someone put something unpaid for in their purse, with intention to pay for it. That is pretty much exclusively an act of attempted shoplifting.

Again...my mom does it all the time... She doesn't hide it in her purse, she keeps the items where she can see them, but I know for a fact that one time, she forgot to pay for it, and caught herself before she got to the scanner. It's a plausible scenario...it doesn't make it right, but it certainly does show a scenario where it could have happened and not have been intentional...

Quote:

Actually, it probably wouldn't go to a jury...it's a misdemeanor, which means it would probably just be a judge's decision...however, a jury would totally buy this story, especially if they sold the whole "mistake" angle...because juries are pretty ******** stupid. How many high profile murder cases where the defendant clearly committed the crime and yet is found not guilty do you need to hear about before you understand that?

Quote:
And if that's indeed anything close what actually happened, then she's grade-A ******** retarded, and deserves every bit of the punishment, if only as a public service to anyone else who might have this sort of mental process...

Or...she was distracted by something else...like a phone call or something. Or she just plain forgot. One mistake does not necessitate mental retardation...Hell, I'm sure you've done stupid s**t in your past, and I doubt anyone's been nearly as critical of you as you're being of her.

Quote:
No, it's not me deciding she's guilty. It's me simply not trusting the source. If a more reliable source surfaces, then there will be that. But "her lawyer said it!"...well...no s**t, Sherlock. You can murder 15 people on camera, and a lawyer will at least say that it's not you...

Like I've said...I could very well be wrong on this...but I'd at least be wrong for the right reasons, instead of right for the wrong ones...

And you ARE deciding that she's guilty when you're completely dismissive of the fact that it COULD be a mistake.

Quote:
If he were to outright admit that "well...yeah. She kinda did..." then his defense is ******** shot to hell, and with it, any chance of him winning the case. And if he doesn't win, he doesn't get paid. So, in the interest of getting paid, he's going to tell you that she didn't mean to do it.

.....Lawyers still get paid if they lose. Not every firm does the "we don't get paid if you don't win" thing. In fact, most of them don't...cause that'd be a dumb way to run a business. He's saying she didn't do it because he thinks he can win the case. Any respectable lawyer who didn't think his client had an opportunity to win would make a plea bargain...especially for something like this.

Quote:

Somehow, I doubt that you know me better than I do...so when I say "it wouldn't matter if this person weren't on TV"...I ******** MEAN IT. I'm not some star struck fan who thinks Emma is shitting gold. I really don't care that much for her as a talent...She's better than what she's showcased on the main roster, as she was better in NXT...but her not being used is no skin off my a**. I am only arguing this because of the lack of consistency on behalf of the WWE considering the circumstances.

Quote:
Not exactly. But they do get a fair bit of leniency. A minor marijuana charge, which is basically at a point where it's not even honestly worth it, is quite a far-cry from 2 solid counts of murder.

Okay...maybe the Benoits were a bad example...should have probably gone with Snuka killing his girlfriend instead...

Quote:
Wrestling fans. The people who think that Bo Dallas should be fired for....literally...doing his job? You really trust these peoples' judgment?

I didn't say I trusted their judgement. I said the WWE was receiving negative reactions...which they were. Trust in the people making the argument is irrelevant.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Rumblestiltskin
black_wing_angel
Not at all. My point is only that, just because her lawyer says it's "a misunderstanding", doesn't mean it is. It means he wants you to think it is. That's his meal-ticket. One's lawyer is not a trustworthy source for information.

Which is a fallacious argument. To just so easily dismiss the alibi because it came from her lawyer (who probably told her to keep quiet and let him handle the case) is a tad ridiculous. That's not an indication one way or another of her guilt.

Quote:
Quote:
Oh, I can imagine it. But I don't think it would net such a drastic outcome, for a genuine "woopsie".

If she didn't grab a basket (cause she wasn't getting that much stuff), picked up the item first, then did the rest of her shopping and had the item on her person, and just forgot as she was going through the scanner...and then they stop her, question her, and THEN she remembers that she had that item...yeah, that could be a genuine mistake.

Quote:
Quote:
So?

If you're going to knowingly steal something...why bother paying for any of it

Quote:
Quote:
...that we're aware of.

Which is easily verifiable...

Then do so.

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not assuming anything. That's the difference, here. I'm assuming nothing. You're assuming something.

You are assuming something...you're assuming that she knowingly tried to steal a $20 item.

Quote:
Don't act like you're not because you ******** are. We're both assuming something...however, my assumptions are based on what's been reported, whiles your's is based on a preconceived notion that if someone is taken into custody, that they must have done something wrong.

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure what sources you have, but I'd bet they're not especially reliable...

Maybe not completely reliable, but still more reliable than basing an opinion on nothing but gut feeling...

Quote:
Quote:

Not necessarily, especially when we're talking about a company with such a public face as the WWE, who decides that trying to bribe a cop, which Cameron had absolutely no rational excuse for, is not a serious infraction (even though it's a felony), but a misdemeanor with a pretty plausible excuse is grounds for termination? ...Yeah...THAT makes the company look bad, as can be seen by HOW PEOPLE RESPONDED TO THE STORY.

Fair enough point, I suppose.

Quote:
Quote:
For example, I am in a position of authority at my job. If someone's breaking rules, and just not up to snuff for our operation, it's my job to tell them so. I do at least try to have some level of empathy, just so I'm not seen as an a*****e, but the fact is, if someone's going to get fired, I can't let emotional empathy cloud this judgment. I can not let "But he needs this job. gonk " or other such emotional appeal, force me to allow an inadequate employ continue to be inadequate.

You're talking about performance...the situation here had nothing to do with her performance in the ring or on the job.

Quote:
A more accurate analogy would be not calling into work to let them know you had to take your wife to the emergency room, and getting fired over it. The person is still in the wrong, but it's not like they were intentionally trying to do anything wrong.

Quote:
Quote:
I believe there's a difference in importance to the company. Swagger was heavily involved in a storyline for Wrestlemania, that probably couldn't be changed by that point. Cameron was a Funkadactyle for Brodus Clay, who was being pushed at the time. She also probably ******** somebody backstage, or something. I don't know.

Brodus wasn't being pushed at the time. It was because she was a Funkadactyle...and it's not like WWE hasn't changed their minds on storylines in the past...so why they felt Swagger, who had had a history of behavior problems before, deserved a push in the first place is questionable.

Quote:
..and why they didn't scramble to replace him so that they weren't putting a DUI offender in a main event position is another.

See above.

Quote:
Quote:
Emma....has no significance, whatsoever, at this time. Especially with her partner having just suddenly retired, making her significance even less. She has nothing going on for her, at this time. She's completely expendable.

She was actually scheduled for TV time before she was arrested that night.

Quote:
In fact, she was still showing up on TV, and Santino hadn't retired at the time....he did that well after the fact. But that is all IRRELEVANT. It wouldn't matter if she were being used or not, the punishment did not fit the supposed crime, especially when it was such a hasty decision from the WWE...

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

Quote:
Quote:
Shoplifting does not necessarily require intent. Shoplifting is merely the physical act of leaving a store with merchandise not paid for. I believe this includes accidentally.

I'm not so sure about that, but I don't know what the law states...either way, you are still assuming that she did it intentionally, when everything that's been said about it indicates the otherwise.

Quote:
Quote:
One question: How do you forget you have an item with you, if it's with all your other, paid for, merchandise? This suggests it may have been placed elsewhere. Presumably out of view...

I already explained a plausible scenario above, but to rehash: Hypothetically speaking, she decided not to grab a cart or basket because she wasn't getting much. She picked up the item first, and put it in her purse (not hiding it, just as a place to hold it while she kept doing her shopping. My mom does the same thing).

Quote:
She continues shopping, forgets that the item is in her purse (and maybe she doesn't keep her money in her purse, but in a pocket), pays for the other stuff, gets stopped at the scanner, and realizes she still had it. And it doesn't necessarily have to be a purse...she might have just put it somewhere on her person and forgot that she still had it. It's not entirely implausible.

Quote:
Quote:
And that's exactly why I didn't.

You are though...you are outright dismissing her alibi because it came from a person chosen to represent her in court...that right there is you deciding that she's guilty.

Quote:
Quote:
Not at all true.

Yes...it is true. Cause it wouldn't matter if she were a diva or a dental hygienist. If this happened to anyone, I would disagree with what the employers did.

Quote:
Quote:
Entertainment value DRIVES pro-wrestling. Someone who's not entertaining, is not a valuable asset to the company. And by that token, expendable. If Ziggler were caught doing something wrong, WWE would probably work hard to keep him in the clear, because they have investments in him. He makes them money. He's valuable. Emma....isn't.

So what you're advocating is that people who are valuable to the company can get away with murder....I'm sure Nancy Benoit would disagree...

Quote:
Quote:
From who?

I'm not talking strictly about people who reported it, but the general feel from the public (which, in this case, is mostly wrestling fans) is that this was not a good move on behalf of the company.

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
black_wing_angel
Not at all. My point is only that, just because her lawyer says it's "a misunderstanding", doesn't mean it is. It means he wants you to think it is. That's his meal-ticket. One's lawyer is not a trustworthy source for information.

Which is a fallacious argument. To just so easily dismiss the alibi because it came from her lawyer (who probably told her to keep quiet and let him handle the case) is a tad ridiculous. That's not an indication one way or another of her guilt.

Quote:
Oh, I can imagine it. But I don't think it would net such a drastic outcome, for a genuine "woopsie".

If she didn't grab a basket (cause she wasn't getting that much stuff), picked up the item first, then did the rest of her shopping and had the item on her person, and just forgot as she was going through the scanner...and then they stop her, question her, and THEN she remembers that she had that item...yeah, that could be a genuine mistake.

Quote:
So?

If you're going to knowingly steal something...why bother paying for any of it...especially, the majority of what you're getting. Shoplifters don't try to pay for much, if they pay for anything at all.

Quote:
...that we're aware of.

Which is easily verifiable...

Quote:
I'm not assuming anything. That's the difference, here. I'm assuming nothing. You're assuming something.

You are assuming something...you're assuming that she knowingly tried to steal a $20 item. Don't act like you're not because you ******** are. We're both assuming something...however, my assumptions are based on what's been reported, whiles your's is based on a preconceived notion that if someone is taken into custody, that they must have done something wrong.

Quote:
I'm not sure what sources you have, but I'd bet they're not especially reliable...

Maybe not completely reliable, but still more reliable than basing an opinion on nothing but gut feeling...

Quote:

Quote:
For example, I am in a position of authority at my job. If someone's breaking rules, and just not up to snuff for our operation, it's my job to tell them so. I do at least try to have some level of empathy, just so I'm not seen as an a*****e, but the fact is, if someone's going to get fired, I can't let emotional empathy cloud this judgment. I can not let "But he needs this job. gonk " or other such emotional appeal, force me to allow an inadequate employ continue to be inadequate.

You're talking about performance...the situation here had nothing to do with her performance in the ring or on the job. A more accurate analogy would be not calling into work to let them know you had to take your wife to the emergency room, and getting fired over it. The person is still in the wrong, but it's not like they were intentionally trying to do anything wrong.

Quote:
I believe there's a difference in importance to the company. Swagger was heavily involved in a storyline for Wrestlemania, that probably couldn't be changed by that point. Cameron was a Funkadactyle for Brodus Clay, who was being pushed at the time. She also probably ******** somebody backstage, or something. I don't know.

Brodus wasn't being pushed at the time. It was because she was a Funkadactyle...and it's not like WWE hasn't changed their minds on storylines in the past...so why they felt Swagger, who had had a history of behavior problems before, deserved a push in the first place is questionable...and why they didn't scramble to replace him so that they weren't putting a DUI offender in a main event position is another.

Quote:
Emma....has no significance, whatsoever, at this time. Especially with her partner having just suddenly retired, making her significance even less. She has nothing going on for her, at this time. She's completely expendable.

She was actually scheduled for TV time before she was arrested that night. In fact, she was still showing up on TV, and Santino hadn't retired at the time....he did that well after the fact. But that is all IRRELEVANT. It wouldn't matter if she were being used or not, the punishment did not fit the supposed crime, especially when it was such a hasty decision from the WWE...

Quote:
Shoplifting does not necessarily require intent. Shoplifting is merely the physical act of leaving a store with merchandise not paid for. I believe this includes accidentally.

I'm not so sure about that, but I don't know what the law states...either way, you are still assuming that she did it intentionally, when everything that's been said about it indicates the otherwise.

Quote:
One question: How do you forget you have an item with you, if it's with all your other, paid for, merchandise? This suggests it may have been placed elsewhere. Presumably out of view...

I already explained a plausible scenario above, but to rehash: Hypothetically speaking, she decided not to grab a cart or basket because she wasn't getting much. She picked up the item first, and put it in her purse (not hiding it, just as a place to hold it while she kept doing her shopping. My mom does the same thing). She continues shopping, forgets that the item is in her purse (and maybe she doesn't keep her money in her purse, but in a pocket), pays for the other stuff, gets stopped at the scanner, and realizes she still had it. And it doesn't necessarily have to be a purse...she might have just put it somewhere on her person and forgot that she still had it. It's not entirely implausible.

Quote:

You are though...you are outright dismissing her alibi because it came from a person chosen to represent her in court...that right there is you deciding that she's guilty.

Quote:
Not at all true.

Yes...it is true. Cause it wouldn't matter if she were a diva or a dental hygienist. If this happened to anyone, I would disagree with what the employers did.

Quote:
Entertainment value DRIVES pro-wrestling. Someone who's not entertaining, is not a valuable asset to the company. And by that token, expendable. If Ziggler were caught doing something wrong, WWE would probably work hard to keep him in the clear, because they have investments in him. He makes them money. He's valuable. Emma....isn't.

So what you're advocating is that people who are valuable to the company can get away with murder....I'm sure Nancy Benoit would disagree...

Quote:
From who?

I'm not talking strictly about people who reported it, but the general feel from the public (which, in this case, is mostly wrestling fans) is that this was not a good move on behalf of the company.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Rumblestiltskin
black_wing_angel
That's what her LAWYER says. You know, the guy who gets paid to get her off the hook. That's the only "detail" I've run across, that suggests it was a mistake. And given my own experiences with Walmart, they do not typically make such a big deal over "simple mistakes". She had to be doing something indicative of criminal intent, for them to get the cops involved.

And the fact that it was only $20 or so, changes nothing. Stealing is stealing. And I think a sentence of 1 day community service is exceptionally light, as it is.

And if this is a misunderstanding, what would you expect her lawyer to say? "Nope...she did it." ?

Quote:
And just because you've never ran into something like it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen, when we had someone in the thread explain that it does in fact happen. I've never had it happen to me either...because I don't forget to pay for stuff. But that doesn't mean I'm not able to imagine a scenario where someone forgets to pay for something.

Quote:
Let's not forget that she paid for the other stuff too!

So?

Quote:
This is also the only time she's ever had anything like this happen, so it's not like she has a history of kleptomania.

...that we're aware of.

Quote:
So I'm not going to immediately assume she's guilty...

Quote:
since that's not how our court system works, and all the things I've heard about the case indicate that it was just a mistake, and not attempted theft.

Quote:
Quote:
Cooperation may net a reduced sentence, but it does not invalidate an employer from choosing to sever employment over it. Especially when it may stain their family image.

I'm not saying they don't have the right to terminate their contract...I'm just saying that doing so shows a complete lack of empathy on their part, especially when this could all just be a misunderstanding.

And? Empathy typically hurts business, more than it helps. For example, I am in a position of authority at my job. If someone's breaking rules, and just not up to snuff for our operation, it's my job to tell them so. I do at least try to have some level of empathy, just so I'm not seen as an a*****e, but the fact is, if someone's going to get fired, I can't let emotional empathy cloud this judgment. I can not let "But he needs this job. gonk " or other such emotional appeal, force me to allow an inadequate employ continue to be inadequate.

Quote:
Quote:
And that's bad. But also WWE's prerogative on how to handle it.

I know it is...I'm pointing out that it is entirely inconsistent of them to keep people on the roster who committed worse crimes that they admitted to and fire the one who may not have intentionally done what she's being accused of.

Quote:
Quote:
Sure. She can be pissed about anything she wants to be. Doesn't mean she's right, or it's an innocent mistake. She shoplifted. She got busted. She got served the consequences. That's all there is to it.

You don't KNOW that she shoplifted (as shoplifted implies intent)...you are ASSUMING that she did.

Quote:
And maybe you just have more faith in our justice system than I do, but I don't immediately assume everyone who gets taken into custody was done so for the right reasons, especially when all the reports about the incident indicate something else. Also, while I don't necessarily trust cops, I don't think this one is entirely on them. I think this is more on Wal-Mart. Because if she forgot she had the item on her (which is what she's claiming),

Quote:
and only showing the things she bought, and then they find the item, that could be where the confusion is. Again, it's not like she has a history of this, because she doesn't. And I think that's a big part of it...if this were a more constant thing, MAYBE you'd have a point. But we can't immediately assume she's guilty just because she was taken into custody...because at that point, why the ******** would we even have trials...

Quote:
Quote:
And given that she's really not that important, or entertaining, I wouldn't be bothered if they hadn't hired her back.

Her being entertaining or not is irrelevant.

Not at all true. Entertainment value DRIVES pro-wrestling. Someone who's not entertaining, is not a valuable asset to the company. And by that token, expendable. If Ziggler were caught doing something wrong, WWE would probably work hard to keep him in the clear, because they have investments in him. He makes them money. He's valuable. Emma....isn't.

Quote:
I wouldn't have cared if this happened to Eva Marie...I'd still side with the person because it is a poor decision on behalf of the WWE. In fact, here's how dumb the decision was: they fired her because they wanted to avoid the negative press, but wound up getting (slightly) more negative press for firing her.

From who?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces