Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shirtless Receiver

I really like the Delta male lines!
spottedleef

How pretty!

I remember you saying that the person who did the betta sketches was on Wajas, If you even want to commish more sketches from them let me know, I have a lot of money on my account and I don't log on that much any more. :3 <3

Shirtless Receiver

Thanks so much, shadica! I may just do that in the future. smile

Wind-up Waffles

Hm, I haven't been on Wajas in ages. I never had that much, but what I have I'd offer if I can log in. :3

edit:
Hm. Can't seem to get in. It's been years... ><

Dangerous Hunter

Liking the new delta male. He's missing his pectoral fin though, poor guy.
You're welcome leef x3 <33
I have to agree with Laroa. The body and consistency of shading is good, but something still bugs me. The new deltas have fins with randomly-shortened spines, which makes them resemble feathers/ finrot.

Fem
Male needs his pelvic and pectoral fins

The different tail and fin types of betta splendens are dependent on length and spread of the rays, and the extent of the webbing between them. For example, even in the Crowntail shown below, the rays extending from the body are always straight, never frayed.

Normal Delta
Normal Crown
Hey guys, please be aware that two different people did the refined sketch/inking for the deltas, and the templates (which is what I did.) I would welcome constructive criticism and having problem areas circled or even redlined and I can see what I can do to put your concerns to rest, but as I am the templatist, not the lineartist or inker, your critique may be best directed at the sketches on the front page so these problems don't arise in the first place- especially for things such as missing fins.
Since you guys are all clearly big fans of the different breeds displayed here, you'll understand the body and fin shapes much better than we will; and, as a group, are probably the best people to help ensure we get it right. :] I can't speak for the inker; but I want to try to get things to look as close to what they should be as possible, even if that means tweaking finished work. I can say, however, that the inker is not a fish-keeper; so while leef may choose to pass on constructive criticism to her for the lines she has yet to ink, she is inking from the sketches she sees, rather than any knowledge of fish. Just... something to bear in mind, she is doing her best with what she has.

I am glad that you like the shading, though! <3 And I hope this post doesn't come off as pissy, not my intent. I just want you to understand that, while I want to do the best I can, there's only so much I can do.
Understood Ren. Thanks for the clarifications!
Hey Ren! How are you x3?

I had a dream last night where Iridescent got the same finrot hole in his fin that Verdent did :<<<<
I'm not dead yet. I hear that's a good start. xP

How is Iridescent doing?
That's good x3

He is doing good x3 he still freaks out a lot xD but he is eating and I got him a second plant and a hiding log so he's happy x3

Dangerous Hunter

I dont know if anyone would be interested or if the shop is happy with the current sketches but I may be able to get more anatomically correct sketches for the lineartist to work with. Just a thought based on the above comments.
I'd like to echo Laroa's sentiments. I know sometimes I type long posts and end up sounding bossy or something, but its just because I want to help. At the moment I don't have time to offer any artistic aid like inking or templating (and Ren is a great templatist so you've got that covered anyway), but I can help with sourcing reference images or scientific journals if needed. There's several species of wild bettas in the museum's collection so I can take photographs of their body parts as well (helps that they are dead and preserved... ><; )

Beloved Shapeshifter

I'm personally happy to see things rolling again. I'm trying to see where the problems are, all I see is pretty art of betta fish with different fin types. I know some of us are more intensely interested in specifics than others but as long as the information given in the thread is accurate does the way a line gets drawn on a representation of the fish really matter that much? Its art for fun and enjoyment not a reference drawing for a textbook.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff