Welcome to Gaia! ::

This is a novel that I just wrote about a month ago. Its the first in a series of 9 or more books, one story each from 9 different 16 or 17 year old girls of different backgrounds from each of the 9 planets in our solar system in my imaginary futuristic world. I'm working on typing it up, so here's the first 15 pages or so. I'll type up more soon. I consider these first pages essentially the beginning. Please give me feedback. Thanks. (Continuations will be throughout the thread x.x)

{Isabella, in Love}

January 28

Washed some sheets today.

Poppy said she misses you.

January 29

I'm sorry I was in such a rush yesterday. Her Highness Mary of the Blue Sky is having a Ball for her grandson, the Prince Gabriel. Poppy thinks he isn't much of a dancer. I think that's fine. No one's perfect. Not even a Prince.

January 30

The cows and sheep look cold out there. There's even frost on the windows. I sure hope they're warm enough.

February 1

Lily had a fever yesterday. I didn't get a chance to write.

Oh, Grandma...you'd love the decorations that are going up right now. Beautiful candles, candy in little bowls, all signifying the singular joy that is the Prince Gabriel's birthday. The Prince Gabriel himself said that he wished for every child to have a piece of candy, so that they may feel the joy that he has felt.

I must remember to snatch a chocolate-covered toffee for Lily. Poppy huffed that she is not a child anymore. A woman at 11 years old. I'll share a wink with you and grab a mint truffle for her. I'll put it under her pillow tonight.

February 2

Poppy was dancing around the bedroom today, sucking on the truffle to make it last, singing that a fairy left it for her. I just laughed and agreed with her. She's so cute with that bright red, curly hair. I just want to rub it against my face and kiss it. What was it you said, Grandmother, about Poppy's hair? That mother had a fire in her heart and that's why its such a brilliant red? It must be so!

Later

Twinkles fought another mouse. That makes nine. I really hope that there are no mice in the Prince Gabriel's room. I'm glad that Twinkles didn't show Lily. She'd have cried. But, somehow, I think Twinkles knows.

February 3

Washed windows with Marzipan. Not the food! The maid, Marzipan. She's new...she came after you passed on. I'm sure you can see her. She's a cutie. She's here from the North with her mother. Her father was an ice fisherman, going out in the rolling sea with ice all around. I'm sure he was very brave. Marzipan said that he died three months ago. A man came to their little house crying, with an armful of sacks with money for them. He advised them to head South.

She's so lucky that she's with me. I'll show he the ropes, okay, Grandma? I'm sure you would have made them your famous honeyed chicken from the Palace's own hives in welcome. Well, I hope they like potato and leek soup.

February 4

Spied the Empress Mary walking the snow sprinkled Low Gardens this morning. She had on her long light blue leopard cloak. The one you made. I smiled and quietly sneaked away. I was going to dust the snow off of the benches, but we must be discreet as to not disturb the natural beauty of the Palace as the Royal Family sees it.

The preparations for the Ball are coming along swiftly. The maids who will be chosen as servers will be announced any day. Poppy is bouncing around in anticipation, hoping that one of the servers will be her. I know that she is too young this year. Maybe another year. I think she knows that she won't be chosen, but the excitement is infectious and she likes to be a part of it.

She made my heart nearly stop when she turned around and pulled at my skirt, singing, "Sister will be chosen! I just know it!"

I hadn't thought about it, but I am 17 this year, old enough to be in the running. Am I pretty enough? Surely they will only choose the prettiest of us, to make a good impression on the guests.

February 5

Cook Teresa made samplings of the birthday cake contenders. She calls it "the War of the Petit Fours". Its cute to think of those little squares of cake duking it out. She reported that the Prince Gabriel seems to like the lemon sponge, but her Majesty seems to favor the strawberry layered chocolate. I hope its lemon.

I helped Marzipan light the fires for the Royal baths. We handed the brush to the stokers. They were making manly jokes, so I turned a deaf ear. To make such jokes in the presence of women!

Siobhan brought snow roses to the dormitory. They smell lovely. I heard from Robert the gardener, your old friend, that her mother had the same white blonde hair as her daughter. Is it true? Sometimes I wish that I knew all of the things you know. Siobhan really looks like a snow fairy, with her milk white skin and pale blue eyes the same color as a just frozen over stream.

February 6

I am breathless! I was in the Prince Tobias' room, fluffing the pillows how he likes and putting the warmer pan in the bed, when the Prince Gabriel walked in! Well, I just froze in my tracks of course! My heart just almost burst when he leaned over and retrieved the Prince Gabriel's favorite teddy bear from under the bed and gave me a small smile. He then left the room quietly.

I don't think I moved for ten whole minutes! Then I found myself and lit a small fire in the Prince Tobias' fireplace, put in place the fire screen, and fled in a lady-like way to the dormitory to write to you, Grandmother!

February 7

Marzipan said that she would have just about peed herself if that Prince Gabriel suddenly appeared before her like that. What a thing to say! I can tell that I have much to learn about Marzipan.

I think that Royals appearing out of nowhere is becoming a trend. Princess Daphne of the Rolling Green Meadows tapped me on the shoulder as I was delicately spreading snow rose petals on top of the calm water of the fountain in the Low Gardens. I tried not to jump out of my skin, because its rude to appear anything but content in front of the Royals. Even in front of Princess Daphne, our 16 year old curiously un-Royal acting young Princess. She wants only to be friendly to all.

"You are now off duty, Isabella!" she proclaimed and grinned at me. Her birthday celebration was the last one you attended. She wanted to have a snack with me and gossip. She said that there will be some very important special guests in attendance to the Prince Gabriel's Birthday Ball. I wonder who? She wouldn't give up any names, and I didn't beg, but she's giggly and excited.

As I look up at the stars and the sapphire marble of Earth, I try not to cry. Are you on Earth now, Grandmother? With Mom? Are you swimming?

Febraury 8

Lucy is back! She arrived this morning. She told me that her father is doing better. She bought him some fresh fruit and bread. She said he is so happy that she can live in the Palace, where you don't have to worry if the bread you're eating is molded, or if the fruit you have just consumed had worm eggs. I know we are lucky.

She led Prince Tobias around the beach today for some exersize. The way she skipped and jumped around, I daresay the Prince Tobias will have a rather good night's sleep!

February 9

Lucy and Marzipan are becoming friends. I am happy.

February 10

Oh, today! Lucy and I have been chosen as two of the servers for the Ball! The Empress Mary herself chooses the servers for events! I am so very, very honored. Siobhan was also chosen. Marzipan wasn't, but I suppose she is not experienced enough yet.

We are to start our special training immediately.

February 12

Drills, drills, drills! Presentation drill, serving drill, plate change-over drill, wine top off drill, so many! Of couse, the part I look forward to the most is the part after dinner. Watching the beautiful flowing dresses of the ladies as they dance around the ballroom; the graceful steps in the satin and leather shoes the ladies and the men. The glittering jewels and pearls. Ah, and to think that I will be among them!

However, I do not fool myself into wishing that I could belong among them, like some of the maids do. Some did not originally come from proud maid stock like our family did, Grandmother.

February 16

I've been so tired lately because I must stand at attention while Mr. Antoine trains us. Have I been rude? I'm sorry, Grandmother.

The smell of jelly donuts was intoxicating this morning, wafting from the kitchen into the small dining area where we are training today. My mouth was watering so much that I kept swallowing. I think Lucy noticed. She pinched me and I yelped before I caught myself. This deserved a look from Mr. Antoine. I was redder than the strawberries on top of the ice cream we were practicing serving.

February 17

Princess Daphne whispered to me in passing that the invitations have gone out today. The save-the-dates were sent out six months ago, as is custom.

February 18

Marzipan and many other maids cleaned and buffed the ballroom floor today. Tomorrow they're going to steam and iron the curtains, a masterful feat for they are 30 feet long, going from ceiling to floor adorning the original to Palace full-length single pane wndows.

February 20

Recieved my uniform for the Ball. Its a beautiful tulle and silk dress, in black and white. There is a ribbon sash in green, to signify that we are servers. Green, of course, is the Prince Gabriel's favorite color. I want nothing more than to try it on! There is to be a dress rehearsal in about a week. I can't wait!

Lucy is worried that her bosoms won't fit into her dress. That one made me blush something awful, and she pinched me to snap me out of it. Both Lucy and Marzipan can be so unproper sometimes! It amazes me still how different girls who come from regular stock are.
Siobhan, the most proper of us all, was fingering the tulle of her uniform. Surely if she was doing that, then I am not so bad in my longing?

February 21

Shocked to my senses!

I was staying late to try to figure out how Mr. Antoine unfolds the napkins from crane to flat with a single flourish for guests, and I looked up and who was it?! Prince Gabriel leaning against the door, moonlight coming in shining on his porcelain-like face. Then he said four words: "Don't work too hard." The shock of seeing him so suddenly and those four beautiful words sent my very blood quivering. I tried not to show my dizziness. He left quickly after that, but I think I saw him smile again! I'm still trembling. I hope that Poppy doesn't feel the shaking of my body transferred in our bed!

The earth is particularly bright tonight. Are you happy, Grandmother?

February 22

A rare day off! Played in the snow with Poppy and Lily. Poppy is so cute. She was playing, rolling around making snow angels, then she suddenly stopped smiling, got up, wiped off her dress primly and said in a calm, controlled voice: "Apologies. I have forgotten myself." I just laughed and shoved her into a snow bank. I am proud to say that there are three little snowmen in front of the dormitory now, each one with my handwriting -or is it finger writing?- saying one of our names for each.

The Prince Tobias was out with Lucy, determined to make a little hill with which to sled on. Lucy wasn't worried. She said she knew that the Prince Tobias is such an energetic child that he would forget his hill making for another exercise. She was right! I was walking the path to the dormitory after supper, and saw another Prince Tobias-shaped snow angel imprint next to Poppy and Lily's.

February 23

Happened upon Lucy when she was in a handstand. Lucy comes from circus folk, did you know, Grandmother? She came here when her father got sick. She sends him money and food whenever she can. Lucy was 6 when she came here. Do you remember how she and I used to terrorize the dormitory? She taught me to cartwheel, too. She also tried to teach me how to belch on command, a task which I was too nervous to obey.

Getting better at the tiny steps which make me seem to float while holding a serving tray. There will be a presentation to start the serving of dinner. We come out from the opposite doors on either side of the bottom of the grand staircase. Usually these doors are so discreetly hidden into the woodwork of the ballroom that you wouldn't even notice them. It will be a surprise to the guests when we float in.

I practiced more when I got back to the dormitory. Poppy was so entertained that she started to copy me. She giggled that she was practicing for her turn. She's so cute.

February 24

Lucy and I were left alone in the ballroom today. Before I knew what was happening, Lucy started humming and grabbed my hands. She had me waltzing! She giggled at my red face.

"The ballroom is full of Royals and important people from distant lands. The sky is full of glittering stars and we can smell nori-wrapped rice with yummy fish in it. Everyone is full on chicken and prime steaks. The Duke of the Tranquil Deep Sea has gotten drunk on premium champagne and has vomited in the plant right over there. The maids are taking care of it, but not us though, because we're Princesses!"

This proclamation above our station made me so nervous that I stopped dancing, but Lucy just lifted me onto her toes and did the dancing for the both of us. She kept building on the story and finally had me laughing when we twirled and I got a shock! The Prince Gabriel was standing in the doorway of one of the secret doors! By the time I twirled around again, he was gone! Did I really see him? Before I could re-visit the thought, Princess Daphne was suddenly with us and it turned into a three person dance.

Lucy started doing a very weird dance indeed which involved her walking on her hands. "I invented this one in the Jungles of Zunu!" she exclaimed. There is no Jungle of Zunu. We just clapped and laughed. In the fun of it all, I forgot myself. I hope Princess Daphne doesn't tell too many people.

I wonder if I really saw Prince Gabriel? Why would he even have been there?

February 26

Marzipan and her mother went out shopping for the dormitory residents today. They brought us gifts! They brought candy for the kids and sandwiches for the rest of us. Marzipan was delighted, saying that the happiest she's seen her mother since her father died was today when the baker saw their uniforms and put whatever they wanted on the Palace's account charge. Her mother had started crying with happiness.

Marzipan says that the Palace and the village are so welcoming and secure feeling that she almost can't get used to it. It scares me to think that Marzipan came from a place where it was so unsafe. Thank goodness she's here now! I mean... I'm sorry that her father died. I don't mean to sound grateful that he died. It makes me sad because of the situation, but maybe somewhere out there, he's happy that his wife and daughter are safe? Maybe he's with you, Grandmother. That would be wonderful.

February 27

The Palace seems to be bursting at the seams today with anticipation. We did dress rehearsal today and Lucy's...bosoms... did fit. Of course they did, the seamstresses know all of our measurements, many of us since we were little because they've been making our uniforms since the day were appeared here. I know that you would have loved to help make the uniforms for the Ball, Grandmother. Or maybe you'd be making the Empress Mary's dress? You always did know what suited her best.

After rehearsal, Lucy came running with Marzipan in tow, yelling excitedly for me to come quickly with them. She took us by our hands and ran us to the ballroom's doors. She lifted a finger to her mouth and opened the door to the top of the staircase a crack. We could hear music within, and before our eyes were the Prince Gabriel and Princess Daphne dancing!

They were practicing a waltz. Prince Gabriel was double left-footed as ever. Princess Daphne was scolding him, saying, "you're my older brother and the Crown Prince, and you're so clumsy!" Sure enough, the Prince Gabriel stepped on her foot as if on cue. They both started laughing and my face went red. The Prince Gabriel's laugh...I can't even describe it. Its low, but not booming. I almost feel that I can hear bells in it, as strange as that sounds.

Anyway, at that moment, Princess Daphne scolded, "enough laughing! You know who's coming to the Ball! Onward!" and they started dancing again.

We watched for a while. Then Marzipan, whom I swear has her internal clock set around dinner, said it was time to eat. I look forward to seeing the Prince Gabriel dance at the Ball.

March 1

It is early in the morning hours, but I just had to write!

The presentation went smoothly, the guests were impressed. Dinner went smoothly, too. I was so proud of us servers. We were fluid in our movements. Everyone seemed to enjoy the steak and herbed chicken. Us servers took a short break during the speeches given by the Empress Mary's close friends. We ate dinner quickly and returned like we weren't even gone. Princess Daphne was giving a speech as we returned, and commented about how fine the champagne was tonight and warned the guests about over-indulgence. She did it in such a way that made the guests laugh. It makes me confident in her ability once again about how she has a part in representing the Empire.

Then came the dancing. The Empress Mary started off with the Prince Gabriel. It must have been what Princess Daphne was working with him for. He only stepped on his Mother's foot once. I was proud of him. I caught myself blushing and calmed myself. Blushing is not professional.

Here's the part I've been itching to write about. I was sitting on a bench, hidden away behind the staircase, when I felt someone sit beside me. Startled, I looked to my right and there was the Prince Gabriel!

"There you are!" he said. He broke into a warm smile. "Are you tired? I'm sorry. Its my birthday after all."

I was in such a state that I couldn't even respond. Not even a word! The Prince Gabriel really is kind. We just sat silently together for a small eternity. I think I was on cloud nine. Then I remembered myself and had to leave him. I politely excused myself in the most non-offensive way. I felt like the room was shaking and panicked for half a second, but then realized it was my heart thumping! I didn't need to remember how to float with the tray while serving the drinks among those still seated at the tables. I was already floating.

Today is a break for the servers, but I don't get to sleep in. Poppy and Lily will need help getting ready in the morning. That's okay, though. I don't think I could sleep anyway!
Grandmother, you said that the people of Earth once believed that there were Gods and Goddesses living on the Moon. From what I saw at the Ball, its all true.

Oh, that's right! The special guests were the Royal Family of the Red Jewel. The Red Jewel is of course Mars. They've been visiting on and off for years and I know their friendship runs deep. Their daughter, the Princess Drusilla of the Golden Fire, was openly flirting with the Prince Gabriel! To think that she is five years younger than he is, too! She kept cutting in on young ladies to dance with him. I must say, however, that she does manage to keep the Prince Gabriel dancing beautifully. You'd never even guess that anyone would dare say he's clumsy when she's with him. I can't shake this burning feeling I get when I think of them dancing. It disturbs me.

Later

Some of the guests have stayed over. Some to nurse hang-overs, some to stay as extended guests. The Duke of the Tranquil Deep Sea is here, of course. He fell asleep under a table, using table linen as a blanket. Two of the house keepers carried him to his usual room, which is an admirable feat because the Duke is quite a large man.

Among the extended guests are the Royal Family of the Red Jewel. The Princess Drusilla had her own suite next to Princess Daphne's. I haven't seen the Princess Drusilla today, but Marzipan did. Marzipan was assigned to light the fireplaces and turn-down service in her suite. The Princess Drusilla encountered her in the hall. Marzipan froze in her tracks and curtsied, avoiding eye contact. However, Marzipan did dare peek at her while she passed and the Princess Drusilla smiled sweetly at her! Later, right before we went to bed, Marzipan relayed this story to Lucy and Lucy said, "I hate it when the enemy is nice!"

Enemy?

March 2

Along with Princess Drusilla, the Empress Amelia, the Emperor James, the Prince Julian, and the little Prince Thomas are staying here. Prince Cary is studying on Venus and couldn't even attend the Ball. I'm sure that if you were here, Grandmother, you would miss him. I know that you favored him when he was a little boy. I hear that he is enchanted with plants and wants to study them from the purple climbing helio... something vines of Mercury to the yet unknown species on the distant coments. I'll have to ask Robert what the name of that climbing plant is. I think its pretty, but it could never survive here. Its not hot enough.

Lucy has her hands full looking after Prince Tobias and the Prince Thomas. They're the same age and apparently being "little Royal terrorizers". They were trying to climb the curtains in the main hall, claiming they were mountaineers.

The Empress Mary was in the meeting with the Empress Amelia and the Emperor James all day. I hope things are okay.

March 3

Attended Princess Daphne while she and the Princess Drusilla ice skated on the man-made pond in the Middle Gardens. They mostly held hands and spun each-other around, laughing, trying to get one another to fall down. It never occurred to me before, but they look alike. They both have black, curly hair and snowy white skin, like two living porcelain dolls. They could be sisters.

Cook Teresa came out with piping hot cocoa for them. She slipped me a little macamadamia nut truffle. These truffles, I learned, were made for the Gentlemans' Room, where they apparently smoke cigars and eat chocolates.

Spied Twinkles by the pond. He was pawing at the ice. No fishies for him to stare at until spring.

The Royal Dog Walker, Matthew, was out with the Empress Mary's collies, Sugar and Coconut, and the Royal Family of the Red Jewel's dobermans pinschers. There are four adult dobermans and three cute little puppies. Since you have left us, Grandmother, Matthew has taken over his father's duties. He now not only walks the dogs but attends to their training as well as their feeding and play needs. In fact, I think he does everything but groom and see to them medically. His father is very proud and pleasantly retired. Matthew waved to me, accidentally shaking the leashes connected to Sugar and Coconut, causing them to run feverishly. It was funny watching him regain control.

March 4

The Princess Juliet of Jupiter is having a party in a week. Do you remember her, Grandmother? She's Princess Daphne's best friend. Princess Daphne and the Princess Drusilla are going to Jupiter for the party. Actually, the Princess Juliet is now just the Princess of the lower left quadrant, now called New Goldenland. This is the result of the recent truce between the four tribes of Jupiter. I'm so glad their war is over. It ended a few months after you went into your long sleep before you passed. Now the Princess Juliet's brother, King Arnold, as he's now known, is the King of the Silver-Truth, which is the new name of the lower right quadrant. The former Baron of Orange is now the King of the Emerald Grasses, the upper left quadrant. The peasant uprisers of the upper right quadrant have elected their own official as their ruler, whom the Queen Millicent of New Goldenland gave the title of Lord when the treaty was signed.

I'm somehow glad that their Lord doesn't get to have a Royal title endowed upon him. He was such an awful man. I hear he was the General of the Queen's army before all of this. There is a rumor going around that there was a conspiracy to assassinate the former Baron of Orange, ordered by him supposedly. Is that what started the war?

March 5

Marzipan excitedly told Lucy and I just before bed that she was helping pack for Princess Daphne and she got to handle a new necklace that was a gift from the Empress Mary to her daughter just for the occassion of the Princess Juliet's party. She says its a fully 24-karat gold, 60-inch vine of leaves that is wrapped around the neck many times and then cascades beautifully down Princess Daphne's party dress.

The Royal Jeweler, Mr. Valeria, explained to her with a wink that it was made in honor of the recent formation of New Goldenland, and that all of the guests at the Princess Juliet's party will be wearing only gold jewelry. He also said that the King Arnold's wife, now the Queen Makoto of the Silver-Truth, and former Princess of the Heavenly Aquamarine -also known as Neptune-, is going to be wearing mostly silver jewelry to honor the formation of the Silver-Truth, and the Princess Juliet will be wearing silver earrings, to symbolize that she will always have her ears open to the opinion of the Silver-Truth. She is also wearing an emerald ring set in 24-karat gold to symbolize the truce between the Emerald Grasses and the New Goldenland. She has nothing to do with the new military-ruled upper right quadrant, so she will not be wearing anything to symbolize her Kingdom's truce with them. They are the Queen Millicent's business.

Mr. Valeria knows everything about jewelry. He has family all over the galaxy. I wonder if you knew that, Grandmother? Ah, what am I saying, of course you did! Mr. Valeria is very proud of his niece, Charlotte, who is now the first Royal Jeweler of the New Goldenland.

March 6

The Prince Julian of the Red Jewel was walking along the beach today. According to Lucy, he was digging in the snow along the beach looking for sea glass. I wonder if he likes to study them? Or maybe he likes to look at them?

The Prince Gabriel was in the library today, also according to Lucy. He was studying the family tree, apparently.

Lucy really gets around. I suppose one would when one runs after two rambunctious little Prince terrors all day.

March 7

Roasted chicken with pineapple sauce for dinner today. Why did I comment on that? Because Marzipan spoke of nothing else all day. Its her favorite.

I held your single pearl in my hand today for a while. Great-Great Grandmother Nadine gave it to Great-Grandmother Anna, who got it from her mother, who got it from her mother, and so on, for our family arrival on the Moon so very many generations ago, right? I could just feel the history in my fingers. I wish I could turn it into a pendant, but I am too afraid that I could lose it. I will give it to my daughter when I have one. I promise.

March 8

The Prince Julian joined a game of snowball fighting with the two little Princes of terror today. He asked Lucy to join the Prince Tobias' team. Lucy said that she blushed so hard that she would have melted the snowballs before they hit her face. I assured her that I would have been blushing, too. Maybe maid and workers of the Castle on the Red Jewel are treated in much more of a familiar way by the Royal Family of Mars?

March 9

Lily and Poppy were with Robert the Gardener today. They were "helping" him plan the color and flower coordination for the Low Gardens. I say "helping" because they were more just making flower crowns for Princess Daphne's return out of some of the samples. Robert taught them. He is such a nice man.

Siobhan joined them and secretly made them orchid corsages. They're wearing them now, as they sleep. They were little fairies in the garden today, weren't they, Grandmother? They're such precious darlings.

March 10

Made Lily's hair into braided pigtails today. Her bushy straw colored hair was so lovely feeling in my hands. Its a shame that I had to make her hairstyle so quickly. I tried to make Poppy's hair to match, but she said that pigtails are for little girls. Lily stomped her foot and crossly argued that they are not, and made me wear pigtails in protest. Poppy looked at me in horror. I just giggled and suddenly gathered them both in a hug. They shrieked and mock-pushed me to be let out of it. I told them that they are precious to me and they gave me two giant kisses each. I kissed them both on their foreheads and sent them to do their small chores.

Lucy tugged gently at my pigtails and said that they make my small heart-shaped face especially cute. I blushed and she pinched my cheeks, bouncing up and down, exclaiming my adorableness.

March 11

Terrible! Horrible!! I don't know how to begin! Everyone in the Palace is in a horrified panic! I can still hear people running around and hurried voices as they quickly come up and down the dormitory hallway and rush outside my window.

The Lord of the upper right quadrant of Jupiter attacked the Palace of the Royal family of Jupiter during the Princess Juliet's party! It happened just an hour ago! One of the Empress Mary's attendants ran out of the Palace, begging me to take Poppy and Lily to bed so that they wouldn't have to be among the pandemonium and hear of this terrible news. I put them in mine and Poppy's bed. Lily complained that it was 2 in the afternoon, but before I could say anything, Poppy explained to her little sister that it was like a vacation and they could pretend they were owls, who sleep during the day. I was so proud of her. I don't yet know many details. I pray that everyone is safe, but no one knows many details yet. I anxiously await news.

Later

King Arnold was murdered!

Marzipan was with the Empress Mary when the Head of Royal Security rushed into her chambers and tried to relay the news of the attack as properly as he could. He couldn't get two words out without choking up, though. Marzipan said that the Empress Mary just stood there in shock for a long while. Marzipan didn't know what to do. The attendant who told me to protect my sisters ran out at the moment. Marzipan, alone with the Empress Mary and now weeping Head of Royal Security, broke the silence by suggesting to lead them to the Empress Mary's tea room and making them some nice tea. The Empress Mary said that would be lovely and they followed her.

Marzipan, standing at attention lest their cups need a top off or anything at all, heard the Head of Royal Security explain the following:

The Royal Family of the New Goldenland, along with Kind Arnold, Queen Makoto, their darling little daughter, Princess Miu, their son the Prince Midori, and and the former Baron of Orange with his wife the Baroness Miao-Miao, were all in attendance of the Princess Juliet's party. The Princess Juliet's friends along with the Princess Drusilla and our Princess Daphne were opening presents with the Princess Juliet, when the Royal Security of New Goldenland heard a strange sudden whistling.

Before anyone could even react, their blood ran cold as death as hundreds of flaming, rocket powered arrows flew over their heads like angry hornets. This is the former General of the Goldenland's signature attack.

Their mouthes hung open in the beginnings of screams as the arrows rained down in the Royal Golden Garden. The first guests hit didn't have time for even that as the arrows exploded wherever they pierced flesh and all around them.

The Head of Royal Security completely broke down when he said this, dropping his tea cup accidentally. Marzipan didn't even move from her position next to the curtain to mop up the fallen tea and shards of china because she didn't want to chance breaking their concentration. The Head of Royal Security partially composed himself after a small while, and the Empress Mary, seeing this, put her shaking hand on his forearm and said in a voice that sounded as pale as her face, "And my daughter? What of my daughter?"

The Head of Royal Security said that she had fled into the most inner chambers of the Royal Home along with many of the not badly injured guests. Unfortunately, the Head of Royal Security reported, there weren't many. He went on to say that at this moment the Royal Family of the Red Jewel were being informed of the attack, and that their daughter is safe as well. Apparently she, Princess Daphne, and the Princess Juliet were sitting in a marble gazebo in the most honored positions of the party and miraculously the gazebo took the attack for the three of them. The gazebo crumbled as the arrows that hit it exploded and they fled screaming in the direction that the arrows weren't coming from. This part of the account came from Princess Daphne herself. She's currently being treated for minor burns and will be quickly transported home along with the Princess Drusilla and the Princess Juliet.

As the arrows rained down, he continued, King Arnold jumped in front of Queen Makoto and their daughter, the Princess Miu.

The Head of Royal Security started shaking as he said this. The Empress Mary was crying at that point.

The arrows pierced King Arnold all over and exploded. "The...the King's head...the King's h-head!" the Head of Royal Security moaned and covered his eyes so that the Empress Mary wouldn't see him cry. "The Lord towered over the cowering Queen Makoto and her daughter, severed the King's head clean off, and held it by the hair. He...he waved it threateningly at Queen Makoto. No one heard what he said but Queen Makoto and her daughter. He advanced on them and they shrieked in terror. Miraculously, he left them after that, unharmed by his blade."

Marzipan recited this part which she swears is as close to his actual words as possible. She said it as important to do so.

She went on to say that the Lord's army allowed the Queen Makoto and her daughter to flee and they suddenly boarded the Royal Family of the New Goldenland's private craft to Neptune. She fearfully said that the Prince Midori has been captured by the Lord's army and no one knows what happened to him. He is the King Arnold's heir, and became King of the Silver-Truth as soon as his father was murdered as is their custom. If he dies, I sadly write, the little Princess Miu will become the immediate heir. She's only four! The Prince Midori is only thirteen! My scared heart shakes for them all, for all of them on the Royal grounds of the Goldenland.

She said that the Lord's army retreated once the Prince Midori was captured, leaving many, many dead and dying. When the Royal Security of the New Goldenland approached the Royal Garden, the first thing they noticed was the nauseating smell of burning flesh. The second thing they noticed was the absence of screams.

They were met with the most devastating sight in the history of even the Goldenland as a whole. Many of the security officers just dropped to the ground and wept, unable to move be the sight. The braver ones walked among the mass of unidentifiable remains, the sea of pink and blackening flesh of the burning bodies. The grass was squishy with a mud of blood and dirt. They knelt over the ones who were still moving and dragged them to safety, for some of the arrows were still unspent.

Out of 350+ guests, over 250 lay dead or dying in the Royal Golden Garden. The Head of Royal Security said that his informer picked up a dying baby and arranged it in its dead mother's arms. Another friend laid his body over his decapitated wife, who was attending the the Princess Juliet that day and just lost it.

At this point, the Empress Mary was on her feet, her face and the front of her dress wet with tears, holding the Head of Royal Security's shoulders. "If my daughter is safe, Harold, you may rest," she said quietly and with dignity.

The Head of Royal Security bowed his head and left the room honorably.

Marzipan found herself left alone with the Empress Mary quite suddenly. Neither moved for a long while. The Empress Mary stood, staring at the Head of Royal Security's chair. She found herself quietly and whispered, "You may be excused, Marzipan."

After Marzipan told me all of this, we sat on Marzipan's bed, letting it all sink in. We held hands like scared children, relying on the other's silent touch as comfort.

March 12

More news from the New Goldenland. News is radiating around the Palace, servants unashamedly talking aloud. Those with relatives who work in the Royal Family of the New Goldenland's home are becoming infamous for information, as their families and family friends send them more and more news.

No one knows where the Prince Midori is. He must be so, so scared. My heart goes out for the poor child. His mother and sister are safely enroute to Neptune, the Heavenly Aquamarine's Air Force met them enroute for protection.

The former Baron and Baroness rushed back to their new country, to console the people and protect their land from possible attack. The Queen Millicent was in her private prayer room all day, asking not to be disturbed. She has sent the Princess Juliet to our Palace for protection. Its a good idea, because if King Arnold was murdered, what of the Princess Juliet? There is no news of the people of the Silver-Truth. The three Princesses are enroute to one of the Royal Air Landing Strips. No one knows which one. I assume this is for security reasons.

I hope that since it takes so long to get here, that maybe we will have some warning of an attack...heaven forbid.

I sent Poppy and Lily to play with the dogs today so that they wouldn't hear the news and rumors. Matthew took good care of them. Poppy said that she thinks she likes the dobermans best. Lily said that she petted Sugar and Coconut for hours. She said they rolled over and moaned in satisfaction. Matthew said Lily could make a fine dog trainer.

Poppy and Lily's ignorant happiness breaks my heart. I truly wish I could be happy with them.

I'm so glad that you don't have to experience this, Grandma... but I also selfishly wish you were here with all of my heart. I know that you would hold the three of us close and put all of this on your own shoulders, protecting all of us from this horror.

I'm crying too hard, Grandma. My head is starting to hurt. I'm going to go to bed now, okay? I'm sorry.

March 15

The death toll is rising on Jupiter as many of the survivors' wounds are becoming infected and they pass on. The first of the dead are being prepared for burial. The army of the New Goldenland walked among the chaos of bodies still in the Royal Golden Garden to remove any surviving articles of clothing, jewelry, anything that could identify a person.

The Queen Millicent was presented each item grimly, identifying the possessions of her friends. This particular piece of information is always tearfully relayed with, "how can they do that to her?! She shouldn't have to do that! Not so soon after her son has died!" But if she doesn't do it, who will? Who else can identify her friends' cherished items and tell their families that their precious kin or friends were murdered? She is a brave, brave woman. I could not do it.

Everyone always wishes that they were royal. They all want to go on grand vacations, sail in luxurious yachts, have giant Balls held for them, all the nice things. I don't think they quite connect that when you are Royal that sometimes you must do terrible things, like send your boys and girls to war, see the wasted away faces of poverty stricken families that you cannot help, smell the burning bodies of your precious friends. This is why I am glad that we were born as servants, dear Grandma.

People are nervous to watch the night sky now. What if there is an attack, they say. I am not scared to look, Grandma. I know that you are watching us. Are you and your friends welcoming some of the unlucky ones? I hope so. Please make them something good to eat, and let them swim in the best seas. They need it.

I am crying again, Grandmother. I'm sorry.

March 16

The three Princesses arrived late in the afternoon. They were exhausted and went right to bed. Lucy remarked that Princess Daphne was holding the delicate chain of golden leaves in her hand. She said she could see a brown crust of blood on the shining gold.

Still no one knows where the Prince Midori is, nor do they know where the newly referred to as the Lord of Terror is. I shudder to recall that I called the cute, innocent little Princes Tobias and Thomas the Princes of Terror earlier in these pages, how I used the word "terror" so lightly. I know the true meaning of it now.

Many of the brave souls of the Military of the New Goldenland are searching for the Prince Midori and his captors. Others are watching the airports for them, scanning and checking every person who wishes to flee Jupiter for other worlds. I hear that some of them are coming to our land. Preparations are being made in the cities. I hear that many refugees will be offered work and shelter in the countryside.

Lucy said that her father has offered to open his house to them. She also said that his is scared for his dear Lucy, but that he is proud of her for being brave enough to stay at the Palace in such times.

This gives me pause. I never thought that maybe my friends would leave to be with their families in distant parts. I feel selfish and ashamed wanting to keep them close. I know that you would comfort me, Grandma. You would say that everyone needs their own comforts, even me. I know that if any of my friends leave that I can still contact them and that they may come back. I love them so much.

March 17

I was washing the windows of the main hall today. When I was working on one of the windows that frames the main doors, I looked out at the garden beyond. This made my mind wander to the horror, and I started to cry. I dropped my cloth and cleaning agent and then dropped to my knees, imagining the attack unwillingly.

Suddenly I felt an unfamiliar touch on my shoulder. I whipped around.

It was the Princess Drusilla.

"Don't cry," she said. I could see that her eyes were glassy. "Don't cry. You're safe here."

I guess she knows that news of the attack is on everyone's lips and in everyone's minds.

I took her hand and apologized to her. I apologized about everything, the words flowing out of my mouth like the tears were flowing out of my eyes. I apologized that she had to see that horrible day. I apologized that she couldn't enjoy the party. I apologized that her friends and family were hurting. I apologized about being jealous that she is so close to the Prince Gabriel.

She just offered me a small, sad smile and cupped my face with one of her small, lady-like hands for a moment. A warmth washed over me and I dried my tears. We stood there for a moment, then she nodded and quietly floated away.

March 18

It is the early morning hours. Blue light is slowly entering the room. I look at the first flowers that have sprouted in welcome of Spring that Siobhan brought in. They're called Dragon Mists, because their petals are arranged in such a way as to look like the white smoke that comes from these legendary beasts' mouthes.

I had a dream last night. I was flying. All I could see all around me was the blue sky. I couldn't even see the ground. I flew for a while, propelling myself in the air by small jumps. I then felt something coming up upon me. I turned my head to see, but there was nothing but blue sky all around. Then I felt the pokings. My body began prickling with the feeling of many fingers touching my body. I seemed to open a second set of eyes at that moment and saw them: bleeding, decapitated corpses, body parts turning to pink and brown pulp, falling away from their bodies as they smiled and grinned at me. As the mob embraced me, I awoke with a start.

I looked around the room frantically. I noticed that I was breathing too hard and held my head in my hands to calm myself. I stared at Poppy beside me for a long while. I touched her small shoulder blades, then got a creepy feeling and drew back. I stared around the room for a while. Then I carefully got up as not to disturb Poppy and checked on Lily. I touched her sweet hair. I got a chill from where I don't know, and sat down to write to you, Grandma.

I am so scared, Grandma. Please help me. Help me. Help me, please... Help me protect these two precious little girls. Help me comfort my friends. Help me to find the strength to even look at the poor, poor refugees of Jupiter without thinking of that horrible day.

Please. I beg of you.

March 19

The Empress Mary is going to hold a Benefit for the refugees who are just now starting to arrive on our shores. She is holding it with the Empress Amelia and the Emperor James jointly. I know I keep saying that people are brave, but many are brave right now. I think it is especially brave of them to hold a Benefit so soon after the Horror, as it is now becoming known. The Empress Mary has strictly instructed that it is not to be a party-like atmosphere. She didn't have to tell us that. I don't think that anyone is up for a party. I can't help thinking that thank goodness that it isn't near anyone's birthday. Its a sobering thing to think about in these somber times.

I heard that the Empress Mary and the Emperor James have sent their condolensces to the Queen Millicent, and their offer of militarial support on this matter. I hope it gives her at least a small comfort.

Later

I have to tell you this, Grandmother.

I was in the Low Gardens, standing at the fountain in the middle. I didn't even hear the snow crunching of a person walking the path to the fountain. I was too deep in thought.

I heard their weak sigh and started silently. I looked up, and it was the Empress Mary! I froze in place, hoping she'd think I was a statue, for it was so dark. I only recognized her by silouette. I will always recognize our beloved Empress.

Luckily, she didn't notice or see me, and sat down on a bench. Your bench, Grandma! I could see that her movements were dragging and soaked in sorrow.

My heart gasped silently when she began to speak softly to herself. I wanted to wish myself away. But, what she said, as my ears adjusted to her sounds, shocked me to my core.

"I'm so sorry," she spoke. "I'm so sorry it has to be this way. I need your help. I need you to hold my hands. I need you to cup my face and stare into my eyes and bring me to Earth."

'Earth?' I thought.

"Why did it happen?" she started crying, I could hear it in her voice. She started to take long, gasping breaths in her sorrow.

I then noticed that I recognized this silouette even further. She was wearing the blue leopard cloak you made for her.

"My sweet Sapphire," she wept. "I love you. Please come back. I need your warm body next to mine. I need your soft, probing kisses. I'm so lonely and full of fear."

Her sobbing become so hard that I thought she'd speak no more, but after a long while she spoke one last thing. This curious, mysterious thing.

"At least you left me this bench."

Then she seemingly composed herself and walked away back where she came with purpose.

Grandmother? ... What was your relationship with the Empress Mary?
it is really moving
joe88510
it is really moving
Thank you. I'm going to type up some more soon. I decided the theme of this novel would be grief before I wrote it. Each novel has a particular theme it explores.
i am gonna keep reading it
joe88510
i am gonna keep reading it
Thank you ^.^ I'm going to type up some more now. I also intend to type up some of its sister novels soon. I'm currently working on three more of them.
okay, take your time , i'd always be here waiting for your novels
New content starting at the "March 12" entry.
Reading this now, it sends shivers up my spine that the "horrible disaster" that takes place in this novel took place on March 11.
CONTINUATION

March 21

Lucy was juggling Polly and Lily's stuffed animals today. Then, still juggling, she laid down and threw them one at a time at her feet and kicked them each, completing the circle. I think she does this to practice her composure, because juggling takes some level of concentration.

It is now coming out just how many of the Galaxy's well known titled class were present at the Horror. Some of the names are coming out, others are noticably missing. Its dawning on me just how big of an impact the Horror has impressed on the Galaxy as a whole.

Grandma, I've been thinking about you and the Empress Mary. Whatever your relationship was, I'm glad that you can help the Empress Mary through all of this. It makes me see the world in a strange new light, the way that the Empress Mary and I are both relying on your strength.

Later

Lucy told me that her father has taken in a large family from the Lord of Terror's quadrant. The mother is making him nutritious meals. This causes Lucy to have some relief about her father's health. I am glad.

March 22

The Benefit was held today. It consisted of a large audience with the Empress Mary, the Empress Amelia, and the Emperor James. Many of the Moon's most successful were there. They sat in three ornate chairs, giving speeches and answering questions. The questions were not too personal, which is a relief.

Marzipan was attending the three of them, supplying them with tea and water. She said that it seems like the Empress Mary has taken a liking to her since that day.

It occurs to me that I haven't seen the Princess Juliet once. Perhaps she is in her suite in mourning? I know I would be if it were me.

We are all wearing skinny white ribbons with gold colored trim around our wrists in mourning and rememberance now. They were handed out for the Benefit, and the guests could buy their own, all proceeds going to the refugees. I know the ribbons were just for the Benefit, but I shall be wearing mine for a long while. I will take good care of it.

March 23

I heard that Prince Cary has been looking after the people of the Red Jewel since the Horror. I'm sure he is humble about the interuption of his studies to do this. He is brave.

March 24

Lucy says that the family of refugees her father took in are thinking of making the Moon their permanent home. Things must be more awful than we realize in their quadrant for them to make such an important decision.

It reminds me that the Prince Midori is still missing. I really hope he is safe, and everyone is full of hope for him.

I heard from Cook Teresa that Princess Daphne has been visiting often with Princess Juliet. Cook Teresa keeps trying to bring her food, cooking delicacies from Jupiter just for her. She brings them in and leaves them for her, but Princess Juliet barely touches them. Cook Teresa is so worried that the Princess Juliet is not getting enough to eat. Cook Teresa thinks of the things that none of us do. I don't think that many of us think very much of eating these days, and the Princess Juliet must be thinking of it even less.

Robert the gardener and Siobhan have chosen the theme for the Low Gardens this year. It will be yellow roses in honor of New Goldenland; grey shephard's cloak, a bush with skinny, long sharp leaves that are also soft like lamb's ear, for the Silver Truth; and shimmering green hedges cut in a circular, slightly maze-like pattern for the Emerald Grasses. They started work today to create it. I can still hear them at it in the distance.

Don't worry, Grandma. They were instructed not to touch any benches.

March 25

The Prince Gabriel has been spotted getting his hands dirty, helping with the digging up of the snow rose bushes in the Low Gardens. The snow rose bushes will be planted in one of the many greenhouses, waiting for next winter.

Lucy said she saw the Princess Drusilla watching him secretly from her suite. Her little brother and the Prince Tobias were trying to throw rocks at her window in play. They don't understand what's going on. They're too young. Lucy said that the Princess Drusilla didn't even notice them under her window. She just kept staring. Lucy know that the Princess Drusilla was watching the Prince Gabriel because whenever he went over to the water spout to the left of the Lower Gardens, the Princess Drusilla shifted herself in that direction, and then back when he came back.

Siobhan said that she went to the Princess Drusilla's suite to give her bedroom a vase of yellow roses, and the Princess Drusilla commented on how hard the Prince Gabriel is working. That's all Siobhan would say. She is such a lady.

Speaking of plants, Siobhan has put some chameleon tails in a vase between Poppy's and my bed and Lily's bed. Poppy and Lily love to poke them, because they change color and curl when touched. It has something to do with body heat, but Poppy and Lily swear its the fairies' magic. They hope that they get a little sprinkle whenever they touch the chameleon tails. It warms my heart.

March 26

Raining today. I remember how you loved the rain, Grandma. Went out in my raincoat with Poppy and Lily. I remember when you made us these raincoats last year. Lily's raincoat is too short for her now, and I'm sure Poppy will also need a new one by the end of the season. I will be sure to keep these raincoats of ours safe for a long time, just out of sentimentality. I know I will wear mine for many seasons to come.

The work on the Lower Gardens has been halted until the dirt dries from the rains. It looks unnaturally bare. The fountain is overflowing onto the overly saturated dirt.

I try my very hardest not to think about if this water were making the mud like human blood was in the Horror. It will give me even worse nightmares.

I can't even begin to contemplate what kinds of nightmares that the three Princesses must be having, or any of the witnesses and victims for that matter. I really don't want to contemplate it. Its too fearsome.

March 27

Fierce winds. Spring is coming fast. Twinkles was in the dormitory today. I picked him up from outside. He was standing on the ice of the pond with his face mashed against it, staring at the thawing out fish. The pond's ice must be getting a bit thin now for him, and I was lucky that he was only a few feet beyond the banks.

Lily was carrying him around upside down, his bushy tail in her face, his front paws practically dragging across the floor. He was wagging his tail, hitting her gently in the face with it, purring so loudly that I could hear him in the hall. Lily was giggling.

Later on, she and Poppy were wagging chameleon tails at him and he recoiled in shock whenever he touched one and it curled. He batted gently at the curls, mewing uncertainly.

He is such a big, nice, lovable cat. I hope that if he fathers kittens someday that they will be as nice and sweet as he is.

Heard that the Queen Millicent and her former Baron have teamed up in militarial forces in preparation for battle should it come to that, which it most likely will. Also heard that the Empress Mary is worried about sending troops, but is determined to help the New Goldenland and the Emerald Grasses.

March 28

The Heavenly Aquamarine has sent their most intimidating militarial might to the Silver-Truth. It is temporarily in their militarial control, as the Queen Makoto is the Prince Midori's mother. I suppose one should be calling him the King Midori now, but he is so young and so recently King that we keep referring to him in his former title.

Cook Teresa is relieved because the Princess Juliet is finally eating something that resembles a balanced meal. Princess Daphne keeps her company and reads to her to offer some comfort. I remember now that when the Princess Juliet's older brother was still a Prince and they used to visit the Palce that he liked to read to her. That was such a long time ago, before the War of the Four Lands. Before they knew that their top General was an evil murderer.

March 29

Lucy said that she saw the Princess Drusilla walking with the Prince Gabriel in the rain today. "Not too close or anything. Definitely not holding hands," she reported. She said they seemed to be talking to eachother, in deep conversation. Lucy speculated about the subject, everything from the Horror to deep, lovey feelings.

"It can't have been the Horror," she said. "They weren't somber enough for that."

"Nor can it be your 'deep, lovey feelings' speculation, because according to you they weren't showing that kind of body language," I offered.

Lucy was practically rolling on her bed with intense wonder. "Oh, what could it be, oh what could it be!" she wailed.

I offered a look of contemplation, but really, should we be so obsessed with their private conversations? I don't think we should really be.

March 31

The dirt has dried enough thanks to two days of blazing sun. The work has resumed on the Lower Gardens. The Prince Gabriel is still helping out. I wonder if he means to work all the way through it? It is a worthy cause, to be sure, and shows his support of the good people of Jupiter, but I worry that he works too hard.

April 1

Drizzling today. It was like the weather's private joke to us this April Fool's Day. The drizzle made it cold like Winter, but muggy like Summer. Heard the Empress Mary plans to hold a small ceremony and put the last shovel of dirt over the first yellow rose bush's roses. Also heard that a similar garden is going up at the Castle of the Red Jewel.

Cut the few matts out of Twinkle's lion's ruff. He didn't like it, but I bet he feels better now.

Lucy reports that the Prince Tobias and the Prince Thomas have invented a new game that they have dubbed "the pinching game". Its easy to guess what it consists of. They basically pinch eachother out of boredom, getting angrier and more bold with each passing pinch. Lucy said that it must be stopped.

The chameleon tails are losing their curlability.

April 3

Sorry about the last few days, Grandma. I was in a bad mood. There's just blow after blow these days in seems. Maybe I am noticing the things the military does more now because of the Moon's involvement with Jupiter, I don't know. A few days ago, the Empress Mary sent over the first of the troops to the Lord of Terror's quadrant to help the citizens remaining there with relief efforts. These troops were not anyone we know, but it is still sad to see the Empire's people go.

The Prince Midori has still not been found, nor has the Lord of Terror shown his face. People are fearing the worst.

The good news is that Lucy saw the Prince Julian enter the Princess Juliet's quarters. Lucy is so uexpectedly funny sometimes. She said, "that's so cliche. The two Julies becoming friends."

April 4

Matthew was running with the dogs today. The puppies are growing up. I watched them for a little while and then had to get back to my chores.

April 5

Princess Daphne debuted the first of her Spring wardrobe today. The prodominant colors are of course gold and white. A seamstress told Marzipan that Princess Daphne requested it to be so. Its hard to think of clothes right now, but I'm sure, Grandma, that you'd be thinking about clothing just about as much as Cook Teresa thinks of people eating.

April 6

Was in the kitchens with Cook Teresa way early this morning baking a little cake. Its Lily's birthday. She is 6 years old today. Poppy surprised her with a home-made set of wire bubble makers. I never knew she was so good at crafts! We ate the cake in bed this morning and blew soap bubbles all around the bedroom. It still smells like soap in here.

April 7

The first of the yellow rose bushes are up. The Empress Mary did indeed shovel the first bit of dirt onto the roots of the first one. It was a deeply meaningful ceremony. The few honored guests in attendance all cried.

I'm sorry if my expression of this ceremony is a bit bland. I'm trying not to cry.

April 8

The Prince Julian has started referring to the Lord of Terror as the "Lord of Turd". Much needed belly laughs all around.

April 9

It is nearing a month since. There will be a canle caremony for the victims, surviving and dead. The will be another at the 49th day mark. This is the Heavenly Aquamarine's custom. They believe that as spirits wander the places where they have died, they have 49 days to right their wrongs or finish their worldly business before they either go to heaven or are reincarnated. The candles and the smoke will help them find their way.

Siobhan made the Princess Juliet a yellow rose hair clip and by all accounts she is wearing it.

April 10

The Princess Drusilla was spied by Lucy leaning against the railing of the top floor's wrap around balcony. Lucy said that she appeared in deep thought. After a while, Princess Daphne pulled the Princess Drusilla away inside. Lucy says its curious.

Marzipan is spending more and more time attending to the Empress Mary. This is extremely good for her. It could lead to a promotion. I'm proud of her. Her mother questions her daughter in anticipation and both are excited about what it could mean for their future.

April 11

I just came back from the first of the candle ceremonies. According to a maid in the know, the Empress Mary asked the Princess Juliet if she wanted to speak to the people of Jupiter who were going to be in attendance this night. The Princess Juliet declined, which is understandable. She must be feeling a multitude of things.

The Prince Midori has still not been found. The military, the people, and the Queen Millicent of Jupiter are determined as ever. I hear they are going to begin looking underground. Unfortunately, Jupiter is the largest planet in the Galaxy. More people here are losing hope. However, I hear that on Jupiter its all flag waving and the people have their eyes peeled for them. Speaking of flags, the people of Jupiter have begun flying the old flag of Jupiter. The united Jupiter.

The white candles glowed in unison tonight, as if they were a voice, proclaiming: "we will not be trampled upon! Give us all you've got! We are as one!"

My bit of left over candle is safely in my drawer along with our pearl, Grandma.

April 12

Some of the names of the victims being released as one I recognize personally. I don't know what to do. I saw these people just almost two months ago at the Prince Gabriel's birthday party. I'm too disturbed to write anymore today, Grandma.

April 13

Lucy said that a little jar of sea glass has appeared in the Princess Juliet's living room table. She says its extremely curious, as we know the Prince Julian treasures sea glass.

April 14

Normally, at this time of the year the Prince Gabriel and his friends would take off for his Father's cousin's estate in the Tranquil Deep Sea region of the Moon, but he isn't this year. Letters of apology were sent.

Indeed, one of the Prince Gabriel's dear friends was in attendance at the Horror. He is the son of a prominent Judge on Mercury. He survived, but I imagine is in no condition to travel.

April 15

Princess Daphne wanted to walk with me today. I was glad. Its something she hasn't done for a while. Her face had an expression of sadness on it. It usually does these days.

In our casual conversation, she noticed that I say "the Empress Mary" and "the Prince Julian", etc. She asked me why. I told her that you, Grandmother, used to call the Royals with "the" in front of their titles. She put her hand on my shoulder, and told me that I don't have to use "the". She said that "the" was first used as a tool to distance the Royals from the common people a long time ago. Nowadays, the Royals want to seem closer to the common people, more familiar and friendly. She said it builds trust instead of mystery, in which mystery can be a very bad thing, breeding fear where there shouldn't be.

She said that she thinks I'm loyal to use the old way, but that I should try to be more casual. So I will try.

I picked her a sprig of Shepherd's cloak. She smiled and nodded her head. Then we parted.

April 16

Awoke to find that there are now long iron posts in the Low Gardens. They have spikes on top. It took me a bit to realize what they were. They're candle holders. Later today, there were large, thick white candles speared on top of each post. Siobhan informed me that the candles will burn until the end of the month in honor of the Heavenly Aquamarine's tradition. She said that this is what the Empress Mary wants instead of the lighting of the candles on the 49th day.

The candles line the path to the fountain. It has a really pretty effect.

April 17

Marzipan came running to me with a big smile on her face. She told me that Princess Juliet has been spotted outside of her quarters! Maybe she is doing better?

April 18

Was in the meadow with Lily. The meadow is blooming with little flowers in all kinds of colors. It has an effect of looking like a field of star candy. Do you remember star candy, grandma? You used to make it all the time for us. You'd put a bunch of little tiny bits of string in a jar, add what I thought was magic when I was little, and in not too long, there'd be small crystals of candy in there.

Lily was picking the blooms and making a bouquet, when out of nowhere Princess Juliet was there! She was looking at the sky, standing in the middle of the field, with a melancholy look.

Before I could do anything, Lily ran away from me! I called her name and ordered her to come back, but she skipped right up to Princess Juliet and pulled the skirt of her dress! Princess Juliet looked down at her with a blank expression. Lily gave her a big grin and thrust the bouquet at her!

By this time I was staring and speechless. I never knew Lily was this bold! For a moment, the suddenness of Lily's gesture hung in the air. Then Princess Juliet put her hand on Lily's head and accepted the bouquet wordlessly. I could see that her hand was shaking. The tiny blooms were quaking in her grasp. She left silently.

Lily walked over to the me, solemn and serious. "Isa? ...Is she sick?" she wanted to know.

I thought for a moment. Grief is a kind of sickness, I suppose. You get better or you don't get better, depending on the cause. It usually gets better with time.

I took her warm, little six year old hand in mine. "In a way," I said softly. "In a way."

April 19

Lucy's birthday! She had the day off so she decided to hang out with me while I did my chores. I made her some spaghetti and sweet breaded chicken for dinner, her favorite. Cook Teresa surprised her with a chocolate cake. We gathered around in her room and sang her "Happy Birthday". She was delighted.

Noticed Twinkles sleeping on her bed when I passed her room.

April 20

Twinkles was batting at the water of the pond early this morning. I creeped over to him to see what he was doing. He'd found a family of tadpoles! He didn't mean them any harm, I don't think. It looked like he was just playing. I bet there will be a lot of frogs around this summer.
I've started to hear song birds in the trees.

It seems like our moon is yearning for a new beginning. I hope it inspires everyone as much as it inspires me.

April 22

Prince Tobias and Prince Thomas have colds. Lucy had them in bed all day. She set up a small folding screen, much like what ladies go behind to change, and used these little paper puppets behind the screen to tell a story, with light shining behind them. The story was about a rabbit who gets too bold and steals carrots from a farmer over and over again from a farmer and gets caught as a family pet.

I was surprised by her creativity. I asked if she invented the method herself, and she giggled.

"No way!" she said. "Its been used for thousands of years. In fact, my Dad said that they used to use it in the circus when they did acrobatics. They even used to get behind a curtain and pile on top of eachother in such a way that it looked like they were a very convincing object, like a giant horse or a roaring fire!"

I am amazed! I wish I could have seen it. Maybe some day.

April 23

A ballet troupe is visiting the Palace today. I hope they bring some merriment to the Royals who will be in attendance to their performance later on.

April 24

Prince Tobias and Prince Thomas are doing better, but are not quite recovered. Cook Teresa brings them lots of hot soup. She said that Prince Thomas always leaves the green onions.

April 25

Cloud watched with Poppy and Lily. Lily kept saying that they looked like Twinkles in various states of play. Then Twinkles jumped into her lap and startled her. We all had a good laugh. Made herb chicken and garlic potatoes for dinner.
I'm so sleepy.

April 26

Prince Thomas has recovered, but Prince Tobias has started to have stomach upset complaints. They had to be separated so that Prince Thomas doesn't get sick again. I had him drawn pictures crayons, because he was assigned to be with me for the time being.He drew pictures of Lucy taking care of his dear friend.

It occurs to me that the Royal Family of the Red Jewel having stayed so long is an oddity. I assumed that it is because of the Horror. I can understand how the two families must work together in these times. I imagine that Princess Drusilla wouldn't want to be away from her dear friends either. I know I wouldn't.

Poppy found a peacock feather. It came from one of the new young strutting peacocks in the Middle Garden. Its lying on our bedside table.

April 27

Lucy said that Prince Tobias has shown some improvement this morning. He still doesn't want to eat anything but soup, though, poor boy. She hopes he will soon.

Prince Thomas is restless. He was throwing a ball at the wall for most of the morning. Its around lunch now, and he's off eating. I should really eat a sandwich or something. I just felt like writing.

Later

There is some good news in these dark times. Princess Evangeline of Mercury is getting married. She's the same age as the three Princesses currently here in the Palace. Marzipan was attending Princess Drusilla when they heard the news. She said Princess Drusilla went pale, and got up saying, "how can anyone get married at a time like this?" Marzipan offered her a piece of lime cake to calm her, but Princess Drusilla just strode out of the room in such an upset state and told her she wished to be alone.

April 28

Sugar had puppies last night! Only one did not survive. Matthew said the other puppies, four in all, are doing fine and that one of them will be sent to Princess Evangeline and her new husband as a wedding present when its weaned.

I bet they're cute, but Matthew said that no one but him can be around them for a while for fear of disease. He apologized and said he'll take me to see them as soon as they're ready for visitors. I can't wait!

April 30

There was a little blue puff of a bird on my outside windowsill when I woke up. It was so cute. I just had to say so.

Later

Stargazed with Lucy and Marzipan in the meadow. We held hands, laying on the ground. I was in the middle. It was so comforting. I'm so glad I have such wonderful friends.

Marzipan pointed at the sky and asked where Mercury is. We couldn't find it. We started talking about Princess Evangeline's marriage, and Marzipan brought up how Princess Drusilla walked out of the room. Lucy said it is curious.

After a while, some angry looking clouds rolled in and the little flowers all around us started waving in the wind. It raining pretty hard now. I hope there is not a thunderstorm. It might wake up Poppy and Lily and would scare them.

I'm glad that Princess Evangeline is getting married. The talk of what she will wear and who her parents will invite is distracting most people from talk of the Horror. It also shows that life goes on.

May 1

No May Day celebration. The body of Prince Midori had been found. He had been buried alive in the Royal Family of Jupiter's Family Burial Vault.

Princess Juliet had been out walking when Siobhan when a messenger ran up to them and told them. Siobhan told us solemnly that Princess Juliet fell to her knees and grabbed her own head, then started hitting her head and screaming. That's all she could say.

May 2

It has been decided that Prince Midori will be buried within the Royal Family of the Heavenly Aquamarine's Burial Garden, because burying him in the same vault of his tortured death would be too cruel. Instead, the crown he was wearing that day will be added to his father's grave.

The hunt for the Lord of Terror has turned more murderous in intent. Queen Millicent has ordered that anyone who captures him may kill him. I just hope that there are no false captures and that no one else who is innocent has to die.

Siobhan, who has grown close to Princess Juliet during her stay at the Palace, said that Princess Juliet has locked herself in her bedroom. Siobhan was bringing a vase of flowers to put beside her door as an object that will carry her sympathies, when she discovered an object already there. A small bottle of seashells.

May 3

The death of her son has spurred Queen Makoto to speak out in grievous rage. She announced that on that horrible day, as the Lord of Terror held her husband's head before her and her daughter, that he told them to leave or he'd kill her and her children. He said that he thought that the people of the Heavenly Aquamarine are poisonous in blood, and that her children have poisoned the blood of his sacred Planet Jupiter. The man must be stopped at any cost, she said. She thinks he will try to come to Neptune and try to kill them all.

Neptunians are in a panic. We will have more visitors on our Moon.

May 4

Empress Mary held a public speech today in the city. It is reported that she has asked the citizens of the Moon to open their homes to the Neptunians who will choose to come to our land. She asked that they not allow fear to stand in the way of human kindness. She has offered a monetary allowance incentive to any citizen who allows their home to be opened to the Neptunians.

I wonder if any Neptunians will come to the Palace.

Lucy said that as soon as the Jupiter refugees in her father's house heard about the Neptunian refugees that they started to build another building on her father's land. Her father is delighted and wants to help as much as he can. I swear her father has the largest heart in the universe.

May 5

Prince Tobias has fully recovered and Prince Thomas can resume playing with him. I have a new appreciation for what Lucy does. I can't even imagine taking care of both of them!

Saw Prince Julian on the beach. He was staring out at the sea. He looked in deep thought. He was holding a half full bottle of seashells, and after a while he started picking them out of the jar and throwing them out into the sea. This was most unusual, because he seemed to always treat them like holy relics.

It started to rain, and he started up the hill, where I was standing. I don't think he noticed me there, because he almost bumped into me. He narrowly avoided me and I think this brought him to his senses a little bit. We stood awkwardly together for a moment.

I had to say something to break the silence, so I said, "your seashells..."

Our eyes met. Shockingly, his eyes were full of tears. "Juliet said...they must miss home," he said softly.

Then he continued on his way.

May 6

Its definitely getting warmer. We opened the windows of the dormitory for the first time this year. Seems like its going to be a hot summer.

It has been determined that Prince Midori's funeral will be held in a small ceremony on a day that no one but the attendees will know. Its sad. He deserves a large memorial. It is yet another reason why the Lord of Terror is hated.

Held Twinkles for a while in the Low Gardens. After not too long, he was struggling to be let go. I let him, and he jumped onto the fountain, batting tentatively at the water. That cat loves water. What a strange boy. Maybe it had to do with the heat?

I watched him for a while and eventually he stuck his head under one of the spouts and began to drink while getting drenched. Why didn't he just move to a drier spot? Then he abrupted fled into a hedge.

I'm glad that Twinkles is such a distraction from what is happening around us. At least for today.

May 7

Felt sick today. I slept on and off. Around 3pm, I awoke, and on the bedside table were little flowers from the meadow. They were slightly crushed, their stems various lengths and damp from a child's eager hand. I kissed the blooms and fell back to sleep.

I awoke again around dinnertime, and a bowl of tomato soup with crushed crackers on top was slightly steaming on the bedside table where the flowers had been. There were too many crackers, and they were slightly soggy and the soup was just slightly warm.

I smiled and as I sat up, one of the flowers fell onto my chest. It took me by surprise for a second, and I reached up to my head. I felt each blossom, each one slightly woven into my hair in a loving way.

My dear, sweet sisters. It is a blessing to have such love in these dark times.

May 8

I'm feeling better. I went into town with Marzipan. She was picking up Empress Mary's favorite hazelnut toffees. I decided to pick up a few for Poppy and Lily. I wanted to show them some of the love they showed me yesterday.

Marzipan winked and popped one of Empress Mary's toffees into her mouth.

"Mmm," she practically sang. "Is there anything better than a cold toffee on a hot day?"

We giggled and then parted ways. I bought some ground beef and noodles to make dinner with and some bolts of cloths for summer dresses for Poppy and Lily.

I wish I had listened to you, Grandma, and allowed you to teach me the art of dress-making. Instead, I'll have Marzipan's mother make their dresses. She's really good at it.

May 10

Didn't write yesterday because I was helping Lucy suprervise the little Princes as they went swimming. I was too tired afterwards.

I am finding myself admiring the young children here at the Palace. They are blissfully ignorant of the events around us. If they are aware of the Lord of Terror, then surely they don't understand or fully understand what he has done, or the fear he generates like a machine.
I'm so tired lately. Maybe I haven't fully recovered from the bug I had the other day?
Once again, reading this over, the parallel of real life events to this continue to shock me as I realize them. The Princess' publicized wedding barely a month after the Horror event parallels the real life event of Prince William's wedding being a little more than a month after the earthquake and tsunami.

SPOILER ALERT: and later on, in the epilogue, it states the Lord of Terror was caught ten years after the Horror. Osama Bin Laden was caught nearly ten years after September 11. In this book, I modeled the Lord of Terror after Osama Bin Laden. Jesus...

Blessed Autobiographer

8,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
To preface: Nothing that I'm about to say, I am saying to be mean. I hope you don't take it as such.

I tried reading your story. I really did. In fact, I tried reading it three times. I'm sorry, it does not interest me. The concept is interesting, and what I can get of the plot was interesting, but the overall story was not. And the problem is how it is written. The journal format has a few major flaws.

1. For starters, it really isn't that interesting to read every single day of any person's life. Especially when the bulk of the entries don't really say anything.

2. It is very obvious that the "journaler" knows what is going on, and expects that anyone reading the journal will as well. That is not the case. I have no clue who most of the people in this story are. And because I don't know who they are, I don't care about them. It doesn't matter to me why there are suddenly over a dozen princes and princesses in the story, or that the MC got picked to serve at a party, or that the body of some prince was found. I really don't care because I know nothing about them, and that is because there is no information on them due to the fact the MC just assumes anyone reading her journal will know all these things.

3. I believe it was stated the MC was 11, or became a mother at 11. That would interesting to explore her psyche and how it effects her to be so young and take care of a child. Frankly, she doesn't act 11, and that might be part of the society. If so, then why is beign a parent at 11 such a big deal? It's mentioned and then dropped almost at once. It's like having to raise a child does not phase the MC at all, and she handles it like an adult. However, still being a child, shouldn't there be some times where she acts like a child?

As stated, I'm not saying any of these things to be mean. I tried to get into your story, but really couldn't. I personally think that if you want to keep the journal aspect, don't write like we are supposed to know who all these people are. None of us do. Also, it is okay to skip days. If nothing happened on this day, you don't need to put it in the story. I hope this helps you when you go back to edit and improve your work.
Fireweed_honey
To preface: Nothing that I'm about to say, I am saying to be mean. I hope you don't take it as such.

I tried reading your story. I really did. In fact, I tried reading it three times. I'm sorry, it does not interest me. The concept is interesting, and what I can get of the plot was interesting, but the overall story was not. And the problem is how it is written. The journal format has a few major flaws.

1. For starters, it really isn't that interesting to read every single day of any person's life. Especially when the bulk of the entries don't really say anything.

2. It is very obvious that the "journaler" knows what is going on, and expects that anyone reading the journal will as well. That is not the case. I have no clue who most of the people in this story are. And because I don't know who they are, I don't care about them. It doesn't matter to me why there are suddenly over a dozen princes and princesses in the story, or that the MC got picked to serve at a party, or that the body of some prince was found. I really don't care because I know nothing about them, and that is because there is no information on them due to the fact the MC just assumes anyone reading her journal will know all these things.

3. I believe it was stated the MC was 11, or became a mother at 11. That would interesting to explore her psyche and how it effects her to be so young and take care of a child. Frankly, she doesn't act 11, and that might be part of the society. If so, then why is beign a parent at 11 such a big deal? It's mentioned and then dropped almost at once. It's like having to raise a child does not phase the MC at all, and she handles it like an adult. However, still being a child, shouldn't there be some times where she acts like a child?

As stated, I'm not saying any of these things to be mean. I tried to get into your story, but really couldn't. I personally think that if you want to keep the journal aspect, don't write like we are supposed to know who all these people are. None of us do. Also, it is okay to skip days. If nothing happened on this day, you don't need to put it in the story. I hope this helps you when you go back to edit and improve your work.
Sorry for my late reply.

The main character is 19, actually. Nowhere in the story does it state she is 11. I think it says her sister Poppy is 11? She became the guardian of her two sisters due to her grandmother's death the previous year. There are clues to this throughout already at this point in the story as to that.

Part of Isabella's character is that she is so encapsulated in the world at the Palace that she doesn't understand that other people wouldn't know about or care so much about royals or nobles or what have you. Later on, she learns this slowly and we see it reflected in what she writes.

Every day she writes has a significance. They show small details as to her life which later gather into a greater understanding of the story. Most small entries are foreshadowing information for understanding later events.

I appreciate your trying to read this. It seems like diary format is becoming quite unpopular these days. Its a shame. But, things change.

I just wanted to write something refreshingly clean, something slow paced and not unpleasant. Something not filled with shoot outs or rape or what have you. I guess it didn't work out.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff