Total Votes:[ 6 ]

Winter Warrior

9,475 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Lightbulb 150
  • Winter Guardian 250
Moments Before Midnight
Or one of these ones:
Magical Midnight or Midnight Magic - Which do you like?

The glass of her slippers chants click clickity clack
as she moves to the beat of the band at her back.
His hand rests against her, pulling her close
as they breathe in the music in such a vibrant dose.
Her hips sway to the soft thud of the drum's tiny booms
while the dance of two perfect strangers fills the room.
Soft satin clings to the folds of her body as she moves,
wrapping tight, the features of her curves and her grooves.
Guided by this man, she's so graceful on her feet
as the click clickity clack continues to repeat.
One by one other couples stop to watch them,
amazed at how gracefully she moves with him.
He spins her around, her feet click click click clicking
and she finally realizes the clock is tick ticking.
All she can do is mutter soft apologies over her shoulder
as the man stands in shock, wondering what stole her.
All that's left behind from that few moments of romance
is a small glass slipper on the floor where they danced.
He picks it up and holds it lovingly to his chest,
whispering, "Until I find her, I can no rest."

- By: A.V.

The line that is italicized, I'm not sure about.
[Though I'm not sure about any of it, which is why it's here. ><]

I love criticism, but please make it constructive? If you tell me you like or dislike it... or that you love it or hate it... please tell me WHY. [I can not stress that enough.]
I"m not sure if you ment for it to rhyme, if so..

"One by one other couples stop to watch them,
amazed at how gracefully she moves with him. "

"All she can do is mutter soft apologies over her shoulder
as the man stands in shock, wondering what stole her. "

Them and him do not rhyme, and the same could be said for shoulder and her.

Winter Warrior

9,475 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Lightbulb 150
  • Winter Guardian 250
Ahh, my child, but it does rhyme.
Things don't have to sound like cat and rat to rhyme.
There's many different kinds of rhyme.
Look it up.

Shoulder
her
They both make the 'er' sound.

Them and him are off rhymes;
therefore, you're right in a sense, but they're still rhymes.

Athebyne's Partner

Big Member

I wonder how you were able to dig this up from seven and a half years ago. lol

If you really want me to tear into this one, though, I'll get back to you.
Bug me if I don't.
(It'd be nice if you made it a bit easier to read...)

Winter Warrior

9,475 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Lightbulb 150
  • Winter Guardian 250
SiIverwing
I wonder how you were able to dig this up from seven and a half years ago. lol

If you really want me to tear into this one, though, I'll get back to you.
Bug me if I don't.
(It'd be nice if you made it a bit easier to read...)

I was actually wondering that, too. I was just scouring my early poetic fail era and somehow I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing and I accidentally managed to make a post. It was a complete accident that I deleted because I was hoping nobody would notice to be honest! hahaha This was from my "still a n00blet who needs to learn that colorful, center-aligned font is a TERRIBLE idea if you want to be taken seriously" stage.

If you /want/ to tear this a new one, you may be my guest, but I have no intentions of editing this piece. I'd rather get myself back into the habit of regular poetry writing and give you something fresh to maul. It's been a long time since I've taken critique from anyone but myself, but it's also been a long time since I've written poetry for the sake of sharing. My last works have been just kind of for me. I was trying to concentrate on prose more and I think without some sort of balance, I've lost a piece of myself. I was re-visiting old failed works of art in an attempt to find that lost something.

Yeah, that might have been over-share.
But whatever. I hear that's good for re-connecting with old friends. lol

Athebyne's Partner

Big Member

Ah, okay.
I also thought they locked threads after a period of time, so I was surprised you were even able to bump this one.
But your explanation makes more sense.

I think I know what you mean about trying to look for that old magic.
I've been doing the same, revisiting old pieces on my old accounts, trying to rediscover that magic after getting into college where I couldn't write in class anymore and had no time for myself otherwise but somehow managed to get into the staff of a literary/arts magazine where everyone was so talented and it kinda destroyed me... yeah. lol
Back to a time where I just wrote and didn't care nearly as much, I guess?
'Cause I learned a lot both here and outside but it kinda got crippling at times. lol
And even then, despite that, there are still old pieces I have on here that I don't totally hate. xd

(Heh. You bet it's great for that kind of thing.)

With that in mind, I think I'll leave this be, but I do look forward to anything new you may come up with. 3nodding
Or, an embarrassing old poem is a great start to a chat thread. I'm surprised this got bumped as well. What a weird twist of fate.

I know the feeling, guys. It's why I decided to finally commit to NaPo. I feel like I hit my peak at 16, which makes me a nerd with a jock's regrets.

What bullshit.

Winter Warrior

9,475 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Lightbulb 150
  • Winter Guardian 250
SiIverwing

I was just thinking... this is like... account number 234546547 for you, isn't it? Yes, I randomly ran my finger over the number keys because you have had THAT MANY accounts for me to keep track of. I don't think I can take anymore!!! lol

Anyway, I've kind of hit a rut as well. I was having a lot of fun co-writing an erotica novel with someone I knew, but that venture kind of blew up in my face. I ended up getting fired (even though I didn't do anything wrong), and so that way nine months or more of work down the drain. I can't really go into details on a public forum, but let's just say unless a miracle happens, I'm not getting s**t for all the work I put into the novel, which was almost finished. You can PM if your curiosity isn't satisfied with the bare minimums. razz

I have been kind of moping since then. It was a rather recent event, so I haven't been moping for THAT long, but it's been long enough that I'm finally ready to pick myself up and move forward with one of my own projects, but a lot of my older work (that at some point I had really wanted to do something with- I just hadn't been ready) has been lost.

There's a few things I'll be able to scrounge up from Gaia, but it's going to take a LOT of searching through the Anything Goes Writing contest (see signature for more details) and my old, rotten poetry threads, and NONE of those pieces will be edited to the point in which they were.

I seriously HATE technology. I had TWO computers blow up on me in a week. It was devastating to lose THAT MUCH material, but I took it as a sign that I needed to concentrate on one project at a time and that was when I'd really gotten serious about the erotica novel partnership, (not that I wasn't serious before, but I was still working on some of my own projects from time to time). And then of course that sign turned into my demise, because of the whole losing the job thing.

Now I'm back to pouting about my exploded hard drive and having trouble deciding which project I want to completely start over from scratch. -___-

For the record, I don't think I've ever read anything you've written that totally bit the dust. I'm sure I read some questionable things at some point, but nothing that I was ever like, "Omg I couldn't possibly stomach this a second time." So it doesn't surprise me, that even in the middle of a rut, you managed to score a cozy position on a lit mag. If everyone else was so talent, it should have made you thrive! Have you no fuel for competition, anymore?

I think pressure is what makes me write my best, in all honesty. lol Which is kind of unfortunate because I can't rely on someone else to always be breathing down my neck every time I write, unless I invent some alternate ego to do that for me, but then I run the risk of insanity like in the Secret Garden. No wait, that was the Secret Window. ********, whichever one had Johnny Depp wearing a sexy cowboy hat! lol

---

Since you need practice and I need practice, I'd be more than happy to practice with you! Every time the two of us ever started a collab, we always ended up abandoning it. =/

Winter Warrior

9,475 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Lightbulb 150
  • Winter Guardian 250
Aphrodite f l y t r a p
Or, an embarrassing old poem is a great start to a chat thread. I'm surprised this got bumped as well. What a weird twist of fate.

I know the feeling, guys. It's why I decided to finally commit to NaPo. I feel like I hit my peak at 16, which makes me a nerd with a jock's regrets.

What bullshit.

OMFG ITS THE FLYTRAP!!! <3 I almost missed you sneak in there.
Hey, wait a minute... Woman, you owe me a reply on facebook talk2hand
You owe me a collab!

Anyway, I didn't think it was possible to bump old threads either, but here it is, a DEFINITELY embarrassing old poem. Although I did just take the time to read this and it wasn't QUITE as horrible as I remember it.

I MIGHT consider revising this, after all.
But I don't want any crit on it until I take a swing at it myself-
see what I still remember. XD

I don't think I've really hit my high, yet. I still have a lot of potentially awesome things stored in my brain. I just have to re-find them again after the whole computer crash thing (See long-a** reply to Silverthing). Yes, I know, that's not his name. I'm protesting his 346546757 name change. Notice how my random number pushing exaggerations get higher every time. lol

At least I learned one valuable lesson: Invest in an external hard drive BEFORE it's too late.
Yeah. ********. I was asking for one for Christmas. My computer melted three months before Christmas. FML. -___-

Athebyne's Partner

Big Member

TheVoiceOfCreation
Yeah, I have a ton of accounts. This account change was necessary, though. As I've intimated in my profile, my old main account, The Deuteragonist, got banned last February. (Yes, this is like the seventh time I've gotten banned on here, and yes, this time I deserved it--I did some morally questionable stuff in November when Gaia was getting DDoSed because I was frustrated by their response to the situation. Let's leave it at that.) I'm actually still rather sad about that--that was one of my longest-lasting accounts, my longest-lasting main account that didn't get the hammer. Was almost seven years. Had a ton of gold and items in there, too, and a ton of memories.

Wow. I am so, so sorry that happened to you. That just seems so totally unfair. All that time and work down the shitter. sad

And that thing about two computers blowing up is just horrible. I went nuts when my old laptop's hard drive crashed. Yeah, always back up your stuff, I learned the hard way. I can't imagine what it would be like for it to happen twice. Especially with all that material. So, so sorry to hear that.

Well, several things. I got accepted into the magazine not because I was a good writer (they didn't ask you to submit anything but a reading of a work of poetry/fiction), but because I was a good reader/critic, at least according to the chief editors. And then the staffers were predominantly fictionists, and the poets were, excluding me, people who had largely chosen to eschew rhyme and meter for their work. I have absolutely nothing against free verse, as you should know. In fact, I've written a good bit of my own. But my training is mostly in rhyme and meter, so is my aesthetic--while I certainly do appreciate writers like Louise Gluck and Jorie Graham and Marvin Bell, I grew up on Frost and Millay and Plath and Yeats and Eliot. My favorite free verse pieces are things that could get me into trouble with my rather conservative family if I sent them for publication under my real name (hint: it's the stuff I posted as Martin Gale). And it got a little lonely. Not to mention that I just enjoyed their work so damn much that I felt extremely inadequate. I'm not gonna lie, as much as I like reading your work, and other people's work on Gaia, this was another level. These people were all creative writing majors whose talent was at least the level of, say, Maj or Lied, and I don't say that lightly at all. I did submit many of my own works for deliberation. I got rejected every time except for once, and the one piece that got in was a rework of one of my pieces from 2011, which was a piece for a girl for whom I had feelings that have since flared out. (I'd call it a slight revision, but since the piece was so short it would probably count as a rework.)

(Every poet I know has had at least one writer destroy their ability to write. I can't remember specifics, but everyone told me at least that.)

Not to mention I did a lot of my best writing during class, because, not to boast, back in high school and even my first year of college I was actually smart enough to get away with that kind of thing. I couldn't do this in college. I got stuck in a degree program that I grew to loathe and was struggling even just to pass. Which was a shock for people who had never seen me struggle before. I was a pure mathematician at heart and by training, but got talked into taking quantitative finance even if I had no background in or taste for finance. I grew rather isolated too as a result because I was indulging in pure mathematics so that I could enroll in a graduate program. I had no academics, and no social life, just occasionally trying to keep up with my passions even with the work of my degree program killing them off.

All of these things killed my ability and desire to write, honestly.

Thanks for that assessment of my work, though. It means a lot to me, and I do enjoy your stuff too. heart

---

I know. I'm terrible at collabs. emo

Winter Warrior

9,475 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Lightbulb 150
  • Winter Guardian 250
SiIverwing
TheVoiceOfCreation
Yeah, I have a ton of accounts. This account change was necessary, though. As I've intimated in my profile, my old main account, The Deuteragonist, got banned last February. (Yes, this is like the seventh time I've gotten banned on here, and yes, this time I deserved it--I did some morally questionable stuff in November when Gaia was getting DDoSed because I was frustrated by their response to the situation. Let's leave it at that.) I'm actually still rather sad about that--that was one of my longest-lasting accounts, my longest-lasting main account that didn't get the hammer. Was almost seven years. Had a ton of gold and items in there, too, and a ton of memories.

hm... I don't even know what DDoSed means. Even when I was here all the time, I stayed out of Gaian politics, or whatever they're called. I tried to be friends with everyone I could connect with and avoid the drama... except for that one Egg hacker fiasco. I even had a secret club dedicated to all my suspicions about who it was. I never found out for real, though.

Anyway, hopefully you can make this account stick for awhile. Otherwise I'm going to just start calling you X. razz It sucks that you lost a ton of gold and items. Right now I have so much ******** gold I'm not sure what I want to do with it. I want to do something like, charitable, but I don't want to give it to just anyone for any stupid thing.

I thought about donating to Wing but he's already stated that he's got enough s**t to fund his contest for like, another thirty years. With inflation it might not be quite that long, but still, he seems pretty adequately funded. I wanted to give some to PhantomKitsune for her contest, but it never took off. And I refuse to just go to the chatterbox and fund stupid money grab threads. I thought about running a writing contest of my own, but I think I'm content with simply judging for Wing right now, and if PK's contest didn't take off, nothing I would come up with could possibly get off the ground. I'd make people jump through writing hoops for the kind of gold I'd think about giving away.

I also thought about just becoming some sort of gift fairy. Iunno. Imma sit on it for a while longer, maybe use it to play the market some more. I'm surprisingly good at that, but probably because I bide my time and try not to make stupid purchases that are going to set me a bajillion in the hole. So far, I have yet to actually lose any money on an item. Though I do have one sitting in my inventory from months ago that took a tank in price. Good thing it wasn't too expensive of an item. (I also don't deal in items that are too high-priced. I prefer to make gold just a little at a time, rather than tying up all my funds in one "big ticket" item that might tank at any minute).

Anyway, you probably don't care about my market hobby XD

Wow. I am so, so sorry that happened to you. That just seems so totally unfair. All that time and work down the shitter. sad

Yeah... but I should have known better. I should have said no when the person came to me based on the way they treat some of the other people in their life. I'm trying to look on the bright side, which is that it gave me some added practice for undertaking a project that big on my own. It's possible I might not get "nothing," from the tanked project, but only time will tell. And if time tells me to pursue more, it'll be a fight, that's for sure. I'm still trying to decide if the fight is worth it. The honest writer in me says it should be, but the desire not to blow up the situation tells me I should just let it go, even though I have ever right to fight it out.

And that thing about two computers blowing up is just horrible. I went nuts when my old laptop's hard drive crashed. Yeah, always back up your stuff, I learned the hard way. I can't imagine what it would be like for it to happen twice. Especially with all that material. So, so sorry to hear that.

Fortunately it wasn't two computers with separate files on it. I only had a giant amount of material on the first computer that fizzed out on me. I'd had this story I was working on editing on it and when I got a second computer, I decided to start re-editing it because I knew how to retrieve the original copy of the document again, and I got to the same point in the editing process as the first time, and was twice as happy with the outcome, when the new computer blew on me because the stupid programmers from the store I bought it from apparently don't know how to refurbish a laptop after all. -___- So I lost what was [technically] the third round of edits. I can always find the original and start a fourth round, but -foot stomps like a child and whines- I really liked the LAST draft. lol

Well, several things. I got accepted into the magazine not because I was a good writer (they didn't ask you to submit anything but a reading of a work of poetry/fiction), but because I was a good reader/critic, at least according to the chief editors. And then the staffers were predominantly fictionists, and the poets were, excluding me, people who had largely chosen to eschew rhyme and meter for their work. I have absolutely nothing against free verse, as you should know. In fact, I've written a good bit of my own. But my training is mostly in rhyme and meter, so is my aesthetic--while I certainly do appreciate writers like Louise Gluck and Jorie Graham and Marvin Bell, I grew up on Frost and Millay and Plath and Yeats and Eliot. My favorite free verse pieces are things that could get me into trouble with my rather conservative family if I sent them for publication under my real name (hint: it's the stuff I posted as Martin Gale). And it got a little lonely. Not to mention that I just enjoyed their work so damn much that I felt extremely inadequate. I'm not gonna lie, as much as I like reading your work, and other people's work on Gaia, this was another level. These people were all creative writing majors whose talent was at least the level of, say, Maj or Lied, and I don't say that lightly at all. I did submit many of my own works for deliberation. I got rejected every time except for once, and the one piece that got in was a rework of one of my pieces from 2011, which was a piece for a girl for whom I had feelings that have since flared out. (I'd call it a slight revision, but since the piece was so short it would probably count as a rework.)

Well, an editing job is also good, though! The job I got fired from started out as an editing/teaching job and the person who hired me was too lazy to learn on her own, so that was how I ended up becoming a writer on the project. It would have been some damn good money. Yes, I am ******** bitter! lol

Obviously, we know how I feel about free-verse. I've dabbled with form and rhyme, rhyme especially as of late, but I am TERRIBLE at it. Apparently, you just can't keep all of this, whatever this is, in a box. My favorite poets, when I finally got into reading other people's works, were actually the amateurs I found here, believe it or not. There's one collab between Astaire and Zero that I still have saved somewhere that just... blew me away. Their back and forth was ******** exquisite and really inspired me. They just found a groove and made it work, and blahblahblah /praise.

To be honest, I don't think I read much Lied. I know I have read Lied, I just can't think of anything that sticks out to me. Of course, I haven't actually done a lot of reading in this forum except in the AGWL, for years, so bleh. My memory sucks. Hah. And to be more honest, Maj's style always bothered me. I don't know about his earlier work when he first joined but when I started reading him his worked lacked a certain something that I couldn't put my finger on. Maybe it was heart. A lot of his poems just seemed so empty inside. I wonder if I go back and re-read a lot of the people I liked/disliked before, though, if my opinions of all of their poetry would still be the same, or if I might change my about some of them.

Tomorrow I will have to go look up Martin Gale. I actually don't remember you on that name.

I remember coming here and seeing some of the fantastic poetry. It all got kind of overwhelming. I supposed I did feel a little inadequate at first, until I gained some confidence. I've never found a group of poets in real life whom I'd thought had unimaginable skills, though. I feel like it might be a breath of fresh air, but I guess I have a sort of competitive nature. I'm not sure if competitive is exactly the word I'm looking for, but I think it gets my point across. When I see people who are better, who it makes me want to be better, to do better. Not because I feel the need to show up others but because I feel like if some other person can obtain a certain level of "Awesomeness" then there's no reason I can't obtain that level of "Awesomeness" as well.

Every time I think I find myself, I'm jumping off a cliff and I have no idea where or how I'll land. And every time I do land, it's like I have to start all over figuring out who I need to be from there. I guess that's life, but damn it's hard to keep up!

(Every poet I know has had at least one writer destroy their ability to write. I can't remember specifics, but everyone told me at least that.)

Can that writer be their self? Because I seriously think writer's block is a self-inflicted disease for me, sometimes. I get this feeling that I just need a little of something to pull myself out of the rut, but I just never know what until one day I pick up a pencil or open a blank word document and all of sudden, there are finally words where there once were none. I'm not sure what it is, but it feel like it's as easy as flipping a switch. I'm just not sure I'm quite tall enough to reach said switch. At five foot nothing, I'm short even in my own subconscious.

Not to mention I did a lot of my best writing during class, because, not to boast, back in high school and even my first year of college I was actually smart enough to get away with that kind of thing. I couldn't do this in college. I got stuck in a degree program that I grew to loathe and was struggling even just to pass. Which was a shock for people who had never seen me struggle before. I was a pure mathematician at heart and by training, but got talked into taking quantitative finance even if I had no background in or taste for finance. I grew rather isolated too as a result because I was indulging in pure mathematics so that I could enroll in a graduate program. I had no academics, and no social life, just occasionally trying to keep up with my passions even with the work of my degree program killing them off.

All of these things killed my ability and desire to write, honestly.

I dropped out of college when I thought I was supposed to be going because it was necessary to have a "fall back career" if you wanted to be a writer, and I had no idea what I wanted to "fall back" on. I wasn't even interested in my creative writing classes because for the sake of saving money, since I was only going for my Gen. Ed. at first, I chose to go to the local community college, and none of my professors or classmates challenged me the way I'd always been challenged elsewhere, especially here.

I did, however, do a lot of writing during classes in high school. Sometimes I wish I'd put more stake in school, but even if I had, I'm not sure where I would have taken it. You don't actually need a creative writing degree to write a fantastic novel. You just need time, dedication, and a few good ideas, plus the skills to make it sound good. I have all of those things except the dedication. Oh, don't get me wrong, I start out dedicated, but then I hit a bump or start to dislike where I've taken the characters and I pull away for a while to think about my next move, and in the mean time I start a new project to pass the time and then I get invested in the new characters, and it's all just one big cycle. I didn't need school to teach me any of those skills. clearly it didn't teach me dedication, and it took away all my time, and back then I was still struggling to figure out what my dream job was going to be because I was led to believe writing was like, an outer space dream, versus an obtainable one. I wish I hadn't listened to all the idiots who discouraged me from just going for it, because then I might have picked up the dedication to a single project a little more quickly. Now, I have to teach myself that skill. I almost had it down pat until getting fired, so the act of starting a new project has been hectic.

I remember you talking a little about your math struggles ages ago when we were conversing on WritersWerk for a bit. Getting pressured into paths you don't want sucks, doesn't it? Because by the time you realize that you're on the path of someone else and not your own, you have a huge hole to dig yourself out of.

Thanks for that assessment of my work, though. It means a lot to me, and I do enjoy your stuff too. heart

<3333

---

I know. I'm terrible at collabs. emo
scream Be better!!!!!!! lol
TheVoiceOfCreation
Aphrodite f l y t r a p

What bullshit.

You owe me a collab!

Sometimes I drop off the face of the Earth.

My bad. Must have been going through a rough spot.

Winter Warrior

9,475 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Lightbulb 150
  • Winter Guardian 250
Aphrodite f l y t r a p
TheVoiceOfCreation
Aphrodite f l y t r a p

What bullshit.

You owe me a collab!

Sometimes I drop off the face of the Earth.

My bad. Must have been going through a rough spot.

S'alright Dearie. I forgive you.
Sometimes I drop off the face of the Earth, too.

You can make it up to me by starting a collab about it razz

heart heart

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas