Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Sophomore

4,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
Hello everyone! I've had an electric drum set for a few months now, and have been doing very well with it, and i've recently decided to start a metal band with some friends. I want a nice acoustic drum set, but my issue is that I feel like it's similar to building a computer. You can simply find the parts you want, mash em all together, and get a much better computer (drumset), and most likely for a cheaper price.

So, i was wondering - has anyone ever taken this approach? I really don't know what to be doing. Should I find each little part, or buy a prebuilt set and add what i want to it? What pieces should i have?

Since im really into drumming, i'd like to have multiple of just about every piece. (Aside from Snare, Bass, and High Hat) Im not really sure how many Ride, Splash, and Crash cymbals i should have. So, all in all im talking something like this:
1 Bass (double pedal)
1 Snare
3-4 Toms
1 Hi Hat
_ Ride Cymbal's
_ Splash Cymbal's
_ Crash Cymbal's

So, here are my questions.

Is it smarter to "build" one, or buy one preset? Pros and cons?
How should i go about getting this built? Buy a preset and add on, or buy individual parts?
Brands? Recommendations?
How many of each cymbal should i have?
Happen to have one prebuilt or something?

I know this is a lot, so thanks for helping.

Hygienic Smoker

all you need is a floor tom, a high hat, a snare, a bass drum, and ride. if you can rock out on that, than you can rock out on anything.

Dapper Sophomore

4,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
2 CHAlNZ
all you need is a floor tom, a high hat, a snare, a bass drum, and ride. if you can rock out on that, than you can rock out on anything.

But i want more than that.

Genius

I would at least get the snare separately. If you want to get the toms and kick together, that's fine. For the snare, a Black Beauty is my go-to choice. My regular session drummer actually has a knock off that's only like $200-$300 that he likes better, even though he has a real Black Beauty as well. I don't know what the brand is, but I can ask him.

Four toms is a lot. You can do it if you must, but most metal drummers I've worked with play with one rack and one floor. Occasionally, a second floor tom if they want to feel cool.

As far as the number of cymbals is concerned, try to limit yourself and NOT get ten thousand. If you want to throw in something quirky like a china for every now and then, that's fine, but going ham on a battalion of cymbals can make your band's mix sound washy and less focused.

My suggestion: 2 crashes (but one that you use the most), 1 ride, then quirkier things like if you want a splash or a china. As for the brand, Heartbeat cymbals are freaking great.

Dapper Sophomore

4,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
Jordancoolbro v2
I would at least get the snare separately. If you want to get the toms and kick together, that's fine. For the snare, a Black Beauty is my go-to choice. My regular session drummer actually has a knock off that's only like $200-$300 that he likes better, even though he has a real Black Beauty as well. I don't know what the brand is, but I can ask him.

Four toms is a lot. You can do it if you must, but most metal drummers I've worked with play with one rack and one floor. Occasionally, a second floor tom if they want to feel cool.

As far as the number of cymbals is concerned, try to limit yourself and NOT get ten thousand. If you want to throw in something quirky like a china for every now and then, that's fine, but going ham on a battalion of cymbals can make your band's mix sound washy and less focused.

My suggestion: 2 crashes (but one that you use the most), 1 ride, then quirkier things like if you want a splash or a china. As for the brand, Heartbeat cymbals are freaking great.

Alright - any brand on the toms and bass?

Genius

Face The Contrast
Jordancoolbro v2

Alright - any brand on the toms and bass?
I think Kevin plays Yamahas, but I know his are custom made and quite expensive. The kick drum alone was like $2000. I don't know what your price range on this is, but I can ask for more details if you want. Oh, and I know a lot of metal drummers play Truth kits.

Ryan Gunn's Wife

Sonors are probably the sweetest drums you can buy, or DWs.

If you go to the Sonor homepage they have a kit building app that lets you pick the type of shell you want, finish, ect.

Hilarious Hunter

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Contributor 150
Figure out which kind of wood you like best. I like birch for the pop, but that's just me. Next, figure out how many toms you want. I like having two toms on the bass drum and one on the floor (pretty much a standard 5 piece kit). From there, you can see which makers have the better sound/hardware/colors. That's mostly preference. I like Pearl and Tama (only the high end Tama.... can get kinda silly on the low end).

For the most part, makers will give you toms, bass drum, and the hardware for those. It's up to you to find the snare and symbols. For snares, it's entirely preference. You'll have to play a few to find the right sound. Symbols is where the fun comes in. Buy 2 sets of something you like. Use one now, and bury the other set in your back yard for a year. Literally. Bury it. Next year, when you dig them up, they'll be nicely aged. NO NOT use symbol cleaner, that defeats the purpose! The symbols open up and sound SO much nicer after they're aged. Just wipe off the dirt and mud and you're in good shape. Make sure you use good symbols, though.... otherwise they just sound crappier than before.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff