Welcome to Gaia! ::

I have both the Poetic and Prose Eddas in the form of a real book. 3nodding I've read the Prose edda, and a large portion of the Poetic Edda (I got lazy and skipped to the parts I deemed interesting. sweatdrop Though that only excluded two little sections neutral I actually started re-reading everything last night.), but I just figured that the Norse Myths book would gimme a little clearer idea of what I'm reading... I find the way that quite a few of the stories are layed out in the Eddas to be kinda confusing. sweatdrop
Actumen
I have both the Poetic and Prose Eddas in the form of a real book. 3nodding I've read the Prose edda, and a large portion of the Poetic Edda (I got lazy and skipped to the parts I deemed interesting. sweatdrop Though that only excluded two little sections neutral I actually started re-reading everything last night.), but I just figured that the Norse Myths book would gimme a little clearer idea of what I'm reading... I find the way that quite a few of the stories are layed out in the Eddas to be kinda confusing. sweatdrop
I can understand that. Enjoy them.
I have to find a hard copy of the Prose Edda for study, having completed the Poetic Edda a few days ago.

My goal is once I learn enough Old Norse, to get copies of them in Old Norse.

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PhantomPhoenix0
I have to find a hard copy of the Prose Edda for study, having completed the Poetic Edda a few days ago.

The Poetic Edda is actually written in old Icelandic, which scholars claim is close enough to modern Icelandic that Icelandic people can read them pretty easily.
Scholars claim? I think I'd rather believe an Icelander on that one...
Deoridhe
PhantomPhoenix0

The Poetic Edda is actually written in old Icelandic, which scholars claim is close enough to modern Icelandic that Icelandic people can read them pretty easily.

Quote:
The term 'Old Norse' is sometimes used to mean specifically what we here call 'West Norse' or what we here call 'Old Icelandic'. It is sometimes applied to Icelandic up to the 16th century.

Taken from http://www.hi.is/~haukurth/norse/olessons/lesson1.php?colors=1
whee I plan on finishing that desk today, that I was talking about a while back in that Runes thread. Just waiting for the dremel battery to recharge. Would you guys like to see it when it's finished? surprised

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Axioma

Ur, American, Asatru scholars. I've yet to meet an Icelander I could ask. I was indicating the third hand nature of the information.

Ur, ok Phantom. Then I would suggest you learn Icelandic, since apparently it and "Old Norse" are functionally the same. whee
Deoridhe
Axioma

Ur, American, Asatru scholars. I've yet to meet an Icelander I could ask. I was indicating the third hand nature of the information.

Ur, ok Phantom. Then I would suggest you learn Icelandic, since apparently it and "Old Norse" are functionally the same. whee
I've heard (From a native Icelander, on a TV show about savants that had a guy who could essentially memorize and speak a language within a week) that Icelandic is nearly impossible to speak if you don't start as a child... Reading, however, is probably a different story. 3nodding

The guy, however, did appear on an Icelandic TV show a week after her started learning and did a brief interview. 3nodding Everyone was impressed.

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Actumen
I've heard (From a native Icelander, on a TV show about savants that had a guy who could essentially memorize and speak a language within a week) that Icelandic is nearly impossible to speak if you don't start as a child... Reading, however, is probably a different story. 3nodding

I would imagine the phonemes are fairly specific. I've always wondered why teachers didn't get natives to isolate the novel phonemens and present them in connection with phonemes in the native language of the learner, to be honest. Though, apparently my roommates Japanese class effectively did that, via repitition. I can now hear and pronounce several phonemes that aren't present in English, but I will admit they are difficult to aquire as an adult.
Deoridhe
Actumen

I would imagine the phonemes are fairly specific. I've always wondered why teachers didn't get natives to isolate the novel phonemens and present them in connection with phonemes in the native language of the learner, to be honest. Though, apparently my roommates Japanese class effectively did that, via repitition. I can now hear and pronounce several phonemes that aren't present in English, but I will admit they are difficult to aquire as an adult.
...Say what?

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Actumen
Deoridhe
Actumen

...Say what?

sweatdrop Sorry.

Phonemes are the smallest unit of spoken language. For instance, /th/ is a phoneme (technically two, since there's a HARD /th/ and a SOFT /th/). So is /r/ or /s/ or /g/. Linguists have tried to give each phoneme a distinctive written symbol for the purpose of tracking them and identifying them in language. For example, one of the four click sounds in the !Tung language is represented by a !. Another is a #. And so on.

Different languages have different numbers of phonemes. The lowest known is, I think, the Hawaiian native language which had (keep in mind it's been almost eight years since my last linguistics class) 16 or so. The highest ever recorded was somewhere around 45 or so. English is in the mid to high 30s, if I recal correctly; we're low on vowels.

Often the "accent" people have in a foreign language is actually their misinterpretation or inability to pronounce the phonemes of that language. I have a Hel of a time with the rolled /~n/ in Spanish, for instance, which means even when I speak Spanish it doesn't quite sound right.

Phonemes are solidified in children at around six months of age. Before then, babies are capable of distinguishing between all 60+ of them. Afterward, they can only distinguish between the phonemes of their native language or languages.

I theorize adults would be able to regain the ability to hear lost phonemes if they were presented in isolation and the adult tried hard enough.
Oh! That makes sense. 3nodding Thanks. I would have Wikipedia'd it, if I had known what to look for! xd
Actumen
whee I plan on finishing that desk today, that I was talking about a while back in that Runes thread. Just waiting for the dremel battery to recharge. Would you guys like to see it when it's finished? surprised
I'd love to see it
Deoridhe

Well, no one around here teaches Icelandic. The only way I'd be able to learn it besides this way would be to Find online courses.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff