Welcome to Gaia! ::

This is a constantly growing list of free or reduced-cost birth control options available for teens who wish to practice safe sex.

Birth Control

Free prescription birth control:

California residents 18 and older only:
FamilyPACT
Information on how to schedule an appointment

Georgia residents in the Clarke County area:
Teen Matters in Athens, Georgia offers free or reduced-cost services to teens (click on the link for location and hours).

Hurricane Katrina Evacuees in Colorado Only:
Planned Parenthood (Might also apply to evacuees in the Rocky Mountain area: Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Wyoming and Missouri).

Hurricane Katrina Evacuees in Texas Only:
Planned Parenthood

Illinois residents ages 19-44 only:
Healthy Women Program

Iowa residents only:
PlanSmart

Maine students who attend King Middle School only:
Information about the legislature

Maryland women on welfare only (pending):
Maryland Welfare Plan

Michigan residents ages 19-44 only:
Plan First!

Minnesota residents ages 15-50 only:
4NOW

New York residents earning $24,000 a year or less:
Planned Parenthood
Medicaid Planning Services

Oklahoma pigeons only:
For some reason pigeons get free birth control before human women in Oklahoma...

Oregon students only:
Family Planning Project

Washington residents only:
Take Charge!

West Virginia residents only:
WV OMCFH Family Planning Program

Reduced-cost on prescription birth control:

Massachusetts:
Valid for cash-paying customers only with-out prescription coverage. Not for those who are enrolled in Medicare, Medicaid, or other federal or state health care plans. Coupon can only be used twice a year.
$5 off Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo (the pill)

Free condoms:

Trojans Sample (One per applicant)

NYC Condoms (Pick-up only - NYC area)

Organizations that offer free condoms:
Community Contraception Clinics (Family planning clinics).
Brook (Brook Advisory Centers) - for under 25s only.
NHS sexual health (GUM) clinics.
Gay pubs and clubs.
Planned Parenthood and other family-planning clinics

Free Spermicide: Contributed by Snow-Cone-Reaper.

VCF (Vaginal Contraceptive Film) (USA)

Discounted Spermicide:

VCF (Vaginal Contraceptive Film) (Print Coupon)

Lubrication:

Free Lubrication:

Astroglide (USA)

Astroglide (Canada)

ID -- available to the US & Canada only

Play -- available to the US & Canada only

WET -- available between 1 pm and 5 pm PST. First come first serve.

Discounted Lubrication:

$1 off Play Lubrication -- print off coupon and use anywhere!

FAQs
Do you have a question? Ask away!

Q. Isn't abstinence the cheapest and most effective form of birth control? Contributed by [Romiette], lindstar, A.Dream.Within.A.Dream., among others.

A. That is absolutely correct! Continuous abstinence is the safest form of birth control available. However there are three very pressing issues when addressing abstinence. First and foremost some men and women find that continues abstinence is very difficult. A second issue that must be addressed is that many men and women who chose to end their abstinence will do so without any form of birth control whatsoever. And finally, there is a growing trend to engage in oral and a**l sex in order to preserve their "virginity," although oral and a**l sex also comes with risks. It is best to educate yourself on birth control and carry a condom with you even if you chose to remain abstinent. Learning on how to practice safe sex is important for everyone's health.

Q. I noticed that there wasn't any information for Canada or Europe in your post... Contributed by forever_fears and FAMOUScriminal.

A. This list is still incomplete at this time. As information becomes available to me, I'll adopt as necessary. Because most women have access to reduced-cost birth control in Europe, my current goal is to list programs available in North America. I plan on adding Europe to my list in the very near future.

Q. Can I douche after unprotected vaginal sex to prevent pregnancy?

A. No. Douching will not prevent prevent pregnancy after unprotected sex. On the contrary douching may actually force sperm that is collected in the seminal pool into the uterus, and therefore may actually increase your likelihood of becoming pregnant. Jumping up and down, squatting, standing, or queefing are also ineffective at preventing pregnancy. If you have engaged in unprotected sex, you can take an emergency contraceptive pill to prevent sperm from fertilizing the egg.

Q. What is Plan B?

A. Plan B is an emergency contraceptive medication. It is a pill that can be taken up to 120 hours after unprotected sex to prevent sperm from fertilizing an egg. The sooner it is taken, the more effective it is. In the United States, you may be able to purchase emergency contraceptive and almost any pharmacy or supermarket without a prescription. Some restrictions include age (must be 18 years old or over. Women under the age of 18 must have a prescription) or the state you live in.

Q. Does emergency contraception cause abortion?

A. No. Emergency contraception only prevents the fertilization of an egg. Emergency contraception is not an abortion pill. It is completely ineffective if taken after 120 hours of unprotected sex.

Q. I am against hormonal birth control because I feel it is unnatural/my doctor has recommended that I do not take hormones. Are there any other options for me?

A. YES! There are many non-hormonal birth control options. Over the counter birth control options include condoms, sponges, and spermicide. Some prescription birth control methods, like Paragard (an IUD) use copper as an alternative to hormonal birth control. Your doctor will be able to tell you what method would be best for your lifestyle.

Q. I am a homosexual/bisexual male. How can I practice safe sex?

A. All sexually active people should use a condom every time they have sex. Any contact with bodily fluids increases your likelihood of contracting an STD. Using a condom while engaging in oral sex, for example, will prevent contact with bodily fluids and is therefore a safer alternative to oral sex without a condom. Like any other sexually active couple, it is best to get yourself and your partner tested for STDs prior to engaging in sex activities.

Q. I am a homosexual/bisexual female. How can I practice safe sex?

A. Many lesbians, as well as bisexual women who have sex with other women, incorrectly assume that they are not at risk for contracting sexually transmitted infections. Barrier methods such as dental dams can be used to prevent the risk of contracting sexually transmitted diseases. Like any other sexually active couple, it is best to get yourself and your partner tested for STDs prior to engaging in sex activities.

Q. How effective would the pill combined with withdrawal be? Contributed by: Mara_Tanner.

A. 27 out of 100 women who use withdrawal as their primary form of birth control will become pregnant with their first year of use.

Seven out of 100 women who use the pill as their primary form of birth control will become pregnant within their first year of typical use. Three women will become pregnant with perfect use.

Using a combination pill along with withdrawal is 99.98% effective with perfect use (ALWAYS taking the pill on time and ALWAYS pulling out in time), but only 97.84% effective with typical use. Progestin-only pills, however, are 99.98% effective with perfect use but only 97.3% effective with typical use.

To increase the likelihood of not becoming pregnant, it is important to take the pill everyday and at the same time of day. The pill loses its effectiveness if taken two hours later than usual, so it is essential to remain vigilant with your routine. This is why you are given a placebo during your week off the pill -- the placebo keeps you in the routine of taking a pill everyday.

If you do not feel that the pill will fit into your lifestyle (perhaps you have an inconsistent schedule or are likely to forget to take a pill) there are other forms of long-term birth control that you could try such as the patch or the shot. Your doctor will be able to tell you what birth control will work with your lifestyle the best.

Q. What are the risk factors involved when using spermicides and sponges? Suggested by Fizzlesticks

A. Every form of birth control has certain risks involved. Some forms of birth control are less effective in preventing pregnancy than others, some forms of birth control may cause irregular periods, and others may not even be available in your area. Spermicides and sponges have certain side effects that are unique.

Spermicides (whether it is a film, foam, gel, or suppository) and sponges contain nonoxynol-9, a chemical used to immobilize sperm. These over-the-counter methods of birth control can be used along with condoms to provide additional protection against pregnancy, and are advantageous because they are inexpensive and are widely available. Possible disadvantages of using spermicides and sponges, however, must be considered before you and your partner decide to use this form of birth control as part of your safe sex routine.

Nonoxynol-9 may increase your chances of contracting a sexually transmitted disease if your partner is infected because it causes small tears along the vaginal wall. Due to the very nature of the product itself, it encourages build-up along the wall. This creates an ideal environment for viruses to enter your body. This is why it is very important for you and your partner to be tested for STD/STIs -- even if you were both virgins or are in a monogamous relationship.

Secondly, nonoxynol-9 may cause itching or irritation in both partners. If you experience irritation or itching while using spermicides or sponges, talk to your partner and consider changing birth control methods. Sometimes switching brands or switching to a different spermicide (for example, switching from a foam to a film) may solve this problem.

Finally, nonoxynol-9 may cause urinary tract infections in women.

If you decide that spermicides or sponges might be right for your lifestyle, be sure to read the package instructions completely before use. In most cases you must use spermicides at least fifteen minutes prior to engaging vaginal sex. Sponges can be inserted up to twenty-four hours before vaginal sex, but must be left in for at least six hours after vaginal sex to ensure protection. If you are unable to use tampons for whatever reason, then you may be unable to use a sponge. Sponges also carry the same risk of TSS (toxic shock syndrome) as tampons.

Q. What is the patch? Contributed by crosstoe

A.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The patch (Ortho Evra) is a plastic patch that sticks to the skin. It can be placed on the upper outer arm, buttocks, stomach, or upper torso once a week for three weeks in a row. No patch is used for the fourth week. It works by releasing a combination of progesterone and estrogen, and is effective at preventing pregnancy for one month. This combination of hormones prevent the release of an egg during ovulation.

Every form of birth control has risks involved, and the patch can be less effective if worn improperly. Ideally, you'd replace the patch at the same day of the week for three weeks in a row. Chances of becoming pregnant increase if the patch falls off during the first 24 hours of putting it on, or if the same patch is used for two weeks in a row. It's failure rate is between 1-8% during your first year of use. For more information about Ortho Evra (the patch) go here.

Q. I've been on the depo shot for the last two years, but I'm considering another form of birth control, because a)going to germany and b)causes very annoying mood swings.
I've never been on the pill because I know I'm much too forgetful to take it everyday.
What other forms of long term contraceptive are there and the pros and cons?
Contributed by crosstoe

A. There are many forms of long-term birth control available. You may want to check with your local family planning clinic to see what methods are available in your particular area:

- Hormonal Intrauterine devices (IUDs): Hormonal IUDs, such as Minerva, is a plastic T-shaped device that is inserted into the uterus. It releases small amount of hormones to prevent pregnancy. Advantages of using hormonal IUDs is that they are effective for up to five years, and are one of the cheapest forms of long-term birth control available. A disadvantage, however, is that IUDs are difficult to insert into women who have never had children before.

- Non-hormonal Intrauterine devices (IUDs): Non-hormonal IUDs, such as Paragard, use copper to prevent sperm from fertilizing the egg, and also thickens cervical mucus to prevent sperm from entering the uterus. Advantages include cheap long-term birth control that can last up to five years. Copper-based IUDs can also be used as a form of emergency contraception. Disadvantages include a difficult insertion if the women has never born children before, and it may not be available where you live (Paragard is the only non-hormonal IUD available in the US, and your doctor must be specially trained in IUD insertion).

- NuvaRing: The NuvaRing is a flexible ring that is inserted into the v****a for three weeks. It releases low doses of estrogen and progestin. Advantages include easy insertion, only has to be used once every three weeks, and a very low risk of harming an unborn child if you become pregnant during use. Some women, however, claim that they can feel the ring when it is inserted so many women chose to discontinue use after their first year.

- The Patch: The birth control patch (The Patch/Ortho Evra) is a plastic patch that is applied directly on to the skin. A new patch is applied once a week for three weeks in a row, which is then followed by a patch-free week (in which you'll have your period). It releases the same hormones found in combination birth control pills. Unlike the pill, however, you do not have to worry about taking a daily pill. There are some disadvantages to the patch, however: certain medications interfere with the effectiveness of the patch, and there is a chance that you may develop some serious side effects such as blood clots or jaundice. Talk to your doctor to see if the patch is right for you.

Planned Parenthood has an excellent resource about the different forms of birth control that are available, what the advantages of using them are, possible side effects, their effectiveness, and cost. You can check out their online resource here: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control.htm

Q. I was wondering about where you can get dental dams easily? Contributed by Is_THIS_Your_Name

A. Dental dams can be purchased at most adult shops. Trustex brand condoms, for example, even has their own line of flavored dental dams. In a pinch you can also slice a condom open, open a latex glove, or even use Saran wrap.

Q. Is it true that birth control will cause weight gain and increase the size of your breasts? Contributed by fiage

A.
M. T. Williams, PHD of Epigee.org
While weight gain is a very common side effect of hormonal methods of birth control, how much a woman will gain tends to vary. Weight gain is due to an increase in appetite and easier fat deposition as a result of the increase in hormones. On average, women who use Depo-Provera tend to gain 5.4lbs during the first year of use and 8.1lbs after two years. Women who use the birth control pill gain, on average, about 10lbs during the first year of use. However, these are only averages; some women may gain more while others may not gain any weight at all. Most women find that the weight comes off easily once they have stopped using this type of birth control.

You can learn more about why some women experience weight gain while taking oral contraceptives here: BIRTH CONTROL: Contraceptive FAQs and also Contracept.org.

Links of Interest:

How does pregnancy happen?: This short animated movie is a humorous and educational short on how and when pregnancy happens.

TeenWire: An online resource for sexually active teens.

Planned Parenthood: An organization dedicated to give women reduced-cost birth control options. Completely confidential and does not require parental permission.

The Gay and Lesbian Medical Association

Abstinence -- Is It Right for Me Now?

Official "Fizzlestick's Fantastic Safer Sex Kit" Thread: Interested in learning how to practice safe sex in a down-to-earth easy to read thread on Gaia? Fizzlesticks has created an excellent resource for both the novice and the experienced alike.

nice of youuuuuu to post.
Thank you!
*takes advantage of those free samples*

Yay, free Trojans and Astroglide! xD
Cheapest and most effective birth-control for teens = abstinence

Dapper Dabbler

x3 I just found a way to embarrass my boyfriend.
[Romiette]

for ALL people, not just teens >_>
but sex is too much fun to not have 8D
[Romiette]

That is true, but not all teens choose to be abstinent. Abstinent-only education leads to teen pregnancy, so it is best to keep the public educated about safe sex options.

(*reads siggy* You promote abstinence AND yaoi...? Aren't those... incongruent... of each other?)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff