Welcome to Gaia! ::

Any fans out there? What stage of Swans do you prefer? The harsh, insane early phase? Once Jarboe was added in? Or the resurgance they're making now with My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky and The Seer?

Each album has their own merits (even The Burning World) in my mind. Michael Gira's very talented. My favorite albums are White Light from the Mouth of Infinity, Soundtracks for the Blind, and Holy Money

I'm also a HUGE fan of the Angels of Light and probably prefer them to Swans. How I Loved You being the clear, clear favorite of those albums. The openers and closers are something immense.

Friend

He is one of my most favorites!! I like everything he's done, from the beginning to now... I really like The Great Annihilator, White Light from the Mouth of Infinity, Children of God, Soundtracks for the Blind...

And I looooooooove Angels of Light, and I think I prefer them to Swans as well. New Mother is one of my most favorite albums of all time. <3 smile smile smile
Eschatological
He is one of my most favorites!! I like everything he's done, from the beginning to now... I really like The Great Annihilator, White Light from the Mouth of Infinity, Children of God, Soundtracks for the Blind...

And I looooooooove Angels of Light, and I think I prefer them to Swans as well. New Mother is one of my most favorite albums of all time. <3 smile smile smile

You're a cool person biggrin

Checked your profile: Natural Snow Buildings, Slint, Andrew Bird, The For Carnation, Alcest. So many more good bands, love them all.
Swans is like, one of my top 3 favorite bands of all time (probably number 2... after Smashing Pumpkins, lol, since I grew up with 'em. But where the Pumpkins have major letdowns, Swans I find flawless).
I'm really crazy about 'em, lol. My favorite period is with Jarboe though, my particular most favorite album is Children of God(/World of Skin). It was the first album of theirs I listened to, and it left me feeling very depressed for a whole week (esp. since I'd listen to it while asleep, got to me subliminally!). It really shook me up, I consider it the dreariest album ever, personally.
I'm hoping to see Swans play again this coming September... two days after my bday. =D I met Gira before too a few months ago, real gentleman!

Friend

TheBlueRogue
Eschatological

You're a cool person biggrin

Checked your profile: Natural Snow Buildings, Slint, Andrew Bird, The For Carnation, Alcest. So many more good bands, love them all.

yay you are cooooooooool, I think?? hahahaha. I heart music.
Excluding the obvious pick for Soundtracks as their best album, I have to say my favorite period of Swans was their earliest. With their s/t, Filth, Cop, and Greed, Swans made some of the heaviest and emotionally powerful music of the late 80's. Something about hearing those guitars just crush down, and seep into my body feels so good.
Recently got into Swans. I don't know too much but I know I like what I've heard.
I'm seeing Swans in November in St. Louis, getting really excited for it.
What do you recommend for a first time Swans listener? I'm very interested in Michael Gira's work and have seen many interviews, but the Swans discography is huge and I want an entry point.
Dinosaur Sounds
What do you recommend for a first time Swans listener? I'm very interested in Michael Gira's work and have seen many interviews, but the Swans discography is huge and I want an entry point.

Yeah, they have a vast discography, I'd say it depends on your taste where to start, really.

An "easy" place to start is The Great Annihilator, the songs here are easier to digest, I feel. It's the closest Swans get to more conventional song structures (aside their more acoustic driven stuff).

Children of God/World of Skin is where I started and my personal favorite. It's not easy to listen to, I'd say it's their most nihilistic, bleakest and depressing album. It's a more atmospheric, goth rock/post-punk vibe (yet keeping their repetitive no wave structures). I feel it shows Jarboe's skills best too.

Soundtracks for the Blind is if you like post-rock (but still touches other genres). It's an atmospheric creepy and surreal album, their most experimental. You can hear the big influence it had on bands like Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

The early stuff is if you like aggressive no wave, early industrial metal, sludge metal, noise rock, stuff like that. For that... I dunno, The Young God EP and Filth. As a point of reference, this stuff's along the lines of Teenage Jesus & the Jerks and very early Sonic Youth. Godflesh borrowed really heavily from this sound.

For the more acoustic-driven stuff (that reflects best with Gira's later band, Angels of Light), I'd say go with the Various Failures b-side comp... it combines material (but doesn't include everything) from The Burning World, White Light From the Mouth of Infinity, and Love of Life. This stuff is also more "conventionally" structured and melodic, so easier to get into. But I personally feel this stuff isn't the best place to start to reflect Swans sound.
Good words, Shadowolf. I definitely think there are some Swan albums that are bad starting places.

And now that The Seer has come out. What do you all think? All I can say is JESUS CHRIST.

Contender for one of my favorite records this year, easily. All of the guests? Alan and Mimi from Low, Ben Frost, Akron/Family, Jarboe, and Karon O? Pretty amazing collaboration.

The Seer and The Seer returns are probably my favorite one-two punch of that album, though Lunacy and A Piece of the Sky are great too. ********, the whole album is great, who am I kidding.

Clean Member

pizza!!lmao
Shadowolf
Dinosaur Sounds

Yeah, they have a vast discography, I'd say it depends on your taste where to start, really.

An "easy" place to start is The Great Annihilator, the songs here are easier to digest, I feel. It's the closest Swans get to more conventional song structures (aside their more acoustic driven stuff).

Children of God/World of Skin is where I started and my personal favorite. It's not easy to listen to, I'd say it's their most nihilistic, bleakest and depressing album. It's a more atmospheric, goth rock/post-punk vibe (yet keeping their repetitive no wave structures). I feel it shows Jarboe's skills best too.

Soundtracks for the Blind is if you like post-rock (but still touches other genres). It's an atmospheric creepy and surreal album, their most experimental. You can hear the big influence it had on bands like Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

The early stuff is if you like aggressive no wave, early industrial metal, sludge metal, noise rock, stuff like that. For that... I dunno, The Young God EP and Filth. As a point of reference, this stuff's along the lines of Teenage Jesus & the Jerks and very early Sonic Youth. Godflesh borrowed really heavily from this sound.

For the more acoustic-driven stuff (that reflects best with Gira's later band, Angels of Light), I'd say go with the Various Failures b-side comp... it combines material (but doesn't include everything) from The Burning World, White Light From the Mouth of Infinity, and Love of Life. This stuff is also more "conventionally" structured and melodic, so easier to get into. But I personally feel this stuff isn't the best place to start to reflect Swans sound.

Greatly appreciate the detailed response. I will make a note of everything you said and begin my journey through their works.

Newbie Noob

2,950 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Market Browser 100
Caught the Swans live for the first time in Denver, CO 2011. It was one of the greatest shows I've seen. Haven't really listened to them as extensively as I should hope, but I'm making the effort. I've moved away from listening to a lot of noise/ambient type music and more into underground goth music. I waver back and forth really. Jarboe has an angel's voice.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff