10,850 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
Caerthakatha
For Tomorrow
Caerthakatha
For Tomorrow
Thanks for your input xD I think those are pretty fair points! And yeah, I know it may sound weird for an English speaker, but sometimes the Subject/Object/Verb (SOV) grammar placement feels right for me. I also have an odd curiosity of meeting the people there. I wonder how many people are in each class?
User Image

I've done a bit of research into class size out of curiosity: it says 50 or so apply at the start of the
year, and only 16 will go on to graduate at the end of the course. But if you make it through the
first year (which 25 or so generally do), you'll probably graduate. It's the gruelling grammar drills in
the first year that make people drop out -- there's apparently one teacher who drills handwriting so
much that when the students go abroad in Year 3, Japanese people tell them they've never seen
handwriting so neat.

(Oh, and a pointer: they have a hiragana and katakana test right away to test handwriting, and
even those who take it for years usually fail that because their handwriting isn't good enough. xD
Sometimes they take it three or four times to get it perfect.)

And I understand what you mean about the order of words. I like it because it makes it hard to
interrupt people: you have to listen to what they're saying at the end to find out what it is they're
on about.
It sounds scary, but I'm actually willing to do it! When I heard that only 16 graduate, It rocked me a little bit... But I think I (hopefully) can make it... Oooouuugh...
User Image

It's a huge amount of work, but it's apparently all worth it. The trick is apparently to not care
how you're progressing compared to the others in the class, or else it rocks your confidence
and you won't make it. Quite often you get the people who know nothing of Japanese other
than the hiragana and katakana they're required to know to join the course graduating and
the people who took it at GCSE and A-Level realising the others are catching up by the first
semester and drop out because they think they're 'falling behind'.

I've doubted it from time to time, but then I realised that I would regret it if I didn't go. They
all seem so friendly and supportive, and I'm sure I could do it if I just studied as hard as I
could. I'd end up continuing my Japanese studies either way because I've come too far to
just give up on it, so I may as well go on to be more advanced over four years of hard graft
with people who know what they're doing than feeling as though I'm getting nowhere. It also
apparently opens a lot of doors for you, too: it shows you're capable of the language and more.

Well, if you can learn Japanese, you can learn pretty much everything, right? xd

I live in Devonshire, there isn't a lot of support so I've mostly been self-teaching myself. I know the alphabets already, of course. Do you think I'm at a disadvantage for not taking it in A-Level/GCSE? (If the option was there, I would have jumped at the chance!)

Dangerous Loiterer

For Tomorrow
Caerthakatha
For Tomorrow
Caerthakatha
For Tomorrow
Thanks for your input xD I think those are pretty fair points! And yeah, I know it may sound weird for an English speaker, but sometimes the Subject/Object/Verb (SOV) grammar placement feels right for me. I also have an odd curiosity of meeting the people there. I wonder how many people are in each class?
User Image

I've done a bit of research into class size out of curiosity: it says 50 or so apply at the start of the
year, and only 16 will go on to graduate at the end of the course. But if you make it through the
first year (which 25 or so generally do), you'll probably graduate. It's the gruelling grammar drills in
the first year that make people drop out -- there's apparently one teacher who drills handwriting so
much that when the students go abroad in Year 3, Japanese people tell them they've never seen
handwriting so neat.

(Oh, and a pointer: they have a hiragana and katakana test right away to test handwriting, and
even those who take it for years usually fail that because their handwriting isn't good enough. xD

And I understand what you mean about the order of words. I like it because it makes it hard to
interrupt people: you have to listen to what they're saying at the end to find out what it is they're
on about.
It sounds scary, but I'm actually willing to do it! When I heard that only 16 graduate, It rocked me a little bit... But I think I (hopefully) can make it... Oooouuugh...
User Image

It's a huge amount of work, but it's apparently all worth it. The trick is apparently to not care
how you're progressing compared to the others in the class, or else it rocks your confidence
and you won't make it. Quite often you get the people who know nothing of Japanese other
than the hiragana and katakana they're required to know to join the course graduating and
the people who took it at GCSE and A-Level realising the others are catching up by the first

I've doubted it from time to time, but then I realised that I would regret it if I didn't go. They
all seem so friendly and supportive, and I'm sure I could do it if I just studied as hard as I
could. I'd end up continuing my Japanese studies either way because I've come too far to
just give up on it, so I may as well go on to be more advanced over four years of hard graft
with people who know what they're doing than feeling as though I'm getting nowhere. It also
apparently opens a lot of doors for you, too: it shows you're capable of the language and more.

Well, if you can learn Japanese, you can learn pretty much everything, right? xd

I live in Devonshire, there isn't a lot of support so I've mostly been self-teaching myself. I know the alphabets already, of course. Do you think I'm at a disadvantage for not taking it in A-Level/GCSE? (If the option was there, I would have jumped at the chance!)
User Image

I've been self-teaching for two years now, so I understand how you feel. From what I've heard,
people who have had the advantage of taking it at A-Level only have an advantage during the
first semester, because the A-Level is mostly vocab and only basic grammar. The course is
designed to be intensive and from scratch, so by the time you get to the second semester,
everybody is near enough equal. Not to mention that most of the students help one another
anyway, because they arrange class meet-ups at sushi bars with their Japanese friends and
practise Japanese around the campus to confuse people.

I would have loved to take the language at school, though...

Ooh, and something that made me confident: I was looking at some posts made in Japanese
by some of the students who were either going into their second year, and they were at around
the same level I'm at right now after two years, so I can't imagine how good they'd be after the
second or third years. 8D

Riunite's Fav

Assimilated Player

10,850 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
Caerthakatha
For Tomorrow
Caerthakatha
For Tomorrow
Caerthakatha
For Tomorrow
User Image

handwriting so neat.

on about.
User Image

User Image

I've been self-teaching for two years now, so I understand how you feel. From what I've heard,
people who have had the advantage of taking it at A-Level only have an advantage during the
first semester, because the A-Level is mostly vocab and only basic grammar. The course is
designed to be intensive and from scratch, so by the time you get to the second semester,
everybody is near enough equal. Not to mention that most of the students help one another
anyway, because they arrange class meet-ups at sushi bars with their Japanese friends and
practise Japanese around the campus to confuse people.

I would have loved to take the language at school, though...

Ooh, and something that made me confident: I was looking at some posts made in Japanese
by some of the students who were either going into their second year, and they were at around
the same level I'm at right now after two years, so I can't imagine how good they'd be after the
second or third years. 8D

I actually can't express how helpful this conversation is.

I was scared that the first year would be spending the first three months teaching me Hiragana and Katakana or something; now I realise how silly I was being xd I'm so happy that you were able to read them!! It makes me feel like I should keep going until I can reach University! spigjislgjdlkgdklgjkldfgkldfgkldfgjl

Dangerous Loiterer

For Tomorrow

I was scared that the first year would be spending the first three months teaching me Hiragana and Katakana or something; now I realise how silly I was being xd I'm so happy that you were able to read them!! It makes me feel like I should keep going until I can reach University! spigjislgjdlkgdklgjkldfgkldfgkldfgjl
User Image

Glad to be of service! It's best to know as much as you can about something like this. It isn't as
though it's petty money for the course, so it's best to be sure you want to do it first. :3

I was worried about that too, but then I saw that you needed to learn it before you started and I
relaxed. Apparently the first year is so hard and gruelling because of the fast pace and how they
try to trick you into overstudying through certain things in the semester exams (they like to try
to get you to translate kanji you haven't learnt so you're motivated to learn a week or two ahead).

I've heard they set 20 - 30 kanji to learn per week, along with the regular grammar drills and the
module on culture made up of essays. So it's a matter of organisation and trying to stay ahead
of the pulse of the weekly kanji and writing assignments. Insofar as workload, it's apparently awful
and you need to be organised from the moment you get there. It's probably going to be a godsend
that the other students are friendly and will help you out in your spare time. But I suppose that's
just what university's like in general.

Witty Ladykiller

10,350 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Nerd 50
  • Survivor 150
You've basically described the hardest things I could imagine studying at Uni. Good luck to you both.

Riunite's Fav

Assimilated Player

10,850 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
Caerthakatha
For Tomorrow

User Image

Glad to be of service! It's best to know as much as you can about something like this. It isn't as
though it's petty money for the course, so it's best to be sure you want to do it first. :3

I was worried about that too, but then I saw that you needed to learn it before you started and I
relaxed. Apparently the first year is so hard and gruelling because of the fast pace and how they
try to trick you into overstudying through certain things in the semester exams (they like to try
to get you to translate kanji you haven't learnt so you're motivated to learn a week or two ahead).

I've heard they set 20 - 30 kanji to learn per week, along with the regular grammar drills and the
module on culture made up of essays. So it's a matter of organisation and trying to stay ahead
of the pulse of the weekly kanji and writing assignments. Insofar as workload, it's apparently awful
and you need to be organised from the moment you get there. It's probably going to be a godsend
that the other students are friendly and will help you out in your spare time. But I suppose that's
Intimidating!! I'm going to go and look up what the course is like on the web gonk I wonder what my parents would think if I take Japanese? Do your parents think you are wasting time and money or something? I'm worried that's what my parents will think.

Dangerous Loiterer

For Tomorrow
Caerthakatha
For Tomorrow

User Image

Intimidating!! I'm going to go and look up what the course is like on the web gonk I wonder what my parents would think if I take Japanese? Do your parents think you are wasting time and money or something? I'm worried that's what my parents will think.
User Image

My dad's a bit funny about the money because he's a cheapskate and even spending a couple
of hundred quid makes him need a sit down. But he loves that I'm taking Japanese: he never
went to university, so he wants me to go on and do what I want. He loves telling people about
it and how smart he thinks I am. He's figuring out how to sort out the money for the year abroad
at the minute, because it turns out you need a bank statement with £7,000 - £10,000 to prove
your family can support you. I think for that year you only pay a tiny bit of money to Sheffield
and that money is directly for your living in Japan.

Do what you want to do. Your parents should love that you want to take something that's classed
as a high-level subject in something that most people see as something crazy difficult. 83

May I ask what subjects you're doing at the moment? :3

Riunite's Fav

Assimilated Player

10,850 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
Caerthakatha
For Tomorrow
Caerthakatha
For Tomorrow

User Image

User Image

My dad's a bit funny about the money because he's a cheapskate and even spending a couple
of hundred quid makes him need a sit down. But he loves that I'm taking Japanese: he never
went to university, so he wants me to go on and do what I want. He loves telling people about
it and how smart he thinks I am. He's figuring out how to sort out the money for the year abroad
at the minute, because it turns out you need a bank statement with £7,000 - £10,000 to prove
your family can support you. I think for that year you only pay a tiny bit of money to Sheffield

Do what you want to do. Your parents should love that you want to take something that's classed
as a high-level subject in something that most people see as something crazy difficult. 83

Of course! English Literature & Language, ICT, and Creative Digital Media are the courses I'm currently taking.

My parents aren't poor, but they aren't rich either. I'm not sure how I feel about this gap year stuff sweatdrop

Dangerous Loiterer

For Tomorrow
Caerthakatha
For Tomorrow
Caerthakatha
For Tomorrow

User Image

User Image

Of course! English Literature & Language, ICT, and Creative Digital Media are the courses I'm currently taking.

My parents aren't poor, but they aren't rich either. I'm not sure how I feel about this gap year stuff sweatdrop
User Image

Same. I don't want to take a gap year, but I don't know about having this money. Although
we have a few years, and my sister's uni course is free and the money is going to my fees,
Dad's decided. I hope it's enough. That's what made me doubt going on the course for a while.

Ooh, how're you with ICT? Coping with the coursework all right?

IRL Cat

25,115 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
I don't know what I'd do if I had to pay £9000 per year for tuition - I guess I'd be in a lot more debt.

Dangerous Loiterer

Froggy
I don't know what I'd do if I had to pay £9000 per year for tuition - I guess I'd be in a lot more debt.
User Image

Yeah, it's going to be heavy. It's why I want to get into something like teaching or translating as
soon as I can. I've seen some sources saying that in Japan you can get around £50,000 per year
as a translator, which would help me pay it off within a few years if I could cut it.

The worst part about student debt is that it's so hard to find a good job, and you have to wait years
to get experience to get a good pay.

IRL Cat

25,115 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
Caerthakatha
Froggy
User Image

Yeah, it's going to be heavy. It's why I want to get into something like teaching or translating as
soon as I can. I've seen some sources saying that in Japan you can get around £50,000 per year
as a translator, which would help me pay it off within a few years if I could cut it.

The worst part about student debt is that it's so hard to find a good job, and you have to wait years

Well, that does depend a lot on what you're studying. I'm not sure if it's the same south of the border, but there is at least some time you can wait before paying back student loans for us, which I think is until you start earning more than £21,000 a year. Even then, we pay the loan back from our income, like a little bit extra tax, so it's not something you have to worry about paying back quickly. The problem is if you have a real non-student loan from the banks.

£50,000 a year is quite a lot for a starting salary... are living costs a lot more over there, or is the demand for translators just that high? With wages like that, I'd expect there'd be a lot of competition for positions.

Dangerous Loiterer

Froggy
Caerthakatha
Froggy
User Image

Well, that does depend a lot on what you're studying. I'm not sure if it's the same south of the border, but there is at least some time you can wait before paying back student loans for us, which I think is until you start earning more than £21,000 a year. Even then, we pay the loan back from our income, like a little bit extra tax, so it's not something you have to worry about paying back quickly. The problem is if you have a real non-student loan from the banks.

£50,000 a year is quite a lot for a starting salary... are living costs a lot more over there, or is the demand for translators just that high? With wages like that, I'd expect there'd be a lot of competition for positions.
User Image

Some places are so high. Tokyo is one of the most expensive places for living in the world, so I'm
not going to go there. I suppose it depends on how you do it. I heard that it's easier to work for
a company as their in-house translator because you then earn a good regular income rather than
waiting for the calls.

But the demand for English teachers is so high that they're willing to accept people with no
training in teaching or anything. Just being a native speaker is enough to get you the job and
you just follow what they tell you to teach. I'm assuming it's the same for translators, because
there's still so much terrible English in Japan.

Riunite's Fav

Assimilated Player

10,850 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
Caerthakatha
For Tomorrow
Caerthakatha
For Tomorrow
Caerthakatha
For Tomorrow

User Image

User Image

User Image

Same. I don't want to take a gap year, but I don't know about having this money. Although
we have a few years, and my sister's uni course is free and the money is going to my fees,
Dad's decided. I hope it's enough. That's what made me doubt going on the course for a while.

Ooh, how're you with ICT? Coping with the coursework all right?

((Sorry for the late reply again~~~))
Yes, money is such a big big big barrier. Some of my friends are outright saying that they can't go to Uni because they won't be able to pay it back. And my ICT is good, thanks! It's not much of a struggle really, my biggest threat right now is my English gonk xd How about yourself?

Dangerous Loiterer

For Tomorrow
((Sorry for the late reply again~~~))
Yes, money is such a big big big barrier. Some of my friends are outright saying that they can't go to Uni because they won't be able to pay it back. And my ICT is good, thanks! It's not much of a struggle really, my biggest threat right now is my English gonk xd How about yourself?
User Image

It's no problem, honestly. :3

I have a few friends who say that, too. One just completely dropped Sixth Form and became the
manager of a shoe shop when she was amazing at business. I felt it was a waste, if I'm honest.
Another had straight A*s in everything from being practically beaten by her mother and forced to
stay inside, and she went bonkers and completely disappeared when she came to Sixth Form,
along with her twin brother who also got As and A*s.

And it's good to hear about your ICT. I asked because I really struggled with the sheer amount
of coursework. I did everything to professional standard (because I had five years' experience
doing online graphics and that helped somewhat), but I ended up with half of the evaluations
missing and ended up with a U overall.

And everything's fine for me at the moment. I've already bagged A at AS in English Language,
and my coursework grades for A2 are coming back tomorrow, so fingers crossed that I do well
in that: we've had a terrible, useless teacher and nobody in my class is confident for the exam.
But I'm on my way to getting a strong A in Sociology (having got an A this time around) and I
have a chance of getting A* overall. For Psychology I currently have 2 marks from a B, so I may
get a B or an A if I really try. :3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces