Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magical Girl

22,575 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Team Jacob 100
Don't know if this is just a "me" thing, but it's really annoying when your thread that you thought hard about gets like -12 down votes.

Really, what's even the point of them anyway?

~How do you feel about Votes
~On any given day, what does the votes say about your thread?

Fluffy Creature

I'm neutral to them.
It really depends, people vote negative for many reasons. Like disagreeing with the topic's content or the user's attitude, if the topic's in the wrong place, misleading titles, if the user doesn't use proper grammar or comes off as unintelligent, or even petty reasons like having previous baggage with the user or not liking his or her avatar. Sometimes if a topic is critical of Gaia or a feature of Gaia, it can get downvotes from people who really like Gaia or that feature regardless of the coherency of the topic.

Man-Hungry Man-Lover

I vote willy nilly honestly. Probably 99% of the time I pay them no regard, but if it's like at zero, I'll either up or downvote it just to troll. Especially if it's like a heavy amount of votes.

I see them as a joke.

Rare

It's not that accurate of a general consensus of a topic and it gives people another reason not to post

Honestly I don't remember why they implemented that system in the first place.
I think they are good. Not perfect but it's a way to gauge the general opinion of a thread without sifting through several pages of trolling, fighting and the occasional serious discussion.

It's a shorthand tool and it works pretty OK. If I feel that my arguments against the OP gets ignored in the discussion then I can get retribution by downvoting. If I think the OP have something really brilliant going on then I vote up in hope that it will be a step towards popularity.

In short, it's a system that works best if the users are mature about it. If your thread isn't popular... you could be targeted by trolls, but most likely your fellow users just don't like your thread. No big deal and nothing worth getting upset over rolleyes

Dapper Werewolf

9,900 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Invisibility 100
Someone might be butt-hurt... ninja
Honestly though, if you are the type to get offended/hurt by that sort of thing, then don't post a thread topic. It'll save you from the pain of knowing that people hate you, your idea, and/or your writing style.
Even more seriously... People are trolls. If they can anomalously say that something is bad, then they will do it. I personally take negatively voted threads with a grain of salt. More often than not they're just people who really didn't find the thread important, or they are just people out to down vote.

Thankful Vegetarian

10,400 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
I like it.
If I don't like a user then they get a </3
biggrin

Magical Girl

22,575 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Team Jacob 100
TriggerSad
Honestly though, if you are the type to get offended/hurt by that sort of thing, then don't post a thread topic. It'll save you from the pain of knowing that people hate you, your idea, and/or your writing style.
Even more seriously... People are trolls. If they can anomalously say that something is bad, then they will do it. I personally take negatively voted threads with a grain of salt. More often than not they're just people who really didn't find the thread important, or they are just people out to down vote.

Is it really necessary to include a butt-hurt comment?
I mean really, grow up that's rude.

And what? I'm not allowed to dislike a voting system? I personally think it's a waste of time, that doesn't mean I'm butt-hurt. rofl

Dapper Werewolf

9,900 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Invisibility 100
Moon Crisis Make Up
TriggerSad

Is it really necessary to include a butt-hurt comment?
I mean really, grow up that's rude.

And what? I'm not allowed to dislike a voting system? I personally think it's a waste of time, that doesn't mean I'm butt-hurt. rofl

Note-to-self: Add /sarcasm to everything. heart

Friendly Friend

i honestly keep forgetting that it even exists

Scholarly Storyteller

57,450 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
TriggerSad

You may or may not have been sarcastic but....that actually happens.

It's my secret belief that that's why people are posting less topics nowadays that deviate from the "norm" of bland item discussions, update-related discussions, etc. . and less interesting topics too...

It discourages *cough* artists-of-questionable-skill *cough* from making shops because less skilled artists will get </3'd simply because their art sucks, not because the shop is necessarily bad or has bad service. It's a very mean system overall. Useless when it comes judging the quality of a thread. Yes, misplaced threads do get </3d up the wazoo as a "sign" of being misplaced, but what's the point or good of it when people still post in the misplaced </3'd thread anyway? No point at all....

Unless the OP is really articulate and seems well-spoken, I see some normal/okay threads get </3'd just because the subject matter is negative or controversial. the system is really arbitrary when it comes to voting outside of SF (the only place where </3/<3 has a general consensus of meaning - good idea/bad idea).

BURN IT WITH FIREEEEE

btw this is my general rant to the situation not at you specifically triggersad. RANT RANT RANT

Hygienic Lover

6,950 Points
  • Egg Collector 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Lapin Patrol Avior: Victory! 50
Your last topic may have been voted down because "Damn gurl, you kawaii" is really irrelevant and doesn't say anything about what the thread is actually about. Just sayin!

I've seen some decent thread get voted down, I guess if there's a chance of someone disagreeing with you (which there always is) prepare for a few votes down. I personally don't use it too much, and it makes me kind of nervous when I think about making a thread.

Gambino Medalist

9,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
Clearly you have never been to Reddit.

If a person gets enough upvotes though, it gets a popular or heated tag. It's pretty awesome!

Shameless Sex Symbol

14,950 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Brandisher 100
Heartlines
I like it.
If I don't like a user then they get a </3
biggrin
That constitutes abuse of the system, and it also makes you an a*****e.

HEY EVERYONE
DON'T BE LIKE THIS GUY

Judge a thread based on the validity of the discussion started, not the user posting it.

Undead Hellhound

16,725 Points
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Rebel Spark 50
see this is where i disagree with people using them as a joke or if someone dislikes someone. a dear friend of mine who isn't on gaia anymore was being harrased my an ex friend of hers. she had so many so many gift giving threads its not funny. her ex friend used all of his mules he had hundreds and he trolled my friends thread by getting it to 1000 downvotes. so i think downvoting can be a form of harassment. so i hate the thread voting system. and i dispise people how downvote like this.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff