Welcome to Gaia! ::

Man-Hungry Bear

Gaia online really included this as a name for a male body type in their new poll. (bottom post)
Not only stereotyping male and female bodies in negative ways, but using profanity to do so.

I find this absolutely ridiculous. Profiling men and women in negative ways promotes the uses of these descriptions being okay to name other people.
Considering this is a PG13 website, fatass isn't exactly profanity, but it is crude to say about people.
I was uncomfortable when it came to this section, right after showing me a bunch of catwoman art.

Was this a bad move when it comes to survey-making?

gaia_spoons

We have an update!

siskataya
Hey everyone!

Thanks so much for letting us know about this issue. We've closed the survey and will be reviewing the content to make sure it is appropriate. I want to reiterate that we love Gaians of all shapes, sizes, and orientations. We're very sorry this content ever went out and we want you to know that it is not what we think of anyone. We will continue to improve our survey process to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Take care! biggrin
Sisky

Zero Omega
Hello everyone,

We're terribly sorry that this went out and for any offense that it caused. We certainly did not mean to offend and it was an accident on our part. We've taken down the survey and reviewing the content to ensure that is appropriate for everyone.

Once again, we are terribly sorry for this and we will be fixing it. We certainly do not see or consider our users like this.

Announcement apology
User Image
Images below in the spoiler:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Invisible Player

The females were pretty bad as well. "Curvy aka Chubby ....Anorexic was a body type.

The inclusion of skinnyfat and builtfat made me giggle though.

Nimble Phantom

10,900 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Senpai's Notice 100
I'm super ******** pissed off, so I'd say yes, bad move!

Calling any woman's body that isn't stick thin "Chubby" "Fatty' or "WHALE" is outrageous, harmful, and disgusting. Young girls are on this site, and this is what they're being shown?

Don't even get me started on labelling the buff woman's body type as "Man". scream scream scream

I haven't seen what they've done with the men's though.
Using these images were a terrible decision. I really don't want to answer things with labelling like this. neutral

Really?!

Man-Hungry Bear

ProtectorofGlasses

Calling any woman's body that isn't stick thin "Chubby" "Fatty' or "WHALE" is outrageous, harmful, and disgusting. Young girls are on this site, and this is what they're being shown?

Don't even get me started on labelling the buff woman's body type as "Man". scream scream scream

Questing :
User Image
Formula 1: Fallen Quest Inizio 0/1
30,000,000 / 70,000,000(?)
Am also collecting:
    All Trash, Flowers, Bugs
    Guppy & Bubble Eyed Fish
    Wing Tree Leafs, Tires, Boots, Cans,
    Bachelor's Credits, Screws, Plastic,
    Branches, Pink Flamingo Feathers
        They listed one for men literally as "fat as fatass" with a man's beer belly.

Perfect Pumpkin

I was pretty concerned as well. More than anything else, I'm upset that there was no option to say I didn't give a ********]

Fuzzy Kitten

Yes this was a terrible move.
It is extremely offensive and unprofessional how they worded most of those body types.
I can't fathom what went through the creators mine when they made that survey. I feel like a rude 12 year old made that survey.
I can guarantee there are a LOT of pissed off/offended gaians out there.

Nimble Phantom

10,900 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Senpai's Notice 100
E EQUALS C8H10N4O2
ProtectorofGlasses

Questing :
User Image
Am also collecting:
    All Trash, Flowers, Bugs
    Guppy & Bubble Eyed Fish
        They listed one for men literally as "fat as fatass" with a man's beer belly.

Yeah, I just saw it. I had hoped you were exaggerating gonk That is the meanest one, and I can't imagine how any boy or man with that body type felt seeing that.

Trash

User Image
I had to double-check to make sure this was actually a GAIA survey, and not something I actually clicked.

I don't even know what to say about it..

Edit: Actually, I DO know what to say.

SHAME ON YOU GAIA. This crossed the ******** line.

Man-Hungry Bear

Firiona
Using these images were a terrible decision. I really don't want to answer things with labelling like this. neutral

Really?!
Questing :
User Image
Am also collecting:
    All Trash, Flowers, Bugs
    Guppy & Bubble Eyed Fish
        Thank you for the images.

Unholy Spark

42,875 Points
  • Haunting Echo 75
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Wintersday Bard 50
Yeeeah. I was pretty shocked to see Gaia would use those images. I mean, it would not have been hard for a Gaia artist, or even some intern to take the image they clearly Googled and Photoshop out the derogatory terms with something as simple as numbers.

Gaia is not trying very hard to keep people comfortable on their site. Whoever made that survey, good job being a sexist, rude dickbag.

Shameless Nerd

Firiona

Really?!

Sooo glad I opted out of taking that survey. That's disgusting. scream

Profitable Prophet

There are no words.

What the hell, Gaia.

Man-Lover

Fat as fatass was like....wtf

Millionaire

dramallama whale

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff