Welcome to Gaia! ::

As a matter of personal opinion, I dislike the Gaia thread rating system in general but this discussion pertains particularly to the Art forums and why I feel the rating system is impractical there.

I do see the usefulness of the “</3” button pertaining to discussions. It’s a quick, convenient means of communicating your disagreement (perhaps for people who are too lazy to hash out a coherent response and hit the post button?) However, I really can’t see the functionality of this feature in the Art Forums including subforums like writing.

To me, I can only think of three “legitimate” reasons to </3 an art thread and then I will explain why even these three reasons really aren’t legit at all imho.

1) You think the person’s art is ugly.
You’re entitled to your opinion, absolutely. However, unless stated otherwise most artists are not creating shops because they are looking for you to critique their work. That’s what the art arena and pricing suggestions forums are for. They are just trying to make gold. If you don’t like the art they are offering, don’t buy it. Gaia considers it harassment to post criticism in an art thread; things like “Your art sucks”, “Your proportions make me want to throw up”, and “Cataracts much?” yet Gaia provided an anonymous option to do essentially the exact same thing only less-specific and without repercussions? Very few users “</3” an art thread and then explain why. First off, it is not the place for it unless the artist asked to be critiqued and to reiterate, doing so can be considered harassment if the artist did not request critiques.

2) You think the prices are too high.
Well per the forum rules, “It is the artists prerogative to price their at how they wish” (direct quote). It is my understanding that openly criticizing an artist’s prices for being too high can be perceived as harassment and if classified as harassment may be reported. By my reasoning, the </3 system allows anonymous harassment of artists. The “like” button on Facebook attaches your name to anything you approve of by clicking the button. I think Facebook had the foresight not to implement a dislike button but if they do in the future, I am certain they will be astute enough to attach your name to your sentiments. You have a right to your opinions but you are also accountable for your opinions! Own up people!

3) You received art that was not up to par with the quality of the samples or that has inaccuracies from the refs you provided, or other issues such as long wait times, etc.
Here the artist is in the wrong but I’m a firm believer in talking things out respectfully instead of spamming the </3 button with all of your mule accounts. Hopefully, the artist is a reasonable person but if you have a problem with an artist then contact a moderator; it’s their job to keep the peace and talk reason into unreasonable citizens.

“Remember that artists are giving up their time to create art for virtual items, so treat them respectfully.” What a great sentiment Gaia! Then why create a tool for users to throw tomatoes at artists?

gaia_spoons Do you agree that the rating system has no place in art shops? Disagree?
gaia_spoons Can you think of any other threads where </3’s might be counterproductive?

INB4: You’re just a butthurt artist.
It is rather discouraging to see unknowns dislike my art that I put effort into creating. So yes I guess my butt does hurt? Can you kiss it better for me? classified_fullmoon

Lucky Saint

15,000 Points
  • Alchemy Level 8 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
User Image

now take that, and put it everywhere. Even mroe so Charities.
8-Bit Revolution
Yes I didn't think of charities at the time! But absolutely! biggrin

Lucky Saint

15,000 Points
  • Alchemy Level 8 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
boketto
8-Bit Revolution
And let's not forget Lifestyle Discussion >.<

But the GCD is far worst in terms of unknown dislikes. Bunch of Dasiy we are over here. 3nodding
8-Bit Revolution
boketto
8-Bit Revolution
And let's not forget Lifestyle Discussion >.<

But the GCD is far worst in terms of unknown dislikes. Bunch of Dasiy we are over here. 3nodding
Art forums isn't even that bad with the downvotes most times. I just question why it's there in the first place. People are trying to sell their art, not posting asking the community to give their opinion on it. There are other venues on this site for art critiques.

Same with charities... what is there to dislike about someone giving their stuff away for free??
All I can think of is: people are offended because they didn't get any handouts. (Likewise, people downvoting an art thread because they're angry over not being chosen.)

Oh I also forgot to mention sign shops. It's much worse if someone </3's your face lol.

Tipsy Lunatic

I don't like the dislike/like button much at all.

Gaia is a forum. Therefore there is supposed to be discussion - no matter how stupid it can tend to be. The Like/Dislike feature does not encourage discussion in the least and it allows for trolling.

I don't like making threads anymore because of the dislike button.
Not because it hurts my feelings to have the number go into the negatives, but because it drives me insane because I want to know WHY people don't like whatever I said. It's absolutely hair pulling.

IRL Glitch

24,725 Points
  • Olympian 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
        It's kinda pointless in most forums aside from maybe SF and it's subforums. I feel similarly about people </3'ing glow threads - what the free gold wasn't good enough? Most long term threads in there have a "popular" status anyway, just seems pointless. I definitely see where you're coming from with the </3'ing in minishops..
        And then there are often people who just </3 threads if they don't like the person running it. I know that's the case in one of the shops I'm in.
The Drunken Jester
I don't like the dislike/like button much at all.

Gaia is a forum. Therefore there is supposed to be discussion - no matter how stupid it can tend to be. The Like/Dislike feature does not encourage discussion in the least and it allows for trolling.

I don't like making threads anymore because of the dislike button.
Not because it hurts my feelings to have the number go into the negatives, but because it drives me insane because I want to know WHY people don't like whatever I said. It's absolutely hair pulling.

Totally agreed.

This is what I picture behind the screen when people push the dislike button and don't explain.

User Image
I DON'T LIKE THIS
but it's too difficult for me to gather my thoughts to explain why. </3.

Ihallaw's Significant Otter

Dedicated Capitalist

Well personally, I would prefer a </3 in my thread rather than a long, drawn out rant about crappy art, high prices, and bad service. I don't understand how a simple </3 can be called 'harassment'. The way you put it, it seems like you want everyone to be in a cloud of 'omg, I'm so loved whee '.
Denham
        It's kinda pointless in most forums aside from maybe SF and it's subforums. I feel similarly about people </3'ing glow threads - what the free gold wasn't good enough? Most long term threads in there have a "popular" status anyway, just seems pointless. I definitely see where you're coming from with the </3'ing in minishops..
        And then there are often people who just </3 threads if they don't like the person running it. I know that's the case in one of the shops I'm in.
Ah you poor thing. I feel for ya.

User Image
User Image

Timid Prophet

I like the like/dislike buttons because they let me give quick feedback without going into detail, especially when I'd just be restating something a million other people have said already. I understand why people don't like them, though - this is a forum. Discussion is the entire point.

IRL Glitch

24,725 Points
  • Olympian 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
boketto
Denham
Ah you poor thing. I feel for ya.

User Image
User Image

Haha well I don't think I've been targeted just people I know. That's too bad people are </3'ing this thread.
42rd
Well personally, I would prefer a </3 in my thread rather than a long, drawn out rant about crappy art, high prices, and bad service. I don't understand how a simple </3 can be called 'harassment'. The way you put it, it seems like you want everyone to be in a cloud of 'omg, I'm so loved whee '.
I understand your opinion, totally. Just pointing out that people selling art aren't really asking for anyone's opinion or criticism, just trying to make some goldeens y'know; yet with the current system you can't post your art without succumbing to criticism. Personally I just feel it doesn't have a place there but of course some see its value. I did like the Gaia art forums much better before ratings cuz it felt like a more um nurturing and encouraging environment for artists to feel free to express themselves.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

What can I say? I'm a positivity kind of girl.
Denham
Haha well I don't think I've been targeted just people I know. That's too bad people are </3'ing this thread.
It's ok. The rating system here makes perfect sense to me cuz this is a (well, the) Gaia Comm. Discussion forum. Its purpose is expressing opinions. If it's how you wanna express how you feel about what I say, it's cool. That's what it's for. I don't wanna know if you think I draw ugly though. I never asked for that. Lol.
I would like more discussion from the downvoters though. I encourage dialogues. ^ _ ^

Scholarly Storyteller

57,450 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
SF is really the only place where <3/</3 has a practical meaning. Everywhere else it's just arbitrary and even unnecessary.

Even facebook dislikes the dislike button! They put thousands of dollars into these sorts of conclusions/information.

It's better if it's optional.

Even forced polls are way better than the forced <3/</3 system because polls actually have more descriptive feedback for what it is that is being rated.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff