Welcome to Gaia! ::

I thought this would be a useful spin-off from | The Official Vegan & Vegetarian thread |. Herein you may find vegan and vegetarian recipes, separate from the extensive discussion of the original thread.

Update!
- New section added for useful websites!
- First recipe on page 10 gets a prize! CX
(note: this has to be a full, reasonable recipe; not something like
a salad sandwich or a minor modification on an instant food.)

Index of Recipes:

Vegan
Breakfasts
Pumpkin french toast -- Silverlight Angel
Vegan Pancakes! -- dokami-004
More vegan crepes! -- Crepe Aux Fraises

Light Meals and Sides
Rice Paper Rolls -- Flynn MacCumhaill
Braised carrots -- Duo-chan_in_wonderland
Oven roasted Fingerling potatoes -- Duo-chan_in_wonderland
Fast Fiesta Feast Pasta Salad -- Chokecherry
Mushroom Sauce or Gravy eveejoystar, from The Veggie Table
Vegetable rice -- The Zodikosis

Savory Meals
Spaghetti Dhalonaise -- Flynn MacCumhaill
Spaghetti Dhalonaise vII -- Flynn MacCumhaill
Pakistani Daal -- crazyleochic
Japanese-style veggie hotpot -- Flynn MacCumhaill
Black Bean Burgers -- dokami-004
Vegan Seitan Hot Wings -- dokami-004, from Vegan Dad
Golden Crispy Tofu -- dokami-004m from Vegan Dad
Hot and Sour Soup -- dokami-004
Panfried Tofu with Spicy Sauce -- Sakura Parfait
Ratatouille -- Jackie-Lane
Kung Pao Tofu -- Sakura Parfait
Creamy Tomato Pasta Sauce -- PerianArdocyl
Kimchi Pancake with Chopped Kimchi and with whole kimchi leaves -- Sakura Parfait
Base for larb, san choy bau, etc. -- Flynn MacCumhaill
Potato Soup -- maloxomo
Creamy Pumpkin, Leek, Asparagus and Pea Sauce for Gnocchi, Etc -- Flynn Maccumhaill
Spicy Lentil Soup -- FishandChips425

Desserts
Vegan Pancakes! -- dokami-004
More vegan crepes! -- Crepe Aux Fraises
Mujigae ddeok (Korean rainbow rice cake) -- Sakura Parfait
Banana in Coconut Milk -- Duo-chan_in_wonderland

Baking
[******** vegan earl grey ******** cupcakes". Apparently they are "to god damn die for." -- herr_doktor.exe , from Batter&Beat
Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake -- Calida, from Food Network
Chocolate cake -- Skjolddis
Vegan choc chip muffins Skjolddis, from VegWeb
Chocolate Cake -- dokami-004
Oatmeal Cookies. Apparently good for breakfast. -- maloxomo

Vegetarian
Light Meals, Sides, and Breakfasts
BritAurora's favourite vegetarian sandwich -- BritAurora
Mediterranean pasta salad -- The Zodikosis
Greek omelette -- The Zodikosis

Savory Meals
Pumpkin Squash Soup. Requires minor modifications (change chicken stock to vegetable stock, and if desired replace butter with vegetable oil for a vegan version) -- Duo-chan_in_wonderland
Veggie pizza -- Silva Tempus
Pad thai (omit egg for vegan) -- Duo-chan_in_wonderland
Portobello pizza sandwich -- The Zodikosis

Desserts

Useful Websites!
The Veggie Table
Veg Web
Vegan Dad
Spaghetti Dhalonaise!
About two servings

My partner's older sister, who is a vegetarian, substitutes tinned lentils for mince all the time, so she can keep cooking things that she used to like before going veggo. It works remarkably well, and even a meat-lover would have to admit, sometimes the result with lentils is better than the original.

240 g lentils, either tinned or dried and soaked, drained.
1/2 cup passata
1 carrot, grated
1 small zucchini, grated
Finely chopped mushrooms, to make up a similar portion to the carrot and zucchini (4 button mushrooms did it for me this time...)
Optional: A small portion of tofu, either silken or firm, chopped into small pieces
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed/minced
A couple of small sprigs of oregano, chopped finely
A small sprig of rosemary, chopped finely
Optional: chopped fresh parsley to serve
Water, amount determined by your cooking vessel of choice.

2 serves of the pasta of your choice, prepared as per the packet directions.

o In a large frypan or a saucepan, fry onion until translucent. Add garlic.
o Add lentils, grated vegetables, and tofu if using. Add enough water to half cover ingredients.
o Simmer for 10 minutes or more, until lentils are starting to get quite soft. You will probably need to keep adding more water.
o Once the lentils are getting quite soft, (though not falling apart... that's not the aim here...), allow some of the water to boil away, and add the passata, the oregano, and the rosemary. Allow to simmer for another ten minutes or so. (Or, as long as it takes you to cook your pasta. Now would be a good time to do that.)
o Serve, with a sprinkle of fresh parsley if desired.

This sauce (or at least a minor variation thereon, without the grated veggies...) can be and has been successfully used in lasagna and in a shepherd's pie, as well as on top of pasta.
You know... I made this same exact thread myself, since I have lots of recipes to share, and I got absolutely no replies.
I guess I'm not much of a thread making person.
But I don't want your thread to go the route of mine so I might post some of mine in a little.
Naynram Ukir
You know... I made this same exact thread myself, since I have lots of recipes to share, and I got absolutely no replies.
I guess I'm not much of a thread making person.
But I don't want your thread to go the route of mine so I might post some of mine in a little.

Thanks!

Sorry, I missed yours. TT^TT Had I seen it, I would have posted in it!
******** vegan earl grey ******** cupcakes. to god damn die for.

http://batterandbeat.blogspot.com/2010/05/vegan-earl-grey-cupcakes-with-lemon.html
[******** vegan earl grey ******** cupcakes. to god damn die for.

http://batterandbeat.blogspot.com/2010/05/vegan-earl-grey-cupcakes-with-lemon.html

Thanks, dok. They look great!

Thanks, dok. They look great!they're amazing. my favorite cupcake recipe and i'm not even vegan.

Thanks, dok. They look great!they're amazing. my favorite cupcake recipe and i'm not even vegan.

Definitely going to give them a shot. Sounds like a good way to procrastinate take a break from marking reports on the weekend.

Incidentally, I know a Herr Doktor on another forum. British guy, very sharp, whom I rather like. You wouldn't be one and the same, by any chance...?
Does no-one else cook?
I have a butternut squash soup recipe that I could share. I've been eating veg heavy dishes since I started gardening.

I do enjoy cooking, but dont have that many vegitarian/vegan things I make.
Duo-chan_in_wonderland
I have a butternut squash soup recipe that I could share. I've been eating veg heavy dishes since I started gardening.

I do enjoy cooking, but dont have that many vegitarian/vegan things I make.

That sounds fantastic! ^__^
Alright, sorry its a bit long >.>; Its a good thing I already typed this out in a guild a while ago. I guess for a vegan or vegitarian version you would sub veg stock for chicken stock.

Ingredients (Recipe taken from the food network site, but Ill follow with my tweaks)

- 1 (2-3lbs) Butternut Squash, peeled and seeded.
- 2 tsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 Med Onion Chopped*
- 6 Cups Chicken Stock**
- Nutmeg
- Salt, and Freshly ground Pepper
- Dash of Cinnamon, Sprinkle of ground Cloves (The recipe doesnt call for these, but I think they compliment it well)

* I hate the taste of onions, so I always omit that ingredient myself. (I also feel it ruins the natural sweet flavor of the squash)
** The recipe calls for 6 cups, but this soup is supposed to be thick, so I find adding 4 then seeing if youd like a thinner consistency and adding more to your preference works best

Peel and slice the butternut squash in half down its middle, and scoop out its seeds and innards. Cut squash into 1-inch chunks. In large pot melt butter. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 8 minutes*. Add squash and stock. Bring to a simmer and cook until squash is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove squash chunks with slotted spoon and place in a blender and puree. Return blended squash to pot. Stir and season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Serve.

* If youve decided not to use the onion, add the squash chunks to the melted butter like its telling you for the onion, and just push it around in the pot for about ten min until its a bit tender... Then add the stock and simmer for the 20 min before blending.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Now that soup is delicious, but hey.... who doesnt try adding little things to recipes after theyve done them a few times? Heh. In this case, Ive added an Acorn Squash, as well as a Green apple to bump up the flavor. It just rounds out the sweet nuttyness with the squash and makes it just a little bit sweet/tart with the apple. Now again, these are just things that Ive found made it better, Im posting it separate so you dont have to do these addons to make the soup.... just to make it more special heh.

Acorn Squash (recipe taken from the food network site as well)

- 1 Acorn Squash, cut in half
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Pinch of Cinnamon
- 2 tbsp Butter, softened
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup*
- Salt, Freshly ground Pepper

* Since its going to be going in the soup thats already kind of sweet, I usually dont add the maple syrup

Scoop the seeds and stringy pulp out of the squash cavities and discard. In a small mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, syrup and salt and pepper, to taste. Rub the squash cavities and cut sides of the squash with the butter mixture and place them on a baking sheet, cut side up. Bake in the preheated oven for about 1 hour until the squash is tender when pierced with a fork.

To add it to the soup, just set it aside after youve gotten it out of the oven and wait for it to cool, then peel the skin off (Which should be relatively easy) and add to your simmering chunks of squash. Peel and slice the green apple and add those in as well. After its simmered for about 15 min and the chunks of stuff has gotten a bit more tender, remove with a slotted spoon and add to the blender. (If youre having trouble getting stuff to puree, just add a bit of the simmering stock to the blender.) And there we go~ I hope you all get a chance to enjoy this fantastic dish!
Duo-chan_in_wonderland
Alright, sorry its a bit long >.>; Its a good thing I already typed this out in a guild a while ago. I guess for a vegan or vegitarian version you would sub veg stock for chicken stock.

Ingredients (Recipe taken from the food network site, but Ill follow with my tweaks)

- 1 (2-3lbs) Butternut Squash, peeled and seeded.
- 2 tsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 Med Onion Chopped*
- 6 Cups Chicken Stock**
- Nutmeg
- Salt, and Freshly ground Pepper
- Dash of Cinnamon, Sprinkle of ground Cloves (The recipe doesnt call for these, but I think they compliment it well)

* I hate the taste of onions, so I always omit that ingredient myself. (I also feel it ruins the natural sweet flavor of the squash)
** The recipe calls for 6 cups, but this soup is supposed to be thick, so I find adding 4 then seeing if youd like a thinner consistency and adding more to your preference works best

Peel and slice the butternut squash in half down its middle, and scoop out its seeds and innards. Cut squash into 1-inch chunks. In large pot melt butter. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 8 minutes*. Add squash and stock. Bring to a simmer and cook until squash is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove squash chunks with slotted spoon and place in a blender and puree. Return blended squash to pot. Stir and season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Serve.

* If youve decided not to use the onion, add the squash chunks to the melted butter like its telling you for the onion, and just push it around in the pot for about ten min until its a bit tender... Then add the stock and simmer for the 20 min before blending.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Now that soup is delicious, but hey.... who doesnt try adding little things to recipes after theyve done them a few times? Heh. In this case, Ive added an Acorn Squash, as well as a Green apple to bump up the flavor. It just rounds out the sweet nuttyness with the squash and makes it just a little bit sweet/tart with the apple. Now again, these are just things that Ive found made it better, Im posting it separate so you dont have to do these addons to make the soup.... just to make it more special heh.

Acorn Squash (recipe taken from the food network site as well)

- 1 Acorn Squash, cut in half
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Pinch of Cinnamon
- 2 tbsp Butter, softened
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup*
- Salt, Freshly ground Pepper

* Since its going to be going in the soup thats already kind of sweet, I usually dont add the maple syrup

Scoop the seeds and stringy pulp out of the squash cavities and discard. In a small mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, syrup and salt and pepper, to taste. Rub the squash cavities and cut sides of the squash with the butter mixture and place them on a baking sheet, cut side up. Bake in the preheated oven for about 1 hour until the squash is tender when pierced with a fork.

To add it to the soup, just set it aside after youve gotten it out of the oven and wait for it to cool, then peel the skin off (Which should be relatively easy) and add to your simmering chunks of squash. Peel and slice the green apple and add those in as well. After its simmered for about 15 min and the chunks of stuff has gotten a bit more tender, remove with a slotted spoon and add to the blender. (If youre having trouble getting stuff to puree, just add a bit of the simmering stock to the blender.) And there we go~ I hope you all get a chance to enjoy this fantastic dish!

Thanks, Duo-chan! It sounds great. ^__^

I noted in the first post the changes that could be made to it. ^__^
Wow I'm surprised you quoted that. I'd consider snipping the quote or something, I felt like I was stretching the first page at it was with my commentary on the recipe

Also its not pumpkin, its butternut squash. And I'm excited because theyre almost in season again~ time for soup heh.

Have you ever tried substituting Spaghetti squash for the noodles? I havent but I've heard some people say its good.
Duo-chan_in_wonderland
Wow I'm surprised you quoted that. I'd consider snipping the quote or something, I felt like I was stretching the first page at it was with my commentary on the recipe

Also its not pumpkin, its butternut squash. And I'm excited because theyre almost in season again~ time for soup heh.

Have you ever tried substituting Spaghetti squash for the noodles? I havent but I've heard some people say its good.

Oh, sorry... here they're just considered another type of pumpkin.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff