Factions FAQ

What are the Factions in Heralds of Chaos?

Kingdom of Avalon

Traditional plate-armored fighters or robe-wearing wizards ruled this European-flavored land.

Cosmology: This faction sees the shattering of worlds as the consequence of a fumble with a mighty spell that was supposed to accomplish something else entirely. Now they need to make things right by keeping these other worlds from destroying the cosmos.

Characteristics and Special Abilities

- Healing
- Armor # (this unit takes # less damage when hit with an attack)
- Buffs (+damage, +accuracy, + speed), some last for one round, some last until the end of the battle and some last until the unit is killed.
- Veteran # (When this unit wins a battle, it gains +# accuracy, damage, speed, and max health then it heals for #. These bonuses last for the rest of this game.)
- Defender # (when fighting in your captured region this unit gains +# attack and accuracy)
- Protection abilities - one unit can take damage for or in some way protect an allied unit.

Flameborn

Awesome winged Dragons and Dragonoids lived in this reality where dragons and their kin and creations conquered all competitors.

Cosmology: The Flameborn say that the current collision of worlds is the consequence of the hatching of the Great Egg. The many swirling worlds are shards of the Egg, and the universe is being reborn into the Universal Dragon. By bringing the worlds under their sway, the dragons can speed up the inevitable.

- Flight 2 (this unit moves 2 spaces per movement)
- Solitary # (When this unit is in battle without any allies, it gets +# accuracy, speed, and damage. When this unit enters a battle alone, it heals # health.)
- Defender # (when fighting in your captured region this unit gains +# attack and accuracy)
- AoE damage - critical to their ability to fight many smaller enemies at once, the big dragons have abilities that deal damage to many or all enemies simultaneously.
- Fear # (in battle, enemy units that don't have fear themselves with less health than this unit get a -# penalty to their accuracy and damage)

Hellspawn

Multiple demon lords ruled this world of conflict, hierarchy, ruin, and conquest.

Cosmology: The demons say that the shattering of worlds is a consequence of their own magic. They've longed to break through to other realities in order to conquer them all.

- Damage Aura # (when an enemy deals damage to this unit with a basic attack, that enemy takes # damage)
- Fear # (in battle, enemy units that don't have fear themselves with less health than this unit get a -# penalty to their accuracy and damage)
- Defender # (when in battle in a region which you have captured this unit gains +# attack and accuracy)
- Drain Health from opponents (deal damage to and enemy and heal itself for an equal or lower amount)
- Debuffs (-attack, -accuracy, stun and other sorts of debuffs)
• Strategy: Combine a debuff unit with a glass cannon. The debuff makes the opponent easier to kill or reduces their ability to kill the glass cannon unit. (Glass cannons are high-damage, low health units).

I don't like the Faction I chose - can I change it?

No -- but you can go ahead and buy a Herald of a different faction. Edit your army or create a new one with him as the leader/primary Herald and you are now playing the new faction.

How do I edit my deck?
Read the Gameplay FAQ to learn more about the rules of deck construction.