Welcome to Gaia! ::

Okay, I realize perhaps this is the WORST idea I've come up with. Putting my Skyrim fanfic up before my Oblivion fanfic... or perhaps putting a fanfic up in the first place...

Either way I'm looking for comments, criticism and posts... BUT NOT IN THIS FORUM! To comment, please post here: Comment Thread. Please keep in mind that if you do post in this area, I'll spam PM you until you take it down... or get an Admin to do it, whichever.

I realize the beginning chapter is the same dialogue for the game! It's ONLY in the first chapter! I figured since that's the only part of the game that never differs, it should only be fitting it doesn't change in the first chapter. I also realize there will be things I need to explain in this fanfic that I wouldn't need to if I had made my Oblivion fic first, but I have less of that than I do of this... so I'll get to it. stare

Also, very important and I feel I should do this because of small children on this site. This is a rather mature fanfiction due to cussing and graphic violence/disturbing situations. THERE IS NO SEX! Mainly because of the ToS, but also because my character frowns upon it... in this story anyway. So I suppose the rating I’d give this is PG-13... though, I’m not exactly sure how the rating scale goes. razz

Without further ado.... Enter Skyrim...
Chapter One: The Voice of Skyrim

I woke up in a cart to the feeling of being watched. I really wish these things would stop happening to me when I get drunk... It usually ends up with me in prison, escaping the guards and the strangeness of the situation was never funny. Not only that; it almost always led to hard work and a headache.

And I was drooling...

I shook my head, moaning at the throb of my head and reached up to wipe my mouth. It was then I realized I was bound; the next were the men who sat with me. Yup, I think, doing my best to clean my face, seems the night was extra kind to me. I ignored the stares of the men I rode with and tried to find my bearing from the land around me. I didn't recognize it at all, but the chill in the air had told me I had gone North. There was a cart in front of us being led by a guard on horseback, and another guard behind us. Dealings with the Imperial Legion AGAIN? I sighed, and made a face as my stomach rebelled. Without warning the bile filled my mouth, and I coughed it out at the foot of the men, emptying my stomach until I leaned over my lap panting for air and wanting relief, knowing none would come. I watched as the vile liquid seeped through the cracks in the wood, my vision swimming every few seconds, until I felt I could sit up.

"I'm never drinking again," I muttered, my voice hoarse and thick with grog. I felt foolish, waking this way among Nords. They were probably laughing at me, calling me... what was it? A milk-drinker? Well, I do enjoy milk, and I am not ashamed of that. Drinking milk had never gotten me arrested, or thrown in prison... or wherever I was headed to now. Besides, every time I drank, I swore I would never drink again, yet I always ended up blacking out and running into trouble.

Situating myself and trying to look more presentable, I examined my whereabouts slowly. My hair was braided still, though some fell from their binding and framed my face. If there was one thing that could make me smile, it was my hair. The color of spun ruby, or some have said wet blood, and the softest caress on my cheeks, it was my favorite feature... or perhaps my emerald eyes. I blew it away and crossed my legs, and flicked my head so that the braid flipped over my shoulder. The trees were comforting, and the air smelled good, though I did not recognize the strange scent that cleared my head. It must be the Evergreens, I reasoned, as I carefully untied the thong that bound my hair. I ran my fingers through my hair the best I could until it fell about my shoulders and down my back. I wanted to scratch my aching scalp, but with my hands tied were tied so tight I couldn't even turn my wrists.

"Finally stirring, are you?" the man across from me asked. "You must have been trying to cross the boarder, weren't you?"

I shook my head, stilling under the gruffness of his voice and the throb my action evoked. I knew he must be a Nord, hearing him speak, and instantly was on my guard. The drink had made my mind idle, but luckily, I usually rebound quickly. It wasn't because of his race; it was a rule of mine: never trust anyone. Usually because every time I let my guard down, I ended up in situations like this.

"You've been out for a while. That Imperial guard cracked you on the head pretty hard. Not sure where you came from... but you walked into the same trap we did, along with that thief. They had us tied up when they noticed you. Wrong place, wrong time, I suppose. The guards weren't treating you so nice, and tried to grab you. You fought back, so they clubbed you. I think the thief made his entrance then and distracted them... so I suppose we can thank him for something."

The dark man grunted, looking at me, then looking away quickly. "Damn you Stormcloaks... Skyrim was fine until you came along! Empire was nice and lazy..."

My mind buzzed. Skyrim? SKYRIM?! There was no way I had run to Skyrim! What had I done in the last couple of days? I knew I had been to the shambling ruins of Bruma recently, so the cold hadn't surprised me... but to have run to the boarder was... well, among many things, pointless and stupid. I knew nothing of the land, save it was a frozen tundra full of Nords. Pity, if I had known I'd end up here, I might have dug through my library first.

"If they hadn't been looking for you, I would be halfway to Hammerfell right now," the thief continued, looking back to me. "I am, however, grateful I could help. You and me, we're not supposed to be here... It's these Stormcloaks the Empire is after."

"We're all brothers and sisters in binds now, thief," the first man growled.

My breathing had stopped for whatever reason, and when I forced myself to inhale, it sounded strangled, rushed and short. The two men looked to me, and I looked away, ashamed. I berated myself in my mind, trying to breathe normally, listening to my heart beat wildly in my breast. I was startled when the Imperial guard driving the cart spoke up.

"Shut up back there!"

I had assumed since he hadn't silenced us earlier we were allowed to speak. I was grateful; I didn't want to say anything right now. It was the worst thing I had gotten myself into in a while. I knew I was in trouble. I had obviously stumbled into something very serious.

"What's wrong with him?" the thief asked, looking to the gagged man next to me, ignoring the orders.

"Watch your mouth!" the one across from me piped up. "You're speaking to Ulfric Stormcloak, the true High King!"

"Ulfric?" the thief asked, surprised. "The Jarl of Windhelm? You're the leader of the rebellion! But, if they've captured you... Oh gods, where are they taking us?"

My stomach dropped, hearing those words. I didn't know what Jarl meant, but I knew what happened when the Imperials caught a rebel traitor, King or not. In my mind, my resentment towards myself turned to amusement. Sick, twisted amusement. Well well, what have you gotten yourself into this time? I asked myself, staring at my bound hands lying useless in my lap. So, let's see if I understand correctly: You got drunk three days ago, go running through the mountains and somehow cross the boarder into Skyrim, stumbled into a rebellion and get captured... didn't you say once that Skyrim was for drunks and the lazy? Perhaps this is the end of your carefree lifestyle. And you thought Cyrodiil was bad... I looked down the hill and saw a town coming into view. I had never had the urge to go to Skyrim... and here I was, stuck with rebellion captives. I was going to my doom!

I don't know where they're taking us," the first Nord man replied, sorrowfully. "But Sovngarde awaits."

I smiled softly and nodded. Well, they had their comfort then. I would not go to Sovngarde; it was not my people's custom. At least I could see a forest before I died, I thought. That simplicity was enough for me.

"This can't be happening!" the thief exclaimed.

"Where are you from, horse thief?" I heard the man across from me ask, looking over.

"Why do you care?" the man shot back angrily.

"A Nord's last thoughts should be of home..." the man answered.

I understood. They wanted to bond, in the last moments they had. They wanted to feel a connection beyond what they believed and fought for. They wanted comfort. I did not. I never traveled with anyone for very long, and nor did I care to. My whole life I had wandered alone, why stop now?

"Rorikstead..." the man said weakly. "I'm from Rorikstead."

It was a name of a town I'd never seen or heard of, and while I couldn't tell if he held the town fondly in his mind, I knew he must have left for a reason. As we rolled near the over-passing bridge, I heard the guard standing above call out.

"General Tullius, sir! The headsman is waiting!"

"Good. Let's get this over with!" came the reply from the man addressed. So that's who was leading us...

The man who had stolen the horse began to pray to the Divines, gods I had only just come to accept and one unknown named Shor. I doubted they would help, but I've been blessed by the gods several times before. Who knew, they just might pull one for the injustice of the situation. The headsman... I sighed sadly and looked up at the pure blue sky. It was such a beautiful day... A good day to get one's head removed, I supposed.

It was in his bout of rage that the man across from me began to speak out against his captor. "Look at him, General Tullius the Military Governor. And it looks like the Thalmor are with him."

A stab went through my chest, and I was grateful my hair covered the point of my ears. I almost missed the rest of what he said, and wished I had.

"Damn elves. I bet they had something to do with this."

I nodded, keeping silent. If he knew I was a Bosmer, he might accuse me of setting them up. Obviously untrue, yet it was my business to keep a low profile. Like that's ever worked... As he spoke of a girl from the village we were in, Helgen, I tested my bonds. Tight as could be, and I was unable to struggle free, which left me in a sour mood. I'd never been hopelessly trapped before. Trapped, yes... but always with options available! Even when I was trapped in that cell a while back, I had options... So perhaps it ended in the death of the Emporor... but I got free.

It was then a small voice broke through my silent rage.

"Where are they going?"

I looked and found it was the voice of a small child, sitting on the porch of their house with his father as they watched us roll on. The father saw me staring and shook his head. "Go inside, little cub," he growled, prodding him towards the door.

"Why?" the child whined. "I want to watch the soldiers!"

"Inside the house! Now!"

I hung my head and stared at the floorboards of the cart. A few moments later we were slowing.

"Why are we stopping?" the thief asked in a slight panic.

"Why do you think?" the man across from me asked, looking to Ulfric worriedly. "End of the line."

While the guards unloaded the prisoners from the other cart, I searched for exits. They had brought us to an intelligent spot. Guards everywhere and only one way out. Fighting wasn't an option. They had us.

"Let's go," the one across from me said, looking at me. "We shouldn't keep the gods waiting."

The thief panicked as we stood and shouted. "No! We're not rebels!"

"Face your death with some courage, thief!" the man behind me snarled.

"You have to tell them!" he insisted, looking back over my five measures tall frame. "We weren't with you! This is a mistake!"

I looked up at him and hissed for him to be silent. If I was really going to go out, I didn't want my last sounds to be of him whining. I jumped down after him, wobbling delicately, and stood behind the King, leaning forward ever so slightly as the Imperial Captain called out to us. The fur smelled sweet and earthy, like the forest and the snow. "Don't worry, sire," I breathed. "We'll get through this... somehow."

"Step towards the block when we call your name. One at a time!"

"The Empire loves their damn lists," the man behind me grumbled, jumping to the ground.

I rolled my eyes and spoke quietly. "Some of us are luckier than others. We'll make it out. Just don't do anything stupid."

Ulfric was called first, and he strode forward without fear or hesitation.

"It has been an honor serving you, Jarl Ulfric!" the man beside me called.

"Ralof of Riverwood," the man called out.

The man beside me, the one who had served under Ulfric, followed his leader. So, his name was Ralof...

"Lokir of Rorikstead," the man barked.

"I'm not a rebel!" the thief insisted. "You can't do this!" And without another word he fled!

"I said not to do anything stupid!" I muttered, watching him run. Hands tied like that, he wasn't bound to get far. Sure enough, the Imperial guard let fly an arrow. I watched the man crumple with a scream and looked to the Captain compliantly. I felt nothing, and honestly that frightened me a little. It had been a long time since a death failed to stir me. I had faked many emotions for all sorts of creatures for many years, sometimes finding true emotions took time. Some took no time at all. While I felt other emotions... the thought of death brought nothing but emptiness, and scared me very little.

"Anyone else feel like running?" she asked, looking to me.

I shook my head and shifted my weight, grinning at her. I wouldn't run. I would rather have my head cut off than die looking like a pincushion, I thought. The man next to her noticed me and frowned.

"Wait. You there. Step forward."

I did as he asked, putting a useless, unsteady wobble in my walk. My head did hurt, but there was no way to rub it, so I winced and looked up at the man, trying to look pathetic. Harmless.

"Who are you?" he asked, confused, looking over his chart again.

"I'm Yoshomika, a Bosmer from Valenwood," I said softly. Mostly, it was true... I hadn't seen my homeland in quite some time. I had lived in Cyrodiil for the past few centuries. "I was attacked by your men in the woods and wrongfully captured," I added. For good measure, I supposed.

The man muttered something, then looked to his superior officer. "Captain, what should we do? She's not on the list..."

I knew the answer wasn't going to be good... I could tell my words had angered her, and I braced myself for my sentence.

"Forget the list," she snarled. "She goes to the block with the rest of them."

The man gave me a sympathetic look, but nodded. "By your orders, Captian." To me, he said, "I'm sorry, but orders are orders. We'll see that your remains are returned to Valenwood. Follow the Captain, and don't try anything."

"Don't apologize, good sir. You can't help what you allow." With a parting, albeit sarcastic, smile, I followed the woman over to the group. Secretly, I hoped they'd burn my body and dump the ashes somewhere secret. Not that it was my preference, I just couldn't stand the idea of my parents receiving my body. They were still expecting me home, or so I like to believe. What was two hundred years to elves? With that mental image in mind, I joined the group and stood with my chin high.

They all looked like Stormcloaks and gathered together like brethren. I felt honored to be among such fine men. Even if I didn't deserve my punishment, at least I was with fearless men who fought for freedom. My father would have been proud to see me here, I thought to myself with a sad smile.

"Ulfric Stormcloak," the General said, loud enough for all to hear. "Some here in Helgan call you a hero. But a hero doesn't use a power like the Voice to murder his King and usurp his throne!"

The gagged man made a muffled grunt, but whatever he was trying to get out was lost in the cloth. He stood tall, and from where I stood, I saw his sharp eyes twinkle. They were making an example of him, and it didn't even faze him. I frowned. Either this man knew something I did not, or he had lost his mind. I hoped it was the former, mad kings had gone out a style nearly an age ago.

"You started this war," General Tullius continued, in an accusing manner. "Plunged Skyrim into chaos, and now the Empire is going to put you down, and restore the peace!"

I growled, but mid-snarl a noise like one I've never heard before came from a distance away. It sounded like the cry of a wounded animal... or one that was as enraged as I was. As everyone looked to the Heavens in confusion, I stood quietly, as still as a statue... the only change the slow smile that spread across my lips. That sound was an omen. Whatever it meant, I hoped it bode well for me. Perhaps I could keep my oath to the King...

"What was that?" the man who had read off the list for our cart asked, hesitant and obviously shaken.

"It's nothing," General Tullius snapped. "Carry on."

I knew he was scared. They all stunk of fear. Reeked, in fact. And his expression as he turned away confirmed it.

"Yes General Tullius!" the Captain exclaimed. "Give them their last rites!"

The priestess who had been summoned there nodded and raised her hands. "As we commend your souls to Aetherius, blessings of the Eight Divines upon you-"

As the woman spoke, a man broke rank and strode forward, interrupting her and drowning out the rest of the rites.

"For the love of Talos, shut up and let's get this over with!" he exclaimed, walking up to the block.

"As you wish..." the priestess said softly, looking to the rest of us. She sounded angry at the interruption, but said nothing else as she sauntered off.

At first I was enraged... if this was to be our last moments, perhaps some of us needed these rites! I didn't believe in them, but some of the men might! However, it dawned on me he might be protecting his king. It made sense the instant it came into my mind. To make an example, the Imperials would kill the head first and make his followers watch. This way, perhaps they could stave off his execution! It was genius!

"Come on, I haven't got all morning!" the Stormcloak soldier exclaimed, forcing a chuckle from my throat. The man was brave... and honorable perhaps, from the sound of him. He allowed the Captain to force him to his knees and slam his head down harder than needed onto the block. He even laughed and ridiculed them! "My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?"

I let out a whoop without meaning to, relishing the look the Captain shot me. His words had stirred something in me, and I wanted him to know he had the support of someone in his final moments as the headsman hoisted his halberd high. It was brought down with a sickening thud, and the man's head slid wetly into the basket as his body fell lifeless beside the block. I'd seen a lot of blood on my adventures, and I had drawn most of it... Yet, I'd never seen anything lose its head. The spurt of the blood fountain out of what remained of him and stained my memory. I felt ill, and thanked the gods I had already emptied my gut.

"You Imperial bastards!" I heard a woman cry, which I echoed only with a shout. They may not have been my kin, but I felt for them. And my anger was flared once more when I heard a man shout his joy at the justice served.

"Death to the Stormcloaks!" someone else shouted.

"As fearless in death as he was in life," Ralof said quietly, confirming my assumptions about the man.

"Next, the Bosmer in the rags!" the Captain shouted, pointing at me.

I suppose I deserved it, and perhaps she chose me next for my attitude... but I was glad. For Ulfric's sake. While I didn't know the man, anyone brave enough to stand up against the Legion had my support. Before I could move, the strange, eerie noise we had heard before echoed across the valley once more. It was an omen for sure.

"There it is again!" the man next to the headsman exclaimed. "Did you hear that?"

"I said next prisoner!" the Captain demanded, ignoring him.

He sighed and looked to me. "To the block, prisoner. Nice and easy."

I scowled at them, but tossed my head and strode forward. I didn't mean for it to happen, but for a split-second I became self-conscious and I wondered if the men were staring at my a**. I knew they weren't, but it brought a smile to my face, which I quickly made sardonic as I looked at the Captain. I nodded to the headsman as I turned my back on the woman. It was something I don't normally do... but if I was about to have my head chopped off, worrying about being stabbed in the back no longer mattered.

I was shoved down, almost on top of the decapitated body of the last man, and I stared up at the headsman who gave me a second before he raised his weapon. However, by time he had it up, my gaze had drifted behind him. A creature glided through the air around the mountain into view. A creature I had only seen once.

"What in Oblivion is that?!" I heard a man call out as I watched the monster shoot up and over the tower.

"Sentries! What do you see?"

How could she not see it? I wondered as it flew over us. I looked up to the headsman, suddenly afraid. Finally a distraction, and he was ready to land the final blow! He hesitated, looking up with the others for only a second, then returned to his task at hand. However, when the creature landed, it sent out a roar shockwave that knocked the man off his feet!

I ignored the shouts of the guards and stared at the beast. It seemingly grabbed the tower and leaned over. I could feel it's eyes on me, as if staring at my very soul. The smoke from it's maw framed it's snout and lingered in the brisk air. The clouds swirled and as I stared in awe, fire began to rain from the sky!

"It's a dragon!" someone shouted, as if reading my mind.

I saw the headsman struggle to his feet before a blast of sound from the dragon's mouth knocked him back again. It opened its mouth once more and someone tripped over me in their attempt to get away. I smashed my head against the block I had been hovering over to avoid getting blood on my face. A flash of light, and then darkness.
Chapter Two: Friend or Foe?

I woke suddenly, and clumsily rushed to my feet. Due to my bonds, my first attempt introduced my face to the dirt. Flames were falling from the sky and I rushed into my second attempt. This time I faired better, and I heard someone call out to me as I righted myself. I saw the burning buildings, heard the screams... Along with my head splitting, everything seemed... quieter, distant almost.

"HURRY!"

It might have just been my own mind, or someone calling out, but all I could do is stand and stare up at the monster that rose up atop the tower. I hadn't been out long then. It glared down at me, its eyes following me with every slight move, like if I moved too suddenly... it'd devour me whole. As I didn't particularly feel like dinner, I froze and stared in awe, mesmerized. And then it screamed, and launched into the air above me.

“Get to the Keep!” I heard loudly from behind me. It snapped me back to reality and I turned and ran awkwardly to the building closest to me. The door closed behind me and I collapsed against the wall to catch my breath and still my fluttering heart. Ulfric's gag had been cut off (I figured as much, it was gone anyway) and Ralof stood near, gazing at the injured Stormcloaks they had managed to help to the tower nearby.

"Jarl Ulfric!" Ralof exclaimed, seemingly shocked to see his leader as well, yet I could hear the relief in his voice, and see it shining from his eyes as he gripped Ulfric's arm in brief welcome. "What is that thing? Could the legends be true?"

I looked to the unbound men and envied their freedom from the bindings, yet I kept silent to learn what I could. How I wished I hadn't gotten drunk in that damn tavern... or that I remembered what had happened next. Yet... I finally felt good. The best I had in a couple hundred years. Although, back then I was fighting alongside a dragon, not against one.

"Legends don't burn down villages," Ulfric replied, quietly. The roar from the beast outside seemed to attest his answer, and also frighten us all. Just a little. "We need to move..." he muttered, looking towards the door. Sensing our hesitance, he insisted. "Now!"

Ralof nodded, and looked to me. "Up through the tower. Let's go!"

I looked to the injured, but I was assured they'd be fine and shooed off. I took off up the steps, more used to moving while bound than I'd like and heard a voice from up the stairs. Someone had already made it up, and I saw him trying to move the huge rocks when I rounded the corner. A second later, I was blown back as the wall was slammed in, but I saw that the Stormcloak soldier had been buried under the rubble and knew he hadn't made it. Before I could blink, a jet of flame came from the mouth of the dragon that had poked his head through into the Keep.

Yor Tool Shol!

I turned my body, pressing myself against the stones and squeezing my eyes shut. I could feel the heat on my back, I could hear the screams of those below who hadn't been able to avoid the fire, and worse, I could smell the stench of roasting flesh and hair. Unable to keep my footing, I sank to my knees and trembled next to the wall. Behind me, the dragon tried to force itself in, but finding that the hole was too small, it must have launched off, because all I could hear was the flapping of its wings and the feral scream of frustrated anger. It was in that moment when i wondered if I had heard words, or if this day was taking its toll on me.

I wished desperately I could cover my nose, but seeing that was impossible, I did the only thing I could do. I stood and tried not to breathe, as I attempted to look brave. Trust me, looking brave after rising out of a cowering position and not breathing is very hard to do. I was glad though, for a moment later I was joined by Ralof.

He took in the scene and shook his head at the destruction. "See the inn on the other side?" he asked, pointing to the burning ruin. "Just jump through to the otherside and keep going. I'll meet up with you when I can." I must have made a face, because he laughed and slapped my back. "Don't worry, we'll get out of here just fine. All of us."

I nodded and after a quick breath, I jumped. After landing nimbly, I noticed a weight lifted and as I looked around, I quickly figured out what it was. My beautiful hair had been burned, and was now a lot shorter. I lamented for just a moment, before returning to the task at hand, escaping the burning ruins of this god-forsaken village. Running outside brought me face to face with the soldier that had taken orders and left me to die. If I had been unbound, I might have killed him. As it was, he was busy saving a small child from the returning dragon.

"Still alive prisoner?" he asked, beckoning another soldier over. "Keep close to me if you want to stay that way."

I grit my teeth and stared back defiantly. "If I want to end my life, who are you to complain, you Imperial pig? I was to be beheaded before this beast saved my neck. If it is to take my life, it belongs to no one else."

He sniffed and looked to his soldier-brother. "Gunner, take care of the boy. I have to find General Tullius and join the defence!"

"Gods guide you, Hadvar," the other replied looking at me with a sneer.

Hadvar... I smiled and followed as the man ran off, looking to the sky. Always better when my prey has a name. After his comments, the man was marked for death. We maundered around the burning wreckage and in between a building and the wall. He must have seen the shadow as well, because he shouted to me.

"Stay close to the wall!"

I frowned, already pressed against the stone, but my retort was lost in the roar of the dragon, which landed right above us. We waited until the flames subsided, and for the beast to fly off again, before we continued on our way. We were coming up on the Keep when I saw Ralof jump down from the wall. I smiled and jerked my arm to wave, forgetting still I was bound. That made me frown angrily at my arms, before turning my attention to the two men who had started to quarrel.

"Ralof! You damn traitor!" Hadvar howled. "Out of my way!"

"We're escaping Hadvar," Ralof growled. "You're not stopping us this time!"

I inched toward Ralof, hearing these words. I wasn't even surprised when Hadvar relented. Seeing my freedom before me, I rushed to Ralof’s side, glaring back at the Imperial soldier.

"Fine," the soldier stated, shooting me a sour look. "I hope that dragon takes you all to Sovengarde! Remember when you’re there; I tried to save you."

Ralof nodded, glanced at me, then took off. "You! Come on, into the keep!" he shouted over his shoulder.

I didn't have to be told twice. I followed without another word, ducking into the Keep after Ralof. Upon entering, it took a few seconds for my eyes to adjust to the dimness of the room. I looked up to see Ralof dash across the floor to what looked like a corpse. The smell emanating from it confirmed my suspicions. I wrinkled my nose, but walked over slowly.

"We'll meet again in Sovengarde, brother," Ralof muttered, before standing and looking to me. "Looks like we're the only ones who made it," he observed.

I nodded, but stayed silent.

"That thing was a dragon. No doubt," he went on to say. "Just like the childrens' stories and the legends. The harbringers of the End Times."

I looked up as I heard the roar above us. It was either the dragon or the wind. I was betting the former. I was jerked back when Ralof spoke again.

"We better get moving... Come here. Let me see if I can't get those bindings off."

I let out a soft cry, and moved closer to him. I watched as he withdrew a dagger and cut the thongs that held me captive off. I wanted to hug him, being free again, but he looked like the type that wouldn't appreciate the gesture. "Thanks," I murmured.

"There you go," he answered, looking me over. "You might as well take Gunjar's gear. He won't be needing it any more."

I nodded and knelt by the man. As I stripped him of his gear, I spoke quietly, yet the way the room had been crafted, my words were easily heard. "As you pass from this life, your sacrifice is held in the hearts of those who were dear to you. Forgive me, but I need your possessions. May Sovengarde welcome you."

"You don't seem like a Nord..." Ralof observed.

I looked up and stripped off my prisoner clothing with no shame. "I'm not. I'm from Valenwood." Without another word, I donned on the cuirass and boots. Arming myself with the axe, I looked back at the man who stood watching. "Just because your beliefs are not mine, doesn't mean that they're not real. Sovengarde may very well exist, even if my people aren't allowed entry."

Ralof grinned, and looked about. "I'm going to see if I can't find some way out of here." He tested one gate, then shook his head. "This one's locked. Let's see about that one." After crossing the room and examining the opposite gate, he stood back, frustrated. "Damn," he exclaimed. "There's no way to open it from this side."

My shoulders drooped, but I refused to speak, lest it anger him. Down the hall my eyes noticed movement and instantly I was on guard. Ralof, it seems had noticed them too.

"It's the Imperials! Take cover!" he shouted.

I grinned and cracked my neck. "Not a chance. This is the part I live for. Let them come. That b***h Captain has had it coming for a while." I heard the woman shout for the gate to be opened and I stood waiting, grinning at her with the axe ready. When the gate slid up, I looked to Ralof. "You take the other, the Captain is mine."

In an instant, they were on us and I danced backwards out of range of the Captain's blade. I laughed and dropped down, surprising the woman, then swung upwards to catch her helmet with my axe and I used my feet to trip her. When I saw her start to fall, I swung again, catching her in the face with the sharp edge of my axe. I relished the splash of warm blood as I watched Ralof dispatch the young soldier begging for mercy.

Relishing my kill, I bent to search the Captain.

"Maybe one of these Imperials have the key," Ralof said, catching his breath.

"Yeah, I found it on her. Hold on, I want this sword." I unstrapped her weapon and took it, along with the key. After a second, I bent and took her dagger too. Never know when I might need it, and for what. I wasn't fond of heavy armor, so I left it. I wasn't even going to examine the other. I equipped the sword and looked at the hall they had come down. "Wonder what's the other way... where did they came from?"

"I'm not sure," Ralof replied. "We should go, now."

I shook my head and handed him the key. "I'm going to look. Wait a minute. If I'm not back, go on without me. I'll catch up."

He frowned, but nodded. "One minute, no longer."

I saluted and dashed off down the Hall. I found a small room full of beds, a few chests with nothing of interest, but on the table I found some gold, which I took. I made it back before Ralof set out and went to the door with him. I was shocked when he handed me the key, but I took it anyway and unlocked the door.

"That's it!" Ralof exclaimed. "Come on, let's get out of here before the dragon brings the whole tower down on our heads!"

It seemed like a good idea, so I followed. He seemed to know his way around here, which made me wonder about his past brush with the law, but kept my quandaries to myself. Instead, I drew my sword and marvelled at its light weight and I swung it a couple times to orient myself. It had been years since I touched a weapon... After my brush with death in Cyrodiil, I had sworn off adventuring. Guess I had no choice, with things the way they were now. I wasn't just going to let the dragon eat me after all.

As we rounded the corner, Ralof grabbed me and pulled me back to avoid the ceiling that caved in. From the sounds coming from above it was evident that the dragon out there was willing to tear this building down stone by stone to get us all. I assured Ralof I was fine, then jerked away from him. I didn't want to be ungrateful, but I needed him to know the boundaries between us.
"Damn," Ralof muttered, examining the rubble. "That dragon does not give up easy."

"Through this door then," I muttered, motioning him to follow. I heard voices coming from within, and was curious to see if they were more Imperial scum or Ralof's missing comrades. I wasn't one of them... not really. Dressed in their clothes, I could see how one would mistake me for one of them... Yet, I sympathized with their cause and Ralof had saved me...

My thoughts came to a halt when we found two soldiers trying to break open a barrel. I was going to sneak up behind them, but Ralof rushed in, his axe held high.

"For Ulfric and Skyrim!" he shouted, pushing past me.

I growled, but followed, swinging my sword as well. I took one as he took the other, finding him to be weak and inexperienced, I quickly slew him and let his body drop to the floor. Ralof had finished with his as well and he nodded to me.

"You fight well," he praised. "This is the storeroom. See if you can find any potions. We'll need them."

I nodded and checked around. I found the potions in the barrel nearby, the one the young guard had tried to break open. I also found some salt, some herbs, some strange plants hanging... even a cleaned rabbit! I took the rabbit's meat, loving the softness of the fur. I made a mental note to make some gloves from the furry rodents if I ever came across them. If I made it out of here alive...

I laughed and skipped after Ralof. Of course I'll make it out! I reasoned with myself. I always have before... and I will again. If I can survive in Cyrodiil for two hundred years as a vampire... I can manage Skyrim no problem! After all, if drunks can do it, I can too. That thought mulled over in my head, and then it passed when I caught up.

"Are you finished?" he asked, turning towards the door. "Let's get moving then."

I rolled my eyes and followed. I understood, the guy was pressed for time and wanted to escape as soon as possible... but sometimes, stocking up was the most important factor in survival.

As we ran down the stairs, we heard more voices, and as we neared them, Ralof let out a soft gasp.

"Trolls blood!" he exclaimed softly, slowing a bit. "It's a torture room!"

I shrugged. I'd seen my fair share of secret torture rooms, and had tortured some people myself. These things should repulse me, but somehow, I pushed past it. The closer we got, we realized that some Stormcloaks were fighting with the Torturer and his assistant. We rushed in to help them and in a matter of minutes the two lay dead.

"Was Jarl Ulfric with you?" Ralof asked, when we had all conjoined.

"No," the female answered. "I haven't seen him since the dragon showed up."

Ralof nodded and looked around the room. "Wait a second," he muttered, walking over to the cages. "It looks like there's something in this cage."

I glanced up from the knapsack I was looking through. I slipped the book into the bag and slung it across my back with all the things I had gathered. Joining them, I heard Ralof growl.

"Ah, it's locked!" he complained. "See if you can't get it open with some picks. We might need that gold when we get out."

Reaching into the bag I just picked up for all my gear, I took out some lockpicks. "Leave that to me, it's a specialty," I told him with a wink. I crouched by the cage and examined the lock. Using my tools, I managed to spring the lock after three broken picks. I wasn't used to this new type of lock system, but it was a quick study. Much easier than the locks I used to pick.

"Good," Ralof said. "Grab anything useful and let's go!"

I searched the mage and liberated him of the gold, his robes and hood, potions... and as an afterthought, grabbed the book. What can I say? I like to read. When you get as old as an elf that spent a lifetime as a vampire... you learn time has no meaning. So books become your best friends. Plus, one never knows what one will learn reading. I did, however, miss Crassius Currio's plays...

I looked up and noticed I had been in silence. They had left me! I shrugged and when I finished, dashed after them. I caught up at the bottom of the steps and followed Ralof into a new room. I was surprised, and interested, to see bodies in cages, and as they all walked into the room, I examined them for anything useful. Just doing what you told me too, Ralof I thought to myself with a grin. I found a lot of bonemeal, some gold, but relatively useless stuff. So I joined the group.

"Take a second to rest," Ralof said to everyone. "Catch your breath, and we'll push on."

I took that second to open my bag and take out the book I found in the mage's cell. As it turned out, it was a tome for a spell. As soon as I opened it the knowledge of the Sparks spell was suddenly absorbed, and I knew how to use it. I was amazed, and it even made me feel a little giddy, but instead I walked on behind Ralof without a word.

We climbed down some sketchy steps into what looked like an underground tunnel. Ralof took off running and I followed him. He must have heard the soldiers before I did, because he took out his bow and bellowed after them.

"A pox on the Empire!" he cried.

I laughed and reached for my magicka and readied my newly found spell in my right hand, my left gripping my blade. Indeed, as I rounded the corner, I could see several guards already engaged in combat with the other Stormcloaks. Tearing into the fray, I stuck my sword into a soldier a couple times, before shocking him with my spell. The other two met their ends by other hands. I was just breathing in relief when a arrow whizzed by my head. Angered, I crossed the brige, muttering different ways of taking him apart. As I got close, I noticed some oily stuff on the floor. Having an idea, I shouted for Ralof to move, before throwing a flame spell at it.

As I thought, the oil went up in flames. Just like my house in Skingrad after they found out there was a vampire infestation... I wondered, watching the flames, how the Count had made out. The fire burned out quickly and I dashed through to slash at the one remaining soldier. "Not bad!" I cried, taking the man's bow and quiver, which, luckily had made it through the attack. And for good measure, I took another Imperial Sword. Ralof didn't seem to be stopping and I wondered when we'd find the end to this horrid place. Something about being a Bosmer makes one hate being underground... yet, I had heard of a race of elves that lived in caves... I couldn't remember what they called themselves though.

"Let's go on ahead," Ralof suggested to me. "See if the way is clear."

"Anything that will get me out into sunshine again," I muttered, following.

The female offered to stay behind in case Ulfric came through, but I was focused on regaining my stamina. It had been a long time since I had to fight so much, my back was beginning to get sore from muscles not used in eons.

"Let's see where this goes," Ralof said, taking off without me.

Groaning, I caught up in a few steps. It looked like a hallway, with a bridge drawn up at the end. I pushed the lever and the bridge dropped. To my joy, I saw sunlight hit the wood, but I saw more caverns ahead. I just can't catch a break, I muttered in my head, sighing. Down the stairs we found a waterfall spilling into a small trickle stream, and the yawning jaws of the caves ahead.

A huge crash of splintering wood startled me, but the roar from the beast, I expected.

Ralof dashed to look. "No going back that way, now," he said quietly. "We'd better push on. The rest of them will have to find another way out."

"If you say so," I agreed. I followed him down the stairs and into the water as we made our way down the tunnel until we came to a split. I heard Ralof mention one path didn't seem to go anywhere, but I was more interested in a pouch I found. Is it a trap? I wondered, staring hard at the thing. Deciding it couldn't hurt to take it, I nicked the bag and found a small stash of Septims. Pleased with myself, I looked to Ralof. "More gold," I explained when he gave me a strange look.

"Well, we better try this way then," he said with a nod, motioning towards the other tunnel.

"How about I take point?" I suggested. "My sharp hearing and agility will keep us from getting ambushed or something."

"Good thinking," he said, smiling. "It'll give me a chance to rest."

I was thrilled he agreed, and immediately took over the front. Not far from that spot though, I hesitated and halted, holding up my hand. "Stop," I whispered, peering into the dim darkness. "Yeah, just as I thought. Spiders..." There was no way around it... we had to fight off these vermin. "Okay, on my mark," I said, gripping my blade. I reached up, drawing the second I had picked up from its sheath, silently. "Go."

We dashed out and were met by two big spiders and smaller ones that dropped from the ceiling on threads of silk. They made me shiver, but I didn't back down... until I got their spit in my face. Screaming, I dropped my blades and tore at the stuff, cringing when it covered my hands. It was then I felt the sharp teeth entering my leg. I gasped at the freezing sensation, then dropped to retrieve my weapons, plunging the points home into what appeared to be the creature's face. Ralof helped me away from the spider and I found he had killed the rest.

"I hate those things," he said soothingly, kicking one of the corpses. "Too many eyes, you know?"

I laughed weakly. "Their teeth are cold fire too."

He looked down to where I was bitten, then knelt to look closer. "It doesn't look bad," he said, looking at the bite. “Heal yourself and the poison will no longer effect you after a while. It wasn't a deep bite, you're lucky for that."

I shook my head and took out the Captain's dagger. "I have a better idea..."

"It's just a small bite!" Ralof insisted. "No need to get hasty."

I gave him a strange look and made two small slashes on top of the marks, then began to squeeze the poison out. As I watched it trickle down my leg, I was shocked to see the idea worked.

"Whew," Ralof exclaimed, chuckling. "You scared me for a second there. Do you think you'll get it all out?"

I shook my head. "No, but enough so that it won't hurt me as much. I've never seen this kind of spider before... so I'm not sure how it'll effect me..." The idea came to me that perhaps I should take some of the venom before I left, so I drank a healing potion, and filled the bottle with the poison from each spider. It was then I noticed the broke open sacs. Upon examination, I found a small spider egg, no bigger than the palm of my hand. Marvelling, I stuck it in my bag and went rooting for more.

"Don't you think that's dangerous?" Ralof asked, watching me. "They could hatch!"

I shook my head, joining him again. "No. Spiders hatch all at once and break out of the sac. There can be thousands upon millions birthed at once... for small spiders anyway. If these eggs didn't hatch, they won't. I could use them for some alchemical purposes though..."

He gave me that strange look again, then asked the question I'd been dreading. "Who are you?"

After a moment of silence, I shook my head. "Just a Bosmer who has seen too much," I replied. "Let's get going."

As we inched our way through the darkened path, I thought about my companion. He would have never believed my story, if I had time to tell it, and he would perhaps label me a braggart. Not that it mattered, in a matter of years he'd be dead and I'd still be here... waiting for my end.

"Stop!" he hissed, crouching low.

I halted without thought and crouched beside him. "What?"

"That bear, don't you see her?" he asked, pointing just beyond the small narrow bridge. "I'd rather not tangle with her right now. Let's just sneak by. Just take it nice and slow, and watch where you step."

I almost laughed, but kept quiet. "Telling a wood elf how to sneak is like telling a Nord how to drink, don't you think?" I pointed out.

He cracked a smile, the first I'd seen since he had offered a sad grimice before we jumped off that wagon. "If you feel lucky, you can take my bow. You might be able to take her by surprise."

I shook my head. "I have my own bow. Nicked it from a dead soldier."

"Well, it's your choice. I'll follow your lead and watch your back."

I nodded. "You're a good man Ralof, and smart too." I admired the man, though I did not trust him. Taking out my bow, and crept forward, never rising, I nocked an arrow, drew back and held it while I steadied my breath. Letting out my last one softly, I let loose the cord and sent the arrow flying. A second later the arrow struck my aim, the bear's eye, and buried itself into the creature's skull.

"You elves really are exquisite archers," Ralof said in awe.

I shook my head. "I've had a lot of practice... and bears are especially hard to kill. If you don't do it right, you're in for a hard battle. Since their bones are abnormally hard, if you get them in the eye, it kills them instantly. Anywhere else and it just makes them irritable."

"You sure do know your animals, don't you?" Ralof asked, following me over to the dead bear.

I glanced at him, grinned and pulled out my dagger again. After retrieving my arrows, I began the long arduous task of removing the pelt from the bear. At least, perhaps it was long for me. My skillful fingers tugged at the pelt while the knife separated it from the muscles. I even took the claws, so that the bear's friends, if it had any, would beware. "I've spent my whole life in jungles and forests," I explained, rising and brushing the fur and blood from my hands. "If I didn't know animals, or hunting, I'd be a pretty sorry elf, don't you think?"

We left the corpse and headed around the corner, on guard, weapons in hand and ready to be attacked. I suppose we'd run into so much trouble today, we just expected it to be around every turn. When I saw light ahead, however, my heart leapt for joy.

"That looks like the way out!" Ralof exclaimed, sharing my excitement. "I knew we'd make it!"

I laughed and sheathed my blades. "I'll race you." With a grin, we made a dash for the opening.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff