Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quote:
Conservatism is a theory, a moral and political argument, of hierarchy and elitism, which believes that all that is good in the world – all that is fine and beautiful and superior and excellent – is the product of not only superior people but superior people presiding over a society of unequals. Inequality, in their minds, is the condition of greatness – individual greatness and the contributions that greatness makes to all of civilization.

I tend to see this quote as encapsulating all of Conservative thought since its inception under Burke.

Fanatical Zealot

I don't think that's what Conservatism is.
Conservatism to my understanding is wanting to "conserve" a person's current lifestyle and values. It can take many forms based on various factors. The conservatives of today have different values than the conservatives of yesteryear, and the conservatives of tomorrow will have different values than the conservatives of today. This "elitist" definition seems more like an attempt to pander to people who have already established prejudice towards a certain political ideal and is meant to rationalize that prejudice by declaring them enemies of the common people and garner support accordingly...

Fanatical Zealot

The heart of conservatism compared to liberalism tends to come form the core concept of what the words mean; "conservative" estimates are fairly reserved ones, where as liberal ones are more extreme. If the actual answer is 12, a conservative estimate might be 9-15, where as a liberal estimate might be 6-18. These wider variations obviously potentially effect a broader range of possibilities; less risking taking tends to be more conservative, and potentially less reward for that, as well.

If the liberal estimate is right, it could mean a lot of good things; if they're wrong, it could mean a lot of bad things. Being cautious as opposed to going to extremes, I suppose.

Granted today these are thrown around and used a certain way regardless of their original meaning so, I think it's irrelevant when it comes to political ideology.

We live in a Democratic Republic, and yet there are Democrat and Republican parties; is one more for a republic and the other for a Democracy, which are essentially the same things; not really, no.
l_Shamrock_l
Conservatism to my understanding is wanting to "conserve" a person's current lifestyle and values. It can take many forms based on various factors. The conservatives of today have different values than the conservatives of yesteryear, and the conservatives of tomorrow will have different values than the conservatives of today. This "elitist" definition seems more like an attempt to pander to people who have already established prejudice towards a certain political ideal and is meant to rationalize that prejudice by declaring them enemies of the common people and garner support accordingly...

I'd say there is no "conservation," in Conservatism. For example they criticize past systems of power as well. For example Edmund Burke found the Aristocracy decadent.... but he still favored one.
Jessi Danger
l_Shamrock_l

I'd say there is no "conservation," in Conservatism. For example they criticize past systems of power as well. For example Edmund Burke found the Aristocracy decadent.... but he still favored one.
I don't think you understood what I said at all, or rather chose to ignore it. I didn't say conservatism glorifies old systems, I said they "conserve" what they know and have experienced; their own traditions and way of life. Whatever system they partake in.
l_Shamrock_l
Jessi Danger
l_Shamrock_l

I don't think you understood what I said at all, or rather chose to ignore it. I didn't say conservatism glorifies old systems, I said they "conserve" what they know and have experienced; their own traditions and way of life. Whatever system they partake in.

I did, I simply just disagree. They don't seem to always act to conserve something. Simply they create new systems to ensure a hierarchy exists.

For example, when the Aristocracy fell, it became the Land Owners and Slave owners, when they failed it became the Business owning elite,

As an example, Social Security and safety nets are fairly old now. As is compulsory education ect.... yet they are all now antithetical to conservative values today. They oppose the State now..... were as in the past they did not. I'm saying there isn't much evidence they support conserving older customs. While the name would intuitively imply that, I doubt that is their reasoning. My proposition is that conservatives oppose social reforms and react against said movements because..... these movements threaten a power structure. If people rise above their station or demand equality from their alleged "Superiors," then they won't be obediently following orders and doing what is allegedly needed.

William F Buckley I believe had stated that giving the Middle Class for example so much power would lead to social chaos as Women and Ethnic Minorities might soon demand rights as well. Conservatives in America are all in essence the inheritors of Buckley's ideas. And his Ideas very much were reactionary, his ideas formed AFTER the great left leaning changes brought about by the New Deal.
Quote:
Conservatism as a political and social philosophy promotes retaining traditional social institutions.

It gains a lot of traction in ideological revolutionary periods, especially violent ones, where the previous status quo tries to oppose the new emerging status quo under the belief that it is incorrect. And example would be a surge in Conservative thought in response to the French Revolution.

No doubt I'll become a conservative before the end.
Jessi Danger

Then, would the opposite of conservatism be the opposite meaning of the quote used in your opening post?
Jessi Danger
As an example, Social Security and safety nets are fairly old now. As is compulsory education ect.... yet they are all now antithetical to conservative values today.

That could be due to an issue of time scale. Conservatives have opposed LBJ great society since it's inception, despite the fact that it's political institutions seems complacent with it.

Although admittedly the use of political definitions has changed significantly as norms and ideals change, so modern "conservatism" is more about a strain of right wing thought than what the name implies.
Jessi Danger
l_Shamrock_l
Jessi Danger
l_Shamrock_l

I did, I simply just disagree. They don't seem to always act to conserve something. Simply they create new systems to ensure a hierarchy exists.

For example, when the Aristocracy fell, it became the Land Owners and Slave owners, when they failed it became the Business owning elite,

As an example, Social Security and safety nets are fairly old now. As is compulsory education ect.... yet they are all now antithetical to conservative values today. They oppose the State now..... were as in the past they did not. I'm saying there isn't much evidence they support conserving older customs. While the name would intuitively imply that, I doubt that is their reasoning.
I can understand how it can seem like that, but it seems like a bit of over-analysis. The "hierarchy", as you call it, does exist, it would just be dumb to think otherwise, but it doesn't exist as a means of keeping people in check or some form of "Social Darwinism" or power struggle as you seem to make it out to be. Again, it would be dumb and naive to think it doesn't happen but that's the exception, not the rule: It's more of a "You keep what you earn and you earn what you work for" type of mentality.

Which brings me to "opposing the state": It's not the state they oppose, it's what the state's becoming that is counter to their beliefs. In California, for example, they're making it incredibly easy for illegal immigrants to live without having to face any penalties at all for their "illegal" status or even crimes they may commit. They can get a driver's license, they passed a law that prevents deportation for "non-violent crimes" (They can still come to our country and get away with committing crime though?) and recently attempted to give them free college grants (While actual citizens have to pay for it themselves? Wat?). We have corrupt politicians trying their hardest to ban every kind of gun and gun accessories despite not knowing anything at all about them and all the studies and numbers showing gun control is counterproductive, people trying to ban hunting, certain hunting techniques, tools, banning people from eating their own home-grown food without certain kinds of processing (based on product of course) and, in the midst of a drought, dumped tons of water instead of using it for agriculture... It's not that they are against the state, they are against what it's turning in to: A machine constantly eroding their rights and emphasizing reliance on the government. Hell, we have a huge stand off going on right now because someone didn't realize their cow was grazing a bit too far and didn't want to pay a $20,000 fine for something that resulted in absolutely no damage.

As for "conserving older customs" I think the fact they "Oppose the state now" is actually indicative of their "conservative" status considering how much the state's changed.
Was the Iranian revolution a liberal revolution?
l_Shamrock_l

As for "conserving older customs" I think the fact they "Oppose the state now" is actually indicative of their "conservative" status considering how much the state's changed.

Hardly. The state has been the way it is for a very long time. Hamilton IIRC emphasized the need of a strong state to enforce the laws and stability upon which big business and industry thrives and that has been the dominating Economic and political landscape of America despite the early popularity of Jefferson's minimalist agrarian utopia.
Project 429
Not really, but I'm not sure what you're getting at.
N3bu
Project 429
Not really, but I'm not sure what you're getting at.

I wasn't trying to be cryptic. If conservatism is maintaining the status quo and or maintaining traditional social institutions how exactly do you classify a religious revival?

Nevermind Iran, look at the resurgence of the Moral Majority.

Calling conservative thought maintaining the status quo (especially when you consider the status quo to be s**t) is stunningly self centered.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff