Welcome to Gaia! ::

Science is objective?

Of course, Science deals with cold hard facts. 0.48453608247423 48.5% [ 47 ]
No, science is subject to human interpreatation and subjectivity. 0.41237113402062 41.2% [ 40 ]
I don't know. 0.10309278350515 10.3% [ 10 ]
Total Votes:[ 97 ]
< 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 24 25 26 > >>

Aged Gaian

11,400 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Forum Regular 100
Riviera de la Mancha
Yes, interpretation is needed for analysis. What you don't get though is that the scientific method is just that; a method. Means of determining facts under the scientific method are not contingent on your opinion at all. The method merely assesses what is. To attempt to apply the scientific method to a discussion of what x means is an entirely separate stage and not to be confused with the scientific method, which is the essence and fundamental nature of science.
The scientific method (as a method) must be employed by humans, so the issue objectivity does not lie in the idea of the scientific method, but the execution. It is when I perform my tests, record my data, and analyze my results that subjectivity comes into play.

Quote:
So, while I already mentioned that facts themselves are meaningless, you muddle too much in assuming that its impossible to derive facts themselves because our giving them meaning will invariably to some extent include an element of the subjective.
How doesn't it? My interpretation of data is subjective, it's not as if given a set of data there is only one possible answer, there are virtually infinite numbers of possible explanations.

Quote:
And finally, not only is it entirely possible to account for variables, it also does not mean that a study was not objective because variables have a slight play in the results. And remember, by variables, I mean those other factual influences that effect scientific data (none of which are subjective, i.e. my will cannot change the constant force of gravity.).
1) How does one objectively decide what variable doesn't belong?
2)Who says the force of gravity is constant?
frozen_water
Project 429
frozen_water
GunsmithKitten
If you're injured and need medical attention, would you rather have a priest praying over you, or an EMT trying to stop the bleeding with the medical science he learned?

If the latter, why? After all, the EMT is relying on faith too, isn't he?
You missed the point. I'm not saying science is bad, I'm saying that it is subjective and should be recognized as such. Not that it can't prove useful, and in certain situations it's obviously more helpful than others, but that it shouldn't be placed on some pedestal separate from everything else.

That's a rather vague proposal. What does 'putting it on a pedestal' even mean? I'm so confused.
Put on a pedestal as in elevated above other fields. Science is seen as having somehow accessed "truth" in a way other "subjective" fields cannot.

Science isn't a field, it's a method. On what grounds do you say subjectivity exists, anyway?

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Riviera de la Mancha
The issue is not with the nature of science, nor is accurate to assert that science is subjective.

The nature of science (the scientific method) is not itself problematic; its merely a process of analysis. Abstract processes, unless internally illogical or inconsistent, have no inherent problems. If they have issues, it is with their implimentation.

To say science is subjective is just plain wrong. I can't (without being discredited and barred from my field) make up evidence, nor does my own beliefs about the non/existence of facts, influence science.

What is accurate though is to point out the limits of the scientific method in determining things like the truth. People far too often equate factual assessments with the truth, but that is not the case. Factual determinations as measured by science only result in those things which are quantifiable. Things which cannot be quantified, but are none the less relevant to the assessment of truth, are thus left out.

Equally true is that facts themselves are often meaningless. Scientists, and other 'educated' persons, often ascribe, without realizing it, values to facts based on the circumstances they find themselves in or with the goals they are seeking to achieve. Facts are things; putting on a lab coat and acting as if its conclusions are always entirely self-evident doesn't obfuscate this. Intepretation is needed to give facts a value, and interpretation is always subject to error.

Indeed.

Aged Gaian

11,400 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Forum Regular 100
Project 429
frozen_water
Project 429
frozen_water
GunsmithKitten
If you're injured and need medical attention, would you rather have a priest praying over you, or an EMT trying to stop the bleeding with the medical science he learned?

You missed the point. I'm not saying science is bad, I'm saying that it is subjective and should be recognized as such. Not that it can't prove useful, and in certain situations it's obviously more helpful than others, but that it shouldn't be placed on some pedestal separate from everything else.

That's a rather vague proposal. What does 'putting it on a pedestal' even mean? I'm so confused.
Put on a pedestal as in elevated above other fields. Science is seen as having somehow accessed "truth" in a way other "subjective" fields cannot.

Science isn't a field, it's a method. On what grounds do you say subjectivity exists, anyway?
The scientific method is a thing, it's not all of science. Science is a field of study dealing with how the universe works. (The scientific method is a tool it uses.)

Subjectivity exists because during the processes of obtaining data, synthesizing it, and analyzing it the end product is subjected to the thoughts, opinions, and determinations of individual people. There is no way of producing objective facts through subjective interpretations.
frozen_water
Project 429
frozen_water
Project 429
frozen_water
GunsmithKitten

The scientific method is a thing, it's not all of science. Science is a field of study dealing with how the universe works. (The scientific method is a tool it uses.)

Subjectivity exists because during the processes of obtaining data, synthesizing it, and analyzing it the end product is subjected to the thoughts, opinions, and determinations of individual people. There is no way of producing objective facts through subjective interpretations.

If you're going to go all solipsistic on me let me know right now so I can go do something more productive with my time than debate metaphysics with someone who believes that my very existence reasonably might be their delusion.

Everything is subjected to the thoughts, opinions and determinations of individuals. That doesn't mean all thoughts, opinions and determinations are equally valid and deserving of equal respect. Some thoughts, opinions and determinations are quite stupid. And it certainly doesn't mean that objectivity can't be found through subjective interpretations. It also doesn't mean that all 'subjective' concepts are equally valid.

Do you even philosophy, bro?
Project 429

i actually wrote a book on philosophy

Aged Gaian

11,400 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Forum Regular 100
Project 429
Everything is subjected to the thoughts, opinions and determinations of individuals. That doesn't mean all thoughts, opinions and determinations are equally valid and deserving of equal respect.
Of course not, that's why I use reason and logic to judge which ideas seem to be more valid. I don't view subjectivity as a negative thing, just the nature of life.

Quote:
Some thoughts, opinions and determinations are quite stupid. And it certainly doesn't mean that objectivity can't be found through subjective interpretations.
How can it be?

Quote:
If that is the case, nothing is objective.
Nothing is objective? Perhaps. I like to believe there are objective truths there's just no way of proving them, through science or otherwise.

Quote:
As a matter of fact it's my major. Specifically STS studies.
frozen_water
Project 429
Everything is subjected to the thoughts, opinions and determinations of individuals. That doesn't mean all thoughts, opinions and determinations are equally valid and deserving of equal respect.
Of course not, that's why I use reason and logic to judge which ideas seem to be more valid. I don't view subjectivity as a negative thing, just the nature of life.

Quote:
Some thoughts, opinions and determinations are quite stupid. And it certainly doesn't mean that objectivity can't be found through subjective interpretations.
How can it be?

Quote:
Nothing is objective? Perhaps. I like to believe there are objective truths there's just no way of proving them, through science or otherwise.

Quote:

Now I have absolutely no clue with what you meant by science taking the place of religion.

Devoted Sweetheart

Read OP, tl;dr the rest.

While I agree with you that portraying "science" as a deific truth is in no manner different from a religious belief system, I disagree that those with such views are correct. Correct, as in to say logical, which in turn is to say scientific.

On the basest level of our understanding of the universe, it does not appear to follow any of the laws we have dictated (based on methods and approaches throughout the course of human history) that it should. It is random, chaotic, and disturbed even by our observation of it.

That alone would lead any rational "scientist" (and in this case I use that term to mean "one who has replaced religion with science) to further question his/her beliefs.

The only absolute truth, so far, is that there is no absolute truth. Coming from science, religion, or elsewhere.

Aged Gaian

11,400 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Forum Regular 100
Project 429
frozen_water
Project 429

Quote:
How can it be?

Quote:

Quote:
Now I have absolutely no clue with what you meant by science taking the place of religion.
I already said this, you misunderstand my point if you view it as being one in which Science = religion. The OP was about how science is seen an objective, (as other fields are not) and as an extension many people don't question science because they view it's results as fact.

The idea of science producing facts makes it somehow infallible, you can't argue a fact after all, it just is correct. People (not everyone but as a general view) seem to set science apart from other fields as objective and free from human subjectivity giving it some sort of elevated status, and making it near impossible to question the products, or at least making the products of science superior to those of other fields.
frozen_water
many people don't question science because they view it's results as fact.

Who?

Aged Gaian

11,400 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Forum Regular 100
Project 429
frozen_water
many people don't question science because they view it's results as fact.

Who?
Mainly those adhering to ideas such as Logical positivism or realism, although these terms are very specific and I'm inclined to think the population could be expanded to include anyone with similar views. Historically speaking these and similar ideas have been the majority view.
Apoplexic
The only absolute truth, so far, is that there is no absolute truth.

Paradox. 1≠0

Devoted Sweetheart

Eyerunny
Apoplexic

Contradiction. 1≠0

Zero does not exist; there is no such thing as nothing.
So really, the contradiction is 0≠0.
But this is still rather counter to the point I was making.
Apoplexic
Eyerunny
Apoplexic

Contradiction. 1≠0

Zero does not exist; there is no such thing as nothing.
So really, the contradiction is 0≠0.
But this is still rather counter to the point I was making.

Absence of a thing implies potential to have a thing, which is a thing.
An absolute truth of an absence of any absolute truth contradicts itself by being postulated as an absolute truth.
You concluded your post with that self-contradictory statement. If that was not the point you were making why say it, especially with a tone of finality?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff