Welcome to Gaia! ::

Phallic Wonderland
adorna bones
Jessi Danger
adorna bones
Jessi Danger
Steam Punk Adept
It's racist for me to not be physically attracted to dark skin? You realize how pretentious that sounds? It's exactly the same as telling a gay man he's sexist because he won't date woman, or telling a straight woman she's sexist because she won't don't women. People are attracted to what they are attracted to. Calling a white person racist because they won't date you is ******** ignorant. And you know something, it's just like pulling the ******** race card any time a white cop arrests a black man. Obviously, all whites are racist....

I stand by what I said, you are a ******** troll, because you ignore anything that contradicts you.

Its nothing more then a thinly veiled attempt to guilt trip people into sex and relationships they don't want.

You really need to stop talking because the only thing you're doing is embarrassing yourself. I have had many successful romantic relationships with people of different colors, including whites. The last thing I would need to do is guilt trip anybody into a relationship, because I surely wouldn't need such a thing when I have my intelligence and personality to bide for me.

Or would you rather me stroke your ego by telling you a sob story about how all the white boys that I've ever been in love with have always denied me and chose a white woman with flowing, blonde hair instead?

Stay classy, sweetheart.

Everyone on the internet is the sexy perfect person with tons of love interests.... emotion_awesome

I'm sorry that simple explanation of my love life only leaves you thirsty for more. I suggest finding a waterhole. I'm sure there are plenty of people there waiting to be sexually shamed.

Was my response to your Picard facepalm too good for you to respond to? I'm still waiting on it.

Or there's a chance that I was too busy replying to others to concentrate on your reply? Don't give yourself too much credit.
Phallic Wonderland
adorna bones
Phallic Wonderland
I don't really find most black people attractive because they have a different sweat smell produced by different bacteria than the melanin-inept... and that is what makes me not want to go for black people.

I think I've heard it all now.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Scent has a tremendous amount to do with whether someone is attractive or not. And some Africans/African Americans have a more acidic property to their sweat to help protect from UV rays.

And here's an except to prove I wasn't posting just to sound like an idiot:

Quote:
"Apocrine glands are scent glands in areas such as the armpits and groin. They produce secretions that, after they are degraded by bacteria, produce pheromones, chemicals that have sexually and racially-distinctive odors. Not only are the secretions themselves racially different, but the species of bacteria that degrade them to produce the odors are also racially different. Thus, there is a distinct difference in body odor between the major racial groups, detectible by dogs and by some people. Asians have the least amount of body odor and find the odor of the other races, particularly blacks, objectionable. Odor may seem like a trivial matter, but odor is very important, both in identifying genetic similarity between individuals and, between the sexes, receptability towards mating, the suppression of menstruation, and even the identification of mothers and their babies. There is some evidence that women tend to be attracted to men whose odor indicates that they are genetically similar to theirs, but not too similar; a slight difference in odor indicates that the man’s immune system is different from hers, thereby possibly giving their children a stronger immune system. (Roberts, 2005)

...Yeah, I still particularly find the odor explanation a bit suspect because I feel that it's just another way to slap a soup label on all people of a specific race. I'm suspect of science in general, considering its history, but that's another tale for another time.
black_wing_angel
Major Lima Charlie
black_wing_angel
adorna bones
I don't understand how someone could possibly state they are not attracted or would not date someone of a different race. I've seen many discussions (a few on Gaia, most outside of Gaia) in which people have shared their views on "preferential" dating, and how they have tried to justify not being attracted to or refusing to date someone of a different race - and on each and every occasion I've always, regardless of the person's race, have always called bullshit.

*Shrug* Everyone has their preferences, based on what looks good to them, or not.

It's no different than someone who prefers larger breasts or hips. Or smaller ones, for that matter.

Peoples' preferences are vast. Me? I kinda prefer longer hair (go figure), and a smaller body frame, probably a B or C cup, and so forth. Well, for a lot of people, skin color tends to play into that selective process. Most likely not even on a conscious level. It just doesn't look attractive to them.

That's not to say they hate people who don't meet these criteria, nor that they wouldn't be friendly to them, they're not just what one has in mind, when considering a partner. That's just natural selection, at work.

So, no. Not bullshit. Aeons of biological procreative process, at work.
There is no biological basis to assume that dating within one's racial group makes a person more apt to survive.

I never said anything about only dating within one's race. Having preferences does not require racial purity. Me? I'm as white as you can get, without being classified as "******** albino". And yet, I can't help but think those Asians can be really cute. Probably plays into my attraction to smaller body-frames. Plus those eyes...GOD I love those eyes.

However, wide, flat noses? Not exactly a fan. And while ear or eyebrow piercings can be really cute, nose or lip piercings are deal-breakers. As are excessive tattooing. They just don't work for me.

And natural selection isn't about survival. It's about attraction.

Quote:
The natural selection argument is absolutely scientifically devoid. It's a falsehood, a myth.

Why? Just because you don't like it?

Let me ask you, would you be willing to date just anyone that asked you out? Or do you have your own preferences?

My favorite quote (I can't recall who first said it), regarding racial preference, is "If racial preference is racist, then sexual preference is sexist".

She takes issue with the natural selection argument because you can't necessarily apply it to all portions of society. Keep in mind that during the Gilded Age, the rich and the prosperous took the idea of natural selection and made it less about the idea of biological mutation and more about why the poor were poor, how the rich were ordained to be wealthy, how the poor deserved to be in their position of society, and why it was just best for all of them to die out. It was a classist (and also racist) theory adapted from the scientific idea of natural selection.

In any case, if your argument of natural selection truly had any grounds, that would mean that people like me, my mother, my cousin, or many other people, especially in America, would not exist; if people were so apt to associate themselves only with people of same or similar color or features, most Black Americans would not exist. After all, nearly all American born black people are of mixed ancestry - whether our ancestors were birthed from two people in love or from rape (which is another thing: people will say they are not attracted to people with dark or brown skin all the time, yet can still be sexually attracted enough to them to force themselves on them, even today? Makes absolutely no sense to me.)

And no; the quote, "If racial preference is racist, then sexual preference is sexist" is wrong and has absolutely no barrings on this subject, as I stated earlier. The only instance in which one can logically make a comparison of intersectionality of the two is if your dealing with race and sexuality within the LGBTQ community. If we were actually discussing the latter, I wouldn't have to constantly shut down the If I Have A Racist Racial Preference, Then I Must Have A Sexist Sexual Preference argument.

Believe me when I say it's starting to get tiring having to hear people try to make the same comparison over and over again.
adorna bones
Phallic Wonderland
adorna bones
Phallic Wonderland
I don't really find most black people attractive because they have a different sweat smell produced by different bacteria than the melanin-inept... and that is what makes me not want to go for black people.

Scent has a tremendous amount to do with whether someone is attractive or not. And some Africans/African Americans have a more acidic property to their sweat to help protect from UV rays.

Quote:
"Apocrine glands are scent glands in areas such as the armpits and groin. They produce secretions that, after they are degraded by bacteria, produce pheromones, chemicals that have sexually and racially-distinctive odors. Not only are the secretions themselves racially different, but the species of bacteria that degrade them to produce the odors are also racially different. Thus, there is a distinct difference in body odor between the major racial groups, detectible by dogs and by some people. Asians have the least amount of body odor and find the odor of the other races, particularly blacks, objectionable. Odor may seem like a trivial matter, but odor is very important, both in identifying genetic similarity between individuals and, between the sexes, receptability towards mating, the suppression of menstruation, and even the identification of mothers and their babies. There is some evidence that women tend to be attracted to men whose odor indicates that they are genetically similar to theirs, but not too similar; a slight difference in odor indicates that the man’s immune system is different from hers, thereby possibly giving their children a stronger immune system. (Roberts, 2005)

...Yeah, I still particularly find the odor explanation a bit suspect because I feel that it's just another way to slap a soup label on all people of a specific race. I'm suspect of science in general, considering its history, but that's another tale for another time.

I think that's a pretty good argument. The fact that you are 'suspicious of science' just makes you look silly to me and certainly doesn't refute Phallic's evidence about the importance of odor.

Witty Genius

9,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
adorna bones

Believe me when I say it's starting to get tiring having to hear people try to make the same comparison over and over again.
It's because the comparison is valid, and ignoring it won't make it go away.
Quinzel
adorna bones
Phallic Wonderland
adorna bones
Phallic Wonderland

Quote:

I think that's a pretty good argument. The fact that you are 'suspicious of science' just makes you look silly to me and certainly doesn't refute Phallic's evidence about the importance of odor.

How is it silly when science has a long, valid history of being racially biased (and please, if I even hear one inkling of this being untrue, I'll have to throw my hands in the air)? Just recently you had a white woman considered to be most beautiful person in the world (not sure why we have things like this in the first place) for possessing features that are present in all racial groups. And this was all based on SCIENCE. And how is it silly that I don't find Phallic's Wonderland's credible and logical across all boards when you still have people of various races mixing their genetics with black people despite their "particular scent"?
Steam Punk Adept
adorna bones

You and other people can shout the same thing across every mountain all you want, but that doesn't mean it makes it a valid statement. neutral

Devoted Explorer

Phallic Wonderland
adorna bones
Jessi Danger
adorna bones
Jessi Danger
Steam Punk Adept
It's racist for me to not be physically attracted to dark skin? You realize how pretentious that sounds? It's exactly the same as telling a gay man he's sexist because he won't date woman, or telling a straight woman she's sexist because she won't don't women. People are attracted to what they are attracted to. Calling a white person racist because they won't date you is ******** ignorant. And you know something, it's just like pulling the ******** race card any time a white cop arrests a black man. Obviously, all whites are racist....

I stand by what I said, you are a ******** troll, because you ignore anything that contradicts you.

Its nothing more then a thinly veiled attempt to guilt trip people into sex and relationships they don't want.

You really need to stop talking because the only thing you're doing is embarrassing yourself. I have had many successful romantic relationships with people of different colors, including whites. The last thing I would need to do is guilt trip anybody into a relationship, because I surely wouldn't need such a thing when I have my intelligence and personality to bide for me.

Or would you rather me stroke your ego by telling you a sob story about how all the white boys that I've ever been in love with have always denied me and chose a white woman with flowing, blonde hair instead?

Stay classy, sweetheart.

Everyone on the internet is the sexy perfect person with tons of love interests.... emotion_awesome

I'm sorry that simple explanation of my love life only leaves you thirsty for more. I suggest finding a waterhole. I'm sure there are plenty of people there waiting to be sexually shamed.

Was my response to your Picard facepalm too good for you to respond to? I'm still waiting on it.
SISKO.
adorna bones
Quinzel
adorna bones
Phallic Wonderland
adorna bones

Quote:

How is it silly when science has a long, valid history of being racially biased (and please, if I even hear one inkling of this being untrue, I'll have to throw my hands in the air)? Just recently you had a white woman considered to be most beautiful person in the world (not sure why we have things like this in the first place) for possessing features that are present in all racial groups. And this was all based on SCIENCE. And how is it silly that I don't find Phallic's Wonderland's credible and logical across all boards when you still have people of various races mixing their genetics with black people despite their "particular scent"?

Well honestly I'm glad you took the route that science is racially biased, because I thought you were going to take one I've heard recently: 'Modern science is untrustworthy because we used to think the sun revolved around the earth or some other archaic belief.''

I'm not sure what you're referring to about this "most beautiful woman in the world" thing. Was it some kind of composite based on a survey of what attracts people or is this more of a "Miss America/Miss Universe" kind of thing?

As far as exceptions to attraction, we've obviously progressed beyond some of our more base instincts. Large breasts and wide hips are often considered attractive in women but just because flat-chested women get married, too, doesn't mean that there isn't an instinctual, evolutionary cause for a general attraction to those features. Of course, there are people who prefer petite figures just as there are people who say they prefer other races more than their own. We have evolved beyond being reliant on instinct when choosing a mate and are influenced by personality, compatibility, fetishes, etc. Base instincts still exist.

If you wish to call in to question the validity of scent when choosing a partner, I suggest you look in to the specific study.

Witty Genius

9,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
adorna bones
Steam Punk Adept
adorna bones

You and other people can shout the same thing across every mountain all you want, but that doesn't mean it makes it a valid statement. neutral
And yet, you haven't even attempted to prove that it's invalid, all you've done is claim it invalid and ignore it.
Wai Hallo dere Troll
Quinzel
adorna bones
Quinzel
adorna bones
Phallic Wonderland

Well honestly I'm glad you took the route that science is racially biased, because I thought you were going to take one I've heard recently: 'Modern science is untrustworthy because we used to think the sun revolved around the earth or some other archaic belief.''

I'm not sure what you're referring to about this "most beautiful woman in the world" thing. Was it some kind of composite based on a survey of what attracts people or is this more of a "Miss America/Miss Universe" kind of thing?

As far as exceptions to attraction, we've obviously progressed beyond some of our more base instincts. Large breasts and wide hips are often considered attractive in women but just because flat-chested women get married, too, doesn't mean that there isn't an instinctual, evolutionary cause for a general attraction to those features. Of course, there are people who prefer petite figures just as there are people who say they prefer other races more than their own. We have evolved beyond being reliant on instinct when choosing a mate and are influenced by personality, compatibility, fetishes, etc. Base instincts still exist.

If you wish to call in to question the validity of scent when choosing a partner, I suggest you look in to the specific study.

As I recall, it was basically a scientific composite on what attracts people the most. I thought it was particularly odd that according to these people (and I also think it would be important to mention that this study was made in the UK) a white woman wast the most attractive person in the entire world, considering that one) non-whites have basically started to outnumber whites and two) they were basing their proof on physical traits that I have seen in people of color. Additionally, someone even went through the trouble of finding pictures of women who may share the world's most beautiful woman's traits, and they managed to find women in several non-white racial groups who did!

Thanks to this and many other "scientifically logical" studies, I am very wary of just taking a scientific study's word for it.

Though, with that being said, I still take issue with racial attraction being rooted in basic instinct because thanks to society's standards of beauty, I find a lot of people basing their "preferences" on the latter even though it's really rooted in some innate, racial perception.

I think I might just look into this subject a little more, actually. While we may disagree about a few things, I'm still very thankful that you took the time to speak to me in a decent manner because this topic has managed to bring out the worst in people, including myself (only after being pushed to the brink, of course).

Devoted Explorer

Steam Punk Adept
adorna bones
Steam Punk Adept
adorna bones

And yet, you haven't even attempted to prove that it's invalid, all you've done is claim it invalid and ignore it.
Wai Hallo dere Troll
If you'll remember, she's written several paragraphs on it.

I really, really dislike it when people talk loads of s**t and when someone shoots them down, they act like they didn't.

We call that confirmation bias. Also being a punk.
Major Lima Charlie
Riviera de la Mancha
Major Lima Charlie
Riviera de la Mancha
Major Lima Charlie
You don't deny, though, that you are the sum of parts innumerable.

Relevance?
I won't see you hide behind a "MY PREFERENCES SHOULD NOT BE QUESTIONED" shield.

Again, what does this mean? I never said that preferences shouldnt be questioned. I expressly agreed with you and said that your conclusion might be correct. I said that when you do question something like this, the answer is more often going to be benign rather than some thought out or subconscious wicked intent towards people of color.
I was acknowledging that you agreed with me, but pointed out that you're a bit smarter than the average.

In matters of the heart, I should hardly say so.

Rather, I think sometimes people put too much thought in things like this.

Devoted Explorer

Riviera de la Mancha
Major Lima Charlie
Riviera de la Mancha
Major Lima Charlie
Riviera de la Mancha
Major Lima Charlie
You don't deny, though, that you are the sum of parts innumerable.

Relevance?
I won't see you hide behind a "MY PREFERENCES SHOULD NOT BE QUESTIONED" shield.

Again, what does this mean? I never said that preferences shouldnt be questioned. I expressly agreed with you and said that your conclusion might be correct. I said that when you do question something like this, the answer is more often going to be benign rather than some thought out or subconscious wicked intent towards people of color.
I was acknowledging that you agreed with me, but pointed out that you're a bit smarter than the average.

In matters of the heart, I should hardly say so.

Rather, I think sometimes people put too much thought in things like this.
I'd say most often, seldom enough.
Steam Punk Adept

Wai Hallo dere Troll

I've told you why it was invalid and specifically gave you an explanation as to why. But since you seem to keep acting like I've said absolutely nothing to you and seem to be having fun incorrectly using the term troll, I'll gladly post someone else's explanation:

Ingrid Pierre
Note: I speak as a biracial, straight, cisgendered female American, who identifies as both black and Asian.

Big question, lots of little pieces to address, but I’ll state my answer upfront: yes it is racist. Yer pickin’ one race as desirable over the other. I won’t go all kumbaya to say we’re all one human race, because that's absolutely counterproductive and totally ahistorical.

Racial preference, or as you stated, exclusive racial preference, is inherently racist because “races” as we commonly understand them are not exclusively physical traits. Racial identity may not be the color of skin or the shape of facial features, but rather something more inherent, more deeply, intangibly complicated than say, being tall. So right off the bat we should not equate racial preference with aesthetic preferences.

Racial identity is very vague (or for lack of a better word “imaginary”) as a biological trait. Race as we know it has to do with hundreds to thousands of years of history, changing geographies, ethnicities, prejudices, politics, social norms, and cultural traits and practices. These kinds of invisible but very important things help define, and in most cases enrich, what we know as someone’s “race”.

So, when you hear someone say, “Oh, I just don’t find _insert race_ sexually attractive.” Given little (really, zero) biological basis for this preference, we should assume that the preference is due to the factors stated previously. I can’t help but point out that people have been known to be sexually responsive to things as small and faceless as the space between two toes… so if a person is exclusively sexually attracted to a specific race they have limited themselves in a way that reveals there is something else going on.

"He's into feet, but not Asian feet..."

Social conditioning usually governs these preferences at heart. This is why exclusive sexual preference is problematic; it eliminates sexual partners based not on what one truly desires for oneself, but on what social pressures and other constructs might dictate (again, race = social construct). It may feel like a very personal choice, but we cannot ignore the broader factors that lead people to make them. This is important to understand when we throw words like “racist” or “racism” around. The person with the racially based sexual preference may mean no harm and may be completely unaware of how problematic these seemingly personal choices are. That does not exclude their choices from racism.

**The question is very broad about which racial preference is in question. So I have been broad(ish) in my answer thus far. But! There is a more important caveat about racism that takes this question further. Many people further define racism as "prejudice + power" (the reason why some say white people can’t say the n-word but black people can). Racialized sexual preference is prejudicial. Period. But coupled with privilege it can be upper level racist.

Just like you can't equate racial preference with aesthetic traits, you can not possibly do the same with sexual traits. While both race and sexuality are both complicate subjects, they are also both complicated in their own right; meaning that in some instances you can't use one as an explanation for the other and scream, "PROOF!"

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff