Welcome to Gaia! ::

So I've decided to finally read The Hobbit and the LOTR, but I don't know which to read (the trilogy or the prequel). I've seen none of the movies either. Which one should I read first?

OG Noob

7,775 Points
  • Married 100
  • Divorced 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
Well, the Hobbit was technically written to be taken as a children's story.

The trilogy is more of an epic poem that involves a lot of heavy duty morality statements, as well as cryptic metaphors for the atrocities of WW2

Time-traveling Kitten

CoolCello7
So I've decided to finally read The Hobbit and the LOTR, but I don't know which to read (the trilogy or the prequel). I've seen none of the movies either. Which one should I read first?

I loved both so much but i like The Hobbit more.
I found the Hobbit was a quicker and easier read. It was a good start to the series. The LOTR was also good, just a lot longer

Profitable Sex Symbol

13,875 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
The Hobbit (:
Honestly, like the others said, it's a good starter.

Bunny

30,425 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Bookworm 100
the Hobbit comes first, chronologically,
so i'd go with that.

Learned Codger

5,475 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Hesitant Participant 100
  • Runway First Vote 50
The Hobbit, since it is the introduction to Middle Earth.

4,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Full closet 200
Seraphiel The Forgiving

The trilogy is more of an epic poem that involves a lot of heavy duty morality statements, as well as cryptic metaphors for the atrocities of WW2

Gonna have to make a small correction here. Sorry, When it comes to Tolkien I nitpick.

Pulled from a wiki page:

"Tolkien said that he "disliked allegory in all its forms" (using the word applicability instead), and told those claiming the story was a metaphor for World War II to remember that he had lost "all but one" of his close friends in World War I."

So while it certainly can be said that Tolkien's writings were affected by World War 2, to claim direct metaphor would be to belittle the scope of the book's impact. Just as easily as it can be compared to WW2, I can compare LotR to numerous topics from my lifetime, which is why I believe Tolkien chose to attempt to write Applicably rather than Allegorically. The books are timeless in my opinion, with timeless topics, story, and morals.

HOO. Long winded, again, I apologize for the nitpick. As to my recommendation, it is thus; The Hobbit is an easy read, It's engrossing, and I wouldn't put you past devouring it in a few days. The Lord of the Rings is a much more difficult read, and though i read 300+ pages a day normally, it certainly took me some time. But I have not read another book that has had such a deep affect on my life(Though Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series came close, highly recommended btw). As soon as I finished it, i went back and started again. biggrin

So yeah. Read 'em.

OG Noob

7,775 Points
  • Married 100
  • Divorced 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
chron_121
Seraphiel The Forgiving

Gonna have to make a small correction here. Sorry, When it comes to Tolkien I nitpick.

Pulled from a wiki page:

"Tolkien said that he "disliked allegory in all its forms" (using the word applicability instead), and told those claiming the story was a metaphor for World War II to remember that he had lost "all but one" of his close friends in World War I."

So while it certainly can be said that Tolkien's writings were affected by World War 2, to claim direct metaphor would be to belittle the scope of the book's impact. Just as easily as it can be compared to WW2, I can compare LotR to numerous topics from my lifetime, which is why I believe Tolkien chose to attempt to write Applicably rather than Allegorically. The books are timeless in my opinion, with timeless topics, story, and morals.

HOO. Long winded, again, I apologize for the nitpick. As to my recommendation, it is thus; The Hobbit is an easy read, It's engrossing, and I wouldn't put you past devouring it in a few days. The Lord of the Rings is a much more difficult read, and though i read 300+ pages a day normally, it certainly took me some time. But I have not read another book that has had such a deep affect on my life(Though Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series came close, highly recommended btw). As soon as I finished it, i went back and started again. biggrin

So yeah. Read 'em.

Tried to read the hobbit, got bored and irritated by the end of the first half. Tolkien's manner of writing just isn't to my liking. He's very grand in his literature, and it just becomes long winded for me. I also didn't like how he continuously broke off on story tangents in it, felt like I was listening to some kid with ADHD tell me a story (and I have ADHD, oddly enough).
Lord Of The Rings was better
twisted cool

Dapper Gekko

I read the trilogy first, but I would probably suggest going with the Hobbit. The Hobbit and the trilogy are independent enough that you wouldn't be missing out on anything if you started with the trilogy first, but the Hobbit just adds a bit more back story.

Glittering Star

10,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
start with the trilogy
i think it was much better
the endings of both were kinda anticlimatic tho

Desirable Millionaire

7,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Cash Grabber 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
I also agree to start with The Hobbit. But it's not necessary to if you would rather start with LOTR

Kawaii Poster

CoolCello7
lotr then the hobbit. that's how Tolkien wanted it done. also do that for the movies and the hobbit mentions some things from the lotr movies.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff