Welcome to Gaia! ::

So I've had a lot of comic ideas in the past, and now I think I want to actually try to make a real attempt to make one of them real.

But my biggest problem when ever I try something like this is I can never get myself to focus long enough to actually get anything substantial done. I'll usually end out with a half planned idea and the first page done and some others sketched out.

So what I'm asking here is what do you do to try and stay committed to a project? Or do you have any suggestions for me.

Shadowy Phantom

Let your stories sit before you start drawing them. Keep building the story in your head, or in the form of outlines, concept art, etc. Get it all planned out before you start drawing. Sometimes, let it sit without working on it for a few weeks or even months. If a story idea interests you so much that you still want to work on it after months (or in some cases, years) of this, then it's probably one worth doing, and one you'll be able to stick to.

Once you feel like you're ready to work on a story, thumbnail it before you start doing pages. Be sure it works in thumbnails and that you're still interested in the visuals of the story. If not, scrap it and move on to whatever other ideas you've been mulling over for the past few months. If thumbnailing a story bores you, then so will drawing it.

Feral Phantom

8,200 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Super Tipsy 200
my biggest suggestion (as someone who has really bad focus problems I mean seriously I should be working right now.) is to discipline yourself, because lets face it:

you wont be able to do anything if you aren't able to actually sit down and do it. wishing wont work! try small steps towards working for longer and more consecutive periods of time.

try working on an hour(be it writing, thumbnailing, staring at the page) then up the time a little more each time or w.e. for me, I like to create soundtracks of music that makes me think of the story and I listen to those on a loop to keep me INTO the story. (I also demand that no one bother me while im working) since you can easily be pulled out.

try doodling first, and it may be hard, but always try to doodle something relevant to a story your working on, even if they aren't the greatest idea, you gotta work through crap ones to get gold.
also if you get restless, get up and walk around your house/apt, or excersize a little.

even if you need to take many breaks, as long as your getting back in there and working you should feel proud.

also , although in the face of everything stated above, make sure you WANT to work at that time (or on that story) because otherwise the work will suffer if your hearts not into it. so if its not a good day, then just chill that day. but don't get in the habit of using that as a get out of jail free card for not working!

okay ive said too much, GOOD LUCK1!!

Blessed Vampire

4,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Team Edward 100
I have found a technique that works for me, as I am the kind of artist who tends to be all over the place. biggrin I write the story down, from the beginning to the end, then break it down into chapters, the chapters into scenes, the scenes into pages and the pages into panels. That way I know exactly what to do, how many pages it will take and what will be on it. It helps with the thumbnails and stops me from changing the story, so I can concentrate on drawings.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff