Welcome to Gaia! ::

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

"God does not play dice with the universe." - Einstein (paraphrased)____________________"We do, though." - Us

Click the banner to go to:
www.gaia-quantum.org

User Image

Given away so far: ~87,563,397

(Current charity funds: around 50 million. No, really. o.o)

Latest news:

- Giveaway on hold due to technical issues with my hosting provider.
- Over 85 million given away in gold and items!
- Managed to sell my devil tail to someone who had long quested for it. Now have approximately all of the gold.
- Quantum Giveaway reopened; currently going into it's final phase, wherein I give away my most prized possessions.
FAQ

User Image
?____What is this I don't even?

This is my charity / giveaway thread, wherein everyone has a chance to receive lots of gold and/or awesome items. I created it because hunting through the charity forum for deserving people became a bit too time-consuming and tedious, and because I felt indecisive a lot. I wanted to go for something a bit less arbitrary.

And so, this charity operates on chance, employing a slot-machine as well as other competitions and games to determine who gets stuff. All based on the charity mini-site, and with no entrance fee whatsoever.

So hopefully, you can have fun here, and maybe win something while doing so. Perhaps you'd also like to participate in the friendly little mini-community that has blossomed in this thread!

?____But why 'Quantum?'

In picking random recipients, I could've just gone with the standard format: use Gaia's pseudo-random dice-roll or number generator, and pick a winner as soon as someone rolls right. But that's just kind of lame. Instead, I decided to use the services of Fourmilab in Switzerland. They use the process of radioactive decay as a random number generator which, as far as I understand it, is truly random, as opposed to a computer which can only use complex algorithms to try and simulate randomness. (This because, according to quantum mechanics, no one can predict exactly when one of their caesium atoms is going to decay.) My code occasionally connects to their server, requests some of those deliciously random bits, and uses those to decide things like results of giving the slot-machine a spin. From there, quantum mechanics sort of became the theme of the whole thing.

?____Why would you do this?!

Lulz? It may seem like overkill, but I'm too huge a geek to really care: it simply begged to be coded. :3 I also created the mini-site especially for the charity. This is convenient, as you can simply enter your Gaia username there, and participate immediately, without having to wait and hope that I'll find some vague form you posted on page n of this thread. Lastly, it was a fun project for me to experiment with some new stuff, like the jQuery tools library.

?____My username? Is that safe?

I'm glad you asked! The site only asks for your username - nothing else. If I could hack your account with that, none of you'd be safe to begin with. XD Seriously though - and perhaps a bit redundantly - just don't enter your Gaia password there, or anywhere other than Gaiaonline, and you should be fine.

?____And often are these random bits fetched?

Whenever someone observes the site, they change state. Kind of like quantum entanglement, except not.

?____Or like schrödinger's cat!

We do not speak of it here. sweatdrop My cat does not approve of that experiment..

?____Okaaaay... So.. wait, how does this work now?

The main game right now is Quantum Slots. A round of slots lasts 4 days, as you can see on the countdown. Each day, you get 100 credits which you can use to increase your score. The person which the highest score at the end wins the prize!

?____Do I have to spend all my credits in one sitting?

Naw, you can leave at anytime. When you log in later, your score and credits will be loaded and you can continue where you left off, even if you come back another day (within the same round).

?____And how are the scores calculated?

Please refer to the handy-dandy diagram:

User Image

PROTIP: I'm guessing that consistently getting 4 Quantum Orbs is probably a pretty solid strategy.

?____What kind of prizes are we talking about

It varies. smile You can see what the current prize is on the banner on the first page, or next to your score and credts on the slot-machine. Usually I'll aim for an item around 500K. It isn't unheard of for them to exceed a million in worth, though! And if I don't have an item ready, I'll just go with pure gold.

?____Sweet! But what if I'm in second place? Or dead last? *sadface*

There there, fret not: everyone in the top ten wins something.

Here, let me break it down for you:

1. 500K in gold (or a special 500K+ item)
2. 100K
3. 100K
4. 100K
5. 100K
6. 20K
7. 20K
8. 20K
9. 20K
10. 20K

In other words, there's at least a million worth of prizes each round!

?____Ohnoes! I just found out about this now, and this round is already on day 2! D:

Don't worry. You'll get the credits from the day before, too. Everyone gets an equal chance.

?____And do my unused credits carry over to the next round?

Yes! Wait. No. So spin LIKE A BAT OUT OF HELL, dawg.

?____My luck is terrible; I'll never win..

Cheer up emo kid! Your spins are left up to the fickle whims of the infinitesimal: you may end up the new #1 in a few spins. If the universe hates you, though, you could consider working on your karma, or visualize yourself winning really, really hard!

?____Yay! Will that really work?

HAHAHA. No.

?____It's hopeless, then. *le-sigh*

Chin up, hey? There's always next round. And I sometimes host other competitions, games, and giveaways, too!

?____May I enter with my mule accounts, too?

I've given this some thought, and while I'm a laid-back kind of guy and don't see much harm in increasing one's odds a little bit, just know that I do have ways to detect people using mule accounts. They're not foolproof, but if I happen to catch egregious abuse of this the offenders might be disqualified. This isn't supposed to be a who-has-the-most-Gaia-accounts competition, after all..

?____Nobody actually reads down this far. Just your mom.

Hi mom!
Avast, me hearties! Here be some Quantum Competitions

These are some of the games and competitions I'm organizing on the side for my beloved Quantumites:

The Winged Orb:

Several people have reported mysterious UFO sightings on the mini-site! While intially just believed to be a myth, it appears that a curious creature - a Winged Orb that is similar to the Quantum Orb but airborne - actually does dwell there. However, encounters are far and few between.

When you spot on of these abominations of nature, however, be sure to click on them. This may be a bit of a challenge! I've heard from reliable sources that these rare and elusive critters can be hella fast, and may try to hide behind stuff! Cheeky bastards..

Why should you bother with them? Well, apparently they hold secret words - which only you will be privvy to, should you be lucky enough to catch one. If you post the secret word in here, I will reward you with one of the various letters I still have lying around!

User Image
Screenshots

User Image

User Image

User Image

Awesome people are awesome

User Image
The following Gaians deserve special mention:

• Kotatsu Hobo (Donated a bunch of stuff, and some gold!)
  • Serethielle (Donated rare item)
  • Amiriel (Rickroll-victim; donated gold regardless!)
  • Milk the cat, for showing up in my RIG and increasing the charity's funds by 36 million gold or so. xd And thanks to Riyo Ongaku for taking the pricey kitty off my hands!
  • Stawberrie-pocky (donated gold!)
  • J.Kougar (donated A LOT of prizes, that silly, silly kitty. heart )
  • The Lost Questors Charity (sponsored places 6-10 - TWICE whee )
  • be happy love lots (Appropriate name - made me happy by lovingly donating items!)
  • The Donation Mule (An enigmatic donating mule!)
  • Katarra Bloodstone (Donated an awesome prize for Quantum Slots, AND the incredible and hay-la-rious artwork on page one!) xd heart
  • Everyone who has tipped the first post, or clicked the <3 button. You rawk. o.o
I hereby tentatively declare this charity thread opened, maybe, perhaps. Definitely.
is there any affiliate post here? can you advertise my quest thread? c:
Fairy Khat

Not at the moment. I'll think about it, though. xd
Darkmane
Fairy Khat

Not at the moment. I'll think about it, though. xd

LOL, okay. if you have a banner i can advertise you in my thread. c:

5,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I'll sign up but I have one question. Do we have to sign up again for next week giveaway if we don't win?
Fairy Khat

Thanks! I might make a smaller version of the one above for such purposes. I'll let you know, and then we could cross-reference eachother. XD
Minty Poison
I'll sign up but I have one question. Do we have to sign up again for next week giveaway if we don't win?

Good question. Yes, I was planning on starting with a clean slate every week.
Darkmane
Fairy Khat

Thanks! I might make a smaller version of the one above for such purposes. I'll let you know, and then we could cross-reference eachother. XD

alright. (: visit my thread? it's right here

Fashionable Genius

7,000 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
Interesting hmm maybe I'll sign up ^^

5,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Darkmane
Minty Poison

Good question. Yes, I was planning on starting with a clean slate every week.

Good to know, thanks!
I have to say, a million gold is a mighty large amount per week and you're giving it away until you run out. 80

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff