Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Gekko

6,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Entrepreneur 150
Ever since Illisia had shown Glyph how to swim, he'd taken to practicing in the large pool to the west of the Pantheon. It was not too deep that he feared drowning but he could develop his skills without flopping around like a beached whale. Forest would have bothered Illisia to use her lake... but he rather thought coming back to her with improved skills would be more, well, impressive. He could grow plants but he couldn't grow gills, after all.

Floating around in the cool water, clad only in loosely fitting shorts that his aoidei had prepared for him, Glyph was watching the not-sky and contemplating recent events. It seemed progress was being made in all sectors, for which he was glad, but his time away from the Pantheon made it difficult to catch his allies for conversations and updates... like how the ravens were building nests in his trees - something he rather thought Ankou would appreciate. Or how he'd expanded the restored circle in the forest he'd been working on to a significantly greater radius about the heart then when he'd started...

He sighed.

Or to confirm Nergal's hand in his dreamstate beating. Ishum had promised to speak to Underworld on the matter but the Overseer had yet to make an appearance. Perhaps the aoide had forgotten? Or, more likely, the god had yet to return from wherever he'd gone out to.

Patience, he reminded himself. It was not so great a problem so long as Nergal exercised caution. Once, like that, was forgiveable... but he could not help but worry for other old groves that had withstood Gehenna. It was such a shame, to be struck down so suddenly when they'd proven to be survivors. At least they would provide excellent nursery logs for the next generation of trees, even if it would be a great many year before those saplings achieved the same grandeur.

Questing Firestarter

Forest, as it turned out, wasn't to be found in his quarters. It was Aelondrael who answered the door when Ishum knocked – he'd been hoping for Aisling or Natasha, really. Aelondrael was – while being about just as scantily clad as the other two aoidei – acting just as formal and aloof as an aoide could possibly get. Seeming perfectly fit for his own Lord, in fact. Perhaps Nergal should try and hire her.

It was strange, though, how she would look like the spitting image of Mandara, yet act in a completely different way …

At the very least, she'd been kind enough to disclose Forest's whereabouts, though Ishum wasn't quite sure if it had been due to her strict sense of duty, or rather Nergal's impressive presence lurking the hallway in some distance.

„Over there!“ Ishum called out, pointing.

Nergal's steps slowed down, and then, eventually, came to a complete halt. Her lord would be at the small lake to the west of the Pantheon, was what Glyph's aoide had divulged. Nergal had imagined Forest might be taking a walk, meditating or … whatever.

Certainly not actually taking a swim.

„I … do not think this is a convenient time to approach him,“ Nergal muttered, turning on his heels. „Let us try again at another time.“

Dapper Gekko

6,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Entrepreneur 150
Glyph tilted his head back when the aoide's shout sounded and he blinked, not recognizing the inverted figures of Ishum and... Nergal!? Rolling onto his stomach, Glyph splashed his way to the shore and stood, wringing out the edges of his shorts and flicking the moisture from his woody feet. Flexing toes, Forest rolled his shoulders and sighed. "I was just thinking about you. Greetings, Ishum!"

Calling back, he offered a wave of greeting though he frowned when Nergal presented his back started to walk away, having missed the god's comment. "Ah... Nergal?" His brows drew down to match the frown on his lips and he shook his head, "Do I smell bad?" Underworld hadn't struck him as that kind of rude... so it didn't sit well with him that the god would just walk away.

"Nergal?" He tried a second time, calling a little more loudly then before.

Questing Firestarter

„Lord …“

But Nergal had already stopped dead in his tracks, his hopes their presence might have gone unnoticed evaporated in an instant. Why did Ishum have to yell about that loudly? And now … clearly, he could no longer simply walk away.

Inwardly, he sighed.

„Lord Glyph,“ he said, turning, and trying to look anywhere but the one addressed as politely as it was possible. „Clearly, this is an inconvenient time to come talk to you, and I am more than willing to approach you at a later time when you will be … more properly dressed?“ He wasn't entirely sure whose dignity he was trying to save, his own, or Glyph's.

Dapper Gekko

6,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Entrepreneur 150
Glyph couldn't help the small smile that turned the edges of his lips up as Nergal looked everywhere but him. Was he really that difficult to look at? Illisia had no problem with this state of clothing, nor did his Aoide... and really, he was only so dressed because it made the mortals he encountered uncomfortable if he were to wear less, and because he did feel the chill against his skin when cold winds stirred. The only person it didn't seem to effect was the druid herself, though she was of like mind in that clothing was optional.

"More properly dressed?" Glyph looked at himself and huffed a sigh as if saying what's the big deal?, "This isn't an inconvenient time. I was just, ah, developing my swimming ability. Illisia and Xun Jiang are teaching me to swim." Sighing, he crouched for a moment and grabbed his towel that he'd brought with him and patted his face dry. A moment later he pulled on a spare tunic, carefully edging it around his branches - it hurt when he broke one - then arched a brow at Nergal, "Is that better?"

What difference a tunic made, he had no idea.

Questing Firestarter

Illisia? Xun Jiang? These names were unknown to Underworld, which came as no surprise. He filed them away for now, labeled as something to ask Ishum about at a later time.

Nergal dared take a glimpse at Forest's more covered form upon the younger god's question. „That is better indeed,“ he admitted, breathing a small sigh of relief. To someone like him, a tunic actually made a lot of difference, thank you, as he preferred to be able to talk to Glyph without the continuous distraction of his own embarassment.

„Ishum told me you came to our quarters a little while ago, with a complaint which – I believe – may have been rightfully made. Naturally, I wish to resolve this matter as quickly as possible. It would probably be in the best of both our interests.“ He paused. „Though, this does not seem like a good place …“ He glanced about, his gaze soon settling on one of the tea houses. „Over there, perhaps? You could recount what has happened while we walk there, I would like to hear of your 'nightmare' in your own words.“

He gave a small, barely noticeable nod to his aoide, and Ishum bowed, promptly dashing ahead to take care of the necessary preparations. „Let us take our time walking there,“ he suggested quietly, after he considered the aoide well out of listening range. „He is a very fine and devoted servant, but not without flaws. He talks too much.“

Dapper Gekko

6,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Entrepreneur 150
"Of course." Glyph nodded, starting towards said tea house as he slung the towel over one shoulder and raked a hand through his damp hair, sweeping into a more severe, slicked back style (until it dried, at least, and fluffed out again). "My nightmare? Well... I don't remember much now. Only that after I witnessed a forest being consumed by artificial creations, I sought refuge in a stand of old, determined trees... but they too fell. But," he sighed and shook his head, touching his face where the bruise had been, "A shockwave of some sort hit the grove - me included - and left me reeling as if I'd been beaten. I knew without a doubt that the forest surrounding me was dead and all it had taken was that flash burn of... death? I'm not even sure what it was. It was primal, if nothing else, and so I assumed it was of our kind."

He walked slowly, taking the time to remember as much of the dream as he was able, "When I looked up, I caught glimpse of a pale-skinned figure, dark-robed. There was a chill to the air... and the only being I know of that possesses all three traits is you, Nergal. And so I asked Ishum to pass on my message : To exercise caution. Trees do not grow so quickly as other plants... they live many spans of mortal lives and a forest is nothing if its trees are felled by the hand of Underworld. It hurts me." Gentle chastising aside, Glyph seemed more interested in preserving the health of his realm then in starting a fight or creating bad blood between them.

Questing Firestarter

„I did indeed ascent to the world above, some time ago. Using only my strength alone to see … if I could do it.“ He bowed his head, looking at the grass at his feet while he walked. It did not seem to wither where he touched it. But then again, he was restraining himself, keeping his power tightly controlled instead of having it bleeding all over the place as it had been during the Day of the Dead when it had been … somewhat of a necessity. That, and they were close to the Pantheon. With so many deities in one place, it was to be expected there'd be some sort of binding or barrier in effect, dampening their powers and keeping them from running rampant. Or so he assumed. „It felt … inadequate for me to have to rely on the gates and paths of the dead,“ he admitted, raising his gaze.

„Please tell me, was there someone else present during this scene in your dream? A mortal perhaps?“ This would help him to verify mayhaps if he and Glyph trulz were referring to the same instant. There was a small chance still, bruises aside, of this having been merely a nightmare, no more. If not …

Hm, he hadn't given those trees as much as a single look, when he had been in that place, too exhilarated by the possibilities that presented themselves to him at that moment. But, yes, now that he thought about it, those trees had seemed quite ancient. That live would be driven from small plants by the touch of his realm was one thing, but he hadn't really thought trees would be affected as well, strong and resilient as they seemed.

Dapper Gekko

6,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Entrepreneur 150
"I understand." There was no malice or sarcasm in his voice as he responded, finding no fault in wanting to test one's own bounds. He too yearned for that freedom.

Pursing his lips as he moved, Forest thought back, recalling the frustration and fear of encroaching 'civilization'... the relief a refuge offered and the sudden smack of power that had lanced through. A mortal...? Hmm... "Oh! Yes. I almost forgot about her. She was praying when the chill figure appeared, looked quite stunned when that same figure disappeared. I don't remember what she looked like, though, I'd barely caught sight of her when the shockwave hit."

Glyph sighed as he looked to Nergal, "You see, I was in too much pain to really remember details. Apologies."

Questing Firestarter

Not a mere nightmare then.

„No. It clearly is I who should apologize.“ Nergal stopped his stride, to turn and look at Glyph directly. „The woman was there. It was her Prayer, in fact, which guided me to that plane and place. It was no dream.“ And that grove, it might have been sacred to her, and her people, the Lord of the Dead belatedly realized with somewhat of a sinking feeling.

„I offer my most sincere apologies,“ he said, bowing to the younger god. „Especially as it … is likely going to happen again,“ he admitted ruefully. „I can sense the places of the dead and sacred to me, the great depths where the borders are thin and the realms overlapping – but otherwise my 'sight' of what is beyond the veil is blurry at best. I cannot truly 'see' where I am going to step into the living.“

„Is there something I could do to make amends?“

Dapper Gekko

6,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Entrepreneur 150
Glyph paused when Nergal did, nodding when Underworld offered his apologies, "My thanks for that, Nergal. But there is not much you can do, I only stress the need for caution... do whatever it was you did only when it's needed, perhaps? I do not presume to put restrictions on your activities, however, but some medium of thought and caution, perhaps even forewarning, would be appreciated."

He sighed, "If only I could find the Everwood's origin, I would offer that as a haunt to you, Underworld. Even dead, it takes so long to decay and fall that I doubt it would have an impact on the grandeur of a burial grove. I know it will happen again, and without notice as is the nature of such things, but I will not hold a grudge - you did not mean for that to happen. Deliberate destruction, however, would be an entirely different situation."

Questing Firestarter

Nergal frowned. To have to restrain himself whenever he wanted to 'step over', for the sakes of sending a messenger to wherever Forest might be found first, every single time?!

His displeasure was alleviated, however, when Glyph himself admitted such was likely impossible, further damage without notice not to be avoided.

„It would require a great deal of malefaction from your side first, for me to deliberately want to harm you and your realm,“ he assured. „Such is not going to happen.“ He could not, by no means whatsoever, possibly imagine Glyph wanting to lay hands on his Beloved, or his precious offspring.

„I will do what I can to avoid damage,“ he promised at least, as they approached the tea house. „As a means of compensation …“ He racked his brains, trying to think of something, anything. It was then that Ishum's gift to Gaia came to him, one that had apparently been much appreciated by her: A gift of seeds.

„I would have my followers sow seeds and and plant saplings, to make up for the damage done. Would that suffice? I do realize it takes a lot of time for a sapling to fully grow … But above ground, within the realms of the living, my space of influence is very limited, with the sole exception being the Day of the Dead. No further than the … average crop circle, I would guess,“ he suggested, after rummaging through his host's memories for a comparison. „It would balance out, I think. I hope.“

He peered down at the young forest deity, hoping for approval. Glyph seemed much kinder, much more agreeable than Kishara had ever been, so hopefully common ground could be found. Then again, he hadn't snagged a potential follower, possible paladin even, from him involuntarily.

Dapper Gekko

6,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Entrepreneur 150
"Then we've nothing to fear from one another," he replied though he laughed softly, "Your caution is appreciated and all that I ask. I'll not be an enemy of you." Glyph nodded slightly, as if the sentiment sounded right to him. There was no true reason for them to bicker, not when he expected such incursions to be rare and for them to grow more refined as Nergal settled into his power.

Forest blinked, his expression lighting up with a pleasant, surprised smile, "Ah, replenishing the groves with seeds and saplings would be... delightful. It takes time for me to encourage seeds to sprout and put down roots but if your followers would help... it would be a great help to me, a fitting compensation." However, he broke off as his brows furrowed in confusion, "What's a crop circle?" It was fairly obvious that he had no idea of the phenomenon - Malh'reth had come from a different culture and place and all Glyph could imagine was a field planted in circles rather then rows.

Questing Firestarter

Nergal bowed his head, humbly accepting the other god's assurance there'd be no ill feelings between them.

„Then it shall be done,“ the god-king of the dead said solemnly, „you have my word for it.“ Another small nod, and he began heading for the tea house again. He was considerate enough to shorten his steps some and walk slowly, making it easier for Glyph to keep pace with him. „It seems fitting even. My domain, albeit often confused with Death's, is not The End. It can be, but just as often the souls fade, or remain there forever, they are sent on - towards the hands of Gaia, and Rebirth."

„It is customary, I think, for a great many of civilizations to plant evergreens upon funerary sites …“ And it was just as common for them to be completely barren, but he'd rather choose not to mention that.

He walked quietly for a while, wondering how to best answer Glyph's curious question, and rummaged through what remained of his host's memories in an attempt to unearth something which would satisfy him. „It is a well known phenomenon of my host's home world. Perfect circles of flattened crops in their agrarian fields, seemingly appearing out of nowhere over night, and oft arranged in complex geometric patterns. Usually they would only be truly visible from far above. Of what I gathered, their origin and purpose remained an unsolved mystery for quite some time. Ley-lines were thought to be the cause, or storms, mayhaps. Interestingly, the theory uttered most often seems not to have been related to magic, but rather 'aliens' - space-faring races visiting their world. In the end, I think, they turned out to be man-made, a mere hoax.“

He smiled, definitely seeming a little mischievous. „I wonder though, what would they think now, if such circles were to appear again? Of crops not flattened by physical force, but withered, dead from the roots? Though, as my host's civilisation was reigned by 'reason', I suspect they'd rather look for mycelia killing their crops, rather than the raw power of the divine.“ He did sound a bit sour at that. It had upset him a great deal to find out that, in the greater part of Aislin's world, burial was a business, regimented by way too many laws for even his taste.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff