Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Fatcat

User Image

The smell of ocean air was being carried inland by the cold winds of an approaching storm, the sky blotched with muddled grays like watercolor over a painter’s canvas. Vera looked out eagerly through the parted velvet curtains of her carriage, clutching the sill in her thin fingers to keep from being jostled by the uneven trail. Outside, gulls floated beneath the darkened clouds, stalking the fishing boats that were pulling into a bustling port town to escape the rough seas for the night.

Vera glanced across the carriage to where Orin was nestled atop some cushions comfortably, a book hanging loosely from his grasp without a page marked to save his spot. He was staring out the opposite window with a dull expression, disinterested from his constant travels. Though when he felt her staring, Orin turned his head to fix Vera with a small smile that was no less dazzling to her than anything else he did. He tapped the pane of glass with a calloused finger, pointing to the city just beyond.

“We’re just outside of Zuleidi,” he announced, though anyone would know that by the beautiful cliff faces that stood against the sea on the horizon. “Laurent has a rich port. Nearly every trade ship passes through here on their way to the rest of Yardis and beyond. You’d be hard-pressed to find a more interesting place to call home. I know you’ll like it here.”

Vera spent the entire journey in a state of shock and excitement, but the Traveler’s words sent a new wave of exhilaration through her, so much so that her pale cheeks had been stained with ruby blush and her fingers drummed incessantly against every surface they came in contact with. She’d been freed from her cage, pulled up from the underworld, and now her life was truly starting. She couldn’t begin to imagine the adventures, the stories that awaited her. If only her family had felt the same, if only they’d understood what this new life meant to her.

“Come with me!” Vera had begged of her sister as she gathered her few possessions in her arms. “We’ll live in a real house, a great one with three floors that you could explore for days and not find everything. We’ll go to parties, we’ll swim in the ocean, a-and… please come with me.”

“I…I can’t, Vera. I can’t leave mother, and Abram, and Kaleb. You shouldn’t, either. We need to stick together. We-” Her sister snapped her mouth shut when heavy fists pounded at the door. A look of guilt washed over her face and Vera instantly knew what her sister had done.

“Vera, don’ be foolish!” Abram screamed as he tried to pound down the locked door. His red face was visible in his words. “You’re only sixteen. Ya can’t run off with some stranger. Think about this!”

“You can’t tell me what to do anymore, Abram!” Vera cried as she shoved her sister out of the way, eyes stinging with betrayal. Her voice cracked with a sob that erupted from nowhere as she scratched at the window until her fingers found the latch. She pulled it away and yanked the window open with a violent lurch.

“Vera, please,” Abram called, and she could hear him struggling not to yell at her. His voice had dropped a little, though there was something strange laced over it…something like desperation. “I know we don’ get along, but I just try tah do what’s best for ya. I’m not your real father but that don’ mean I don’ try. Vera? Vera listen to me, don’ you go. You don’ know what you’re gettin’ in to!”

Vera heard him, though she wished she hadn’t. His words were true, and there was more he didn’t have the chance to say, but none of it matter now. She’d made up her mind, and there was no changing it now. Something brighter waited for her on the horizon, and she would claw her way through the world alone to find it if she had to.

Without looking back at her sister, without thinking of her mother, with Abram’s words chasing after her, Vera dove out the window and hit the ground running, her eyes set on Orin’s face in the crowd.

User Image

The bitter frost was a hard thing to ignore, even with a dead man at your feet. The demon, settled beneath Sonya’s skin like a blanket, had the luxury of feeling absolutely nothing other than a sated hunger, the life of blood infused within its essence. Sonya, too, felt a burst of renewal surge through her tired bones like flowers bursting from the last frost into warm spring. The dark circles beneath her eyes faded, color returned to her skin, and the feverish heat of dying evaporated into the crisp air. The foreign energy was like a drug, uplifting her soul for a short time and reminding her how it felt to live. It was the closest semblance to joy or purpose that she had felt in years. And with the second murder the demon felt less like a pest and more like a visitor. Her body was coming to accept the creature, or it was seeping into her being like water on parched earth. The implications of this held little interest to her.

“I’ve killed for you twice now, but you’ve given nothing in return,” she muttered, her words curling around her head from the cold as she pulled her coat tightly around her chest. The snow crunched beneath her fur-trimmed boots as she turned back for camp, leaving the body half buried with its eyes open.

There are rewards on the horizon that you cannot fathom yet, the demon whispered back. Strange, she thought, how it began to speak differently to her.

For now, let me guide your way back to camp. The royals plan to make a journey into the city once they have rested. Go with them, aid them in their quest as we have been instructed by the gods. Then, I promise you girl, we will speak of your rewards.

Tipsy Poster

۪D۫۰۪a۫۰۪n۫۰۪i۫۰۪k۫۰۪a۫۰ "۪D۫۰۪a۫۰۪n۫۰۪i۫۰" M۫۰۪a۫۰۪r۫۰۪t۫۰۪i۫۰۪z۫۰xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
User Imagexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mischief Makerxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Beware she's schemin'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
she'll make you think you're dreamin' xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
You'll fall in love and you'll be screamin' dreamin'"xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

User Image
                                    Danika had expected screaming, she had expected anger, she had expected violence. She had thought that the elf, at the very least, would have grabbed her arm so roughly it was sure to bruise and dragged her out of the tent. He did none of these things and she would be lying if she said that she wasn't surprised. This was...interesting. Perhaps the elf liked verbal abuse. Well if that was the case, she could certainly give that to him. The whore seemed to do it often enough and he liked her company. Well that and the fact that he was a male and Sonya was attractive and easy if you had the coin...which as a prince he obviously had.

She listened to his responses, unsure of what else to do in this situation. She had prepared for angry Reriic, not whatever the hell this was. Maybe Sonya had given him angry sex before storming out of the tent. She would like to think that the prince lasted longer than that but he was a bit of an uptight b*****d. That could explain the whore's anger. Danika would be pretty angry too if it only took a couple of minutes to finish, no matter how well she was getting paid for it. Then again, she wasn't really a whore so...

When he got to the point in his little speech about Jean, she laughed out loud. She couldn't help it. "Oh aye, I don't have to worry about him throwing things at me, that's true. However, I do have to deal with the groping and he occasionally talks in his sleep...or what I assume is talking." She made a face. "I certainly hope it's talking. I also have to put up with the overall opinion that everyone in this lovely group of royals has formed about me. We can trade partners, if you wish. Although I'm sure Sonya would rather be the one making the trade." Oops...well, he could take that in a number of ways.

"As far as the Rite's wounds go..."She moved on as if she hadn't said it. Considering how the conversation had been going, she hoped he would just take it as another jab at him. Then again, there was always the possibility that he might surprise her and take it as an offer. That would make things twice as interesting. He wasn't half bad when he smiled, she found, and perhaps not entirely hopeless as a Dradican. He was related to Cin after all. Some of his brother's finesse must have rubbed off on him just a little bit. She cleared her throat to pull her mind away from those thoughts. "...I don't recall seeing them like that when we were in the mushroom so I'm assuming it happened either during the fighting or sometime that night."

~*~ That girl is poison ~*~xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rich Businessman

ImPeRfEcTiOn is в є α υ т у,
        xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxⓂⒶⒹⓃⒺⓈⓈ is gєníus,
        xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxand it is better to be absolutely ɾïḋïсυløυṡ than absolutely ๒◊ЯⅰиG.

User Image

Appropriately silent for the rest of the exchange, Jean-Baptiste could not wait for the meeting to conclude. When Kora stood, so did he, and he instantly beckoned for her attention, putting his hand on her shoulder and leading her out of the tent and back into the cold, which seemed to him as having grown even harsher than before.

Despite his weighted mind and all the trouble, the prince couldn’t help but leave Chandar with a hiss of “You. Are. Stupid!” on the way out.

“We need to talk,” He said to Kora, disregarding any pleasantries. “I don’t care where,” He added, and he meant it, even though he was busy digging his hands into the warmth of his coat. It appeared that all of the accusations put him in a bit of a crisis. Jean could tell that Kora was troubled as well, but not nearly as shaken as he was. It wasn’t for the reasons that she’d think. There wasn't a nerve in his body that made him want to run away at that moment, in stark contrast of the cowardly child he was in Dradecus.

When it became too much for him to bear, he just blurted out what was on his mind during nearly the whole meeting. “I don’t think they were lying, Kora. I think the monarchs were telling the truth about my father.” The Zuleidan, despite the implications of what he was insinuating, did not seem utterly devastated. He spoke of things as if they were conspiracy theories, like a detective finding a sought after lead.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx《The Trickster Prince》User Image

Witty Gekko

User Image
x x x x x x x x x K o r a x Z h a d d a g h

Kora had taken a step away from her seat when she took notice of Jean trying to get her attention. She said nothing as he lead her out of the tent, although it did not take a lot of insight to know that something was amiss. In fact, to say so would probably be considered a massive understatement. What wasn’t amiss at that point in time? The chill wind bit her exposed cheeks as soon as they stepped outside. She tried to pull the folds of her coat tighter around her form in an attempt to trap what body heat that remained. Her breath escaped in a frosty cloud that trailed as she turned to take a quick look all around them. Jean wasted no time as he affirmed what she already knew when he said that they needed to talk. With what had been brought to light about their respective families... she wasn’t surprised.

“Alright,” she said, as she walked away from the main tent until they were out of earshot of anyone left behind. It would be the best they could do in terms of privacy, given the situation. Being away from the others, as well as all of the unfamiliar Gradians, Kora felt just a bit less like she needed to escape at top speed. Although she was still tense and overwhelmed by the events of the meeting, she was able to let her guard slip just a little. She could tell that he was shaken, but it seemed different from what she felt. She hadn’t realized just how different until he finally came out with what he had to say. “You believe them?” The statement more than enough to draw a startled breath from the princess.

She opened her mouth to speak, but stopped, her mouth drawing a firm line. Jean wasn’t stupid. He had to know what he was implying. “You’re saying that you believe your father helped lay the seeds for a war...” she said. There was no anger or questioning in her tone; just a dead seriousness meant to reaffirm the gravity of the situation. Kora knew King Laurent. He had been one of the background figures of her childhood. He wasn’t a person that she could associate with the near genocide of the faeries. The cold in the air no longer seemed as present as this point. Although, whether that was because she has grown used to the cold, or her mind was too focused on other things, she couldn’t say. “You have to have a reason for believing that,” she said, willing to to listen to whatever he had to suggest. “And if he really was involved... How would he have kept that secret from the other kingdoms?”

“If what the monarchs said was true... And I’m not saying that it is...” she started, pausing as she tried to sort through her thoughts. Her gaze was unfocused for a moment before she returned it to Jean. Had it been anyone else, she might not have been willing to entertain notion that monarchs weren't lying.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rich Businessman

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxand it is better to be absolutely ɾïḋïсυløυṡ than absolutely ๒◊ЯⅰиG.

User Image

In contrast to Kora’s deathly serious stare, which was riddled with worry, as Kora was just as incapable of hiding her feelings as he was, Jean-Baptiste’s face seemed almost too cheerful. His eyebrows were drawn upward and eyes wide as he spoke quickly and curiously, and he dared to keep a faint smile played across his features. In his mind, he was simply trying to work out the kinks of their situation because they could do absolutely nothing about it – which he could think of – to fix it until they reached their respective kingdoms.

Still, it stung a bit when she said that his father helped ‘lay the seeds for war’, because somehow he felt that he was responsible for the happenings of his lands, thus making the accusations reflect badly on him, even though he knew practically nothing about them. If his beliefs were true, however, it would make them very valid accusations, and he could not deny them.

So, with a deep breath, he explained himself.

“I have plenty reason to believe it. My father went completely bonkers after my mum died. He’s been doing some odd things lately and it all fits. Think about it, Kora, you’ve been in the seaside caves. You could fit an army in there. I’ve gotten lost in those caves a hundred million times. They’ve been blocked off for the better part of a year, with guards posted and everything.”

With a sharp sigh, he brought a hand up to ruffle the hair at the back of his head. “I’ve only ever told Adele about this, but she didn’t believe me. That night, I managed to pass up all of those guards. Rounding the corner, there was another guy, but I must’ve scared the s**t out of him because he punched me square in the forehead and knocked me out cold. But… I could’ve sworn I saw his face before I went down, and I could swear that it was my dad. I woke up in my own bed a few hours later like nothing happened, but I’m not daft, I know that it wasn’t a dream.”

Jean-Baptiste was grinning somehow, like all of the pieces were falling into place with him. It was a contemplative grin, and his index finger was tapping at his chin. “They said that the caves had been closed off because there was a collapse that killed a couple of people and that they were unsafe. I’m willing to bet my throne that that’s where the monarchs were hiding.”

That sort of bet wasn’t usually taken seriously. Kora had seen Jean bet his throne on a card game once. Luckily he’d won that time. By cheating, of course.

“My father is not the same as he was before my mum died. He’s irritable and absent. He calls the maids names and tosses their trays on the floor if he doesn’t like his tea. Sometimes he leaves for a week at a time on short notice and leaves Sir Vanadis to tell me what to do. A guard, to tell me what to do! Why would a King leave the country without his guard? Even though he’s obviously gone mad, I don’t think he’d try to wage war alone…”

His green eyes met hers of amber, and he scrunched his nose at the next part of their conversation - the unpleasant consequences. “If what the monarchs said was true, it means that Zuleidi and Shazgard are trying to incite conflict with Laelie and, dare I say, Dradecus. Salorite is unaligned, apparently, and who knows where Gradius stands in all of this. Bhegin was obviously chopped liver.” The Zuleidan shook his head. “As well as anyone who was living there. Bollocks.”

“With all of that said, I find it hard to believe that the other kingdoms don’t know about this. If the accusations are true, I think that they were only trying to keep this a secret from us.”

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx《The Trickster Prince》User Image

Sierra The Captor's Significant Otter

Proxy Raider

User Image
User Image

“If you’re so worried about what we think of you, why stay with him? We’ve managed not to leave the whore anywhere, presumably you’d fall higher up on the ‘list of people not to forget places’ than she does.” He paused, then gave the dancer a strange look, “I suppose she has a skill that makes her useful, though. Do you have anything like that going for you?”

Reriic chortled at the suggestion that they swap partners; sure that she hadn’t truly meant it. He was a little uncertain if he should have been offended at the notion that trading would be better for Sonya, seeing as the implication was that the elf was some kind of oppressive b*****d. Or something similar, at least. He feigned a frown, enjoying Cat’s banter more than he had expected to, and threw his hands over his chest in a blatantly over-dramatic fashion, “Oh, right in the heart. You wound me, madam, with your implications.”

Actually, that was a curious point: why was he enjoying this? The dancer had just taken a bit of a stab at him and was trying to get him to help with a task he really had no interest in whatsoever. What was he even going to get out of helping the Rite? A bit of thanks and a whole twenty seconds of being the ‘good guy’ before someone lobbed another chunk of ice at him and found themselves missing a limb or two. A genuine frown played across his face and he folded his arms across his chest as the less amused realization that he didn’t appreciate doing something for nothing settled in.

“I’ll fix your Rite if you do something for me,” the elf announced dryly from his seat, humour evaporated. “You get to pick what it is, but I’d better like it.”

Witty Gekko

User Image
x x x x x x x x x K o r a x Z h a d d a g h

Kora’s mind wandered as she listened to Jean. The very caves he alluded to crept back into her memory. She had been in them herself many times, especially when she, Jean, Adele, and Zaara had been younger. Unlike any of the caves in Shazgard, the ones by the sea were always cool and smelled of salt. The network of tunnels was huge. She vaguely remembered something about the caves being blocked off during the last festival, although it hadn’t occurred to her to see it as a red flag. The festival only lasted a few days, and she had forgotten about it without giving it a second thought. She thought of asking him something, but changed her mind when he said that what he was about to tell her he hadn’t told anyone, save Adele. Her eyes widened as he told his story. “I can see why Adele wouldn’t have believed you,” was the first thing she said.

To be perfectly honest, Kora wasn’t sure if she would have believed him herself, had he told her the same story months prior to the strange happenings of their journey. However, after seeing the population of an entire city transformed into bugs, Kora was reasonably more likely to believe such things. That, and she trusted Jean not to lie to her about something as important as this. He was as upbeat as ever; a trait she wished would rub off on her. The more she thought about the situation, the more her insides twisted. Although, she decided that the truth could never be a bad thing. Only more lies would be bad.

A half laugh escaped her at the familiar saying. “Well that isn’t putting much faith into your theory,” she said, her tone amused as she felt herself relax just a bit. Her serious demeanor returned quickly, although it was not as harsh nor as distressing to her nerves as it had been before. She remembered the last time she had been to Zuleidi. The king and her own father had once been very close, although that had changed after the death of the Zuleidian queen. During the last festival, she herself had only seen him for short bouts of time, no longer than a minute or two. It was obvious that the man had changed since the death of his wife, but she was surprised to learn just how much. Some of Jean’s good humor slipped away as he met her eyes, and spoke of the implications.

“It... makes sense... It would be much easier to keep a secret from us than all the kingdoms...” she said after a moment passed, her voice relenting as she allowed the hypothetical situation a little more substance in her mind. “If the other kingdoms knew about the coming conflict, why would they arrange the Unity Pact? Unless...” Chewing on the inside of her cheek as she thought, her blonde eyebrows knit together as she looked towards the expanse of snow beyond the Asaph encampment. When she returned her eyes to Jean, she said, “They were trying to get us out of the way. But why would they keep it from us?” Kora grew aggravated as her list of questions began to pile up. She paused as she laced her fingers behind her neck to take a breath.

Crossing her arms across her torso once again, she continued, “We’ve seen magic Jean... and nothing like the elemental affinities in the six kingdoms. What happened in Dradecus and Laelie was old... and powerful. It was unlike anything I have ever heard of outside of storybooks. Where would any of the kingdoms get that kind of force power?”

“The magic had to have come from somewhere else; somewhere outside the kingdoms. An outside force might be taking advantage of the strife, since all of the kingdoms are at their weakest. If we were sent to Bhegin to be kept out of the way, than none of the kingdoms would have attacked it. I think it would be a safe guess that whoever the magic belongs to is the same person or group that burned Bhegin to the ground.”

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tipsy Poster

۪D۫۰۪a۫۰۪n۫۰۪i۫۰۪k۫۰۪a۫۰ "۪D۫۰۪a۫۰۪n۫۰۪i۫۰" M۫۰۪a۫۰۪r۫۰۪t۫۰۪i۫۰۪z۫۰xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
User Imagexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mischief Makerxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Beware she's schemin'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
she'll make you think you're dreamin' xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
You'll fall in love and you'll be screamin' dreamin'"xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

User Image
                                    Danika wondered if she had frozen to death on the way here and this was some strange alternate dimension. It was really the only explanation for how this scene could possibly be happening. If someone had told her an hour ago that she would be nearly flirting with Reriic of all people, she would have laughed right in their face. Perhaps he was too cold to be cranky. Maybe he was trying to get her to let her guard down enough to use her body heat for warmth...She wouldn't mind that, she decided. He could have easily gotten that from the whore though, so she doubted that that was the case. She supposed she could have shocked him into this silliness. Whatever it was, she wanted to keep it going.

"He keeps my fears at bay at night." She told him in answer to his question. "It's still dark and it's never quite gone but it's better when I have someone holding me. It's bizarre to think that someone could feel safe in Prince Jean's arms but I do all the same." She shrugged, hoping that she sounded convincing. In all honesty, it was just nice to have a warm body beside her most nights. Especially a warm body with very little brains. "I think mayhap it would be different if he tried anything but I'm pretty sure that he is simply taking the same comfort from me as I am from him."

She smiled then despite the elf's mood shift and shrugged once more. "If it were that easy to wound you, I'm fairly certain you would be on your last leg by now, your grace." She teased him back. "I am being gentle to you compared to what others have said both to your face and behind your back." Not just the royal party either. People back home didn't particularly care for the younger prince the majority of the time either.

"As to whether or not I have any "skills" and what I can do for you..." Danika could do many many things for and to the elf, what could Cat do? She supposed that anyone could offer their body but neither she nor her sister, had her sister been breathing, cared or would have cared about the Rite enough to give that...though Danika might be persuaded. No, Reriic would only be mildly interested in that at best. Especially since he already had a whore on retainer no matter how angry she was at him at the moment. She sighed as if this were costing her a great deal to say. "...I know secrets. I don't spy or anything...though I could if you like, no one pays attention to silly stupid me...but I just know things." She sighed again and looked at the ground as if she didn't want to admit this next part. "I hear things. I hear voices in the dark. It's especially bad at night which is why Jean-Baptiste is such a comfort. I know it sounds really crazy and I don't expect you to believe me, no one does, but the things I hear almost always turn out to be true." She bit her lip and looked up at him through the hair that had fallen in front of her eyes. "Then there's always dancing...I'm very light on my feet..." She made the last part into a question as if she was asking him what he wanted of her.

~*~ That girl is poison ~*~xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sierra The Captor's Significant Otter

Proxy Raider

User Image
User Image

An inky eyebrow crept towards his hairline at the concept of someone being nicer to him than everyone else on purpose. The young prince knew that he was in no way the favourite of the people, but had easily turned their callousness away with a noble’s entitlement and generally not giving a damn about what they thought. But that raised the question of why Cat was being nice to him. She certainly had no obligation to him to be kind, except maybe to beg his help for the Rite. That actually made the most sense, as the other options contained such ideas as ‘she just felt like it’ or ‘she didn’t think he was as bad as everyone said’. The handful of people that actually thought that about him did not include the dancer.

Reriic remained silent as the conversation turned to the matter of what he would get out of his assistance. The idea of the partner swap wasn’t brought up again, he noted with a slight frown. He would have been glad to trade Sonya for someone that didn’t want to gouge out his eyes or other important organs while he slept, even if just for a little while. He was horrendously uninterested in secrets until Cat mentioned that she heard voices at night. The elf’s expression froze for a moment as he mentally re-checked what the dancer had said. Review proved that he hadn’t misheard her, and that she was likely insane.

He rubbed the bridge of his nose slowly, trying to fight the headache that he felt rushing up on him.

“So you hear voices,” Reriic’s voice was surprisingly light considering how much he doubted she wasn’t completely bonkers, but his hand had yet to leave his nose, “and you’re not insane. Okay. That will just… take a minute to sink in.”

Slowly his hand fell and he studied her pensive look before heaving an exasperated sigh. She seemed truly worried about what he (or anyone else, probably) would think of her little confession. She was either a brilliant actor or this was legitimate, and he seriously doubted that Cat was a brilliant actor. “Give me an example. Something that I would know of, if you can. Humour me, please.”

If nothing interesting came out of this, he would fall back to the partner switch. Or dancing. He wasn’t entirely sure that keeping the fish’s crazy bedwarmer around longer than necessary would be good for his health… one crazy woman was more than enough.

Dapper Fatcat

𝓢𝓸𝓷𝔂𝓪&𝓚𝓾𝓷𝓪𝓵

The crowd parted for their prince as Kunal made his way out of the tent. He saw Kora and Jean outside, though he hadn’t the mind to pay attention to anything they were doing. He needed to be alone. He was slowly suffocating and solitude was the only cure. The blizzard bit at his face, snow stinging him like a frigid swarm of wasps. The cold was terrifying and beautiful all at the same time, much like it was with fire... Yet two things could not be so different. Where fire danced, snow floated. Where fire destroyed, ice preserved. Both were deadly.

And so many things seemed to be just that these days: treacherous, mysterious, foreign. It weighed heavily on Kunal’s mind, all of it. His sister, Laelie, the dark secrets come to light... How could anyone bear such stress? Gradians. Princes. Royalty. And he was all of these things. His face became very hot, despite the snow. His world became fuzzy, like a dream. Or the edge of a dream. Not quite fantasy, but neither was it real. He saw his fingers choking the life out of Bashirah again, the blankness in her eyes and on her face. A Gradian till the end, she was. Or would have been had he succeeded. Was it the wind stinging his eyes, or something else?

No matter, he thought. It doesn’t matter. Nothing matters anymore.

He was alone now, walking down an abandoned pathway through the tents. But he couldn’t remember where his was. His pulse quickened, and the world became as big and lonely as the volcano itself. What was this pressure in his head? The chilled fire in his lungs?

I am no prince. I am nothing. A monster. Kinkiller. I deserve to die. Die. Die. Die...

Dizziness consumed him and the world went sideways. Something came to bubble up from his stomach. He was on his knees now, but how he got there he couldn’t remember.

I can’t breathe, he thought. I can’t breathe!

[********] Sonya blurted as the demon’s guidance lead her right into Kunal, her heavy boot catching his knee. She stumbled over him, her momentum throwing them both into the snow. Sonya hissed and let out strangled curses as she detached herself from the tangle of limbs beneath her.

“What in the name of the gods are you doing lying about on the ground?!” She rasped, wiping snow from her face and brushing it out of her oversized coat. It never crossed her mind to question how she knew it was Kunal.

The confusion and panic accelerated as his face and body pressed deep in the snow, his already airless lungs constricting tighter. Was this what Bashirah felt all these years? The land was shaking, collapsing, and so was his mind. Or so it felt. In a desperate flail fueled by adrenaline, Kunal bolted to his feet and threw Sonya’s body from his. His eyes took a moment to focus, and he could not hear over the drum beating in his head. But he saw who it was and the strange torrent within began to subside.

“S-Sonya?!” he barked in surprise. For a moment he had no words, thoughts or feelings. It would be her to come trip over him as he lay defenseless in the snow. Embarrassment flooded him mercilessly, and harsh words snapped from his mouth laced with the fear he’d just succumbed to. “You worthless blind dog. Must you always inconvenience me?”

“Fetch me a stick then, my lord, so that I might tap around and find my way. I wouldn’t want to inconvenience all the royalty SITTING ON THE GROUND,” Sonya spat in a mocking tone that increased in volume until she was shouting over the tents for all to hear. With a violent swipe of her coat the whore got to her feet and shook the rest of the snow off, everything feeling twice as cold and bitter than before. All that energy and life and joy from killing her victim had long since flown out the window.

“Is there some sign,” she mused impatiently, gesturing all around herself, “That says I’d like to be thrown around by brooding princes today? Do me a favor and get rid of it. My last inconvenience to you.”

Kunal had dealt with her impudence before and taken it with a grain of salt, but there was something dangerous inside of him tonight, and it was clawing to get out. His body began to shake with a terrible mix of rage and paranoia, and he flew at her as if he was charging into battle. “You stupid, ******** whore,” he screamed, grabbing her savagely by the shoulders. His breath spilled from his lips in hot clouds, and he began to shake her jarringly. “How dare you speak to me like this. How dare you! I am a prince! A prince! The likes of you aren’t even fit to smell my sh--”

His voice broke off sharply, and the spent words echoed mutely off the landscape. His eyes peered at that face of hers - that infuriating, sarcastic face - and he squeezed her arms tighter. Kunal’s body still trembled, and no doubt she could feel it too. But he was far away from that now. Very far away. The tense air hovered around them for a moment. He could not look away from the whispers of a fist on her face, the milky skin turned sour round one of her glassy eyes. He pulled her even closer then, their faces so close she would smell the mint on his breath.

“Who hit you,” he rumbled dangerously.

“Ah,” Sonya whispered, all the breath and fire gone out of her like a beaten dog. “It could’ve been you, just as easily. Is that the only way it would be alright?”

The elf pulled lightly, testing how violently he intended to hold her in place. Her arms hurt, but it was the sort of hold you grew used to as a whore. This man, with all his rage and confusion and misguided pain, was not the worst.

“Tell me,” he rumbled again, his grip unyielding. Kunal had no mind to deal with her silvertongue, and in truth little of his mind remained. An animal fighting for stability, for life. Such was Kunal.

“Let me go,” she answered, fixing her gaze on his face like she could read every expression there. Her lips were drawn in a hard line, fighting for strength. She never asked to be here, to have to deal with any of them. They knew nothing, but she was dirt to them all. Only Jean, that stupid, innocent fish, seemed anything more than hardened royalty.

“Don’t come sweeping into my rescue now that the hands on me were not your own. Unless you’re just jealous that someone got to it first? I’ll be sure to let you all have a go. That’s what I’m here for, isn’t it? That worthless dog. Let out your anger on me so I can be on my way. We have more important matters to attend to.”

“It was that Dradecan brat, wasn’t it? Him. The one you’re always sneaking away to [********]. He did this, I know he did.” Kunal was panting heavily, his spit thickening. He almost receded within then, but something kept him there. “I’ll kill him,” he said flatly. It was almost a whisper. “I’ll kill him.”

He held her still, fingers pressing into her flesh through the heavy Gradian furs. Kunal made no immediate effort to pull away. He looked at her then, truly looked at her. Sonya was beautiful, her features sharp but womanly all at once. In the frosty air her cheeks had flushed, and hot cloudy breath puffed from her full, moist lips. He brought his face a little closer to hers. Her eyes were unseeing, yet they were stunning all the same; colorless as glass, reflective as still water. But for all that nothing stirred when Kunal looked at her.

Kiss her, he told himself. Are you lame, freak? She is beautiful. She is a whore. Kiss. Her.

He drew his lips close to hers, their air mixing and joining into one. She smelled of winter and rosemary. Kunal knew how soft her lips would be, and he knew the idea of her should drive him mad. She was beautiful, so beautiful...

He let her go and backed away.

You are a pathetic excuse of a man. You are nothing. Nothing...

“He’s my prince,” she started to say, but there was a breath on her lips not her own and then Kunal was pulling away, letting her go and leaving her feeling cold and uncertain. Her arms crossed and her fingers circled where he once held her, little shields from further harm. The wind was tossing loose snow around their feet and voices were coming from the tent just beside them, but between them the air was silent and heavy.

“Kunal?” She began again, but she knew his type. There was something dark stirring in him and it was the last thing he wanted to talk about. She shuffled her feet, feeling like the man was strangely exposed in front of her.

“Its honestly nothing,” she said suddenly, and without any sort of warning or prompt her voice had returned to normal, almost light even. She tossed her hair, which had finally fallen from the braid that held it since her time in the warm lake. That felt so far away. “You should get out of the cold. Someone will find you here with a whore and we just can’t have that.”

“I almost killed her, Sonya,” he said, as if he’d never heard her. Even as he said it he wasn’t sure if the words truly made it past his lips. His voice was very weak then, and it quivered. Child-like, innocent, and deeply disturbed. He was raw and wounded with no bandage to hide the damage. “I almost killed her. I almost...”

“Kunal,” she cut in, silencing him. But her voice lacked an edge, instead reaching him with a strange sort of soft sternness, like a mother. “Why don’t we find some place warm and quiet to... to have a cup of tea? Um, away. From here.”

“No,” was all he could say. “No.”

Kunal turned and left, leaving Sonya alone in the snow once more. She touched her cheek, raw and red and ugly, she imagined. With a small sigh, a light exhale that did nothing to show how hard the day had worn her down, the whore started walking again, this time without a destination.

Rich Businessman

User Image

Jean-Baptiste offered Kora a thoughtful smile as he saw her face settle and her eyes grow gentler after she'd seen how he was acting regarding the new-found information regarding their parents. Had their real situation and recent events not rendered them particularly sensitive to some subjects, the prince would have laughed and mocked her for trying to act so refined. After all, she was Kora, the baby of the family, and it was very hard for him to see her as anything other than that. After the previous night, however, she'd proven herself to be much more than just a little girl. He was incredibly glad to see her calm down, even just a little bit.

"Lucky us, eh?" He chuckled softly. "Our parents are seeking war with the other nations, an ancient magic is rapidly destroying our world, and we're the only ones capable of stopping it. We aren't doing such a great job of it either. I'd say our mums and dads are the least of our problems at the moment. We'll see when we get there, I suppose!"

He hadn't noticed it before because he and the Shasta had never spoken in such length before this moment, but Kora had the most soothing voice. Even when her face struggled to keep her emotions in check, her voice was almost always steady and sure. Though her words were daunting, Jean couldn't help but enjoy listening to her. Admittedly, he wasn't sure that he had even paid attention to most of the things she said.

"I'm freezing," He shuddered. "Let's go somewhere else. I know just the place." After patting the younger girl on the shoulder, he set off in the direction of Kunal and Bashirah's nicely furnished tent at the rear of the camp. Unreadable stares followed the two from all sides, but the prince paid no attention to them. He'd never seen the inside of that tent, but saw it from the corner of his eye when they'd first arrived there when the Mahapatras claimed it, which automatically made the royal tent a choice destination. He wasn't disappointed when he looked inside. The amount of pillows and warm-looking blankets was so welcoming that he almost didn't notice a shadowy figure sulking about in the snow somewhere off in the distance.
                                          With a squint of the eyes, it was easy to see just who the figure was.

"Sonya!" He cupped his hands over his mouth and called her name. "SONYA! What are you doing out there? It's freezing! Come inside!"

Assuming the elf would just do whatever she wanted regardless, with some hope that she would appear anyway, Jean-Baptiste entered the warm(er) tent and immediately threw himself onto a pile of soft, silken pillows. "I like talking to you, you know. It's easy. You're nothing like your mum. No offense, but your mother is a horrible, nasty woman." For a moment, he'd hesitated, just in case she was really there and they didn't know it. That's how scared he was of her normally.

"Oy, do you remember the time I let my mum's dogs out during one of our festivals and tore your mum's dress up? I hid inside of the caves for at least twelve hours just to avoid her, but I wish I'd have turned around to see the look on her face when it happened. My father was furious with me."

Anxious Consumer

User Image
Dalena xxxxx Snow

xxxxxxxxxxxxSomething ALWAYS brings me back to ( you )
xxxxxxxIt xn e v e rx takes too long...
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx No matter what I say or do
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxI'll still feel you here, 'til the xxxxxxx I'm
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxn
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxe

When the girl sat herself down, she practically realized herself that, well, she had been more or less ignored in the sorts. It was alright though, as apparent gossip seemed to rush the table- mostly about Jean-Baptiste and his father being involved in Laelie. This was news to the blonde, she had not been expecting as something as... strange as that theory. Sure she didn't like the fishman, but whose to say that his parents were bad people? Dalena did her very best not to assume the worst in people, although for ones like Jean, it was hard not too. For some strange, unknown reason, she felt empathetic towards him, even though she had experienced no such confusion.

So, even with the narrowing support she felt that crumbled beneath, she slowly stood up as many started to filter away. Prince Reriic was gone, probably talking with Sonya, and Chris was still sort of missing. Kora and Jean had left, while the Gradian twins remained. So, she gave a warm, timid smile towards Elya. "I really enjoy your presence, we have to speak sometime soon, okay?" She gently admitted, more than she would ever liked too. It was strange, no other woman had made her actually feel as safe as Elya did. In fact, it was like she was a man, that's how protected she felt. "Sh'amu." She bid the elf a goodbye, before leaving the tent.

A wind hit her, but she didn't feel that cold. Sure, a chill had run down her spine, but she had felt actually... decent. Sure, her coat was much better, but it was in current use by Elya- she did not have the heart to take it from the shorter elf. Her thoughts had seemed to distracted her, to the point where Yuri, the little spirit fox seemed to completely wander off. Perhaps she stayed in the tent, but Dalena's mind was on the female elf, instead of the whereabouts of little confused Yuri. The spirit fox continued to sniff around, until it seemed to take a small liking to Elya, as it just gently nipped at the others boot, hoping to get some more attention.

Meanwhile, Dalena had wandered just a bit away from everyone, as the cold wind hit her again, almost like a slap in the face. The sting immediately washed through her, before she noticed someone sitting near a tree. Someone who looked quite small, with a wild amount of fluffy hair. It was a bit different than what she was so used so in Salorite, where the hair wasn't usually that full and healthy looking. Quietly, she started making her own timid way towards Eston, nervously peeking at him. "E...Excuse me?" She simply mumbled, hoping that it would get his attention.

"May I touch your hair?"

IT NEVER TAKES TOO LONG xxxxxxxxx it never takes too long

Citizen

User ImageUser Image

He couldn't tell if time was moving quickly or slowly out here. Were the minutes passing like seconds or hours right now? Impossible to tell at the moment. The fire he held in, well technically just above, his hand still burned brightly. Full of life, light and warmth that he questioned if he still had presently. The feeling of controlling it, it's warmth flowing from his hand, to his arm and then to the rest of him. He had missed it, as much as he didn't want to admit. Situations had changed though, and reacquainting himself with control fire would be something that would likely prove useful.

It was hard to keep hope, hope that the people inside were still alive, up in a situation such as this, as much as he tried to tell himself to keep holding onto that small idea. His desire to learn what had happened, or was happening, still burned strongly. As good as guesses and deductions were, they could not replace knowing the truth. And as pointless as it was to dwell on his feelings on the matter, he kept finding his thoughts returning to them no matter how hard he tried not to.

His mind focused on his inner thoughts, eyes focused on his fire, he hadn't noticed someone else approaching until Theia's head perked up at the sound of another's voice. A meek girl of long blonde hair, with a soft quiet voice that fit her appearance. Deeming the woman a non-threat, Theia returned to her nap. Her question had caught Eston off-guard though, not being any sort of hello or anything but asking if she could touch his hair. Something completely out of no where that made little sense to him. After a moment or two he realized he had been staring at the woman trying to understand 'why?' Uh, Sure?" He said, still trying to figure out why exactly a random lady would want to touch his hair. It didn't take long for his curiosity to reach breaking point, following up his previous response with a question of his own. "But why?" His eyes briefly flicked back to check on the fire, to make sure he hadn't accidentally set his very-flammable shirt sleeve on fire, before returning to look at the girl.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Anxious Consumer

User Image
Dalena xxxxx Snow

xxxxxxxxxxxxSomething ALWAYS brings me back to ( you )
xxxxxxxIt xn e v e rx takes too long...
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx No matter what I say or do
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxI'll still feel you here, 'til the xxxxxxx I'm
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxn
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxe

Relief washed over the young Salorite's face, but then another set of worry replaced the calmer emotion. Did he think she was suddenly very strange for asking such a question? She had meant no harm, her intial idea was to help the man, it was like he was under siege by his own hair. If she could easily braid it back and tie it off, it'd probably help him out a lot more. Well, why did she have to go about it so awkwardly? She had not meant for her statement to come out so... strangely. Immediately, she tried to justify herself, her hands waving briskly in the air as her face tinged a pink. "W-Well your hair looks as if it'd be a bother, it's so long!" She exclaimed, trying to keep her voice from going high and squeaky. "I was wondering if I could... braid it for you." As she spoke, she stopped waving her hands, instead she crossed her arms in front of her chest.

Perhaps she had come off way too strong- perhaps that Dalena had made the young man uncomfortable. But then again, did he not appear in Laelie- in the mushroom home? Before the huge collapse? He himself just felt so familiar, she was confused as to why she did not know his name. "I'm sorry to have been so rude- my name is Dalena Snow, the Rite of Faith from Salorite. Were you not the young man who joined us during the trials of Laelie?" She gave the seemingly tiny male as a friendly smile, before she took a seat next to him, and near their fire. She blinked at his dog, before she offered the animal a chance to sniff her hand. Hopefully the dog would understand she was no threat, and that she meant no harm. She took another look at him, before pulling her gloves off and offering them to him.

"Are you cold?"

Dapper Fatcat

User Image
The excitement that boiled up from her stomach and churned in her veins made Vera’s limbs jitter with anticipation, giving her a sort of nervous, clumsy look. Her overabundance of energy found no release, however, as the storm ripped free of the sea and poured sheets of heavy rain over the port village. Vicious, howling winds threw small objects down the empty streets and overturned abandoned carts. Vera could do nothing but sit pressed against the chilled windows of her new mansion home, staring out in wonder until the crack of unfamiliar thunder and lightning scared her off.

But Orin wouldn’t let her arrival be completely soiled. Taking her by the hand- a gesture which made her blush deeply and snap to his attention- the traveler gave Vera a tour of the house instead of the town. The place rose up on stone pillars and granite-lined walls with spiral staircases winding three stories high. Paintings of far-away places and embroidered rugs and delicate pottery paved the way to every room, of which there were many, but only one they entered.

It was her room, Orin said, and she could do with it what she pleased. Vera barely heard him. Her eyes flew around the purple and gold trim, the black stained wood, the décor of royalty. Spread out over the king-sized bed was a dress to match, a gilded thing meant for ballrooms, not a Dradecan peasant. But it was hers to keep, she was assured, and maids were brought in to help dress her. Vera asked to be allowed to bathe, first, but what she wanted was some time to cry in privacy.

They ended the night with a glorious dinner, one with more food than her family would see in a month’s time. Watching how proper he was, Vera felt unfit to eat beside him. Orin promised then that he was going to turn her into a princess, fit to marry any man she wanted. He excused himself for the night, saying he had work to do, but he would call for her again in the morning. The maids were still there, waiting at the shadowy corners of the rooms. When Vera moved to explore the house alone, they came to her and guided her back to the room instead.

Vera woke in the middle of the night to the storm still raging outside. Trembling and eyes wide, she thought she’d heard a scream. She threw aside the covers and ran to the door, but the maids were there waiting, still and silent like stone sentries.

It was only the wind, they assured her, and they pushed her back inside.

User Image

Blind navigation was an acquired skill, and one that didn’t come easily. Sonya’s eyes were only half open, forgotten now as she listened intently to all that was going on around her, painting a fuzzy picture. The smell of horses came from her left, the voice of a man- deep and older, a leader of some sort from the command he spoke- to her right. The snow was trampled down in front of her, so that was a path, and-

“Sonya!”

The elf’s head snapped up as the voice cut in, suddenly painting her picture more vividly. He was a yard away or so, obviously going into one of the tents from his suggestion. She shook her head slowly, a small sigh of laughter escaping the hard line of her lips. Everyone else was brooding and growing bitter as the frost around them, but not Jean. Get warm, get comfortable, and relax before the hard events that were sure to come—the best idea she’d heard all day. That prince was a wise man disguised as a fool.

Warm scents drifted on the air as Sonya made her way to the tent and slipped through, raising an eyebrow at the voices within. So they weren’t alone. Maybe he wasn’t going to make another pass at her, or maybe he had even more fun in mind.

“I charge double for a partner, you know,”
Sonya said luridly, grinning as she gestured to the other person in the room. She stood just at the entrance, not wanting to fumble around for a seat with all eyes on her. “I’ll have your crown by the end of this journey.”

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff