Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interest check!

+1 0.85 85.0% [ 17 ]
No thanks. 0.15 15.0% [ 3 ]
Total Votes:[ 20 ]
1 2 3 >

User Image

xxxxxCreated by: Nicole Laurin
xxxxxxxxxInspiration: Various movies and a need for a good old fashioned medieval fantasy
xxxxxxxxxxxxxGenre: Medieval Fantasy
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxGraphics: Pictures gathered from various sources on the web, editing done by yours truly

Open // Accepting // Full // Under Construction

To the OOC!
User Image

Our story takes place on the world of Talis. The world once experienced peace, of a kind, but that piece is slowly shattering, breaking apart as time wears on. Tensions are rising and it is rumoured that if the kings and queens do not come to some agreement there will be no safe haven left. The four kingdoms of Talis are separated by the four base elements, one for each kingdom. The kingdoms have, in the past, worked in harmony despite their differences, creating a world free of war, famine and illness. Trade passed between the kingdoms and life had been prosperous. However, as with all great tales, life cannot remain in such bliss forever. An evil long forgotten began to creep back into the world and for some time now it has been festering in the hearts of the people, causing doubt and fear to sink in. Crime has grown more frequent, but more frightening is the threat that hangs over the heads of all the people of Talis, one far greater than war.

An ancient darkness, once forced back to the depths from which it was born, has crept into the world once more. The powers that kept it at bay have diminished or been lost and whispers of a terrifying shadow are spreading like wildfire. Rumours have sprouted amongst the people of a cruel being cloaked in darkness that comes in the night. It is said this creature will show no mercy. It leaves death and destruction in its wake. It has also been rumoured that beasts from the depths of nightmares have arisen to fight alongside this creature. The people have grown complacent and have found themselves ill equipt to handle this growng threat, but other rumours of hope have found root. Whispers of a means to fight this darkness have begun to spread, an ancient weapon long ago abandoned and forgotten.

Accompanying the rumours of this strange evil are rumours of an ancient good; a power so great it forced the evil from the world when the people of Talis were still new to life. With these rumours, the Kings and Queens have finally taken action, promising to find this weapon so that they might protect their people from evil. The problem? With tension between the kingdoms, the kings and queens fight to be the first to find it. Fire, Earth, Water and Air now calmbour for the power to save their world and perhaps to give them an edge in the potential war that is brewing between them.
User Image

Golden Rule here is that I am in charge. I made this role play, I run it, and therefore I make all final decisions. But do not fear, I am always open to suggestions.

ToS. You know them, so follow them.

Respect me, this role play and everyone in it. We all put hard work and effort into our characters and this story trying to have a good time, so don't ruin it by being a douche. I will not tolerate it at all.

Foul Language is acceptable but I ask that you be creative with it and try not to curse every other word. This is not a modern setting, so modern cursing likely won't fit as well. Use those lovely brains of yours and come up with lovely new ways to swear.

Romance is allowed but may not necessarily fit into the role play as a major plot point. There are no "love at first sight" moments allowed. If you feel the need for romance, it better be developing before our eyes. The point of this role play is the struggle and the journey, not the hot dude/chick you want to bang. Speaking of which, I will not allow smut. There is barely room for romance, so having time to do the nasty seems a bit far-fetched. If for some strange, inconceivable reason you feel it is necessary...fade to black. No one wants to read it, Gaia doesn't allow it. End of story.

Violence is encouraged, just try not to go overboard. I do love gore, but sadly there are children lurking about and I don't want to scar their innocent minds (or so I'd like everyone to keep believing).

Profiles are going to be fairly simple. There is a reserve below; please fill it out and send it to me. As for the actual profile, there is no skeleton. In the post below that has coding for the reserve, there will be a list of details I require in your profile. How you put them together is up to you! I love creative freedom, so fly, my doves. I ask that you create a separate thread for your character profile and once your reserve has been approved, send me the link to that thread. If you decide to have multiple characters, you may choose to put them all into one thread, but I will require the link to take me directly to the post in which their profile is (or the first post, if you put their profile into multiple posts). The reason for this? Your reserve becomes the link to your profile, so I want people to be able to click the character's picture and jump straight to that character, not have to scroll past any other characters to get to that particular one. Also, there's not limit on how many characters you can have, but if you are unable to keep up with them all, you will be forced to choose which ones go (or else I will).

Setting is medieval fantasy. No modern weapons or technology. So help me, if someone pulls out an iPhone I will suck out the very essence of their being and leave them little more than an empty husk.

Posting layouts do not have to be uber crazy awesome. All I ask is that you have a character picture (no real people, please) of reasonable size and the name of your character. Pretty up your post however you like, but please don't make it look like someone vomitted graphics everywhere. Keep font size between 10-11 (because my terrible eyes can't see anything smaller and anything bigger just irks me). If you feel like adding in where your character is, who they are with and/or what they are wearing, I would be delighted (a little additional information always helps).

Control of another player's character is strictly forbidden without their express permission. I shouldn't have to list everything that falls under this category; I expect each of you to be intelligent enough to know what is acceptable and what is not.

Activity is necessary, obviously, so please try not to have extended absences. We all have lives, but I don't think it's too much to ask that everyone post at least once every 3 days. Failure to do so will result in a PM which you will have 2 days to respond to. Failure to respond will result in a second PM warning of your imminent expulsion from the role play. Again you will have 2 days to respond. If you do not, I'm afraid your character will be removed. If you are going to be absent, just let me know, then we can arrange to move your character out of the action until you return so as not to tie anybody up. If you haven't posted because you are waiting on someone else, then this won't apply to you, but if everyone follows this rule and posts once every 3 days, we won't run into this issue at all.

Changes are a possibility, somtimes a necessity, but I will always make a note of those changes in the title as well as the role play itself to bring it to everyone's attention. If you choose to ignore that, it is at your own risk.

HAVE FUN! The point of this role play is to have a good time and enjoy what I hope will be a good story made better by the people involved. So let's get to it!
User Image

In the beginning, the people of Talis were a savage and uncivilized race. They warred with one another endlessly and their cruelty knew no bounds. Slowly, the people were destroying themselves. It was because of this that an evil so great was born, feeding off the pain and torment of the people of Talis, growing stronger and more malevolent with each day until at last it was able to take a tangible form and begin wreaking its chaos on the world. But the universe is bound by the laws of balance, and where there is evil, there will be a good to counter it.

From the heavens above a great light descended upon the earth, so bright and fierce that it forced the darkness back. The light spread far and wide over all the lands, banishing the creatures that wished for nothing but destruction until naught but the people and beasts of Talis remained. The light, as I’m sure you can imagine, grabbed the attention of the primitive people and they were drawn to it. When they came upon this source their eyes were met by the most beautiful of beings. It was a being no words could describe. And from this being words were spoken that would shape the world forever more. It spoke of a peace that would come if the people did as it said. From the crowd it picked four with the most potential, the strongest and evidently smartest of the crowd. To each he – or it, for one could hardly discern a particular gender from this ethereal being – bestowed a golden locket, inscribed on the front with an emblem. Each locket bore a different emblem and the being explained they represented the four elements that governed the universe and thus, all life. He bestowed upon the people of Talis the gift of knowledge and civility and instructed them to build the four kingdoms around the elements. The people, now able to understand their great fortune, promised to uphold this being’s kindness and to create a society for which they could be proud. They promised to build for the future.

Before parting, the being took aside the four people who were to lead the others and spoke of a greater gift yet. You see, within the hearts of all men lay the potential for darkness and the will to be corrupted. It was against this that the being warned the rulers. If they allowed themselves to fall into darkness again their worst enemy would return. But it bid them not to fear, for it left them with a weapon to fight against this darkness; magic. Magic had been within the world all along, but this celestial saviour brought to them the knowledge and ability to wield it. It spoke of another weapon yet, a greater weapon that could fight against the darkness, should it ever return. It was this that the being made them swear to guard with their lives. If this weapon fell into enemy hands the world would be forever lost. And with that it departed, taking its light but leaving behind the hope for Talis’ people.

They prospered for many years after, but mankind is foolish and with the peace that came after their salvation the people became too comfortable. They allowed all that had once been taught to eventually descend into myth and legend before it was all but lost. Now the darkness has returned, as their saviour had warned, and their knowledge of the weapon is all but forgotten.
User Image

The four kingdoms are ruled over by the four elements. Each kingdom was granted the ability to bend that element to their will. It was this gift that helped the people of Talis shape their world and their future. However, as the years grew on, the people soon grew comfortable and the fear that had driven them in their early stages had faded to nothing but a faint memory. Years became decades. Decades became centuries. As time wore on the people lost their skills with the elements, fading until so few were born with the gift. Those of the royal families were always bestowed with the gift but the people of Talis, as a whole, became nothing more then people once more. The magic that had coursed through the land dwindled and began to die. At first the people did not worry, but as darkness crept into the world once more they felt the fear of old deep in their hearts and they remembered. But time had not been kind and they no longer possessed the means to fight back. Only the four families still possessed the power, but it had weakened over time. Now they have but one hope, to find a weapon they have forgotten to fight an enemy they did not think existed.
User Image

User Image

User Image

Fiero
                The Kingdom of Fiero is ruled by the element of fire. It's capitol city is Ibarak, found in the center of the kingdom. Their land is in the southern region of the continent on which the kingdoms reside. Fiero is bordered on the West by Draekon Peak, which blocks any view of the deadly Fehlen Desert beyond. To the East lies Braere, their border covered by the Egoroth Mountains. In the northern region of the kingdom lies part of the Thurin Forest, which hides the great Sumali River. Beyond the river is the kingdom of Balosa. To the South lies the Brachian Sea, vast beyond imagining. Despite their ruling element, the people of Fiero enjoy a rather vegetated habitat. Wildlife and plant life are in abundance, though as you near Draekon Peak, both become rather sparse. The people of this kingdom are passionate and artful, though they are also know to be rather agressive and hot headed. Their greatest skills lie in music and art. They are well-known for their elaborate and intricate dances. They have, in their rather creative manner, cultivated a particular style of fighting that is fierce and aggressive yet somehow remains majestic and entrancing, much like the element they represent.

User Image

Braere
                The kingdom of Braere is ruled by the element of earth. The capitol city is Cairnveldt, which can be found to the southern portion of the kingdom, nestled in a forest not quite as thick as Thurin. It lies on the South Eastern portion of the continent. On the Western border of Braere lie the Egoroth Mountains, settled on their side of the border with Fiero. To the North lies the great Sumali River and beyond that the kingdom of Maerda. On their Eastern border, the people of Braere can look out on the great expanse of the Brachian Sea. This kingdom is known best for its architecture. Naturally, the people of Braere have a great fondness for earth and thus they are generally well versed in the ways in which best to use it to make the strongest buildings. They also tend to produce the best physicians, for they have a great knowledge of herbology and know which plants will make the most effective remedies. The food from Terra is some of the finest and many will travel from the other kingdoms to taste the wares they offer. The people of Braere tend to be kind but curt. They tend to speak their mind on any matter and are well known for being quite immovable in their opinions, whatever those may be. They tend to be swift in their decisions and not easy to budge once they have made up their minds, for better or worse.

User Image

Maerda
                The kingdom of Maerda is ruled by the element of water. The capitol city is Ilane. Maerda is on the North Eastern part of the continent. It is bordered mostly by water, sharing only it's Western border with land; the kingdom of Balosa. To the North and East is the Aneisian Sea and to the south is the great Sumali River. The city of Ilane is on the Shali Lake, giving the royal family a wonderful place to practice their magic. The people of Maerda are well known as the greatest sailors and ship builders ever seen. They, like the Braerens, also produce great healers, though their knowledge of herbal remedies is not quite as extensive as that of the Braerens. They are, generally, a very calm people, often going with the flow of those around them. They can, however, be as boisterous as any, changing as swiftly as the seas.

User Image

Balosa
                The kingdom of Balosa is ruled by the element of air. The capitol city is Dashamaa, which resides in the impressive Hellios Mountains, near the southern edge of the mountain range. It lies to the North of the continent, sharing a border with Maerda to the East and the Kraekos Wastelands to the West. Their Southern border is found at the great Sumali River. Close to the Hellios Mountains and the capitol city, one can find the Northern portion of the Thurin forest, so vast that it stretches from one side of Balosa to the other, cutting off much of their access to the great river. Some parts of the forest are more passable than others, but most people avoid it altogether. The people of Balosa are well known as the most religious folk. They were the ones who originally wrote the texts about the Saviour and the laws that they should all obey based on his teachings. There are a great many temples, built ages ago by their ancestors, in which to worship the Saviour. While little of the ancient knowledge has survived the years, they still teach others to live by his ways, even if the truth of the past is all but lost. They are also known for producing some of the greatest writers. Historians are generally from this kingdom. Scholars and others who might thirst for knowledge will find themselves drawn to this Northern kingdom, if they do not already live there. It is for this reason that the greatest and largest libraries also reside within Balosa – though they are not the only libraries in the world. The Balosans are the ones who proclaimed that all peoples, no matter their station in life, should be educated enough to read and write. Thus they set out to create schools in which all children must be enrolled from the age of five until ten so that they may learn their letters and numbers and thus learn to read and write. The Balosans tend to be a calm and devout people, sticking firmly to their faith. They are logical and spiritual, a perfect harmony of the two.

User Image

Thurin Forest
                An ancient growth of trees so large and full of mystery and myth that none dare to enter it. Even the greatest of hunters claim that the beasts that live within are unnatural and they refuse to hunt there (in fact it is illegal to hunt within the forest, for fear of angering some ancient god's wrath). It has long been considered sacred. Legends say that the forest was the place their saviour came to them. It is said that deep within this forest, protected by magics unknown, there is a temple where all of the elements are worshiped and revered as sacred. The temple is said to be built upon the very ground the being descended to, and it is considered the holiest place in all of Talis. It is the birthplace of civilization. However, these are but rumours, whispered more secretly and with more discretion then one might speak of the evil that now threatens them. None who now live know the way to this holy place, if it even exists, for the paths once said to exist have long since grown over, no trace of them remaining, leaving the people of Talis to believe the place never truly existed. Still, it remains in the minds of all that are good, a beacon of hope in dark times. The forest itself seems ominous, perhaps because of its sheer size. It resides in the center of the known world, a single continent on which the people of the four kingdoms live. It is almost a living beast all it's own, looming over the kingdoms.

User Image

Kraekos Wastelands
                The Kraekos Wastlands lie on the Western part of the continent, sharing it's Eastern border with Balosa. The wastelands are a place where no living thing can survive. Plants, if there are any, are little more than shriveled husks. The bones of dead beasts litter the ground and the sky seems eternally darkened. If the sharps rocks jutting out at vicious angles were not enough to deter one from entering, the ominous feeling of death is sure to turn them away. There is a heavy fog that hangs about the wastelands, so thick one can hardly see a few feet in front of themselves, making this land ever more deadly. The Kraekos Wastelands have been inhospitable for as long as the people of Tallis can remember.

User Image

Droedun Volcano
                Found at the center of the Kraekos Wastelands, the Droedun Volcano, now seemingly dormant, is thought to be the cause of the destruction of that land. Many centuries ago, long beyond the reach of mankind's short memory, the volcano became unstable and errupted, destroying everything in it's path. It is thought to have wiped out the indigenous people to that land when it errupted, but no one can be sure. The land never truly recovered from the erruption, an oddity the people have chosen to ignore.

User Image

Barabhor Castle
                There is little known about the castle nestled in the far reaches of the wastelands. It is rumoured to be the fortress of the former residents, before the great explosion of the volcano destroyed everything. The castle survived only because it was a fortress, hidden far enough away to avoid the destruction, though the people that once resided there were not so fortunate.

User Image

Fehlen Desert
                The vast desert on the Southeast portion of the continent is known as the Fehlen Desert. Like the Kraekos Wastelands, little is known about the desert. It is rumoured to once have been a verdent land from which dragons ruled over Talis. However, the beasts destroyed themselves along with their seat of power, leaving nothing but a desert behind and supposedly old bones strewn about. None who have ventured into the deserts have returned, though whether it was their treacherous trek over the mountains of Draekon Peak or the scalding, dry heat of the desert itself is merely a matter of speculation. Like the wastelands, none now venture into it, knowing that death is all you will meet.

User Image

Draekon Peak
                This enormous mountain range creates the border between the Fehlen Desert and Fiero. The peak itself is said to be so high that it touches the heavens and if one were to climb, they would never reach the top for air does not reach that high. It is rumoured to be the seat of power from which the ancient dragons ruled, but no one has ever been able to confirm or deny these suspicions for no one has ever returned from their journey. Draekon Peak boasts one massive mountain, with a huge range of smaller yet still impressive mountains, effectively creating a wall that cuts off access to the desert. The sheer cliffs around this particular land have made access to it from the sea completely impossible.

User Image

Egoroth Mountains
                The Egoroth Mountains are a mountain range found within the kingdom of Braere, bordering on the kingdom of Fiero. While not as large as the mountains found in Balosa and the Fehlen Desert, this mountain range is impressive in its own right. The mountains appear almost man made, twisting up in a spiralling pattern as if some large hand had shaped them from clay. They are as dangerous as any mountain range, but they are by far the most traversable mountains in all the known world. Many paths can be found throughout the mountains, but it is dangerous to wander them without a guide. The paths are like a labyrinth and one can find themselves easily lost within if not careful.

User Image

Hellios Mountains
                This mountain range can be found in the center of Balosa and is almost as large and impressive as Draekon Peak. The mountains can be treacherous to those who do not know the hidden paths, but the people of Balosa have spent their lives traversing these mountains. They loved them so much that they built their great city among them, making it a nigh impenetrable fortress.

User Image

The Great Library Of Dashamaa
                This library is notable simply becase it houses the largest repository of knowledge and history. Found in the Balosan capitol city of Dashamaa, the great library is a place of learning, where all are welcome to come and explore its vast halls and endless shelves of books. It is a place of peace where many come and could spend a lifetime still never touching every book within.
User Image

So this should be fairly straight forward. Fill this out, add in the appropriately sized picture of your character, and send it to me. Once I approve you, go ahead with your profile (if you haven't already) and then send me the link for that. As stated in the rules, profiles MUST be created in a new thread, not some old testing thread you made to ensure your posts look the way you want them to.

The list of necessary profile items to cover will be below the reserve skeleton.

User Image
                Name:
                Kingdom:
                Profession: (Whatever your character does for a living.)

This does not mean your character is necessarily okay'd. This simply means you have a place in the role play. I still need to approve all profiles before you are allowed to post. Your profiles do not have to be laid out in this exact order, I know mine won't!

What You Will Need In Your Profile:
                      ► Name
                      ► Age
                      ► Gender
                      ► Picture (no real people, thanks)
                      ► Kingdom
                      ► Profession
                      ► Personality (this does not have to be long nor detailed, I just want an idea. I'm aware this will likely develope throughout the role play, I just want an understanding of what they are like, more or less)
                      ► Biography (again this does not have to be overly detailed. I don't have a minimum requirement, I just ask that you not leave it blank and/or put "unknown"...you will be shunned for all eternity if you do)
                      ► Weapons (you can simply list what they are skilled with, or you can state what they actually carry on them at all times, that's up to you)
                      ► Abilities (keep in mind that beyond the royal family, magic is rare. If too many people put that they have the ability to use magic and are not the royal family, you will be asked to change it. Also, I don't want to see a bunch of royalty just so everyone can have powers. I don't currently have a limit, but I will turn people down for royalty if too many apply for the same thing. This slot can be used for what skills they possess)
                      ► Appearance (I like random additional information about how tall your character is, whether they are fit or not, what colour their hair and eyes are, stuff like that)
                      ► Likes and dislikes (mostly just another way to get an idea of the person they are...the list doesn't have to be huge, just a few things for each)

Alright, that should be everything! If there is anything exra you feel should be in your profile, feel free to add it. These are just the basics that I require.
User Image

Note: All profiles can be viewed by clicking the picture of the character.

Fiero

User Image
                                Name: Emilia Almenara
                                Kingdom: Fiero
                                Profession: Dancer

Braere

User Image
                                Name: Nicolai Leo Sidorov
                                Kingdom: Braere
                                Profession: Braere King

User Image
                                Name: Psyche Dracos