Welcome to Gaia! ::

Questionable Genius

Still under construction, but feel free to post! (Also, I'm moving house/starting a new job/generally adulting right now so I apologise if I'm a little slow to respond.)

So I haven't used this site in a very, very long time. I figured rather than letting all my old gear gather dust I should use it for something, and thus this idea was born!

At some point in the past year or so I seem to have unwittingly sold my soul to BioWare, so I'm looking for art of my characters - specifically, from Mass Effect and Dragon Age. Don't worry, this doesn't mean I'm after lots of complicated armour or aliens, and you don't necessarily have to be familiar with the series (although if you are that's great, feel free to hang out and chat and we can cry about mages and scientists and stuff).

Inflation seems to have happened in a big way since I've been gone so I have no idea what I can afford, but I'm willing to hear any and all offers! Details of what I'm after and what I can give you in return are down below.

(To do: add bio for Shepard, add item list, come up with more ideas, get better caps of Gyda, and game choices and reasoning)

Contents
1. Brief
2. The Warden
3. The Champion
4. The Inquisitor
5. Commander Shepard
6. Payment
7. Fun Stuff

Questionable Genius

The Brief

U/C

What I'm looking for is art of my four main protagonists. Whether as individual, group, some kind of cool triptych/tetraptych... pretty much anything goes. I realise this isn't very specific, but the characters themselves are all quite different so if I have any ideas for them in particular I'll mention them below. I'm definitely looking to work with the artist(s) to come up with something we'll both enjoy. When it comes to art styles I tend to prefer semi-realistic stuff or something quite stylised, but I'll admit to being one of those annoying 'know it when I see it' types so please don't be offended if your style isn't what I'm after - doesn't make it any less awesome!

There are a couple of things I have in mind that apply to all of them:
- I'm not really after anything overly coupley. That's not to say it's completely off the table as it would fit some of the characters, but unless you have an idea in mind that I absolutely cannot resist it's not really the direction I'm planning on heading.
- I would prefer off-duty stuff, but I'm definitely not at all opposed to seeing them in the middle of a scrap (it's not as though any of them are strangers to a black eye and busted lip, after all).
- I really love DA:I's tarot cards, but I can't think of a way to turn that into an actual, sensible commission idea past 'they're so pretty'.
- I am NOT looking for real life commissions.

You don't necessarily have to be familiar with either series, and I'll happily answer any questions either about the stories or the characters specifically.

Questionable Genius

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The Warden-Commander
Gyda Brosca

"This is not fair! Why is it always me that has to bleed?!"

Basic information:
Race: Dwarf
Origin: Commoner
Class: Warrior
Love interest: Alistair
Closest friends: Wynne, Zevran, Shale, Sigrun
Usual party members: Wynne, Alistair, Shale / Anders, Nathaniel

Basic appearance:
Face: Gyda looks young for her age, and definitely plays it to her advantage. Her face is round, with large, round eyes and the snub nose common amongst the dwarva. She's been forced to grow up pretty quickly since then and it shows, but back in Orzammar she could have easily passed for someone much younger. She has the distinctive brand of a casteless, continuing upwards and across her forehead - a reminder to herself and others that even those with the least of beginnings can change the world.
Body type: Even for a dwarf she's a little on the short side, at about 4'5" or 4'6". Her build is hard to judge at first glance as she tends towards heavy armour, but she's on the curvy side with the natural stockiness of her race. As a dual-wielder and a criminal she's quite agile, better suited to 'get in fast, get out fast' skirmishes than endurance, so she's not really built up at all.
Hair: She doesn't have much in common with her older sister Rica, but they do share the same ginger hair. It's kept out of the way in a bun, though it has a tendency to escape when she's fighting (which is really quite often).

Reference album: [x]

Bio/Personality:
Gyda has had to take care of herself from a very young age. With a mother who spent most of her time passed out with an empty bottle and a half-sister busy being trained up to hunt nobles, she spend most of her youth learning how to stay alive in the seediest depths of Dust Town. One might have expected someone in such a situation to grow up quickly, but Gyda never did seem to shake her somewhat childish nature; she had always looked young for her age and had used it to her advantage, but after impersonating a warrior in the Proving Grounds she found out the hard way that the wide-eyed act can only get you so far. She owes her life to Duncan and the Grey Wardens, and is determined to set her life on the right track and prove to the Commander he made right decision. Not that it's easy, of course. Thrown into trying to save the world with no training, losing the people you care about, knowing you may never be able to go home again... she may hide it behind a glib tongue, but most of the time she's terrified. There are people depending on her however, and she has no intention of letting them down this time.

Her determination to turn her life around has not been without its difficulties. Her wish to make sure no child has to grow up the way she did and her refusal to slide back into criminal ways have come into conflict on more than one occasion, and she can only hope the choices she has made are for the better.

For someone who grew up casteless, lower than even the criminal mercenaries surrounding her, Gyda has always been surprisingly naïve. She's quick to trust; while this proved to backfire on her in Orzammar she doesn't seem to have learnt - in any case, she has no real choice in the matter. Her trust in her companions seems to have been rewarded in this case, and the friendship and wisdom she has received in return means everything to her.

With a talent for making any situation worse, she of course had the misfortune of falling in love. Perhaps it was the bedtime stories Rica used to tell her of romance and valour, or simply the bond forged in fire of two young people thrown into a fight they couldn't hope to be ready for - she fell hard and fast and dangerously deep. She's the sort who loves as fiercely as she fights, and if that means breaking every law of magic and the gods to keep them together... well, that's exactly what she'll do.

She may still be a child at heart, but she's one who knows what she values and will do everything in her power to protect it. Quick to lend a hand or give a second chance, she's grown into a powerful woman who will fight against injustice with a smile and a pair of sharp blades.

Ideas:
- A 'ten years later' kind of thing, how she's doing Inquisition-era
- At camp
- Post-Inquisition, the Calling as good as dealt with, reunited with Alistair and finally able to relax - I mean really any kind of overly saccharine couple stuff will make me happy
- Causing mischief back in Orzammar
- The first time she met Hawke

Questionable Genius

The Champion of Kirkwall
Constance Hawke

"Don't worry. Helping people and killing people are what I'm best at."

Basic information:
Love interest: Merrill
Closest friends: Varric, Isabela, Dog
Usual party members: Fenris, Isabela

Basic appearance:
Face: Hawke likes to joke that her siblings got all the looks, whilst she got the wit, charm, combat skill, and basically everything else. Her face is round, with a small, flat nose and deep-set eyes. Her mouth is small but full, and she has a slight underbite. Though she's not much for makeup she does have a soft spot for dark stained lips, and her facial tattoos make her stand out in any crowd where she hasn't already drawn attention to herself with a poorly timed pithy comment.
Body type: Hawke is tall - probably a good 5'10" or 5'11" - and broad shouldered. As you might expect from someone who's spend the best part of a decade and a half hefting a warhammer around she's well-built, though more on the stocky side than being well-defined.
Hair: Hawke's hair is black, and that's probably about all she could tell you about it. She's much more about practicality than looks so it's usually pulled back in a short ponytail; let down it would probably hit her jaw, but wouldn't be much longer. By the time of Inquisition she's let it grow out a little (mostly Merrill's doing, but Hawke has to admit it's fun to let someone else braid it), so now it's around shoulder length.

(And you can see what a terrible job I did reconstructing her in DAI haha)

Bio/Personality:
Selfish might not be quite the word, but Hawke is most definitely in it for herself. Her flippant nature and quick wit mask what is a surprisingly ruthless streak; if you play fair by her she'll play fair by you, but if you even think about double-crossing her you had better start running. Sure, she'll get involved in your petty squabbles if you chuck her some gold and she gets to hit something, but don't mistake that for her giving a crap about your business. She'd much rather be in The Hanged Man, starting a brawl or fleecing anyone who dares play Wicked Grace with her. That being said, touch any of her family or friends and she will hunt you down.

Since childhood, Hawke has always held a great deal of admiration bordering on hero-worship for the Grey Wardens (seriously, even her mabari is named Warden). If you asked her why she'd probably give you some vague, droll comment about all the monster-killing and drinking (and possibly that fabled stamina, accompanied by an exaggerated wink), but honestly? These are people who have sworn to do that which she never could - to selflessly fight for a cause they believe in by any means necessary, even if that means sacrificing their lives. They saved all of Ferelden from the Blight that destroyed her home. They provided salvation for her sister in their hour of need. They got her mixed up in a nightmarish blood magic conspiracy (okay, so maybe that wasn't one of their finer moments). Had you told her back then that she would count an ex-Warden runaway and the Hero of Ferelden's lover amongst her closest friends, she'd probably have laughed in your face. She'll also change the subject very quickly if Bethany ever brings up just how much ale it took her to even be able to speak when she finally met the fabled Warden-Commander.

Hawke wouldn't consider herself 'pro mage rights' so much as 'anti persecuting-half-the-city-for-no-good-reason-just-in-case'. If you're going to judge someone for being a danger to society and/or a complete arse she firmly believes you should do it on an individual basis, rather than dragging in everyone who maybe saw somebody use magic that one time. This does not exactly please Meredith, but as she very clearly fits into both categories Hawke doesn't really care what she thinks. And if a large, somewhat explosive message needs sending... well, so be it.

There are only a couple of rules to follow when it comes to befriending Hawke: don't duck out when it's your round, don't be a sore loser, and don't ever call her Constance. If you're family you can get away with Connie, and Varric and Isabela might be able to get away with it if she's in a good mood, but otherwise it's the fastest way to get on her bad side. Merrill did try it once, but after rolling it around her mouth a few times she decided it 'didn't fit' and Hawke suited her much better and I've always thought Fereldan names sounded a bit strange anyway, all those big, round, heavy sounds and sharp corners, you know?

Ideas:
- In the Hanged Man, kicking a** and taking names
- Merrill braiding her hair (or trying to)
- Playing with the dog
- Post-DA2, on the run from Kirkwall
- That one time she got way too drunk in front of the Hero of Ferelden

Questionable Genius

The Inquisitor
Basirath Adaar

"I'm a Qunari standing for Thedas. The Inquisition is for all."

Basic information
Race: Qunari
Love interest: The Iron Bull
Closest friends: Dorian, Sera, Josephine
Usual party members: The Iron Bull, Dorian, Cole, Sera
Age: 27 (the only one I don't have to work around existing canon!)

Basic appearance:
Face: Perhaps her most distinctive feature is her nose; it is wide and aquiline, and has clearly been broken several times. Her eyes are almond shaped and deep set, with a prominent brow and high cheekbones. She has a wide mouth with quite full lips and very little by way of a cupid's bow.
Body type: As a Qunari she's obviously very tall (about 6'10" or so); given that most weapons she can get her hands on are weighted for humans she can wield them with relative ease and so doesn't have the musculature one might expect from someone dragging around a battleaxe.
Hair: Hair is impractical in a fight and very difficult to manage with a pair of horns in the way, so Basirath's solution was simply chopping the lot off. What is left is short and white on top, with the back left longer; she has been known to braid this on occasion. The horns themselves are curled and bound in metal for maximum 'we are a terrifying mercenary company' effect, which is thankfully still impressive in her accidental new line of work.

Bio/Personality:
Honestly, Bas isn't quite sure how the hell she ended up here. Born to a warrior mother who chose to live as Tal-Vashoth rather than disrespect her friends by pretending to be aqun-athlok and an ex-mercenary father, she grew up with fighting in her blood. She was always a curious child, spending her days exploring the woods and her evenings devouring the few books they managed to pick up from travelling merchants. Her childhood was happy, but lonely; the look in the eyes of the parents who found any excuse to shivvy their children away from her convinced her from an early age that avoiding the nearby villages was a much wiser course of action.

Still, there were one or two willing to risk their parents' ire who dared to befriend her. On one occasion the children were parroting the horror stories told to them by their mothers and fathers, of vicious creatures who were not even enough like people to have names; they were simply referred to by their job. Basirath knew very little of Qunlat, but in that moment she knew enough to understand her own name. Bas. Thing. Useless. She returned home to her mother in tears with just one question - why? In the years since, she has never forgotten her mother's response:

'There are those who will call you basra, a thing without purpose simply because you do not follow the Qun. Wear it with honour, child, and they cannot use it to hurt you. Show them what you are worth, that those whom they dismiss as nothing have power and strength and value.'

And so she vowed to do just that. As soon as she was old enough she joined a mercenary company, determined to prove herself. Not constrained by a role in the Qun she had the freedom to take whatever part she wanted, and though a warrior first and foremost it was not uncommon to find her negotiating contracts or studying strange new plants they came across. All things considered her life was going well - and then came the whole 'glowing hole in the sky' incident. Still, it's always been in Bas' nature to make the best of the situation, even if that situation might be pretty far from great. This is her chance to show those in Par Vollen that even a Tal-Vashoth born outside the Qun should not be looked down upon, and the rest of Thedas that the Qunari are not a raced to be feared but one who can stand beside them as equals. It's not an easy task, but if she can close a hole in the sky then is anything really impossible?

Questionable Genius

The Commander
Caitlin Shepard

"I'm going to do exactly what you brought me back to do: I'm going to win this war, and I'll do it without sacrificing the soul of our species."

Basic information:
Class: Soldier
Background: Colonist, Sole Survivor
Love interest: Kaidan
Closest friends: Tali, Joker, Chakwas, Traynor, Mordin
Usual party members: Kaidan, Tali, Wrex / Tali, Thane, Legion, Grunt / EDI, Kaidan, Vega

Basic appearance:
Face: The commander had always had something of a gauntness to her features after her ordeals, but despite the stress of her position she's around people she can breathe with and this has led to a much healthier change and fuller cheeks than she used to have. She still has some spectacular cheekbones though. Her nose is straight and pointed and she has a wide mouth with a very pronounced cupid's bow. She used to have a pronounced scar across her cheek, but Cerberus 'fixed' that - much to her annoyance. Her eyes are large and almond-shaped, the dark eyeliner a part of her 'get ready to face the world' ritual.
Body type: Shepard is a little taller than average (around 5'8" ) and muscular. She's definitely the sort of person to do at least a little exercise every day, even if it's just a quick cardio session. Her training is mostly geared towards endurance, but she does have some pretty impressive upper body strength (as you'd expect from someone who can beat Vega's pull-up record). Her hips are quite wide, but otherwise she's not all that curvy.
Hair: Ever the marine, Shepard is rarely seen in anything other than a military-approved hairstyle; her usual go-to is a French braid finished with a low bun. Because very few people see her with her hair down (the main exceptions being Kaidan and one very awkward incident with Vega in the Normandy's gym) they tend not to realise just how much hair Shepard actually has; when loose it easily passes her waist. She'd have hacked it all off by now, but having to sit and tie it up every day reminds her that she's just a soldier like everybody else and unpinning it again helps her relax after stressful day (not that she'd admit either of those if anyone asked).

Bio to be added

Questionable Genius

Payment

U/C

The important part. I'm happy to pay you in gold or items; I'll put a list of items below, although if there's anything in my inventory you want that isn't listed then let me know! Getting rid of everything is definitely the plan.

I have literally no idea how money works on Gaia any more, so if you have a price in mind please let me know rather than asking for offers; even when I was around regularly I was terrible at pricing art and I really want to be sure you get what you deserve!

If anyone uses Flight Rising I'm also looking to clean everything out there so I can put that towards payment if you like; ask me for details.

Writing: I'm aware I might not have a great deal to spend on what is quite a lot of art, so I'm willing to top it up with some writing. Probably in the form of 1000-1500 word drabbles (not that I'm against writing more; I'd love to, but I tend to work best within those constraints - I'll happily write you a few if you want!), OCs or fandoms I'm familiar with. Samples are below, although they're pretty old at this point. I promise I haven't forgotten how to use words!

[x] - An extract from my attempt at NaNoWriMo several years ago, high fantasy-type stuff.
[x] - Something slightly more recent from a Les Mis modern AU, although it's very Daredevil/Claire Temple.
[x] - A handful of short drabbles, again from a Les Mis AU.

Hey look, some up-to-date samples! I've challenged myself to start writing more, so recent stuff can now be found on my writing tumblr. Most of it will probably feature these characters, so you can get to know them a little better while you're at it!

Current funds:
Gold: ~6.7 billion
Items (can be liquidated): ~150.5 billion
(As of October 1st)

Item list to be added

Questionable Genius

Art Received

Look at this gorgeous art of Bas by Deputy Parrish!

Questionable Genius

Right, going to gather some pictures and then expect full details fairly soon!

Questionable Genius

Some photos and basic info added for you! I'll be adding more angles and stuff in the near future, as well as some pictures of my Inquisitor without vitaar.
Warden pictures are also priority, but my laptop is currently throwing a hissy fit when I try to run Origins. Working on it!
iAMthedancefloor

Hello!
I'd like to do a trade. :3
Your writing for my art~

Here're my samples:
DA
FB page
BioWare also owns my soul..x3

Antivas's Wife

Tiny Astronomer

i am crying so much all of your babies are so gorgeous
bioware has a death grip on my heart, soul, and wallet it's so bad

i have a link to my rl commissions and art blog in my sig
if you want something other than a portrait though just let me know and we can work out prices. i'm pretty flexible when it comes to pricing especially when drawing dragon age and mass effect characters because those two series are my main source of life

for real though i love your children and i just want to draw and sketch them forever

iAMthedancefloor

Questionable Genius

Yuberrific

Sounds great! I'll dig out some samples for you. I have no idea how to value that sort of thing, so let me know what you'd be up for doing based on that and what you'd like writing so we can sort something out!

Haha, it's an issue isn't it? Them and their dumb games and fantastic characters.

Wow, apparently all my samples are ancient. My apologies for that, but hopefully you can still get the idea.

[x] - An extract from my attempt at NaNoWriMo several years ago, high fantasy-type stuff.
[x] - Something slightly more recent from a Les Mis modern AU, although it's very Daredevil/Claire Temple.
[x] - A handful of short drabbles, again from a Les Mis AU.

Questionable Genius

eixo

Aaaaah thank you, I'm very fond of them all.
I was supposed to be saving money too. It was going so well and then Inquisition happened...

I do like your style, but I'm not really in a position to do rlcs right now (I'm also in the broke student boat it's no fun).
If that changes I will absolutely hit you up though!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff