Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Smoker

User Image
Start Date: 31 July, 2014

Deadline: 11:59PM MST 1 November, 2014 (May be extended)

Winners Announced By: 8 November, 2014

Announcements
12 August - Prize pot tripled thanks to the generosity of my sister, Mindless Vandalism!

Quotable Smoker

User Image

1. Have fun! Otherwise, what's the point?!
                                        2. Do not plagiarize. I won't harp on this. Ya'll should know what this means.
                                        3. Be kind to one another in the thread. Unnecessary drama will get you disqualified
                                        and banned.

4. Watch your quote trees. Seriously. They make my eyes bleed.
                                        5. Do not quote the first page.
                                        6. Do not ask if you can enter. Everyone can enter.
                                        7. I don't require WIPs, but I'd love to see them!
                                        8. If you want my attention, quote me or PM me.
                                        9. Please sign your work. Submitted artwork will be collected by me and possibly
                                        posted on other sites. If your art is posted elsewhere, it will be credited to your Gaia
                                        account. I will not claim it as my own.

10. Entries may be PMed to me, but I will post all entries in the thread.

11. You may enter as many times as you want, but you can only win one prize.

Quotable Smoker

User Image

I LIKE . . .

All art styles
                                              Shaded and/or colored art
                                              Portrait, Bust up, Waist up, and Full body art
                                              Minimal backgrounds
                                              To see obvious effort/time

I DISLIKE . . .

Sloppy/Unfinished art
                                              (unless obviously stylistic)
                                              Dark/shadowed digital prints of traditional art
                                              Line art
                                              Sloppy or irrelevant backgrounds
                                              To see no effort/time

I WILL JUDGE BASED ON . . .

Capturing the character
                                              Quality of artwork (neatness/cleanness)
                                              Quality of coloring (if colored)
                                              Don't think gradients are winning you any prizes
                                              Creativity
                                              Personal Bias
                                              I am human. I have certain tastes.

Quotable Smoker

User Image

. . .

Name Saskia
                                              Age Twenty-two
                                              Sex Female
                                              Race Human possessed by a spirit

Physical Description Saskia is thin and muscled but still a little curvy. She has blue
                                              eyes, black and white hair, and tanned skin. Her hair can be any length or style. Go nuts!

Wardrobe She is a warrior, so she will wear anything that she can also fight in. You
                                              can draw the armor she is wearing in the reference pics, or you can draw her in an
                                              original outfit. Please mostly keep the color palette to black, blue, gray, and white. She is
                                              not much of a girly-girl, but she will wear skirts if she can move in them. Saskia's world
                                              is medieval fantasy, so zippers and such are a no go. I am very inspired by outfits such
                                              as those in Xena if you ever watched that show. ... Stop judging me and draw!
                                              ** She always wears a round, blue pendant on a leather cord around her neck. It
                                              belonged to her sister.
                                              *** War/face paint is optional but preferred

Personality Dedicated, stubborn, loyal, fearless, reckless, an adrenalin junkie--she's
                                              never more confident in her self-identity than when she's in a fight.

Powers When she was 16, she was possessed by the spirit of a warrior named Bat
                                              Wyatt. Warriors who have come up against her claim that she is as strong as a bull and
                                              as evasive as a ghost. Saskia is also an expert swordsman.

Brief Bio Saskia grew up poor as the eldest of the two daughters of a single father
                                              farmer. She was always restless on the farm, but she never dreamed of escaping it.
                                              When she was fifteen, she and her ten-year-old sister rode into town to sell some
                                              produce. This was usually done by her father, but he was ill and bedridden. Their wagon
                                              was ambushed on the road by some local thugs, and the sisters were attacked. Saskia
                                              fell off the wagon in the struggle and was knocked unconscious. Thinking her dead because
                                              of all the blood, the thugs left her there. When she awoke, the horses and her sister were
                                              gone. Saskia was able to learn that her sister had been sold to slave traders on the coast,
                                              so that's where she went. She spent months searching for her sister, but with no money and
                                              no connections, she didn't get very far. She had her sixteenth birthday on the streets. She
                                              got her first real lead by accident when she ran across a group of slave traders, but when
                                              she confronted them, they beat her almost to death. That's where Bat found her as if he'd
                                              been pulled there by the hand of God. His soul joined hers inside her body, and she used
                                              his strength to get back up. She spent the next six years training with Bat as her teacher
                                              and searching for her sister. When she isn't running down leads on her sister's location,
                                              she's a sword for hire. She hasn't been poor in a very long time.

Note Yes. There's only one OC. Sorry.

References This is the first time I've ever had anyone else draw her, so I did all these
                                              references myself. On each is a list of things I like and things I don't like. Please pay
                                              attention. Quote or PM me with any questions! Don't be discouraged to enter if your art
                                              style is very different from mine. That's why I'm doing this!

OneTwoThreeFourFiveSixSevenFun Fact

Quotable Smoker

User Image

. . .
                                              Prizes will never decrease. They may increase.
                                              Accepting Art prizes is optional if you don't like my work.

Grand Prize - 4,006,000,000 Gold + Free Fullbody
                                              My absolute favorite entry
                                              Meets all judging criteria

Runner Up - 3,306,000,000 Gold + Free Waist/Bust-Up
                                              Second favorite entry.
                                              Meets all judging criteria

Best Action Entry - 2,606,000,000 Gold + Free Portrait
                                              Saskia in battle

Best Coloring - 2,606,000,000 Gold + Free Portrait
                                              Shaded, neat, and detailed

Best Hairstyle - 2,606,000,000 Gold + Free Portrait
                                              Favorite original hairstyle

Honorable Mention - Free Portrait
                                              Up to 3

Quotable Smoker

User Image

Entry Form

[img]http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u75/GaiaFreakKay/Swordplay/swordplayentryform_zps85a649dc.jpg[/img]
                                        [quote="uraCodfish"][/quote]
                                        [color=indigo][size=11][url=entry image url here]Click me and rejoice![/url]
                                        Comments:[/color][/size]

Entries
                                              Username - Link
                                              Lady Kariel - Link

Quotable Smoker

User Image

. . .
                                              All donations go towards increasing prizes and/or introducing new prizes.
                                              To donate, send me a trade and PM me whether or not you want the donation listed below.

Many thanks to:
                                              Username - Donation
                                              Mindless Vandalism - 10,000,000,000 Gold

Quotable Smoker

User Image

Links In

User Image
                                        [url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/art-contests/swordplay-oc-art-contest-over-5b-uc-dnp/t.93461257/][img]http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u75/GaiaFreakKay/Swordplay/swordplay100x400_zps992348dd.jpg[/img][/url]

User Image
                                        [url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/art-contests/swordplay-oc-art-contest-over-5b-uc-dnp/t.93461257/][img]http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u75/GaiaFreakKay/Swordplay/swordplay40x100_zps842c472d.jpg[/img][/url]

Links Out

User Image

Quotable Smoker

Reserved

Quotable Smoker

Reserved

Quotable Smoker

Reserved

Quotable Smoker

Open!

Quick Reply

Submit