Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Does think God likes irony?
  yes
  no
View Results

scotch0069

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:27 pm
So heres the question that i have been pondering for quite some time now. God is very powerful, and very intellegent do you think He likes to play with time and space for amusment? For example, God used Moses, a slave to become a Leader, (or second in command somewhat) THEN Used him to save his people. Or better yet, Jesus, the savior of all the land, one who could call legions of Angels to his side to smite all the evil in the world, lived as a poor man... Very humble and its understandable, but very ironic... the strongest is seen as the weakest... and the phrase that stands out that kinda supports this idea is that the least will be the greatest, and the greatest will be the least.... If you want to go beyond the bible we could also look at the world today, or even our own lives, how irony seems to be interetwind so intrecitly. SO im wondering, do you have any ironic stories of how God worked with you to deepen your faith? Or do you see how this whole thing of how God likes to use irony makes sense?  
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:21 pm
where does it say that Moses was a slave? He was raised by the princess of all of Egypt, he was raised like a cousin to Pharoe Ramses, as the son of Pharoe. Jesus was a carpenter, not a poor mans trade. moses was born to the slaves, but he wasnt a slave, Jesus was born in what would look a poor situation, but He wasnt poor. Yes God uses irony, but it isnt for His own ammusement, thats why we worship Him that is what gives Him joy. The Lord uses irony to teach us.  

promised_child

Elenielle

Shameless Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:34 pm
I'm sure He does...but that might just be my perception of His character. I've come to believe that He has a sense of humour...cause I get set up all the time and irony slaps me in the face. Sometimes I think He does it just to show me who really is in control. And everytime I figure it out I can just see Him sitting up there with all His angels having quite a good laugh at what I've done.

I dunno...it just seems to make God a little more like a friend than some distant figure....

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:15 pm
Well he'd better, else the Divine's existence is a rather unpleasant one. Given that God, as defined by Christian tradition, is an omniscient—probably possessing knowledge of past, present and future—observer of the universe's events, his very existence necessitates a constant state of tragic irony, in which He (the audience) is aware of our (the players') respective fates, while we remain ignorant. Furthermore, if we assume that God is responsible for most or all of the events of our lives (I'm going to ignore the overlap between omniscience and determinism for now), then he's clearly the author of a lot cosmic irony, which, if he did not have a taste for it, we would probably see little or none of.

So, yes, God is probably an ironist, even though none of your examples were actually ironic. Now, Jesus' message of love for one's fellow man metastasizing into, 'Kill them all! God will know his own'? That's irony.  

Tarrou

MrsMica

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:24 am
God is very into irony. God often LAUGHS at evil. Although in many ways evil is a serious thing, evil often thinks its hotshot, when its power is nothing next to God. Here's one example of God laughing at evil:

Pslams 59
6They return at evening, they howl like a (N)dog,
And go around the city.
7Behold, they belch forth with their mouth;
Swords are in their lips,
For, they say, "Who hears?"
8But You, O LORD, laugh at them;
You scoff at all the nations.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:02 pm
to me, God uses irony to deepen our faith. Jesus is from the poorest of the poor which shows that he cares about everyone, despite wealth. we can all become his children, no one is excluded.  

sunshinehearttrob

Lass Kyon

Aged Sex Symbol

8,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:19 am

<3

I do believe that God has a sense of humour. XD

<3

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:23 pm
MonosodiumGlutamate

<3

I do believe that God has a sense of humour. XD

<3

I hope so. Otherwise that name is sending you to hell. NO HUMOR ALLOWED. whee  

MrsMica

pjb21

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:14 am
god definatly has a sence of humour, i mean, look at the platipus XD

also all the things he has done as recorded in the bible, those you mentioned, and also other things. things happening to us on a day by day basis, sometimes people can forget this. but the amount of time god has done things for my, my friends, family or church, and just the way its turned out. he definatyl has a sence of homour. and i feel this is good because in any relationship, friendship its important that you both have a good sence of humour.

PJB21  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:20 pm
that's a good question....damn  

Jason_Jaques

destinygirl_8

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:49 pm
I believe he does, he created us with a sense of humor did he not? He sent his only Son down who hung out with 12 fishermen..out of all the time Jesus spent with those 12 guys, you cant tell me you dont think there were jokes going on back and forth. xd i believe God has a sense of humor.  
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:11 pm
sunshinehearttrob
to me, God uses irony to deepen our faith. Jesus is from the poorest of the poor which shows that he cares about everyone, despite wealth. we can all become his children, no one is excluded.

Almost all of that is accurate, but Jesus wasnt poor, He was a cartpenter. Carpenters were wealthy. where does it even imply that Christ was poor in the Bible?  

promised_child

scotch0069

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:31 pm
promised_child
sunshinehearttrob

Almost all of that is accurate, but Jesus wasnt poor, He was a cartpenter. Carpenters were wealthy. where does it even imply that Christ was poor in the Bible?

well traveling alone takes alot of money because a lot is going out, yet very little is coming in... And in an ironic sense you could say that despite his low income he could feed thousands of people (as displayed in john) the would take many many a month wages.... thats irony...  
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:19 pm
Come on, of course our wonderful father has a sense of humour! dont your guy's dads ever joke around with you? God loves to see us laugh (why? because people usually laugh when they are happy or having a good time)and god loves us so much that if he had a refrigerator our pictures would be on it!  

Sweet Angiel

dirtdevilgrunt13

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:52 pm
Irony...
No..
Because we can make our own chooses at times.
But I found God does have a sense of humor..
I mean really, look at Bush..  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces