Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply Theist to Atheist Q&A
Something to believe in Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

GlassRoses

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:26 am
I think you're a very noble and honorable person to promote tolerance and acceptance like you are.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:34 am
Thank you, just hope others view and support this effort as you and this guild have.  

Timo.exe

Timo.exe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:57 am
I've made a request out to some guilds...I'm getting nervous again. gonk  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:43 am
Timo89

Don't be nervous ^.^ You've made it through our guild alive xd  

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

Timo.exe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:40 pm
Well put. You all have helped me build up some nerve throughout this. I just was welcomed into this Jewish guild, and rather warmly I might add.(But cautiously, I'm not the first Christian to join that guild)  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:43 pm
Valdae
Timo89

Yes, but we don't have silly, intolorent religon to blind us, no do we?  

The Amazing Mr. Tommyos!

Timo.exe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:10 pm
mrtommyos
Valdae
Timo89

Yes, but we don't have silly, intolorent religon to blind us, now do we?
Well, so far so good. Every guild but the Muslim guild has accepted me and given me a warm welcome.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:41 pm
Just one more little story and the effort here will be complete and then I'll get Christian, Muslim, Jewish and Bhuddist too. Then I'll start my paper.  

Timo.exe

Azurea`

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:43 pm
Heh, My dad's Jewish. On his side of the family, at least one related carried the Jewish religon. My dad's family runs back to the days of Moses (I'm supposedly related to Moses's brother Aaron). My Jewish family line thus runs pretty far. Since I'm the only child, the Jewish religon of our family is ending with me, and since my Dad had no siblings and my grandma only had a sister but she died 30 years ago. My dad knows I'm an Atheist and he doesn't mind, even though this little family tradition is ending with me. eek
I don't know, I just felt like sharing that, maybe possibly helping you out. I don't even think it's anything fo what you're looking for though.
Ohwell... I tried.

Now I'm acutally very interested to read this paper you're writing and making so much effort to get information for. Heh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:18 pm
Well, hallo! ^________________^ I'm always happy to see people who aren't close-minded in their faith, so I'll give you an honest answer to my lack of religion.

I'm atheist because I never really had a faith to look at. I mean, yes, my grandfather is a very devote baptist, but he's a quiet one, and so is my grandmother (his wife). My mother is also a Christain, but she's not extremely flaming, either. Though when she found out that I was atheist, things got pretty tense and hectic in the home... but that could be from finding out I was gay at the time too..... sweatdrop

Anyway! I'm atheist because I can't believe in God. I mean, if I tried, I probably could, but I've always been extremely interested in science and such. Of course, the thing that started me towards atheism was the fact I couldn't understand pain and suffering on the whole large scale. And, after really studying and stuff, I realized that there couldn't be a god (excuse me for being so obviously rude to your views). Until I got to the middle of high school, I didn't even know about atheism. When I found out, that's when I decided that's what I was.

Sorry this is so long.... sweatdrop But you did ask, and I've tried not to be too insulting to you.  

EngelerDeamon

Oxygen Tanks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:33 pm
Why am I atheist?

Well, to start off, I've been agnostic my whole life. Never really was taught religion, so I was always unsure.

But this year I officially became atheist.

I looked at old religions, like what the Greeks believed. With the different gods and goddesses and the ways of living. But, their "bible stories" are now called myths.

When 2000 years ago, they were the most practiced and believed things in all of the countries of Ancient Greece.

Is that how Christianity will go? Probably. In my eyes, anyways.

And I have never had any reason to believe in God. A lot of people say they feel him. For a while, I tried that. Oh how I longed to believe. I wanted to be like my friends, always having someone who loves them being in their hearts. I never felt it. I was depressed because I wasn't having the same things that they claimed to have.

After I stopped believing, I started to get happy again. I was being myself, following what made sense to me. It took so much from me to try to believe in something that couldn't be proven to me.

Someone once told me, "Oh, that was the devil inside of you. Separating you from Jesus." I kind of just laughed.

I'm now allowed to make up my own mind?

Religion and God have also become the wrong things for people.
Instead of symbols of having love for one another and generally being a good human being, with the reward of heaven, it's been turned into a comfort blanket. A shield from the real world.

I also don't like the idea of heaven. I mean, I do. A place to stay when you die and all. But I dont like the idea that if you don't worship one god that you instantly go to hell when you die. Why would a God that loves all that he makes send one of his own to hell for believing in him in a different way?

I also don't like the strong dependence on the bible for things to believe in. I do not like how people take everything so literally in it and forget that it was, in fact, written by man. And translated. If the bible were taken literally, we'd all be salt. neutral

I was not born in a family that practices atheism. In fact, I am hiding it from a few family members for their sakes..

I have nothing against the Christians and those who believe. I just don't like how some of them automatically jump to conclusions that the next time I get upset I'm going to assume I have nothing to live for and I'll kill myself...  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:36 pm
EngelerDeamon

Sorry this is so long.... sweatdrop But you did ask, and I've tried not to be too insulting to you.
Not a problem and I am not offended at all good sir. Thanks. =D  

Timo.exe

Timo.exe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:14 pm
This has been rather fun actually. I hope the other threads will make it as positive as you all have. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:27 am
Today I just got three more jewish responses. =D  

Timo.exe

E_Night

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:20 pm
I am Athiest because i simply don't believe there is any supream diety. There are so many other religions who worship other god peoples and they can't all be right.

also (excluding you) many religions such as christians say that if you don't convert or join you'll go to hell or wherever. being that there are masses saying this and i've found alot of the people in the masses to be mean and nasty i wouldn't want to end up with them any way xp

there is also that so many have died in the name of the christian god. Its horrible all the bloodshed for nothing

You asked about our families... well hmm... I used to go to church with my friend and never was really into it. I got laughed at because i didn't know how to read the bible right with all its chapters and verses. Later when i didn't go to church my mom threatened us when we were bad to go to church...
Now I reply that I refuse to set foot in a building where people can go to be taught a lie. Where people pray for forgivness because they lie to a god that is a lie.

yeah... thats about it  
Theist to Atheist Q&A

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces