Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wicca: Blessed Be

Back to Guilds

For anyone interested in Wicca, Paganism, or Witchcraft 

Tags: Wicca, Pagan, Witchcraft, New Age, Community 

Reply The Academy - - [classes, how-to's, guides] - - Ostara/Mabon Party! Join us!
[Guide] Spirit Guides Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lysdexic Lolerskate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:11 pm
NOTE: This class/discussion is no longer taught/led by a teacher. However, please feel free to read through it and ask any questions that you may have or express any thoughts/opinions you have. Just please don't ask, "Can I join the class?" Because the answer is 'no'. Thank you.

Angels/Spirit Guides

Here is a little thread I have put together to discuss spirit guides and angels. I would like to teach those who are interested more about it if they would like. This information is from various book sources as well as knowledge from my years practicing Wicca. But, before I got into it, I would like to put some important points:

-Neither belong to any particular religious system. The belief in angels/guides predates modern religious structures.

-You can't own an angel or guide. They aren't your personal property.

-Angels/guides don't discriminate on religious faith

-Angels/guides create bridges between various religions.

-To call an angel/spirit guide is to rise above religious dogma and touch the universal Spirit.

Part 1. Now that we have that out of the way, lets dive in. Now, as you should probably know, there is not just one way to practice religion and there aren't any rules when it comes to angles/guides even though many people believe there are. Some people don't believe in them at all. When you think of angel, what comes to mind? Archangel Michael with his sword and good looks, John Travolta's version, or even Christopher Walken? From what I have learned, angels are believed to be the result of mixing belief systems. Angels and spirit guides simply are. They aren't specifically Christian, or Jewish, or Islamic. Digging into history, we learn that angels are "thoughts" that predate all the previously mentioned religions. Angels/guides do not exist to help a certian religion. They exist to help humans and other inhabitants on this plane--and that includes the witches.

Questions for part 1:

Do you believe in angels/spirit guides? Why or Why Not?

What do you think angels/spirit guides "are"?

Have you ever had/felt a guardian angel with you?

Do/Did you have an imaginary friend?

Part 2: The idea of a guardian angel most likely comes from the ancient philosophers, who claimed to have invisible compainions who protected them for life. Both Plotinus and Socrates declared that they had daemons who acted not only as guides, but as guardians as well. Magicans of their time also maintained that they had such helpers called parhedros (divine compainions), and many historians feel that these protectors were adopted by the early Catholic church in the form of saints. Now, if you really want to strech your imagination, figure this. Witches are angels in disguise. Now, before you get carried away and think that Witches have all those powers you see on television or can do things that Buffy can--hold that thought. Witches are angels on earth in that they have taken an oath of service to help themselves deal with life in a positive way, and once they've got their own lifes running fairly smooth (nothing is perfect, ya know), they can reach out and help others, functioning as guardians of a sort. Service is the keyword here.

Thoughts for Part 2:

-Do you think that "demons" can be guardians too?

-Do you feel that you have at least acknowleged the "oath of service"? Why or why not?

-Try and think of other ways why Witches might be called "angels on earth".

Part 3: As a note, one of the first rites a ceremonial magician might perform is the acknowledgement of his or her guardian angel in his or her life and work. Having a guide to call your very own in magickal practice is not new or unusal. The neat thing about angels/guides is that they always listen to you. You are never, ever alonge. Just because you can't see them doesn't mean that they aren't there. As you grow, their presence will sort of float in and out of your life (or so it will seem). Sometimes you think of them and ask them for helps, other times you are so busy with cheerleading practice, dates, the prom, or summer vacation that they are the furthest thing from your mind--but they're there. And the really neat thing about angels is that you don't need a big ritual, a lot of tools, or to be in a special place to contact them. All you have to do is simply open your mouth and start talking. That simple.

Thoughts for Part 3:

- Try to connect with your guide or try to find something inside you that could help you connect with a guide.

-Talk to your guide. Have a conversation and see if you can learn anything about him/her.

- Perhaps find something that reminds you of your guide or is symbolic to him/her and keep it with you.

Write your expierience in a journal or even post it on here and share what you felt. smile I'd love to hear it.

Part 4: I apologize for not updating sooner sad There are many people who have angel altars or shrines in their homes because it makes them feel better, and because the visual aids help them to relax and talk to the angels. If you feel like that would be good, use some information you gained from the exercises I suggested in part 3 to make your own. smile You can find cool angel statues around Christmas time for you or a friend. Giving a statue as a gift is like giving part of your love and good energy to the person you're giving it too. Requesting the assistance of angels/guides in magick is extremely old practice. However, you'll see most Witches working with spirits, such as a spirit of trees, flowers, crystals, not specifically angels. Though they may sound different, you are basicly working with the same energy, dealing with planetary governing, winds, days, etc. Most magickal people have at least some understanding of what it is you are dealing with and it shouldn't get too sticky, unless you're starting to pour over medieval texts about angels for certian religions but that is a completely other topic. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then disregard it. If you haven't touched it, don't try it. ^^;

So...thoughts/questions for part 4:

-If you feel that a visual aid for connecting with your angel/guide is a good idea, look for ways to create that. Tarot cards, angel statues, symbolic things. Dig into what you expierienced when you talked to your guide. (if you did). Find something that would really help you connect with him/her.

-Now that you know more about angels, will you be aware of them more?

So, this is about the end. There is a Guardian Angel Ceremony to call your angel to you when doing magick that I can put up here. Though it is a little big and slightly complex and not recomended to use for "beginners". I'm not saying that you can't call your guardian to you if you don't do this, this is just more formal. Feel free to call your guide to you at any time. smile I do it all the time at work. ^^ If you would like me to post the ceremony, please let me know. smile Take care.

Feel free to ask questions, even if I haven't addressed them yet and feel free to go beyond the questions. They are just guiding questions to help you think about what you're reading. heart

Update check on Dec. 28. Again, feel free to PM me with any questions or feel free to post them in the thread here. smile

Students:
Jen heart
Celestial Burden
BabyLove24
Kayne Aiya
-
-
-  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:12 pm
Wewt, another class! Thank you! 4laugh

I'd like to sign up, as always. Knowledge can't... technically... hurt, in my opinion.

Now for the questions. 3nodding

I like to think so. As for why, I think we're meant to get by on our own, but we do need help. We are human.

Someone on "the other side" that's there for you. Maybe a glitch in the matrix. xp

I'm... not sure. It could have just been my mum, but I have had experiences where I'm alone but someone's there. The room seems a little less daunting, and the air seems to crackle...

I always tried to have an imaginary friend, but it didn't quite work.

Aurellion

Celestial Burden

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:10 am
Oh, I'd like to sign up! Afterall, knowledge can't hurt, and I've been searching into this anyway. Okay, as for my answers to the questions:
Yes, I do. Even if we are witches, we are human, and humans often make mistakes. We all need some guidance.

Personally, I believe that they are beings that not only have the knowlege to help us, they have had first hand expirience. Put simply, beings that have at least lived one human life, and are no loonger reincarnated.

Well, I'm not entirely sure. Occasionally when I'm alone I'll feel a presence in the room, but I've always felt that since I was little and I used to think it was a penguin. So, maybe it's just an old habit.

Yes, when I was younger I had an imaginary penguin named Freddy for a friend. Well, him and several cartoon characters, but I don't think they can't.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:40 pm
Sign me up too, please ^^

Questions for part 1:

Yes. As for why... I guess I just sort of "feel" it. Besides, I've heard many stories. My cousin also contacts her Angel/Guide.

I'm not really sure. Messangers from God, or those sent to guide us on our way? That's my best guess.

I think so. Never really "conciously", such as "Oh, hi. How was your day?" "Fine. You?", but I just sort of feel it in my gut.

No, I have never had an imaginary friend.

Part two:

Do you think that "demons" can be guardians too?

Demon demons? I really don't know.

Do you feel that you have at least acknowleged the "oath of service"? Why or why not?
I think so. Although I'm still a very brand new witch, I do help others and only use magick for good and the benefit of others.

Try and think of other ways why Witches might be called "angels on earth".
First of all, they're some of the nicest, most optimistic people I've ever meant (not everyone, but many). They spread positive energy and seem to offer a type of protection.  

Sachi_x

swissfishwish1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:17 pm
Questions for part 1:

yes, because I know for a fact that I have a spirit inside my cat's body that is to look after me. I know that this spirit's name is walter nathan james. I found it out when my friends and I were using the ouija board and we figured this stuff out. walter was sent to look after me because he had had the same exact mental problems as me. he had committed suicide and was to watch after me to monitor that I didn't committ suicide. my cat follows me around all the time and sleeps in my bed with me at night, even! I know that as long as walter's around, I'll feel safe heart

Something that you can't always see, but can feel the presence of, also they sometimes live in another being like a tree, an animal or maybe even another human heart

have one currently heart

I did when I was about 4 and my mom tells me now that it was really bizarre because I had animate conversations as if I were really talking to someone. so maybe it wasn't imaginary....but a spirit

EDIT:

Thoughts for Part 2:

I'm not sure about that

-Do you feel that you have at least acknowleged the "oath of service"? Why or why not?

*feels stupid* I don't really know what the oath of service is

-Try and think of other ways why Witches might be called "angels on earth".  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:24 pm
sign me up please
Questions for part 1:

Do you believe in angels/spirit guides? Why or Why Not? yes, when ever im home alone i dont feel completly alone it's as if some one is here with me

What do you think angels/spirit guides "are"? someone or something here to keep you on track so that you are able to Fulfil your destiny

Have you ever had/felt a guardian angel with you? yes, there were several times when i was younger that i should have died by doing stupid stuff not paying attention and coming with in an inch or to of getting hit swimming in ponds full of gators

Do/Did you have an imaginary friend? not that i remember  

BabyLove24

Vampire_Aireanna

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:22 pm
Can dead pets be spirt guides?
I think they can cause whenever i need someone i swear my old cat that i called my dad for a long time comforts me. I say this cause i feel a presence and it make me think of this cat.
So can this cat be a spirt guide to guide me out of depression and thoughts of suicide?  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:46 am
Vampire_Aireanna
Can dead pets be spirt guides?
I think they can cause whenever i need someone i swear my old cat that i called my dad for a long time comforts me. I say this cause i feel a presence and it make me think of this cat.
So can this cat be a spirt guide to guide me out of depression and thoughts of suicide?
Anything that is close to your heart can be a spirit guide. Pets, family members, actual angels, imaginary friends, are all forms of spirit guides. I feel the presence of my late dog and cat all the time and that can give me comfort. Now, with the suicide part, I can't really help you there. That is your fight and you need to find the inner strength to keep moving on. In the Wiccan rede, it does say "harm to none" including yourself. So the answer to your question is yes. Pets can be spirit guides.  

Lysdexic Lolerskate

Kayne Aiya

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:17 pm
Mmm, Finally back to the academy.lol....I lost Professor Mills though.....

Anywho, I would like to be signed up for this with Jen, Kasey and Celestial Burden. Now, for those questions...

Yes I do very much. I beleive that there are guides that are brought to us to help us find our way in life.

For me, I beleive spirit guides are exactly that. Spirit guides. They help one find there destined/ desired path and to overcome certain obstacles or hurdles in life.

I feel as if there are people around me that aren't there. different thatn the question askes, maybe. But there is a familiarity to these presences, and , as of late, I have been helped by manyunknown presences on numerous occasion. All of them the same...

I used to pretend to my friends that I had an imaginary friend. It wasn't one I could see so much as feel. So, no, I've nvere had an imaginary friend.....I think....

Part two:

Demons as in demons "from the pits of hell"? I think they could be. I can't really say for certain if it would be possible or not, simply because we don't really know what the boundaries for certain things are...

Do you feel that you have at least acknowleged the "oath of service"? Why or why not?
Right now, I'd like to say yes, and ponder it a bit...

I think We might be called angels on earth because of the openness that surrounds Wiccans. Being able to accept things everywhere for who or what they are and not to pass judgement so easily...  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:01 pm
Kayne Aiya
Mmm, Finally back to the academy.lol....I lost Professor Mills though.....

Anywho, I would like to be signed up for this with Jen, Kasey and Celestial Burden. Now, for those questions...

Yes I do very much. I beleive that there are guides that are brought to us to help us find our way in life.

For me, I beleive spirit guides are exactly that. Spirit guides. They help one find there destined/ desired path and to overcome certain obstacles or hurdles in life.

I feel as if there are people around me that aren't there. different thatn the question askes, maybe. But there is a familiarity to these presences, and , as of late, I have been helped by manyunknown presences on numerous occasion. All of them the same...

I used to pretend to my friends that I had an imaginary friend. It wasn't one I could see so much as feel. So, no, I've nvere had an imaginary friend.....I think....

Part two:

Demons as in demons "from the pits of hell"? I think they could be. I can't really say for certain if it would be possible or not, simply because we don't really know what the boundaries for certain things are...

Right now, I'd like to say yes, and ponder it a bit...

I think We might be called angels on earth because of the openness that surrounds Wiccans. Being able to accept things everywhere for who or what they are and not to pass judgement so easily...

Alright, I'll put you on the list. smile Try to work on conversations with those presences that you feel. Try to get to know them. It's a lot of fun and interesting what you can find out.  

Lysdexic Lolerskate

Roufette

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:29 am
Can I still sign up?

Questions for part 1:

Sorta. I came from a catholic household, so it’s hard not to think of angels like Rafael and Michael. I believe in spirit guides though.

Representations of your inner self or other spirits that connect with you and your feelings. They can guide you without you even noticing it. Almost like your conscience.

No. Maybe when I was little, but I don’t remember.

I remember have a large blue wolf for an imaginary friend in 4th grade. I don’t remember his name, but as I look back, he makes me think of the Norse Fenrir.

Thoughts for Part 2:

Yes. Of course, but, like I said earlier, I still retain some of the Christian mindset.

I have no idea what the “oath of service” is.

I have never heard them called that and, seeing as the way people have been socialized to believe horrible things about them, would never expect to hear that.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:13 pm
Roufette
Can I still sign up?

Questions for part 1:

Do you believe in angels/spirit guides? Why or Why Not? [b/]
Sorta. I came from a catholic household, so it’s hard not to think of angels like Rafael and Michael. I believe in spirit guides though.

Representations of your inner self or other spirits that connect with you and your feelings. They can guide you without you even noticing it. Almost like your conscience.

No. Maybe when I was little, but I don’t remember.

I remember have a large blue wolf for an imaginary friend in 4th grade. I don’t remember his name, but as I look back, he makes me think of the Norse Fenrir.

Thoughts for Part 2:

Yes. Of course, but, like I said earlier, I still retain some of the Christian mindset.

I have no idea what the “oath of service” is.

I have never heard them called that and, seeing as the way people have been socialized to believe horrible things about th
r expect to hear that.

of course you can!  

Lysdexic Lolerskate

Fieryhexe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:20 am
May I join?

Questions for part 1:

I believe in more spirit guides than angels, I have trouble getting over the stereotypical christian only angel idea, but a spirit guide I can see being anything, a friend of mines spirit guide was her old friends uncle who was a very strong witch but was shot. He likes to come as an owl. I myself havent met mine that I know of, thus I am here reading all of this in hopes of learning more.

I think of them as people who once lived and learned and have a lot to offer those still living. I see them as being astral beings mostly though I think they might be of a higher plane.

I have a friend who can talk to hers and hear his replies so I know I have been in the presence of one, but had it not been for her I wouldnt have been able to tell her was there. So I have some things to work on.
(I have been afraid to open in a way that allows me to see and hear things like that so that aspect of my being never got developed, but I feel ready now.)

I never had an imaginary friend, I tried to create one at one point, I made a lion. But I don't think it really had anything real to it. I was merely trying to compensate for lack of an imaginary friend.

Thoughts for Part 2:

I do actually.

-Do you feel that you have at least acknowledge the "oath of service"? Why or why not?
I don't think I have, until now I never really knew about it, however I have always tried to be as helpful as possible to others as well as myself without being taken advantage of.

I had never heard of witches being referred to as angels on Earth to be quite frank with you, I do however understand why one would say that.

Still working on part three =P  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:19 pm
You won me over, my interest has been piqued.
~~~~~
Part 1
~~~~~

Hmmm.... Yeah, I suppose I do. Ever since I was little, I've felt like...well, like I'm never really alone. I just feel much more so, now that Mama is...on the other side.

Is that for us to know? Perhaps they are the souls of our dearly departed that wish to pass on knowledge or wisdom to us, or to protect us. Perhaps they are truly little more than elemental spirits with a conscience. Perhaps they are simply "spirits" as we have defined them, and are entirely separate from us. But I think that the first is the most likely, seeing as how people can develop close bonds with their guardian spirit.

Yes. In so many words, though I can't say certainly that it was.... It was a "feeling". One of connection....

Not in the typical way, no....
~~~~~
Part 2
~~~~~

Hmm. Don't know. Of course, a malicious spirit would have little reason to protect anyone....

Do you feel that you have at least acknowledge the "oath of service"? Why or why not?

I am Love's. That is a deeper bond, a truer oath than any I could swear with my tongue.

Can't. I don't consider anyone alive to be an angel. A saint maybe, but not an angel. Though I understand what you mean....
~~~~~

Love and Vale!
~Leavaros Dapple  

Leavaros

The Academy - - [classes, how-to's, guides] - - Ostara/Mabon Party! Join us!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games